Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2014!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
astrohip

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2014!

Post by astrohip »

Grateful1 wrote:Retired yesterday on schedule! :happy

Now on to new horizons! :beer
Yep. Retirement party was Friday. Very moving. Went in yesterday for about two hours so I could say I worked.

New horizons indeed! 8-)
"Happiness is not about doing, it’s about being." - R Branson
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

It is now OH-ficcial. Met old friends at a cake and ice cream retirement party. Handed over my laptop. Had badge deactivated (get to keep it as a "souvenir"). Was walked out to car with extra cake and ice cream. That's it. Now I just have to wait until FedEx delivers the check with my severance package. Supposedly tomorrow. For some reason HR interprets Oregon state law as requiring a hard copy check, so they won't direct deposit it.

Because I actually worked my last day 2 months ago and have spent my sabbatical practicing being retired, it doesn't feel all that odd. Turns out I really didn't need much practice. Yee haw. :happy :) :D
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2014 as of 07 July 2014: <-- replaced with a later list.
07 Jul - GerryL (65) <-- Congratulations!
Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
moorso

Post by moorso »

Victoria...please put me in for age 61....and yes, today is day 3 of my retirement....have never been so busy..lol. :sharebeer
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2014 as of 09 July 2014: <-- replaced with a later list.
If you don't see yourself on the list or your entry is incorrect, I'll add or correct it.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2014 as of 14 August 2014:
01 Aug - SGM <-- Congratulations with recent retirement!
01 Aug - market timer <-- Congratulations with recent retirement!
Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
cfs

Post by cfs »

The three-month mark.

Three months in retirement today, this is great, I should have retired two years ago! Celebrated the three-month mark with a great Lung Distance Run very early this morning.

Thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
astrohip

Post by astrohip »

VictoriaF wrote:Class of 2014 as of 14 August 14:
01 Jul - astrohip (58)
Six weeks in, why oh why did I wait so long. :o I have never had so much fun in my life. I'm just busy enough to not be bored, yet plenty of time for whatever comes up. Lunch with friends, a mish-mash of long-delayed projects, travel travel travel, and more.

I've spent some money to "kick off" my free time--a new tractor and a new truck--but that's about it. Travel will suck up some funds, but hey, there's no wallets in caskets. Or as I tell my (grown) kids, I'm just spending your inheritance.

:sharebeer

How is everyone else adapting to retirement?
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

cfs wrote:Three months in retirement today, this is great, I should have retired two years ago! Celebrated the three-month mark with a great Lung Distance Run very early this morning.
astrohip wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:Class of 2014 as of 14 August 14:
01 Jul - astrohip (58)
Six weeks in, why oh why did I wait so long. :o I have never had so much fun in my life. I'm just busy enough to not be bored, yet plenty of time for whatever comes up. Lunch with friends, a mish-mash of long-delayed projects, travel travel travel, and more.

I've spent some money to "kick off" my free time--a new tractor and a new truck--but that's about it. Travel will suck up some funds, but hey, there's no wallets in caskets. Or as I tell my (grown) kids, I'm just spending your inheritance.

:sharebeer
How is everyone else adapting to retirement?
cfs, astrohip,

Thank you for the great news from the other side of the abyss. They help me dealing with the jitters of approaching the great divide.

Victoria
green tea

Post by green tea »

Retired on schedule today, August 15th @ 55 :)
cfs

Post by cfs »

green tea wrote:Retired on schedule today, August 15th @ 55 :)
GT, congratulations! Enjoy your retirement !!!

Thanks for reading.
astrohip

Post by astrohip »

green tea wrote:Retired on schedule today, August 15th @ 55 :)
Congrats! So what's on the agenda... :D
siamond

Post by siamond »

astrohip wrote:How is everyone else adapting to retirement?
SSSSSOOOOO CCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOLLLLLLL!!!! :D 8-)

Funny, I have absolutely zero problem filling my days, and I have a long long list of things to do. But zero pressure to do those based a hard/external deadline of sorts. I just get to it when I feel like it (except for a disciplined approach to exercising). Recently, I started (much needed and long postponed) painting work on my house, and I do it at my own pace, and this is just so relaxing. This being said, my wife is amazed, she has never seen me working so hard on house chores like that! It just makes a world of difference to do things when you truly want to do them...

Bottomline: did you say 'adapting'? well, this was 100% seamless... :sharebeer

PS. congrats, green tea. Welcome to the good life!
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Adapting just fine, thank you, after 6 full weeks (not counting the 2 month sabbatical that preceded official retirement). Some days are busy with volunteer work or exploring. Some days are just relaxing. A 3 week road trip coming up with plenty of time to plan. I knew I would like retirement, I just didn't know how quickly I would adapt. I can highly recommend it.
nukewerker

Post by nukewerker »

Nice to see all these retirement stories. Gives me hope. At 32 I have a loooooooooooooong way to go. Face palm.
Enkidu

Post by Enkidu »

I "graduated" May 31, 2014 at age 62. It really was like graduating, I even had senioritus for the 5 months after I set my retirement date, and they gave me something very much like a diploma on my last day.

Since graduating my wife and I have done 2 trips, and have more planned. Time at home is great and there is always plenty to do, but not too much. I never had any trouble with self direction. Very relaxed and happy! 8-)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2014 as of 16 August 2014: <-- replaced with a later list.

31 May - Enkidu (62) <-- New member of the class
15 Aug - green tea (55) <-- Congratulations with recent retirement!

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
retirehappy2014

Post by retirehappy2014 »

Hi I am a newbie to the forum, but I worked my last day on August 28th, Sept. 1 was my chosen retirement date but my upper management wanted me on the books till Oct.15th. so I turn in my laptop and badge etc. and sign some paperwork on that date. I am retired, just still being paided full wages till then, a bridge they called it, not a bad thing. 8-)

My husband also retired this year, the main reason I chose to retire this year as well. He retired on May 1st.

So happy I found this community, I have been lurking and reading and decided to post finally. I now have more time to devote to my investments. Luckily our investments are the gravy for us, the basic bills are covered with SS x2 and a small pension.

I look forward to getting to know the community members better :D
cfs

Post by cfs »

RH 2014

Retire Happy, I am not a member of the Bogleheads Welcoming Committee but I want to give you a personal welcome aboard. Good deal, you and your husband retiring in the same year. Good luck in your retirement, and good luck with your investments.

Thanks for reading.
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

Three months into retirement and so far it's like everyday is Saturday; I get up when I want, do pretty much whatever I want, whenever I want. One cool difference is my go-to-town 'Saturday's' are now usually mid-week when there are few lines and parking spaces are abundant.

My past Boglehead's saving habits and LBYM lifestyle is requiring some adjustment however. I'm so use to saving, that spending more and saving less, is putting me on a guilt-trip. We definitely need to ramp up our spending before SS and RMD sets in at 70. Not much use for a fat wallet in a coffin :oops:

JohnC

PS I highly recommend the Viking river cruise in China- wonderful-wonderful :sharebeer
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Enkidu wrote:I "graduated" May 31, 2014 at age 62. It really was like graduating, I even had senioritus for the 5 months after I set my retirement date, and they gave me something very much like a diploma on my last day.

Since graduating my wife and I have done 2 trips, and have more planned. Time at home is great and there is always plenty to do, but not too much. I never had any trouble with self direction. Very relaxed and happy! 8-)
That was actually the theme of my "speech" at my retirement party 18 months ago. We graduate from things like HS and college in 4 years and move on; similarly I graduated from employment after 40 years and am moving on...
Attempted new signature...
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

The first travel adventure of my retirement (July) is about to begin. Tomorrow I will head out on a 3 week driving trip (to two Road Scholar programs). Return trip is open to come spontaneity since I don't have to be back on any particular day. Now I've got to get off this forum and get back to packing the car.
siamond

Post by siamond »

Happy travel, Gerry. I like the fact that you don't have a fixed schedule... I'm leaving for a one week fishing trip myself this Thursday. St Lawrence, here I come!
cfs

Post by cfs »

jvclark02 wrote:Three months into retirement and so far it's like everyday is Saturday . . .
Well, if feels like Saturday because it is Saturday !!! Enjoy your retirement.

Thanks for reading.
f4d

Post by f4d »

Congrats Class of 2014 from Class of 1996 at age 55

Here are some ideas for how to spend your time...

1. Become a snowbird
2. 31 cruises to Alaska, CA, Panama Canal, Caribbean, UK, Baltic, MED
3. Drive and rail around Ireland, England, Wales, Scotland, Israel, Germany
4. See the USA, go Redbirds
5. Read a lot, even good thrillers from Elmore Leonard
6. Use Sporcle and Free Learning sites
7. Become a Boglehead 8-)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2014 as of 10 September 2014: <-- replaced with a later list.
07 Jul - GerryL (65) <-- Happy travels!
28 Aug - retirehappy2014 <-- New member of the class <-- Congratulations with recent retirement!
xx Sep - Wricha (59-60) <-- Congratulations with recent retirement!

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
BigJohn

Post by BigJohn »

Victoria, finally made my decision so you can add me to your upcoming graduate list. Last day at work Dec 17, 2014 and I'll be age 58.

P.S. Are you still on track to go from aspiring to actual flâneur in less than two weeks?
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan" - Carl Von Clausewitz
Pedsmd

Post by Pedsmd »

Count me in. Retiring Dec 19th at age 61. Very much looking forward to the adventure of a new phase of life. :beer
Statch

Post by Statch »

Victoria, you can add me. I retired on January 3, at age 55. Thanks!

Statch
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2014 as of 12 September 2014: <-- replaced with a later list.
Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

BigJohn wrote:Victoria, finally made my decision so you can add me to your upcoming graduate list. Last day at work Dec 17, 2014 and I'll be age 58.

P.S. Are you still on track to go from aspiring to actual flâneur in less than two weeks?
BigJohn, congratulations with making BigDecision!

I expect to remain an aspiring flâneur for several weeks after I am off payroll. In addition to retiring, which is a significant event of its own, I am moving to a new apartment and preparing for a trip to the UK. On 9 Sep, my new bookcases have arrived to my new apartment; on 19 Sep, the movers will transfer my furniture to the new place; and between the 9th and the 19th, I am making daily 70-mile round trips to take my books from the old shelves to the new shelves as well as clothes, breakable items, and some other things. On 24 Sep, I will spend the last day in the office and fly to the UK that night.

A true flâneur has a calm mind. She sits in a cafe, watches people, and contemplates BigQuestions. She discusses Life, the Universe and Everything with her friends. Right now, my mind is not in that place, yet. My mind is running checklists of what needs to be done and in what priority. (To be clear, I have a to-do list but frequently new, important thoughts pop into my mind that require immediate action.)

My trip to the UK is not quite leisurely. I will be attending an important event in Windsor that will require my full attention and the wits. I don't expect to start winding down until early October. At that time, I will have to be careful not to unwind too far down.

Victoria
cfs

Post by cfs »

Congratulations to Victoria.

Here we are, September 24th, this should be Victoria's last day in the office and then out to the UK--what a good way to start retirement.

Congratulations.
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

Victoria,
Right now I am anchored on the backside of Key Largo headed for the headed for the Dry Tortugas, left the Cheaspeak 11 days ago and I am not going back. So I guess it's official. Victoria I hope your out.
Thanks folks.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Wricha wrote:. . . So I guess it's official . . .
Wow, awesome trip, I see that the date of "xx Sep - Wricha" is already over and you are now enjoying every Saturday (in retirement every day feels like a Saturday). I used to tell my Navy Team that "underway is the only way" . . . have fair winds and following seas !!!
agbp

Post by agbp »

I will retire October 1 at age 69. However, I've been working only part time the past 2 1/2 years. Would have been happy to continue PT work indefinitely but my company is in serious financial trouble due to the loss of a major federal contract, and all staff in my department are being laid off. I am fortunate that I can just retire instead of job hunting.
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

Wricha wrote:
. . . So I guess it's official . . .

Wow, awesome trip, I see that the date of "xx Sep - Wricha" is already over and you are now enjoying every Saturday (in retirement every day feels like a Saturday). I used to tell my Navy Team that "underway is the only way" . . . have fair winds and following seas !!!

Thanks CFS. Seas were pretty good holding in Marthon for couple days 100 hr service. Wanted it done before dry Tortugas.
Did Victoria pull the trigger?
cfs

Post by cfs »

Wricha wrote:Wricha wrote:
. . . So I guess it's official . . .

Thanks CFS. Seas were pretty good holding in Marthon for couple days 100 hr service. Wanted it done before dry Tortugas.
Did Victoria pull the trigger?
Yes, as far as we know Victoria is in the UK on her firs trip as a retiree.
cfs

Post by cfs »

agbp wrote:I will retire October 1 at age 69. However, I've been working only part time the past 2 1/2 years. Would have been happy to continue PT work indefinitely but my company is in serious financial trouble due to the loss of a major federal contract, and all staff in my department are being laid off. I am fortunate that I can just retire instead of job hunting.
Agbp, congratulations on your retirement day (just around the corner), we will wait for Victoria to update the official roster of the retirement class of 2014 on her next opportunity (she is on travel). Now get ready for Saturday (for me every day feels like a Saturday).
siamond

Post by siamond »

cfs wrote:
Wricha wrote:Did Victoria pull the trigger?
Lady Victoria is about to meet the Queen to explain everything about passive investing... Impressive! :wink:

Happy retirement! It only happens once in a lifetime (well, usually)!
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2014 as of 27 September 2014: <-- replaced with a later list.
13 Sep - Wricha (59-60) <-- Congratulations
24 Sep - VictoriaF <-- Happy to join a distinguished group
Currently, 49 class members. Do we get 50?

If you don't see yourself on the list or your entry is incorrect, I'll add or correct it.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

siamond wrote:
cfs wrote:
Lady Victoria is about to meet the Queen to explain everything about passive investing... Impressive! :wink:

Thank you for the congratulations! I am honored to join this distinguished group as a full member.

I pulled the trigger at 14:45 on 24 September, drove home, finished packing, and flew to the UK that night. Right now I am posting from the Beaumont House, Old Windsor, the place of my conference. At 19:30 (local time, 5 hours ahead of the timestamp of my message) the reception starts, followed by the Gala Dinner. Tomorrow, we will have a short session in the morning followed by a tour of the Windsor Castle. On Monday, I will move to London for a few more days. The weather in the UK is unusually warm for this time. I am fortunate in more than one way and hope that it's a preview of the things to come.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chaz

Post by chaz »

VictoriaF wrote:
siamond wrote:
cfs wrote:

Thank you for the congratulations! I am honored to join this distinguished group as a full member.

I pulled the trigger at 2pm on 24 September, drove home, finished packing, and flew to the UK that night. Right now I am posting from the Beaumont House, Old Windsor, the place of my conference. At 19:30 (local time, 5 hours ahead of the timestamp of my message) the reception starts, followed by a Gala Dinner. Tomorrow, we will have a short session in the morning followed by a tour of the Windsor Castle.

Victoria
Congrats on your retirement. Enjoy Windsor Castle.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

chaz wrote:Congrats on your retirement. Enjoy Windsor Castle.
Thank you, Chaz! I am enjoying everything. It's kind of silly but I feel like giggling all the time.

Victoria
cfs

Post by cfs »

VictoriaF wrote:
Thank you, Chaz! I am enjoying everything. It's kind of silly but I feel like giggling all the time.

Victoria
The reason for feeling like giggling all the time is that "now" every day is Saturday. Enjoy your trip (safety first).
chaz

Post by chaz »

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
I started giggling when I retired 12/31/03. Enjoy every day.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

I retired on schedule. My last day at work was July 3. On July 5 my wife and I went to Aruba for two weeks. Later in July we went to visit my brother and his family in Alabama. We visited the University of Alabama, very pretty school, where my niece is a student and my brother's nephew plays on the University of Alabama football team. We then went to Florida to stay at his beach house for a week. At the end of the week we flew up to New Jersey to stay with my sister and go to a family wedding. We just came back from a 2700 mile road trip to Massachusetts where my wife attended her 50th high school reunion. 0n October 12 we will be going to Hilton Head for a week and staying at the Marriott Grand Ocean timeshare. We will be working with a realtor to look at houses for sale down there during the week. In December we are going to stay at a Marriott timeshare in Palm Desert California for a week. We also have plans to go to St. Thomas and Las Vegas in 2015 using our timeshares. Hopefully we will have sold our condo in Wisconsin and be living in Hilton Head by then. We have got to get out here before the winter comes.
2muchfun

Post by 2muchfun »

My last day is Halloween. I am 55. I'm ready!
cfs

Post by cfs »

VictoriaF wrote:. . . Currently, 49 class members. Do we get 50? . . .
Yes we can . . . 2muchfun (55) retiring on 31 Oct . . .
cfs

Post by cfs »

2muchfun wrote:My last day is Halloween. I am 55. I'm ready!
Congratulations on your retirement, and hopefully you like Saturdays (every day feels like a Saturday) !!!
cfs

Post by cfs »

Old Guy wrote:I retired on schedule. My last day at work was July 3. On July 5 my wife and I went to Aruba for two weeks. Later in July we went to visit my brother and his family in Alabama. We visited the University of Alabama, very pretty school, where my niece is a student and my brother's nephew plays on the University of Alabama football team. We then went to Florida to stay at his beach house for a week. At the end of the week we flew up to New Jersey to stay with my sister and go to a family wedding. We just came back from a 2700 mile road trip to Massachusetts where my wife attended her 50th high school reunion. 0n October 12 we will be going to Hilton Head for a week and staying at the Marriott Grand Ocean timeshare. We will be working with a realtor to look at houses for sale down there during the week. In December we are going to stay at a Marriott timeshare in Palm Desert California for a week. We also have plans to go to St. Thomas and Las Vegas in 2015 using our timeshares. Hopefully we will have sold our condo in Wisconsin and be living in Hilton Head by then. We have got to get out here before the winter comes.
Old Guy, man, you are having a blast! Good on you and your wife! Life is goooooooood.