Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2015!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2015!

Post by VictoriaF »

TheTimeLord wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:The Retirement Class of 2014 has 59 members. The 2015 class already has 51 members. I am sure it can surpass the last-year class by the time the year is over.

Victoria
How are recent retirees dealing with the corrections. Figure most would be down around 5% since retiring not counting distributions. Wondering what techniques they are using to adjust or are they still in a wait it out mode?
In my case, there is very little impact from the stock market decline. I hold a lot cash and fixed income to supplement my pensions and to pay for Roth conversions. As I am approaching the end of the first year in retirement, I am realizing that I have significantly under-spent my budget.

Victoria
Definitely would expect the folks on pensions or SS to be much less effected. But the early retirees would likely be living virtually entirely off their portfolios.
I am an early retiree with a long way before I will start collecting Social Security. And precisely for this reason my portfolio is overweighed in fixed income making me antifragile to the market behavior.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

Retired in May 2013. Finally answered the roll call and change my name to JW-Retired.
JW
Retired at Last
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2015 as of 14 September 2015: <-- replaced by an updated list
11 Sep - cpauger (60) <-- Congratulations with your recent retirement! Let us know how it feels.

Currently, 51 class members.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

JW-Retired wrote:Retired in May 2013. Finally answered the roll call and change my name to JW-Retired.
JW
JW,

Thank you for answering the call. With over two years of experience as a retiree please provide the Class of 2015 with your tips about happy retirement. Thanks!

Victoria
Jim85

Post by Jim85 »

Didn't quite graduate. Decided to go part time for now, still qualify for benefits at 30 hrs week. Work at home 1 day, 1 day off, 3 days in office. Not bad so far.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Jim85 wrote:Didn't quite graduate. Decided to go part time for now, still qualify for benefits at 30 hrs week. Work at home 1 day, 1 day off, 3 days in office. Not bad so far.
Would you like me to keep you on the Roll as is or change it?

Victoria
Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 »

FreddieG wrote:Today is my last day after over 32 years with the same large corp. I waited for Sep 1 to be my last day so that I could get medical ins through 9/30. Our retiree health benefits were taken away by our uber-famous multi-billionaire owner a few months ago.

But ACA costs aren't that bad.

I am 58. I plan to do some contracting (software developer) for a while. I just relocated, so still paying off lots of expenses.
Is this common at large corporations? I think my employer, large public company, ends health care the day you leave as I recall.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2015 as of 24 September 2015: <-- replaced by an updated list
22 Sep - digarei (59) <-- Congratulations with your recent retirement!

Currently, 51 class members.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
digarei

Post by digarei »

Thank you, Victoria. :mrgreen:
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.
OffGridder

Post by OffGridder »

Handed in my badge, laptop, keys and walked out the door for the last time an hour ago. Now time for a beer and all day retirement bash on Friday.
"Goodness is the only investment that never fails." | H.D. Thoreau
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2015 as of 30 September 2015: <-- replaced by an updated list

Have graduated:
16 Apr - CMHBuckeye <-- Congratulations with your retirement and joining the Class!
30 Sep - midmoder <-- Warmest congratulations to a newly minted retiree!
30 Sep - OffGridder (58) <-- Warmest congratulations to a newly minted retiree!

Currently, 52 class members.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

OffGridder wrote:Handed in my badge, laptop, keys and walked out the door for the last time an hour ago. Now time for a beer and all day retirement bash on Friday.
Congratulations! Enjoy the beer and the retirement bash,

Victoria
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

Wow.

I just reviewed this thread and saw that I "signed up" on January 6th. That was a milestone. Another milestone was submitting official notice with my employer. What a surreal and liberating experience that was!! It's "out there" now. My colleagues know. The powers-that-be have been served notice. I'm in the pipeline, so to speak.

And, over the past few weeks, making it official has passed the "sleep at night" test. No nagging doubts. No intuitive check. It's the right thing at the right time.

My announcement has made me somewhat of a walking Rorschach Test at work. Colleagues read into my decision their own hopes, aspirations, plans, fears, doubts, or anxieties. I've been surprised by those who are happy for me and supportive of my (somewhat) early departure, and those for whom it is foreign and incomprehensible.

So far, rather fascinating. So far, so good...
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell
CMHBuckeye

Post by CMHBuckeye »

Retired on April 16, 2015. I had a custom Seven Axiom SL road bike built up as my retirement gift. Retirement has been good and I'm looking forward to many more miles on the road.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

cinghiale wrote:Wow.

I just reviewed this thread and saw that I "signed up" on January 6th. That was a milestone. Another milestone was submitting official notice with my employer. What a surreal and liberating experience that was!! It's "out there" now. My colleagues know. The powers-that-be have been served notice. I'm in the pipeline, so to speak.

And, over the past few weeks, making it official has passed the "sleep at night" test. No nagging doubts. No intuitive check. It's the right thing at the right time.

My announcement has made me somewhat of a walking Rorschach Test at work. Colleagues read into my decision their own hopes, aspirations, plans, fears, doubts, or anxieties. I've been surprised by those who are happy for me and supportive of my (somewhat) early departure, and those for whom it is foreign and incomprehensible.

Hi cinghiale,

I am guessing that submitting the official notice was a more dramatic event than reporting to the Bogleheads Class of 2015 or even having the last day at work. I was agonizing over the moment when I would have to tell my boss that I were leaving, but I got lucky. My Agency has announced a retirement incentive and I applied for the offer.

I think you should make some rough decisions for what you would do on the day of retirement, the next day, the first year of retirement. You may not follow your today's plans if something better comes along but they would provide a default.

Best wishes!
Victoria
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

CMHBuckeye wrote:Retired on April 16, 2015. I had a custom Seven Axiom SL road bike built up as my retirement gift. Retirement has been good and I'm looking forward to many more miles on the road.
Congratulations CMHBuckeye,

I added you to today's list (above). Happy biking!

Victoria
eastwayroad

Post by eastwayroad »

Sign me up please
Oct 5, 2015!
DFrank

Post by DFrank »

You can add me to this list for Dec 18 please.
Dave
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2015 as of 06 October 2015: <-- replaced by an updated list
18 Dec - DFrank <-- Welcome to the Class!

Have graduated:
02 Feb - RCL <-- Welcome to the Class!
05 Oct - eastwayroad <-- Welcome to the Class! Warmest congratulations to a newly minted retiree!

Currently, 55 class members.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

eastwayroad and DFrank,

You are in! Welcome to the Class!

Victoria
RCL

Post by RCL »

Late to join, but my last day was Feb 2nd...What a great feeling
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

RCL wrote:Late to join, but my last day was Feb 2nd...What a great feeling
Welcome to the Class, RCL! I added you to today's list above. Enjoy your retirement,

Victoria
mrpuck

Post by mrpuck »

My last day of work was June 30th, 2015. I recommend retirement. Now I have time to read this forum.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2015 as of 10 October 2015: <-- replaced by an updated list
Have graduated:
30 Jun - mrpuck <-- Welcome to the Bogleheads! Welcome to the Class!
08 Oct - cadreamer2015 <-- Warmest congratulations to a newly minted retiree!

Currently, 56 class members.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

Checking in... HR accepted and processed package...sold old house, and spouse moved into recently purchased (and paid off, of course) house in new destination (many, many miles away) and I'm living for a few more weeks like the old grad student days...but without the thesis or defense :) Will be back for a few days shortly..it is a great location and really calming, can't wait for it to be permanent !

Congrats to the rest of the class as I join you shortly

Post by 2015 »

cinghiale wrote:Wow.

Retired 5/1515 at age 60. All four paragraphs describe(d) my experience exactly:

Paragraph 1, "surreal and liberating" giving notice...check
Paragraph 2: "sleep at night" test...check
Paragraph 3: Loved the Rorschach reference, absolutely true
Paragraph 4: "Fascinating" is a good descriptor in my case, too
rick0

Post by rick0 »

Belatedly noticed this thread!

I retired at age 60 on 1/16/2015.

So far, pretty much as I expected.
One totally unexpected change:
My blood pressure went from 135/85 to 120/75 !!
Volkdancer

Post by Volkdancer »

Phew! Just caught up with this thread! Been a bit slow on the uptake since retiring! Officially retired May 17, 2015, but was able to leave town on the ninth, and the state two days later. Been on the road ever since and am now sipping an iced cappuccino on the balcony of Costa Coffee watching the Tinle River flow into the Mekong at Phnom Penh. Haven't figured out what to do for the rest of my life but will worry about that later. I may leave it to y'all to be responsible.
Karl V
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2015 as of 05 November 2015: <-- replaced by an updated list

Have graduated:
16 Jan - rick0 (60) <-- Welcome to the Class!
15 May - 2015 (60) <-- Welcome to the Class!
17 May - Volkdancer <-- Welcome to the Class!
01 Nov - Hondo <-- Welcome to the Class!

Currently, 60 class members.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

2015, rick0, and Volkdancer,
Welcome to the class! Best wishes for a productive retirement.

Nearing_Destination,
Excellent progress in nearing the destination!

Victoria
Hondo

Post by Hondo »

Retired as of November 1. It feels great!
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Hondo wrote:Retired as of November 1. It feels great!
Congratulations, Hondo! I added you to the list above, you rounded the size of the Class to 60.

Victoria
wigrad

Post by wigrad »

I'm in. my last day was July 2nd and I have been having a great time every day since.

:D
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Count me in as of April 1. As I told everyone at work when I announced it, "This is NOT an April fools joke."

Left the madness of Washington, DC after 30 years and have very(!) happily relocated to Santa Fe. Added a motorcycle and a mountain bike to go along with my road bike, and I aim to cover as many miles on 2 wheels as I do on 4.

I didn't find this forum until several months after retirement, but it is already a great resource.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2015 as of 18 November 2015: <-- replaced by an updated list
31 Dec - jeffG <-- Welcome to the Class!

Have graduated:
01 Apr - chuckb84 <-- Welcome to the Class!
02 Jul - wigrad <-- Welcome to the Class!

Currently, 62 class members.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

wigrad wrote:I'm in. my last day was July 2nd and I have been having a great time every day since.

:D
chuckb84 wrote:Count me in as of April 1. As I told everyone at work when I announced it, "This is NOT an April fools joke."

Left the madness of Washington, DC after 30 years and have very(!) happily relocated to Santa Fe. Added a motorcycle and a mountain bike to go along with my road bike, and I aim to cover as many miles on 2 wheels as I do on 4.

I didn't find this forum until several months after retirement, but it is already a great resource.

wigrad and chuckb84,

Welcome to the Bogleheads and to the Class of 2015. Best wishes for your retirement!

Victoria
jeffG

Post by jeffG »

Didn't know I was going to be class of 2015, but got offered and accepted an incentive package and last day will be December 31, so just made it under the 2015 wire!
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

jeffG wrote:Didn't know I was going to be class of 2015, but got offered and accepted an incentive package and last day will be December 31, so just made it under the 2015 wire!
Welcome to the class, jeffG! I added you to today's list above,

Victoria
DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley »

I also got "an offer I couldn't refuse" early retirement incentive.

Officially retired 12/31/2015, but last working day is Dec 9th......because I am using up vacation days.

Looking forwards to spending more time on my many hobbies, and enjoying new grand-children.

Thanks
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2015 as of 23 November 2015: <-- replaced by an updated list
04 Dec - Blackwood <-- Welcome to the Class!
31 Dec - DaleMaley <-- Welcome to the Class!

Have graduated:
01 May - JimSmiley1850 <-- Welcome to the Class!

Currently, 65 class members.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JimSmiley1850

Post by JimSmiley1850 »

Retired May 1 and busy with squash, learning golf, a bit of travel, church and volunteer work. So busy forgot to register. Also attended AAII conference and found it also a good learning experience.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

JimSmiley1850 wrote:Retired May 1 and busy with squash, learning golf, a bit of travel, church and volunteer work. So busy forgot to register. Also attended AAII conference and found it also a good learning experience.
Congratulations, JimSmiley1850! I added you to today's list,

Victoria
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

I'll just get in under the wire. My date is 4 December 2015.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Blackwood wrote:I'll just get in under the wire. My date is 4 December 2015.
Congratulations! I added your name to the 22 November list above.

Victoria
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2015 as of 04 December 2015: <-- replaced by an updated list

Have graduated:
04 Dec - Blackwood <-- CONGRATULATIONS!

Currently, 65 class members.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sandramjet

Post by sandramjet »

Looks like I will just make in this class... 12/31 is last official day....
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

Congratulations! I might see you guys in, oh, 8 years or so.
delamer

Post by delamer »

I somehow missed this thread until now.

Wednesday, September 30 was my official retirement date. Thirty-one years of federal government service, plus several more in the private sector.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
dowse

Post by dowse »

Congrats to all. See you on the Class of 2016 Roll Call on April 1 (no foolin')
UncleMax

Post by UncleMax »

New poster here (this is only my second post).

I am officially retiring on Dec 31, 2015 at age 50 (on Oct 29).

FYI, Just finished reading The Bogleheads Guide to Investing (2nd Edition) after receiving it yesterday. It encompasses everything I learned on my own over the past 1/2 century through trial and error. I can attest to the fact that it will lead one to an early retirement if one so chooses. By coincidence (well after much reading on the subject in general) I have been implementing nearly every topic covered for many years. I highly recommend it to all. I will be giving it out as Holiday gifts this year!

Looking forward to becoming part of this community.

UncleMax