Wisconsin - Madison Meetings - Master Thread

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
BanditKing

Re: Wisconsin - Madison Meetings - Master Thread

Post by BanditKing »

Anything upcoming in the Madison area?
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Our next Madison, WI meeting is Saturday, February 14th at noon at Sprecher's.

There was a good turnout at our last meeting. Members decided to continue the casual format of general chit-chat. There was also agreement to continue holding the meetings at Sprecher's and to hold them on the second Saturday of alternate months, a schedule alternating months with the Milwaukee chapter.

Meeting schedule for the rest of the year:

Saturday, February 14, noon
Saturday, April 11, noon
Saturday, June 13, noon
Saturday, August 8, noon
Saturday, October 10, noon
Saturday, December 12, noon

If you would like to receive e-mail notifications of meetings please send me your e-mail address.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

A reminder: The Madison Bogleheads will be meeting at noon this coming Saturday, February 14h, at Sprecher's Pub, 1262 John Q. Hammond, Dr., on Madison's far west side. See ya there!
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

A reminder that next Saturday is the April meeting of the Madison Area Bogleheads. That's Saturday, April 11 at noon at Sprecher's Pub at 1262 John Q. Hammonds Dr., on Madison's far west side.

The Madison Boglehead group meets every other month, on the second Saturday of the month, at noon at Sprecher's.

If you would like to be added to our e-mail list please send me a PM.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Please join us for the June meeting of the Madison Area Bogleheads. Saturday, June 13 at noon at Sprecher's Pub at 1262 John Q. Hammonds Dr., on Madison's far west side.

Remember, Bogleheads meets every other month, on the second Saturday of the month, at noon at Sprecher's.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Please join us for the June meeting of the Madison Area Bogleheads. This Saturday, June 13 at noon at Sprecher's Pub at 1262 John Q. Hammonds Dr., on Madison's far west side.

We're planning to hold a special summer evening meeting in August. Date to come.

Otherwise the Madison, WI Bogleheads meet every other month, on the second Saturday of the month, at noon at Sprecher's.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

At our last meeting we decided to hold an evening meeting in August since so many of us are busy on Saturdays in the summer. I've posted a Doodle poll to determine what night would be best. I've chosen two evenings in mid-August, kind of at random, Thursday, August 13, and Tuesday, August 18. Please select one that you can absolutely, positively commit to attend.

LarryG will be giving a presentation on his evolution as an investor. LarryG always has great stories and this is sure to be the Madison Bogleheads event of the year, so if you attend no other meeting this year make it this one.

I'll close the poll August 1st, so get your vote in early.

http://doodle.com/hip9y3v488nycm5v

See you at the meeting! As usual it will be at Sprecher's on John Q. Hammond Drive.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Madison Members... If you haven't yet voted for the day you'd like to attend our upcoming Incredible August Meeting featuring the investing adventures of Larry, please head to the Doodle poll now! See you there!

Mrs.Feeley wrote:At our last meeting we decided to hold an evening meeting in August since so many of us are busy on Saturdays in the summer. I've posted a Doodle poll to determine what night would be best. I've chosen two evenings in mid-August, kind of at random, Thursday, August 13, and Tuesday, August 18. Please select one that you can absolutely, positively commit to attend.

LarryG will be giving a presentation on his evolution as an investor. LarryG always has great stories and this is sure to be the Madison Bogleheads event of the year, so if you attend no other meeting this year make it this one.

I'll close the poll August 1st, so get your vote in early.

http://doodle.com/hip9y3v488nycm5v

See you at the meeting! As usual it will be at Sprecher's on John Q. Hammond Drive.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Hey, folks. Results of the Doodle Poll are in. This month's meeting will be on:

Thursday, August 13th at 7 PM at Sprecher's on John Q. Hammond Drive.

Join us then for a terrific talk by Larry about his adventures in investing through the years. See you there!
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

A reminder that the Madison Bogleheads will be meeting this Thursday evening, August 13, at 7 pm at Sprecher's on John Q. Hammond Dr. See you there!
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Join us for the fall meeting of the Madison, Wi Bogleheads this Saturday, October 10, noon at Sprecher's Pub on John Q. Hammond Dr. on the far west side. The topic of discussion will be tax-loss harvesting. See you there!
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Don't forget today's meeting of the Madison Bogleheads! Noon at Sprecher's on John Q. Hammond Drive. See you there!
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Our next meeting is this coming Saturday, December 12, noon at Sprecher's Pub on John Q. Hammond Drive on Madison's far west side. Bring your friends and see you all there! :beer
WIAV8TOR

Post by WIAV8TOR »

Hey guys & gals, just saying 'hello', new to the site. I'm down here in Walworth County and have been a Vanguard fan going back a good ways, over 20.

Not sure if I'll ever make a meeting, but never know.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

WIAV8TOR wrote:Hey guys & gals, just saying 'hello', new to the site. I'm down here in Walworth County and have been a Vanguard fan going back a good ways, over 20.

Not sure if I'll ever make a meeting, but never know.
We'd love to have you join us! We have a really good group with lots of knowledgeable and interesting people. If you'd like to be added to our e-mail list send me a PM.

Remember folks, meeting of the Madison Boglers tomorrow!
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

If you happen to be in southern Wisconsin consider joining the Madison-area Bogleheads for our bi-monthly meeting. Noon on Saturday, February 13, at Sprecher's Pub on John Q. Hammond Drive on the far west side near Costco's. See you there and stay warm!
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

If you're in southern Wisconsin join us tomorrow (Sat., February 13) for the Madison Bogleheads meeting at noon on at Sprecher's Pub, 1262 John Q. Hammond, Dr., on Madison's far west side. See ya there!
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

Glad to hear that you are still meeting. It sounds like you have grown a bit since your first meeting. Our MN group has grown surprisingly over the past year with the last two meetings at 60 +. (We had been in the 30-40 range with our quarterly meetings.)

Perhaps our agenda has contributed to our ability to draw. In November we had a speaker on behavioral finance, and a week ago we had a panel discussion of various approaches to asset allocation.

Our agendas are always posted on line if you are looking for ideas for discussions.

Best Regards,

Tom R.
dave_k

Post by dave_k »

I discovered this forum a couple months ago but didn't notice there were local meetings here until the day after. :oops:

Hope it went well yesterday. What was the turnout? Are you meeting again in April?
Mary G

Post by Mary G »

I just found this message board can somebody tell me when and where the next meeting is in Madison
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Mary G wrote:I just found this message board can somebody tell me when and where the next meeting is in Madison
Hi, Mary! Our next meeting is Saturday, April 9, at noon at Sprecher's on John Q. Hammond Drive, on the far west side. Drop me a private e-mail if you'd like to be added to our Gmail list and kept informed of upcoming meetings.
lesleyme

Post by lesleyme »

Hello-
First post here. I would like to be included on the email notifications for upcoming meetings in Madison.... Who and how do I email..?
Thank you!
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

lesleyme wrote:Hello-
First post here. I would like to be included on the email notifications for upcoming meetings in Madison.... Who and how do I email..?
Thank you!
You can join our group by sending an e-mail to Madison-wi-bogleheads@googlegroups.com
Or you can send me an e-mail via Private mail and include your e-mail address.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Don't forget to join the Madison Bogleheads for our bi-monthly meeting, this Saturday, April 9, noon at Sprecher's Pub on John Q Hammond Drive on the far west side. Fun, great conversation and burgers. See you there!

If you'd like to join our Google Mail group to learn more about out get-togethers, drop me a private note with your e-mail address.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

If you're in Wisconsin this weekend consider joining the Madison Bogleheads for our bi-monthly meeting, Saturday, June 11, noon at Sprecher's Pub on John Q Hammond Drive on the far west side. A great group of people sharing great advice, plus beer and burgers. Newbies and newcomers always welcome.

If you'd like to join our Google Mail group to learn more about out get-togethers, drop me a private note with your e-mail address.
dennisswal

Post by dennisswal »

I am a long time follower of the Boglehead forum. I just never noticed this part of the forum. I would like to take part in the Madison group if that's possible. Thanks!
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

dennisswal wrote:I am a long time follower of the Boglehead forum. I just never noticed this part of the forum. I would like to take part in the Madison group if that's possible. Thanks!
Hi, Dennis. Send me a private message with an e-mail address you'd like to use to receive notices about meetings and I'll add you to the Madison Bogleheads Gmail group. Our next meeting is the second Saturday in August at Sprecher's Pub on the far west side on John Q. Hammons Drive near Costco.
dennisswal

Post by dennisswal »

What time is the August meeting? It will be my 1st time. Long term follower of the forum.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

dennisswal wrote:What time is the August meeting? It will be my 1st time. Long term follower of the forum.
We always meet at noon, second Saturday every other month, at Sprecher's on John Q Hammond Drive on the far west side near Costco.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Join the Madison Bogleheads this Saturday, Aug. 13, for our late summer meeting. Bring your friends and family. Bring your investing questions too. Others are sure to be able to provide good advice. Good conversation, good food. Noon at Sprecher's Pub on John Q Hammond Dr. on the far west side near Costco's.

If you have any particular investing subjects you'd like us to discuss just drop a note. All suggestions are good.

See you there!
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Don't forget, tomorrow is the August meeting of the Madison (WI) Bogleheads. Noon on Saturday at Sprecher's Pub at 1262 John Q Hammons Dr. on Madison's far west side near Costco's. Join us for good conversation, good food, good times. See you there!
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Don't forget Madisonites: next Saturday, Oct. 8, is our bi-monthly meet-up at Sprecher's Pub on John Q Hammond Drive, on the far west side near Costco. Join us at noon for lunch, fun, and conversation with lots of great Madison Bogleheads. See you there!

Remember: the Madison Bogleheads meet the second Saturday of every other month at noon at Sprecher's.
sneakyturtlesss

Post by sneakyturtlesss »

I didn't realize there was a regular Bogleheads meetup in Madison! I will try to make it on Saturday!
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

sneakyturtlesss wrote:I didn't realize there was a regular Bogleheads meetup in Madison! I will try to make it on Saturday!
You won't be disappointed. We have a good group of people and meet-ups are always lots of fun. If you'd like to be added to our Google Group and receive e-mails about upcoming meetings drop me a PM with your e-mail address.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

A reminder: today (Saturday, Oct. 8) is our bi-monthly meet-up at Sprecher's Pub on John Q Hammond Drive, on the far west side near Costco. Join us at noon for lunch, fun, and conversation with lots of great Madison Bogleheads. See you there!

Remember: the Madison Bogleheads meet the second Saturday of every other month at noon at Sprecher's.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Take a break from the holiday madness to join the Madison, WI Bogleheads for investing discussion this...

Saturday, December 10, 2016, Noon at Sprecher's

That's Sprecher's Pub on the far west side at 1262 John Q. Hammons Dr. near Costco, west of the Beltline

All topics are open for discussion. From 401Ks to dollar-cost averaging, our lively members are eager to offer advice and perspective on any investing question you may have. Come join us for lunch and spirits, good people and a good time!

See you there! And Happy Holidays!
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

You may remember me, I was in Madison for your first meeting a few years ago. I may be able to attend this session as I will be in town for my Grandson's birthday.

If you want to talk a little about organization I'd be happy to bring some materials we use in the Twin Cities. You may have progressed beyond that, or decided to take a less structured route.

Our most recent meeting's focus was estate planning. Sandra (another of the MN BH steering committee) and I both took an estate planning class at the University of Minnesota. I did an hour long synopsis of the class with a Q and A approach. I will bring those materials along in case there is interest.

About a year ago I did a presentation on asset allocation glide paths - some of that material may be of interest as well.

Are most members of your group retired or close to retirement? That would be good to know as I think back on topics where I have done some research for the MN BH meetings. Also, about how many people come to an average meeting?

Peter Foley (aka Tom)
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Peter Foley wrote:You may remember me, I was in Madison for your first meeting a few years ago. I may be able to attend this session as I will be in town for my Grandson's birthday.

If you want to talk a little about organization I'd be happy to bring some materials we use in the Twin Cities. You may have progressed beyond that, or decided to take a less structured route.

Our most recent meeting's focus was estate planning. Sandra (another of the MN BH steering committee) and I both took an estate planning class at the University of Minnesota. I did an hour long synopsis of the class with a Q and A approach. I will bring those materials along in case there is interest.

About a year ago I did a presentation on asset allocation glide paths - some of that material may be of interest as well.

Are most members of your group retired or close to retirement? That would be good to know as I think back on topics where I have done some research for the MN BH meetings. Also, about how many people come to an average meeting?

Peter Foley (aka Tom)
That would be great, Tom! We'd love to see you! And any ideas or materials you can offer on planning meetings going forward would be wonderful.

Estate planning is a topic we haven't broached, but I think there would be a lot of interest in it.

I'd say that our group is evenly split between those who are retired or close to retirement, and younger folk who pop in occasionally. The group is pretty broad-based. We have done a few topic-based meetings, but our discussions are generally free-ranging as those who attend meetings seem to vary so much in their interests and questions. Conversations are always lively and definitely interesting.

A reminder to those reading this thread:

The Madison, WI Bogleheads will be meeting tomorrow (Saturday) at Sprecher's Pub on John Q Hammonds Drive on the far west side of Madison near Costco. Noon for lunch. See you there!
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

Here is one of the articles I mentioned regarding withdrawal strategies by Darrow Kirkpatrick. It is an update of an earlier article. I think the earlier article is easier to understand. http://www.caniretireyet.com/the-best-r ... ng-deeper/

Here is the calculator web site that produces charts: https://portfoliocharts.com/

One of many articles on the Rising Equity Glide Path approach to asset allocation. The basic premise is to be a bit conservative around the time you retire: https://www.kitces.com/blog/should-equi ... ly-better/

And another: https://www.onefpa.org/journal/Pages/Re ... 0Path.aspx
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Thank you so much, Peter, for the links! And thank you (quite belatedly) for speaking at our last meeting and sharing your wisdom! :beer

The next Madison-area Bogleheads meeting will be on Saturday, February 11th, at noon, at our usual hang-out, the front room at Sprecher's Pub on John Q. Hammonds Dr, near Costco on the far west side.

Our meeting schedule for the rest of the year at Sprecher's is:

Saturday, April 8th, noon
Saturday, June 10th, noon
Saturday, Aug. 12, noon
Saturday, October 14, noon
Saturday, December 9, noon

Would anyone like to attend an evening meeting sometime this year?

Does anyone have any suggestions for meeting speakers or topics?
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

A reminder: The Madison-area Bogleheads will be meeting this Saturday, Feb. 11, at noon at Sprecher's Pub on the far west side near Costco's. Join us for fun, good food and lively investing-related discussion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you missed it here's a meeting schedule for the rest of the year:

Saturday, February 11, 2016, Noon at Sprecher's
Saturday, April 8, 2016, Noon at Sprecher's
Saturday, June 10, 2016, Noon at Sprecher's
Saturday, August 12, 2016, Noon at Sprecher's
Saturday, October 14, 2016, Noon at Sprecher's
Saturday, December 9, 2016, Noon at Sprecher's

That's Sprecher's Pub on the far west side at 1262 John Q. Hammons Dr. The private room in front of the restaurant has been reserved for the above dates.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Lawyer Matt Underwood of the Wilson Law Group in Madison will be giving a presentation on estate planning, trusts in Wisconsin and other pertinent issues at our next luncheon meeting on April 8th. At our last meeting Matt answered members' questions about estate planning and it was a lively discussion. Matt has kindly offered to address some of the issues that clients most often pose when they begin the estate planning process, as well as answer questions from Bogleheads. If you have any interest in estate planning or any questions you'd like to pose to an estate attorney, please join us. Matt's presentation is sure to be illuminating and helpful no matter where you are in the estate-planning process.

Like all of our meetings, Bogleheads meetings are free. Your only cost is your lunch and only if you wish to order something off the restaurant menu.

Our next meeting, the one at which Matt will be our featured speaker, will be held on:

Saturday, April 8th, at noon
At Sprecher's Pub on John Q Hammond Dr., on the far west side of Madison, west of the Beltline near Costco

Our meetings usually run from 1.5 to 2 hours, depending upon how much stuff people have to discuss. No need to stay for the entire meeting if you can't (another question I get).

We meet the second Saturday of every month for lunch at Sprecher's. The room in the front of the restaurant is reserved for our group and that's where to find us. For the rest of the year our meeting schedule is:

Saturday, Aug. 12, noon
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Remember, at our next meeting next Saturday you can ask questions of lawyer Matt Underwood of the Wilson Law Group in Madison.

Matt will be giving a presentation on estate planning, trusts in Wisconsin and other pertinent issues at our next luncheon meeting on April 8th. At our last meeting Matt answered members' questions about estate planning and it was a lively discussion. Matt has kindly offered to address some of the issues that clients most often pose when they begin the estate planning process, as well as answer questions from Bogleheads. If you have any interest in estate planning or any questions you'd like to pose to an estate attorney, please join us. Matt's presentation is sure to be illuminating and helpful no matter where you are in the estate-planning process.

Like all of our meetings, Bogleheads meetings are free. Your only cost is your lunch and only if you wish to order something off the restaurant menu.

Our next meeting, the one at which Matt will be our featured speaker, will be held on:

At Sprecher's Pub on John Q Hammond Dr., on the far west side of Madison, west of the Beltline near Costco

Our meetings usually run from 1.5 to 2 hours, depending upon how much stuff people have to discuss. No need to stay for the entire meeting if you can't (another question I get).

We meet the second Saturday of every month for lunch at Sprecher's. The room in the front of the restaurant is reserved for our group and that's where to find us. For the rest of the year our meeting schedule is:

Saturday, Aug. 12, noon
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

Hopefully I am not hijacking the thread if I ask Madison area Bogleheads what it is like to retire in the Madison area? My daughter, her husband and my two granddaughters live in Madison and my wife and daughter are dialing up the pressure for us to relocate there from central Ohio. I always said that I would not chase either of my daughters around the country because just as soon as we sell our house in central Ohio and relocate my daughter and her family might relocate again and then we will be either relocating again or stuck in a city/state that we would not have otherwise chosen for retirement.

All that said, I have come to realize that there are few forces on this earth stronger than the attraction for a grandmother to her grandchildren and I want my wife to be happy. I keep seeing Wisconsin come up as one of the ten worst states for retirement. I suppose that is primarily due to state and local taxes and perhaps cold and snowy winters (I hate cold and snowy winters).

So my question for Madison area retirees, is the state of Wisconsin as bad as they say it is in many of the lists of the worst states to retire in?
BanditKing

Post by BanditKing »

I'm not yet at retirement age (46), but have been thinking about it.

I would not want to retire in Madison. Winters are cold. And seem to get colder in the bones every year. Taxes in the state seem high, services are get fewer and fewer, and the economy, at least outside Dane County (Madison) isn't all that great. Property taxes are through the roof. Housing costs in Madison are also exploding right now - it's a poor time to be buying a home in my opinion. (if I was moving here, I'd probably rent and wait for a crash),

My IPS has me moving to a tax-advantaged state when I retire, and maybe sooner depending on my job situation. Madison is a wonderful town of great people, but the costs are high for a BH-thinking person.

Of course, grandchildren are certainly a counter-argument.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Agree with BanditKing. I love living in Madison. The people are great, the university offers many opportunities for learning and culture through its superb libraries, plays, concerts and lectures, and the medical center offers excellent medical care. It's also easy to get around town by bus--mostly. Some years back Money magazine ranked one of Madison's satellite towns as the best place to live in America.

But the property taxes are ghastly, as they are throughout Wisconsin. About $6K/year for a $250K house, giving Wisconsin the second highest property tax rates in the country behind Oregon. State income tax rates are also high averaging about 5.75 percent. Making this a very expensive state in which to retire.

Seems like the majority of retirees I know are snowbirds, living in Arizona or Florida during the winter for golf, sailing, biking, etc. Some of us however do enjoy the winter climate. :D
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

A reminder to Madison Bogleheads: Join us on Saturday for a presentation and discussion with estate planning attorney Matt Underwood of the Wilson Law Group in Madison.

Matt will be giving a presentation on estate planning, trusts in Wisconsin and other pertinent issues. He will be answering questions and the discussion is sure to be enlightening.

dave_k

Post by dave_k »

Mrs.Feeley wrote:Agree with BanditKing. I love living in Madison. The people are great, the university offers many opportunities for learning and culture through its superb libraries, plays, concerts and lectures, and the medical center offers excellent medical care. It's also easy to get around town by bus--mostly. Some years back Money magazine ranked one of Madison's satellite towns as the best place to live in America.

But the property taxes are ghastly, as they are throughout Wisconsin. About $6K/year for a $250K house, giving Wisconsin the second highest property tax rates in the country behind Oregon. State income tax rates are also high averaging about 5.75 percent. Making this a very expensive state in which to retire.

Seems like the majority of retirees I know are snowbirds, living in Arizona or Florida during the winter for golf, sailing, biking, etc. Some of us however do enjoy the winter climate. :D
I like living here too, but my wife and I are planning to retire to Florida as our primary residence. Not sure we'd want to retire here (at least not year round) but many of my neighbors are retired and happy here.

The taxes in the city of Madison are high, but they are somewhat lower in many of the nearby towns - including the one referenced above as the best place to live, where we happen to be.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Just a reminder Madison Bogleheads: Join us at our meeting tomorrow morning at Sprecher's. Lawyer Matt Underwood of the Wilson Law Group will be giving a presentation on estate planning, trusts in Wisconsin and other pertinent issues.

Saturday, Aug. 12, noon
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

The Madison-area Bogleheads will be meeting this Saturday, June 10, at noon at Sprecher's Pub on the far west side near Costco's. Join us for fun, good food and lively investing-related discussion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you missed it here's a meeting schedule for the rest of the year:

Saturday, June 10, 2016, Noon at Sprecher's
Saturday, August 12, 2016, Noon at Sprecher's
Saturday, October 14, 2016, Noon at Sprecher's
Saturday, December 9, 2016, Noon at Sprecher's

That's Sprecher's Pub on the far west side at 1262 John Q. Hammons Dr. The private room in front of the restaurant has been reserved for the above dates. There's no fee for attending the meeting. Come as you are. Order lunch off the menu if you wish. See you there!