Wisconsin Bogleheads group dead?

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
renjuzone

Wisconsin Bogleheads group dead?

Post by renjuzone » Sun May 18, 2014 10:43 pm

i tried adding myself to the WI Bogleheads Yahoo group (which is just full of spam) and also emailed Eric Haban but haven't gotten a reply from him either. Is the WI bogleheads group dead? Id like to be involved in a WI Boglehead group if possible. Anyone from South Central Wisconsin a boglehead?

CFOKevin

Re: Wisconsin Bogleheads group dead?

Post by CFOKevin » Sun May 18, 2014 11:18 pm

I'm a new (old) Boglehead in Madison who would be interested in a local meet up sometime.

I've seen Eric post and expect he'll reply to this.

Kevin

BanditKing

Post by BanditKing » Sun May 18, 2014 11:24 pm

I'm from the Madison area. Haven't seen any sign of WI Bogleheads action around here, really.

LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE » Mon May 19, 2014 1:18 am

I'm in Milwaukee, but haven't been successful in contacting anyone with that group.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.

Tabasco

Post by Tabasco » Mon May 19, 2014 5:16 am

I am also in Madison and would be interested in a local meeting.

LarryG

Post by LarryG » Mon May 19, 2014 7:48 am

I am in Madison and would be interested in a local meeting.
LarryG

Tabasco

Post by Tabasco » Mon May 19, 2014 8:06 am

How about lunch or coffee sometime this summer? Or we could have an actual meeting in a conference room I have access to on the West side of Madison.

triggerfish10

Post by triggerfish10 » Mon May 19, 2014 8:36 am

Fitchburg Boglehead here. I would also be interested in meeting up sometime.
"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest" - Albert Einstein

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Mon May 19, 2014 9:01 am

I'm a few miles west of Madison. I would love to meet up.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

haban01

Post by haban01 » Tue May 20, 2014 3:41 pm

Good Afternoon,

The "Yahoo" group worked nicely for awhile until the spammers took over! I've made a number of attempts to gather over the past year. It is always hard because we have clusters of BH's in say Madison, Milwaukee and Up North in say Green Bay and north!

We should set up a Meeting in Madison and one in Milwaukee. I tried Green Bay last fall and there wasn't enough interest. In the past their has been strong interest in the MKE area.

What days/times generally work good? Weekday night or weekend afternoon??

If I can't make the Madison meeting, LarryG will do an awesome job!!! :).
Eric Haban | | "Stay the Course" | "Press on Regardless" | | Wisconsin Bogleheads Chapter Coordinator

renjuzone

Post by renjuzone » Tue May 20, 2014 3:47 pm

A Madison meet sounds like a good plan. I like Tabasco's idea of meeting - props if we have access to a meeting room - if we have a quick agenda. Else, lunch on a saturday say mid June/July may be easier. Looking forward!

trackermike

Post by trackermike » Tue May 20, 2014 4:02 pm

I'm in Milwaukee and would also love to have a meetup sometime!
-- | Mike | | "...no one ever had "I achieved alpha" inscribed on their tombstone." - Larry Swedroe

metfire

Post by metfire » Tue May 20, 2014 4:49 pm

Another Madison-area Boglehead here (or, maybe I should more accurately refer to myself as a Boglehead wannabe -- I'm trying to keep up, though). I'd definitely be interested in a meeting, too. I'll try to represent the town of Windsor satisfactorily. :happy Thanks!

Imdeng

Post by Imdeng » Tue May 20, 2014 5:10 pm

I am in Milwaukee and would be very much interested in meeting up. We should make this happen. An evening of like minded folks meeting over some agreeable beer would be wonderful.

triggerfish10

Post by triggerfish10 » Tue May 20, 2014 5:28 pm

It looks like the majority of folks who posted live in/around the Madison area, so would anyone object to meeting in Madison? And while I can't speak for everyone, a weekend afternoon would personally work better for me, but with a bit of advance notice I may also be able to do a weekday evening. I fear that it will be difficult to arrange a place and time that will accommodate everyone (obviously), so perhaps we should try to arrange a meeting that works for the majority. Thoughts?
"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest" - Albert Einstein

Imdeng

Post by Imdeng » Tue May 20, 2014 5:54 pm

I would like to get the ball rolling for a Milwaukee meeting. A Fri evening perhaps? Any takers??

LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE » Wed May 21, 2014 10:23 am

I just tripped back over this thread this morning. Is there a way to contact a group on the forum?

I'm in Milwaukee and would join a meeting. Friday evening was suggested so far, and I'll suggest we also consider Thursday evening because it might be tough to find an open Friday evening now that the weather is getting so good.

Presuming this weekend is out (memorial day weekend) for me, Friday is open this week May 23, the following week, May 30 and then not again until Friday July 18. Thursdays for me are easier to schedule.

nayr8099

Post by nayr8099 » Wed May 21, 2014 10:41 am

MKE is too far from me, but if there is ever enough to meet in Wausau I would definitely be interested.

renjuzone

Post by renjuzone » Wed May 21, 2014 10:51 am

Hi,
It sounds like we have significant interest in meeting for both the Madison and Milwaukee areas - especially during a non-holiday weekend. I've taken the lead to setup a doodle for those who can meet in the Madison area. Once we have a date/time nailed, we can figure out the logistics about meeting location, lunch/dinner vs meeting etc. Please take a moment to fill in your availability to meet at Madison on this doodle link. Please ensure you also write your boglehead username so that it is easy to coordinate communication.

Looking forward to meeting many of you,

R J

LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE » Wed May 21, 2014 2:38 pm

Here's a poll one for Milwaukee: https://doodle.com/u55n74ttm525znwb

P.S. The server for doodle.com takes a few minutes to send you the code to complete the login. I left thinking it had failed. But once I just left the page open, eventually the email with the code needed to complete signing up came in.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed May 21, 2014 6:22 pm

Is there a need to break the WI Bogleheads into two different Local Chapters? If members want to do that, just let me know and we'll add a Milwaukee-area Chapter if someone agrees to be the Chapter coordinator.

If we do break the existing Local Chapter into two groups, perhaps the existing group can be renamed to a more localized area?

Again, keep me informed both here and via PM and I'll make the necessary changes on the Local Chapters Map.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Imdeng

Post by Imdeng » Wed May 21, 2014 6:23 pm

I have added myself to the doodle. Thanks for setting it up.

BanditKing

Post by BanditKing » Wed May 21, 2014 10:41 pm

For what it's worth, a meeting on a weeknight is my preference for the Madison meeting. Weekends during the summer are for camping and getting out of town as much as possible, especially since I'm closing on some wooded acreage north of the Dells. :)

I did update on the Doodle, but had to "can not make it" for the proposed dates.

lululu

Post by lululu » Wed May 21, 2014 11:17 pm

haban01 wrote:Good Afternoon,
The "Yahoo" group worked nicely for awhile until the spammers took over!
You have to moderate your group. Verifying that membership requests are genuine will prevent most spamming, and if someone spams, toss them out immediately. Owning a group is not a no work situation.

LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE » Thu May 22, 2014 7:20 am

I'm adding a master thread for Wisconsin to this section of the forum, as suggested by previous posters under Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community. Please post a quick note there and then you'll be able to check for posts by clicking on "View your posts" which appears near the top left of the page under "Board Index"

Milwaukee has 3 who will meet THURSDAY May 29 at noon.

We need a location, and I'm assuming we will be eating lunch. I don't know where the other two attendees are, and Doodle doesn't let me contact them without already having their email addresses. So, I'll throw out a suggestion and I'm open to other ideas as well.

Bollywood Grill - East Town
1038 N Jackson St
Milwaukee, WI 53202
Phone number (414) 271-8200
This is Indian food and has a lunch buffet that is very good. about $12 for the buffet.

I am thinking that having three meetings sporadically around the state would be a good way to start, rather than trying to capture a state-wide group right away. Madison should have a meeting to post pretty soon, and maybe that will encourage someone from farther north to get a small group together too.

Imdeng

Post by Imdeng » Fri May 23, 2014 7:17 pm

LeeMKE - Well done to set it up. I am fine with the location proposed - see you all there on May 29th Noon.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri May 23, 2014 9:05 pm

I just added Wisconsin meetings - Master Thread to the wiki: Bogleheads® Local Chapters (Local chapters)

LeeMKE: Your meeting notice in the master thread does not have date (when...)

All new posts should go into the master thread. Everyone who posts in that thread will have it show up under View your posts whenever a new post is added. In this way, everyone will be notified.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Sat May 24, 2014 7:38 am

Titletown bogleheader here.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 25, 2014 9:54 am

FYI - I moved posts after this point to the new master thread, which is intended to keep everyone together. See: Wisconsin meetings - Master Thread

(Thread locked to redirect responses to the master thread.)
Thread unlocked so renjuzone can retitle / reorganize this thread for the Madison chapter.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

renjuzone

Post by renjuzone » Sun May 25, 2014 2:34 pm

Working with a few people, we've decided to split these meeting threads separately into separate groups.

For those interested in meeting in the Madison/Verona/Fitchburg/Middleton - WI area, please check out the Wisconsin - Madison Meetings Master Thread.
For those interested in meeting in the Milwaukee or other places in Wisconsin, please check out the Wisconsin - Milwaukee Meetings Master Thread.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 25, 2014 2:51 pm

By request from renjuzone, I'm relocking this thread to direct responses to the appropriate thread noted above.