Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2014!

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
siamond

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2014!

Post by siamond » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:24 pm

Miriam2 wrote:Siamond!
But what do you DO with these monsters when you catch them? :shock:
I got your attention, didn't I? :wink:

Catch, take a few pics, and release. Those are amazing fish, they deserve respect. Here is the same fish, happily swimming back to the depths of the river.

Miriam2 wrote:And - has retirement been good to you? I notice you are no longer standing upright . . . (although just as handsome 8-)
This fish was 5 feet long, probably between 80 and 100 pounds, I had enough troubles holding it on my knees... My local friend caught an even bigger one, we just couldn't lift it... Good thing I went to the gym 4 times a week during the winter! I am still a little sore, but definitely not complaining, retirement life and financial independence are very enjoyable! What about you?

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:07 am

Don't they do Fish Boils with large sturgeons like that?
I went to one many summers ago in Door County, Wisconsin...
Attempted new signature...

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:44 am

siamond wrote:Let's revive this thread and show that the 2014 class is very active! :D

Miriam was intrigued by my sturgeon pic last year... Wasn't quite a monster, more like a young boy. I went back and caught a few bigger ones last week. Here is one of them. And I am not even remotely close to the biggest ones in there... Let's say this one is a young adult... You don't even want to think to the 'retirees' in there...

Great job, siamond!

I am glad that you are not into phishing.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:44 pm

Dear All,

I have just returned from a wonderful trip that most of you would be horrified of. In spirit, it was consistent with the Bogleheads principles; but in practice, it contradicted all Bogleheads preferences expressed in the Personal Consumer Issues forum.

It was a 13-day tour of the Western United States in a 55-person group organized by my friends from the Czech Republic. We started and ended in San Diego, with a plan to visit:
(NP = National Park)
o La Jolla Cove in San Diego
o USS Midway in San Diego
o NP Joshua Tree
o NP Death Valley, with stops at Badwater, Artists Palette, Zabriski Point
o Las Vegas
o Hoover Dam
o Grand Canyon, South Rim
o Monument Valley
o Antelope Canyon
o Grand Canyon, North Rim
o NP Zion
o NP Bryce Canyon
o NP Arches
o NP Canyonlands
o NP Grand Teton
o NP Yellowstone
o NP Yosemite
o San Francisco - full day
o Intel’s museum in Santa Clara
o NP Sequoia
o Los Angeles - a day and a half
o Back to San Diego

The group included 52 Czechs, 2 Slovaks, and me. Most people spoke good English, some used me to refresh their old Russian.

My cost of lodging and transportation was $1,100. I am not including the flights, because I was in San Diego for another event following the trip. We stayed in low-cost motels, mostly Motel 6s, four people per room. I was sharing rooms with three women; with one of them I shared a bed. My roommates included a lawyer from Bratislava, a chemical engineer from Moravia, and an accountant from a town that produces Budweiser. We got along very well, but having four women for one shower was a bit challenging, especially as we had to be packed and ready every day by 8 AM.

The meals were not included in the price. We were on our own, and there were few opportunities to get food apart from free morning coffee at Motel 6, convenience marts at gas stations, and occasional 20-minute stops at fast food restaurants. I am not a food snob, far from it, but after the first couple days I was craving vegetables. And so I did something my mother told me never to do: I accepted a ride from a stranger. I came down to the motel reception in Las Vegas and asked where the nearest supermarket was. The receptionist directed me to a gas station mart one block away. A nice man sitting there offered to give me a ride to a Smith's supermarket, because he was going in that direction. I said 'yes' to a stranger in a Las Vegas motel, but it worked out just fine. In Smith's I loaded a few bags of salads, fruits and nuts for myself and my roommates, and my driver turned out to be a nice guy, a retired police officer from Joliet, Illinois.

Our transportation was by bus .. or at least it was meant to be. During the first few days, bus drivers were un-cooperative: they kept the A/C down which was particularly uncomfortable in the Death Valley and Las Vegas, drove 15 mph under the speed limit, and refused to drive to Yellow Stone. The bus company's office was not responding to our calls. Eventually, the bus broke in the Arches NP and we wasted two days in Moab waiting for a new bus. Our bus company contacted another bus company to provide us with bus transportation to the Salt Lake City airport. They did not pay the other bus company and terminated our contract.

We rented cars at the SLC airport, skipped Grand Teton and Yellowstone, and drove to Yosemite over night. It sounds like a nightmare, but in the retrospect, it was a fine adventure.

Of the 55 people, only a few had with them drivers licenses or were willing to drive in the U.S. Nevertheless, the Czechs have organized the transportation very efficiently. We rented 7 cars: two 12-seaters and five 8-seaters, and had 14 designated drivers and 14 designated navigators, two teams per car. I was a designated driver on a Ford Expedition. My first "shift" was to drive from somewhere in Utah to somewhere in Nevada for ~5 hours from midnight to 5 AM on the way to Yosemite. Initially, I was concerned about driving such a large car in comparison to my Honda Civic and about an all-niter, but it worked out just fine. I had an excellent navigator who was vigilant about my alertness; as there were very few other cars we were counting road-side rabbits.

My second drive was on the way to the Sequoia NP. The beginning of my shift was quite boring, but as we were approaching the park I got a thrill of non-stop sharp turns in the mountains. (The primary driver got envious and replaced me after the first stop in the park.)

Missing Yellowstone was unfortunate, but most of my co-travelers have appreciated an unplanned rest in Moab, a town they had known nothing about, and spent it in the motel swimming pool. We also walked into the town, which must have been a sight, because no one except the Czechs and me walks in Moab.

From SLC on we were traveling by cars, which was more fun than the bus. We had various misadventures, but in the end they all ended well. In Arizona, nine people embarked on a Rim-to-Rim hike, but only six of them have emerged on the North Rim the next day. One guy was not feeling well, and two guys stayed with him. Later the weak guy was evacuated by a helicopter to the South Rim, whereas the two guys climbed the North Rim. Two women hired a car to pick them up. They drove almost 1,000 miles in about 20 hours, and on the way back had a minor collision with a deer. In Bryce Canyon, we lost one guy who went on a hike that turned out much longer than he had estimated. He was more than an hour late, was not responding to our communications, and eventually we left the park without him. Later, he made his way to the Salt Lake City airport and we reunited with him there. In San Francisco, one of our cars was broken into in the Golden Gate Bridge parking lot. In a San Francisco Chinatown restaurant, I was grossly overcharged.

But all's well that ends well. Eventually, we all have returned to San Diego safe and sound. I'll travel with this group again. It was challenging but very social and fun. It felt like a student travel rather than a retirement travel, and I think traveling in retirement like a student is healthy.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

cfs

Post by cfs » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:00 am

Great sitrep!

Thank you shipmate Victoria for the situation report (sitrep). You had a good shift from UT to NV (from 0001-0500 at night when things are not as hot outside in the summer (no, it is not cool at night in the summer in those desert roads, but at least it is less hot). Wow (your mom protected you again) but accepting a ride from a stranger was dangerous (mothers knows best). Wishing you and all our shipmates (those in the workforce and those in the retiredforce) great adventures!

Thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:38 am

Thank you cfs!

Life is exciting; caution be damned. On the way to the supermarket I was stressed about riding with a stranger I've just met in a cheap Las Vegas motel. On the way back from the supermarket, I wished the ride were longer so that I could hear more of his stories about crime and punishment in the Chicago area.

Victoria

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:59 pm

I have just celebrated 2.5 years in retirement. It's getting better and better.

I highly recommend that Bogleheads (retired and otherwise) consider taking comedy classes and follow up with performances. The advantages are numerous:
- Comedy makes you laugh, and laughter prolongs your life.
- Performing is very creative. In Improv you have to think on your feet. In Standup you create your own routines.
- Improv enhances the quickness of your mind.
- When taking courses and performing you meet many new people and build a multi-generational social circle.

I took several Improv courses in 2015-2016, and for the past several weeks, I was taking two Standup courses in two places in parallel. One course is expensive and includes extensive feedback from the instructor and other students. The other course is free, organized by our local library, and includes established comedians as guest speakers and opportunities to go to open mics.

Last week I had my first four open mics: Monday, two on Wednesday, and Thursday; and yesterday we had our class's "graduation performance." It went very well, and now I raised my ambition to do more open mics and to get booked for longer performances. I don't expect to make any money off it, but the fun value is tremendous.

Next week, I will have a graduation performance of my expensive class, which will take place in one of the most popular comedy clubs in D.C. The club will provide a videographer and I'll get a video of my performance, which I will use to apply for gigs.

Hope my fellow Class of 2014 graduates are enjoying retirement as much as I do. Please report your successes and tips.

Victoria

siamond

Post by siamond » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:32 pm

I'm going to drive from MA to MO and back, small step by small step, staying a few days to fish in each state on the way. In some cases, meeting local friends, in other cases, going completely blind, just a name on the map with a nice river passing by. Another form of improv, I guess. :wink: A total of five weeks, leaving by the end of April. This will be my third road/fishing trip like that. Life is good when you have complete freedom to do whatever you want.

PS. I'll see Fort Knox on the way. But it appears that I might get shot on sight if I get too close, definitely no visit allowed. Oh well.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:42 pm

siamond wrote:Another form of improv, I guess. :wink:
It's improv for both you and the fish. And serendipity for you if you catch some. Please post pictures!

Enjoy your trip,
Victoria

maria00200

Post by maria00200 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:52 pm

I "retired" in 2014 when I was 43. My husband is the main breadwinner in the home. He tells me I don't have to work if I don't want to, so I decided to be a full time stay at home wife, and mom of a teenager. I stay busy from sun up till sun down. I literally make it a job to be a housewife. Since I stopped working, I learned to be a better cook and my home is always organized. :)
:D

siamond

Post by siamond » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:57 pm

VictoriaF wrote:It's improv for both you and the fish. And serendipity for you if you catch some. Please post pictures!
Since you ask... Here is an anonymous picture, but yes, I did catch this fish (and released it in good health). This is a smallmouth buffalo. 47 pounds and change. I kid you not. Caught in Texas (yes, in a river) just a few weeks ago. Those kids were quite excited to see such a beast. I was too! :wink:

siamond

Post by siamond » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:59 pm

Another pic (heck, you asked!). It barely fit on my landing mat... Good thing I had a monster net with me. :beer

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:01 pm

siamond wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:It's improv for both you and the fish. And serendipity for you if you catch some. Please post pictures!
Since you ask... Here is an anonymous picture, but yes, I did catch this fish (and released it in good health). This is a smallmouth buffalo. 47 pounds and change. I kid you not. Caught in Texas (yes, in a river) just a few weeks ago. Those kids were quite excited to see such a beast. I was too! :wink:

Wow! It's as big as a mermaid {laughing}

Proud for my classmate,
Victoria

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:02 pm

siamond wrote:Another pic (heck, you asked!). It barely fit on my landing mat... Good thing I had a monster net with me. :beer

I can't wait for Miriam2 to see this!

Victoria

siamond

Post by siamond » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:06 pm

VictoriaF wrote:Wow! It's as big as a mermaid {laughing}
What can I say? As I'm sure you know, retirees with a funny accent tend to attract interesting and lovely people... :wink:

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:59 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
siamond wrote:Another pic (heck, you asked!). It barely fit on my landing mat... Good thing I had a monster net with me. :beer

I can't wait for Miriam2 to see this!
Victoria
siamond wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:Wow! It's as big as a mermaid {laughing}
What can I say? As I'm sure you know, retirees with a funny accent tend to attract interesting and lovely people... :wink:
Good lord Siamond :shock: :shock: It must have taken you all day to wrastle that creature :wink: What are all those furry things around its mouth?

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:17 pm

VictoriaF wrote:I have just returned from a wonderful trip that most of you would be horrified of.
I figured you were off on some dangerous adventure :shock:
VictoriaF wrote:Life is exciting; caution be damned.
Oh dear, what next.
VictoriaF wrote:On the way to the supermarket I was stressed about riding with a stranger I've just met in a cheap Las Vegas motel. On the way back from the supermarket, I wished the ride were longer so that I could hear more of his stories about crime and punishment in the Chicago area.
I knew it. Quite frankly Victoria, this is just not safe. Perhaps a leisurely cruise down the Danube? Next thing we'll know you'll be out all night, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil :wink:

See, this is what happens when a Boglehead has their portfolio on well-positioned autopilot. Since she has no need to check her portfolio regularly or to tinker with it or to stress out or worry about it, she has time to get into trouble :D

siamond

Post by siamond » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:21 pm

Miriam2 wrote:Good lord Siamond :shock: :shock: It must have taken you all day to wrestle that creature :wink: What are all those furry things around its mouth?
Barbels. They feel food on the bottom thanks to them. A moustache with tastebuds, if you wish... Very useful!

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:22 am

Miriam2 wrote:Next thing we'll know you'll be out all night, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil :wink:

See, this is what happens when a Boglehead has their portfolio on well-positioned autopilot. Since she has no need to check her portfolio regularly or to tinker with it or to stress out or worry about it, she has time to get into trouble :D
You are spot on, Miriam!

With my latest passion for comedy I became a creature of the night. Last week I performed at four open mics covering three jurisdictions: Virginia, Maryland and DC. Being new, I am always one of the last performers, and while I'm waiting I'm expected to order something from the bar. And then there is an adventure of getting home by public transportation, especially from D.C. which has recently legalized a common mood-affecting substance (Hint: it's not comedy).

But I am happy. I am reliving my teenage years. Who would have thought?

Victoria

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:07 pm

VictoriaF wrote:But I am happy. I am reliving my teenage years. Who would have thought?
Victoria
How wonderful, we're very happy for you! You certainly deserve it. Ah, perhaps an audition for SNL? :D

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:11 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:But I am happy. I am reliving my teenage years. Who would have thought?
Victoria
How wonderful, we're very happy for you! You certainly deserve it. Ah, perhaps an audition for SNL? :D
SNL for me is more remote than a 3-comma portfolio. My current ambition is to graduate from 5-minute free open mics to 10-minute $20 gigs.

Victoria

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:28 pm

Just got back (to Oregon) from my usual 2-week volunteer stint in Florida and have 2 international trips lined up for this year: Peru (Amazon cruise) and France (Lyon and ?). I am seriously considering doing a round-the-country solo driving trip (my 3rd) in 2018. I have snagged invitations to visit great ape and primate sanctuaries all over North America -- some return visits and some first time. I have to give some serious thought about whether I want to spend up to 3 months on the road. My 70th birthday would fall in the middle of the trip. :?

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:33 pm

GerryL wrote:Just got back (to Oregon) from my usual 2-week volunteer stint in Florida and have 2 international trips lined up for this year: Peru (Amazon cruise) and France (Lyon and ?). I am seriously considering doing a round-the-country solo driving trip (my 3rd) in 2018. I have snagged invitations to visit great ape and primate sanctuaries all over North America -- some return visits and some first time. I have to give some serious thought about whether I want to spend up to 3 months on the road. My 70th birthday would fall in the middle of the trip. :?
Thank you for the news, GerryL! Enjoy your travels. Perhaps you can designate a special place to celebrate your 70th birthday?

Victoria

cfs

Post by cfs » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:15 pm

Wow, I was on travel when the photos of the Big Fish were posted and missed all the action here.

Good stuff.

For the retirement class of 2014, please keep those sitreps [situation reports] coming.

Retirement life is awesome, stay physically and mentally busy.

God Bless You, y gracias por leer ~cfs~

p.s. The retirement series are perennials.

cfs

Celebrating my 4th year in retirement today!

Post by cfs » Tue May 15, 2018 11:24 am

FOUR years ago I wrote:
Tue May 13, 2014 2:53 pm
. . . My official last day at work is 5/15/14, and I can see retirement from my window . . .
Good morning, just back from a very rewarding LUng Distance workout. Time is moving fast, today I celebrate my 4th year as a member of the Active Retired Force. Also effective today I have moved to the distribution phase with the start of automatic monthly withdrawals from my taxable account (I still have a few more years before my RMDs), my signature applies. A word to retirees and prospective retirees, please stay mentally and physically active in your retirement (I don't call it the Active Retired Force for nothing). This is my 4000th post here (I am no longer active in our sister forum in M* where I have exactly 14,000 posts). Retirement is GREAT, life is wonderful. Now closing, muchas gracias por leer ~cfs~

siamond

Post by siamond » Tue May 15, 2018 2:17 pm

Well, I guess it is time for me to post my bragging picture of the year... This was in Texas, Trinity river, in March 2018. I actually caught a bigger fish than that since then, but this one is special... Check those teeth! :shock:

VictoriaF

Re: Celebrating my 4th year in retirement today!

Post by VictoriaF » Tue May 15, 2018 3:45 pm

cfs wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:24 am
FOUR years ago I wrote:
Tue May 13, 2014 2:53 pm
. . . My official last day at work is 5/15/14, and I can see retirement from my window . . .
Good morning, just back from a very rewarding LUng Distance workout. Time is moving fast, today I celebrate my 4th year as a member of the Active Retired Force. Also effective today I have moved to the distribution phase with the start of automatic monthly withdrawals from my taxable account (I still have a few more years before my RMDs), my signature applies. A word to retirees and prospective retirees, please stay mentally and physically active in your retirement (I don't call it the Active Retired Force for nothing). This is my 4000th post here (I am no longer active in our sister forum in M* where I have exactly 14,000 posts). Retirement is GREAT, life is wonderful. Now closing, muchas gracias por leer ~cfs~
Dear cfs,

Congratulations with reaching the 4-year milestone and best wishes for at least 44 more healthy, active and enjoyable years in retirement. And then we'll see where to go from there.

Victoria

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue May 15, 2018 3:45 pm

siamond wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:17 pm
Well, I guess it is time for me to post my bragging picture of the year... This was in Texas, Trinity river, in March 2018. I actually caught a bigger fish than that since then, but this one is special... Check those teeth! :shock:

Hey siamond,

Yours is definitely the biggest! Cheers,

Victoria

cfs

Post by cfs » Tue May 15, 2018 5:29 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 3:45 pm
. . . best wishes for at least 44 more healthy, active and enjoyable years in retirement . . .
Miss Victoria, thank you. For those following the retirement series, be on the lookout for my sitrep (situation report) 44 years from now. Gracias por leer ~cfs~ (and for Miss Victoria, buen camino).

cfs

Post by cfs » Tue May 15, 2018 5:34 pm

siamond wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:17 pm
. . . This was in Texas, Trinity river, in March 2018 . . .
Thank you Mister Siamond for the photo of the big fish!
You know how to enjoy retirement--well done and keep on fishing.
Gracias por leer ~cfs~

cfs

Post by cfs » Wed May 16, 2018 1:14 pm

Yesterday I wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:24 am
effective today I have moved to the distribution phase with the start of automatic monthly withdrawals from my taxable account
Back from my LUng Distance Walk. I just checked my Navy Federal Credit Union savings account, my first deposit is already there. Now I know how it feels (automatic monthly withdrawals, I did it and it feels good). Europe, here I go. To all members of the Active Retired Force, good luck, y gracias por leer ~cfs~