Wisconsin - Madison Meetings - Master Thread

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Mrs.Feeley

Re: Wisconsin - Madison Meetings - Master Thread

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Just a reminder that Saturday (day after tomorrow) the Madison Bogleheads will be meeting at Sprecher's at noon.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Just a reminder to all... The Madison-area Bogleheads are meeting this Saturday, August 12, at noon at Sprecher's on Madison's far west side near Costco. Come for food, friends, and good free-ranging investment discussion. No charge. Only cost is if you decide to buy lunch. See you there! :sharebeer
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Just a reminder: we're meeting tomorrow (Saturday) at noon at Sprecher's on John Q Hammond Dr. See you there!
mtnest

Post by mtnest »

Hello Mrs. Feeley,

I just registered today.

Please add my email address to the Madison area Bogleheads meetup reminder list. Hope to meet you and others soon.
Thanks.

username: mtnest

email: newtodrum@gmail.com
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Welcome Mtnest! I've added you to the Google list. Our next meeting is Saturday, October 14th, noon at Sprecher's on the far west side.
EpicLeFit

Post by EpicLeFit »

Hello Mrs. Feeley,

I just registered today.

Please add my email address to the Madison area Bogleheads meetup reminder list. Hope to meet you and others soon.

username: EpicLeFit

Thank you very much! :D
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Welcome EpicLeFit! You've been added to our very prestigious mail list!

To all.... Our next meeting is Saturday, October 14th, noon at Sprecher's on the far west side.

We have a new protocol for meetings. If you're planning on attending the meeting we need you to commit to attend in advance. If not enough members plan to attend the meeting will be cancelled. We have about 40 people signed up on the Gmail list, and we've had some meetings with healthy crowds. However a couple meetings this past summer had poor attendance and the lack of attendance was not fair to the faithful who drove all the way across town to be there.

So if you're planning on attending our upcoming meeting we need you to commit by Wednesday, Oct. 11. Post a note to the Gmail list.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Just a reminder.... We're having our October meeting next Saturday at noon at Sprecher's on the far west side. Drop me a note if you plan to attend. :beer
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

A reminder: We'll be meeting Saturday at noon at Sprecher's on Madison's far west side on John Q Hammond Dr. All are welcome! Bring your friends and family.

There's no charge for attending meetings. Ordering lunch is up to you.

Discussion is free-ranging and always interesting. Have an investing question or dilemma you'd like to discuss? Pose it to the group and we'll do our best to offer advice.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Hey, Madison (W) Bogleheads, it's time for our late-fall meeting!

Saturday, Dec 9, noon at Sprecher's Pub
1262 John Q. Hammons Dr., Madison, on the far west side near Costco

(By the way, the current Bucky Book has a coupon for 2-for-1 entrees.)

If you plan to attend please drop me a note by Wednesday, Dec. 6. :beer
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

A reminder.... Next Saturday is our noon meeting at Sprecher's Pub, 1262 John Q. Hammons Dr., Madison, on the far west side near Costco.

Please drop me a note by Wednesday if you plan on attending.
PackersFan12

Post by PackersFan12 »

Mrs. Feely, could you please add me to the Madison Bogleheads meetup? I would love to join. Thanks
jeffreys

Post by jeffreys »

I am new to Bogleheads and would like to get involved in a Madison area meetup. Will you add me to a list or is there something I need to do?
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

kriskd wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:21 pm I am new to Bogleheads and would like to get involved in a Madison area meetup. Will you add me to a list or is there something I need to do?
Drop me a private note with your e-mail and I'll sign you up for our Google mail list.

Our next meeting is Saturday, February 10th, noon at Sprecher's on John Q Hammon Drive on the far west side near Costco.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Hello Wisconsin Bogleheads! Join us Saturday, February 10th for our bi-monthly meeting. Noon at Sprecher's Pub on the far west side of Madison at 1262 John Q. Hammons Dr.

One of our fellow Bogleheads will be giving a presentation on his excellent interactive investment/inflation modeling script.

Otherwise conversation will be loud, raucous and free-ranging as usual. As well as informative.

Please join us for lots of fun, good people and food!

There's no fee for attending the meeting. Feel free to order lunch (or not). The private room in front of the restaurant has been reserved just for us.

Only request is that if you plan to attend please RSVP by Feb. 7th That's so other members will have an idea of how many will be in attendance.

Our meeting schedule for the rest of the year is:

April 14, Saturday, noon at Sprecher's
June 9, Saturday, noon at Sprecher's
August 11, Saturday, noon at Sprecher's
October 13, Saturday, noon at Sprecher's
December 8, Saturday, noon at Sprecher's

If any of you are interested in offering a presentation on a topic you're interested in or which you think would be of interest to the rest of the group, especially newcomers, please drop me a note. We love presentations. Only requirement is that the presentation is not commercial and does not involve any type of sales pitch.

Similarly, if any of you have a request for a topic you'd like to see addressed by the group, or questions to be discussed at the meeting, please post it to our Google e-mail group. To sign up send me a PM with your e-mail address.

See you Saturday, Feb 10 at Sprecher's!
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Hello Bogleheads! Join us Saturday, February 10th for our bi-monthly meeting. Noon at Sprecher's Pub on the far west side at 1262 John Q. Hammons Dr.

One of our fellow Bogleheads will be giving a presentation on his excellent interactive investment/inflation modeling script.

Otherwise conversation will be loud, raucous and free-ranging as usual. As well as informative.

Please join us for lots of fun, good people and food!

There's no fee for attending the meeting. Feel free to order lunch (or not). The private room in front of the restaurant has been reserved just for us.

Only request is that if you plan to attend please RSVP by Feb. 7th That's so other members will have an idea of how many will be in attendance.

Our meeting schedule for the rest of the year is:

April 14, Saturday, noon at Sprecher's
June 9, Saturday, noon at Sprecher's
August 11, Saturday, noon at Sprecher's
October 13, Saturday, noon at Sprecher's
December 8, Saturday, noon at Sprecher's

If any of you are interested in offering a presentation on a topic you're interested in or which you think would be of interest to the rest of the group, especially newcomers, please drop me a note. We love presentations. Only requirement is that the presentation is not commercial and does not involve any type of sales pitch.

Similarly, if any of you have a request for a topic you'd like to see addressed by the group, or questions to be discussed at the meeting, please post it to the group.

See you Saturday, Feb 10 at Sprecher's!
jeffreys

Post by jeffreys »

How do you want RSVPs? In the google mailing list or here? Regardless, hubby and I will be there tomorrow!
Jay Dee

Post by Jay Dee »

Really? I missed a meet up by a week? Arrgghh. Please add me as newbie. I didn't see a PM option.
Deltaflaze

Post by Deltaflaze »

I haven't attended any meetings, but just saw that Sprecher's is closing on Friday permanently! I remember passing this thread and that you held meetings here. Didn't want this group to miss that announcement :(
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Hey Madison, Bogleheads, we're meeting next Saturday, April 14th at noon, at Sai-Bai Thong restaurant at 6802 Odana Road. Sprecher's is no longer in business.

We have no speaker scheduled, so it's general investment chit-chat.

Please RSVP by Thursday if you plan to attend so others will know how many are attending. Drop me a note via PM or post to the Madison Bogleheads Google Group. If you'd like to join the Google Group please PM me.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

A reminder: The Madison-area Bogleheads are meeting this Saturday at noon at Sa-Bai Thong restaurant at 6802 Odana Road on Madison's west side.

Please RSV if you plan to attend. So far we have 4 RSVPs.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

A reminder, the Madison-area Bogleheads are meeting today at noon at Sa-Bai Thong restaurant at 6802 Odana Road on Madison's west side.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Hey Madison Bogleheads it's time for our June meeting. Join us next Saturday, June 9, at Sai-Bai Thong Thai restaurant at 6802 Odana Road, on Madison's West side near West Towne Mall.

Usually our meetings start at noon, but this month Sai-Bai Thong has booked another party in our room at 1 p.m. So.... An arrival time of 11:30 a.m. will give us 1.5 hours to eat and chat. Does that sound sufficient?

If you're planning on attending please drop a note so others have an idea of how many will be attending.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

A reminder, the Madison Bogleheads will be meeting this Saturday at 11:30 a.m. at Sai-Bai Thong restaurant on Odana Rd. on Madison's west side. (Ordinary we meet at noon, but the restaurant has scheduled another party at 1 pm.)

Jon Wedell will be giving a presentation on crypto-currencies. What they are, how they work, etc.

If you plan on coming please drop a note so members have an idea of how many will attend.
Jessibell

Post by Jessibell »

Mrs.Feeley wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:28 pm A reminder, the Madison Bogleheads will be meeting this Saturday at 11:30 a.m. at Sai-Bai Thong restaurant on Odana Rd. on Madison's west side. (Ordinary we meet at noon, but the restaurant has scheduled another party at 1 pm.)

Jon Wedell will be giving a presentation on crypto-currencies. What they are, how they work, etc.

If you plan on coming please drop a note so members have an idea of how many will attend.
Hi Mrs. Feeley - I'm interested in coming but I can't send PMs yet (just registered even though I've been following posts on the site for awhile). Can you count me in?

Jessi
BanditKing

Post by BanditKing »

Planning to be there, but can't stay for long as I need to be in Sun Prairie at 1:00. Hope to learn some things though :)
jeffreys

Post by jeffreys »

Is there an August meetup planned or did I miss it? I think the scheduled date would have fallen on August 11.
greenflamingo

Post by greenflamingo »

Commenting to make sure I see future meetings. New to the forum and would be interested if there are any meetups planned this winter.
Bratbill

Post by Bratbill »

Is this still a thing?
Redbeard the Pirate

Post by Redbeard the Pirate »

Bratbill wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:50 pm Is this still a thing?
I'm not sure, but if it is, I'd be interested in going. Reading further up the thread, it looks like meetings are planned through a Google Group. Perhaps there are still meetings being organized and they just haven't been posted here? It's likely that someone involved is subscribed to the thread, will see our posts, and can provide an update.
LarryG

Post by LarryG »

Our meetings this year, 2019, are May 11, July 13, Sept. 14, and Nov. 9
We meet at noon at Swagat's Indian Restaurant (http://www.swagatindianrestaurant.com/) on the west side of Madison at 707 N. High Point Rd. near the Alicia Ashman Public Library.

Join us

LarryG
Bratbill

Post by Bratbill »

Thanks Larry, I’m hoping May 11 stays open on the calendar !
Is there a program or just meet and discuss ?
I’m debating going to a financial planner and thought this might be a 1st step.
Redbeard the Pirate

Post by Redbeard the Pirate »

Thanks, LarryG. I should be able to make it to the May meeting.
CeggiaRadar

Post by CeggiaRadar »

Hi Bogleheads -

I've been a lurker for several years, but have recently jumped in and officially joined the forum.

I'm interested in attending the meetings you mention above for the Madison area. Is this a "walk-in" situation, or is there an official joining process?

I live in Fitchburg.

Thanks for our help in advance . . .

Radar
snowox

Post by snowox »

Yea this would be great! Unfortunately I am suppose to be in Indianapolis that weekend. I live about halfway between Madison and Milwaukee so if something changes would LOVE to join in. Will follow to found out the details as well
LarryG

Post by LarryG »

To those interested.
We have no formal application or requirements- just interest. This is a “walk in” group There is no charge and all are welcome. Some spouses attend. We even had a child attend with his father (he told me that he didn’t find the discussion interesting)
Swagat has a large lunch buffet or you can order from the menu or not eat.
Some meetings are general discussion and some have a topic or a presentation.
Hope to see you

LarryG
greenflamingo

Post by greenflamingo »

Love swaggat. Hope to make it in May.
CeggiaRadar

Post by CeggiaRadar »

If anyone is keeping track of attendees for the 11 May meeting, I am planning to attend. Will there be a topic, or just general discussions? This is my first meeting.

Radar
Bratbill

Post by Bratbill »

I’ll likely be there as well with my wife.
She’s coming for the food though and may read a book during meeting!
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Hey, Madison Bogleheads! We have a meeting this upcoming Saturday, May 11 at Noon at Swagat's, an Indian restaurant at 707 N. High Point Rd., on the far west side, in the shopping strip on the corner of Old Sauk Rd. and High Point, where the Alicia Ashman library is located
http://www.swagatindianrestaurant.com

Come as you are. Bring friends. No fee to join. We don't have any particular topic of discussion scheduled, but our freewheeling discussions are always fascinating.

If you'd like to be added to the Google Group to receive notices of our upcoming meetings please drop me a private message with your e-mail address.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Greetings Wisconsin Bogleheads! Our next meeting is this coming Saturday (July 13) at 10 a.m. in the public meeting room at the Middleton Library, 7425 Hubbard Ave., Middleton, next to Hubbard Avenue Diner.

There is no agenda. Meetings are free. Bring your friends and family.

If you would like to be added to our Google Groups e-mail list to be informed of upcoming meetings and news please drop me a note.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

The Madison Bogleheads will be meeting this Saturday, Sept. 14, at 10 a.m. at Middleton Public Library, meeting room in the lower level.

We had a pretty lively group last time so this month's meeting will probably be even more informative since many are back from vacation. There is no set agenda but all are free to propose discussion topics.

As always our meetings are free to attend. Bring your friends and family.
Jay Dee

Post by Jay Dee »

Looking to sit with a true tax planner for people of our group or possibly the Madison AAII sub chapter.

I've always done my own taxes and probably will continue to do so, but I'ld like to know if you guys know/use a real planner vs. a glorified tax preparer? I have a handful of questions that I'd be willing to pay for answers but I want someone who knows the answers because they've been there and done that vs. needing to look into it or badgering to do my returns.

I think this person might even consider wanting to come to a meeting of ours (probably best if we agreed to buy them lunch) to possibly drum up future business and we'd all get a very informative meeting our of it.

Sorry, but I don't think I can make it this Saturday, so please share any info being shared!!

-John
tonkatsu1

Post by tonkatsu1 »

New boglehead just moved to the Madison area. Would love to meet fellow bogleheads. Is there a group or email chain for me to jump on to learn about future meetings?
Isaac'sFoundation

Post by Isaac'sFoundation »

Jay Dee wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:55 am Looking to sit with a true tax planner for people of our group or possibly the Madison AAII sub chapter.

I've always done my own taxes and probably will continue to do so, but I'ld like to know if you guys know/use a real planner vs. a glorified tax preparer? I have a handful of questions that I'd be willing to pay for answers but I want someone who knows the answers because they've been there and done that vs. needing to look into it or badgering to do my returns.

I think this person might even consider wanting to come to a meeting of ours (probably best if we agreed to buy them lunch) to possibly drum up future business and we'd all get a very informative meeting our of it.

Sorry, but I don't think I can make it this Saturday, so please share any info being shared!!

-John
I am the leader of the Madison AAII special interest group, hosting speakers on various financial topics. Since I have been the leader, two speakers have presented on tax topics. The first was in 2016, before the TCJA, by multiple SVA Plumb tax experts. Info on SVA Plumb can be found at this link: https://accountants.sva.com/individual- ... n-rockford.
In 2018, Jessica Mac Naughton, a partner at Wipfli, spoke about the TCJA. The Wipfli sight is at: https://www.wipfli.com.
I thought the speakers from both organizations showed great command of the material. That said, I have no personal experience with either organization, other than via the presentations.
FWIW, you may have trouble attracting a speaker for the Bogleheads group, as one of the first questions potential speakers ask is, how large of an audience can you promise. I can tell people the Madison AAII group averages 50 attendees, which is modestly attractive, at best. I suspect the Bogleheads average is much lower.
FWIW, I do my own taxes, am a bit of a tax geek and will likely continue to do so, unless complexity ramps up considerably. I hope this response is helpful!
Isaac'sFoundation

When/where will the next meeting be held? Thanks.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Greetings Madison Bogleheads! Join us for our November meeting, this Saturday, Nov. 9, at 10 a.m. at the Middleton Public Library. Lower level, different meeting room than the last meet-up due to a book sale. No specific topic(s) of discussion have been set. As always meetings are free, bring your friends, join the Madison Bogleheads for freewheeling, wide-ranging discussions about index investing. See you there!

Jay, great idea about having a tax planner or preparer address our group. We've discussed this possibility in the past but so far no accountant has been found. Do you have any suggestions?

We have a Gmail group for announcements of Madison Bogleheads meetings. Anyone who's interested in joining please send me a private message with your e-mail address.
Isaac'sFoundation

For those of you on my AAII email list, my apologies for the duplication, and for those of you not on my list, I thought you might find my recent email informative:

Congress has passed a two-year budget bill, which is expected to receive a presidential signature shortly. The SECURE Act was attached to this bill and it makes some significant changes that affect retirement planning. A few key details are listed below:
  • Increases the retirement account RMD age from 70½ to 72. Note this is not retroactive, so if you are already taking RMDs or will turn 70½ this year, you will not see a change. Also, ROTH IRAs still have no RMD requirements for the original owner or a spousal beneficiary. I don’t have the details, but this likely pushes QCDs, for those not pulling RMDs on the 70½ schedule, out till age 72. (Today's Wall Street Journal quotes Ed Slott stating it remains at 70½, which surprises me. I would want further confirmation before assuming this is correct)
  • Removes the age limitation on IRA contributions, so those continuing to work past 70½ may contribute to an IRA.
  • Elimination of the stretch IRA provisions. Non-spouse beneficiaries will have a 10-year period to disburse the account balance.
My take is that it is a mix of good and bad, like most new laws, depending on your personal situation. Anyone who expects to work into their seventies, who does not need income from their retirement accounts or who anticipates leaving a significant tax-deferred legacy to heirs, will want to carefully review their tax strategy. FYI, my favorite financial blogger, Michael Kitces, will post a detailed analysis of the changes this Monday, on his website, Nerd’s Eye View: https://www.kitces.com

CFA Society Madison has a few upcoming educational events that may be of interest:
  • Thursday, Jan 16: 2020 Markets Outlook - Opportunities and Pitfalls, presented by Cantor Fitzgerald’s Chief Market Strategist Peter Cecchini. This is a lunch event.
  • Wednesday, Jan 29: 2020 outlook for the U.S. Equity Markets, presented by UBS’s Head of U.S. Equity Strategy Francois Trahan. This is the 19th Annual Outlook Dinner.
Note these are not free. Details and registration info can be found at the CFA Society Madison Events Page: https://www.cfasociety.org/madison/Pages/Events.aspx

Madison may have a larger than typical share of employees who worked at jobs that did not participate in Social Security and who may be impacted by the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) and/or the Government Pension Offset (GPO). Recently my favorite blog writer (Michael is a staggeringly prolific) penned two detailed articles on these rules, which are the best I have ever read. If you have worked at a job that did not contribute to Social Security and you have/will receive a pension from that job, you may want to explore these articles to learn more about the rules.

https://www.kitces.com/blog/navigating- ... t-pension/
https://www.kitces.com/blog/government- ... -benefits/

Hope you find this info useful!
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Mrs.Feeley wrote: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:09 pm A reminder: The Madison Bogleheads will be meeting at noon on Saturday, Dec. 13th, at Sprecher's Pub, 1262 John Q. Hammond, Dr., on Madison's far west side. See ya there!
So, Trip Advisor lists this site as closed. Are they incorrect?

Sprecher's Restaurant & Pub - CLOSED

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... onsin.html

FYI, I am just off Odana. I hope the meeting place is close to my location given the winter conditions.
Isaac'sFoundation

Sprecher's in Madison has closed permanently. I have not heard about a Dec 2019 meeting. Any admin comment on any upcoming meetings?
Trader Joe wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:21 pm
Mrs.Feeley wrote: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:09 pm A reminder: The Madison Bogleheads will be meeting at noon on Saturday, Dec. 13th, at Sprecher's Pub, 1262 John Q. Hammond, Dr., on Madison's far west side. See ya there!
So, Trip Advisor lists this site as closed. Are they incorrect?

Sprecher's Restaurant & Pub - CLOSED

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... onsin.html

FYI, I am just off Odana. I hope the meeting place is close to my location given the winter conditions.