Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2014!

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
sans souliers

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2014!

Post by sans souliers » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:57 pm

Victoria! Congratulations! Take some down time and enjoy the transition.

And although I agree there are many days that seem like Saturdays, some days have a Sunday feel instead.

Wear sunscreen, and throw out the alarm clock. Remember the names of the people who've been your inspirations.
Your name probably shows up on inspiration lists, too.
Sometimes pessimism leaves me pretty well prepared for when things don't go my way, and pleasantly surprised when they do.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:27 pm

Class of 2014 as of 29 September 2014: <-- replaced with a later list.
31 Oct - 2muchfun (55) <-- Welcome to the group!
Currently, 50 class members.

If you don't see yourself on the list or your entry is incorrect, I'll add or correct it.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:42 pm

sans souliers wrote:Victoria! Congratulations! Take some down time and enjoy the transition.

And although I agree there are many days that seem like Saturdays, some days have a Sunday feel instead.

Wear sunscreen, and throw out the alarm clock. Remember the names of the people who've been your inspirations.
Your name probably shows up on inspiration lists, too.
Thank you, Sans Souliers,

My approach to retirement is somewhat different. I look at it as an opportunity to do many things I could not do while I was working. Now, the course of my life is in my control, which is both a privilege and a responsibility. I have been reading books and blogs about keeping oneself organized and focused on one's goals--and I am trying to apply the key principles from the start.

Within the past ten days, I moved to a different apartment, retired from my job, and came to the UK to commence one of my retirement projects. These were some of the most intense ten days in my life, but they have provided me with enormous satisfaction and validated my decisions.

Cheers,
Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

2retire

Post by 2retire » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:43 pm

I was kind of surprised at most people's age. I calculated a median age of 61 and an average age of 60. Although those ages are younger than the full retirement age, I would have expected those numbers to be lower for this group of people. I would have expected more people retiring in their 50's.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:24 pm

Class of 2014 as of 01 October 2014: <-- replaced with a later list.
01 Oct - boro (62) <-- Congratulations!
01 Oct - agbp (69) <-- Congratulations!

Currently, 50 class members.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

cfs

Post by cfs » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:14 pm

No October Surprise Here:

Wow, we have 3 retiring in October 2014
01 Oct - boro
01 Oct - agbp
31 Oct - 2muchfun
Congratulations and enjoy your retirement. Life is goooooooooooood.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

boro

Post by boro » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:15 pm

Thank you Victoria. My final day was wonderful. My colleagues gave me a great office party. About 100 colleagues showed up and champagne to toast.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:47 am

Congratulations to you all from a class of 2012 graduate.

I think interesting additions to this thread might include how you are spending your time, and perhaps how you think you will spend your time once you adjust. In my case I tried to increase my physical activity (I added biking to running) and started a volunteer stint. While I intended to travel more, we really haven't traveled a lot.

Also of interest to note would be what percentage of your wages are you finding you spend in retirement. The rule of thumb is plan for 75%, but a Fidelity Investment survey of customers found a range from about 40% to 80% and a satisfaction rate of close to 90%.

2muchfun

Post by 2muchfun » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:03 pm

I retire the end of this month. Like you, I plan to exercise more by joining a gym and possibly buying a bicycle. I plan to fish and travel with my wife.

chaz

Post by chaz » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:08 pm

After 10 years of retirement, it's still wonderful! Enjoy every day.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:10 pm

I have retired two weeks ago tomorrow and spent the first week in the UK. I still have to develop my retirement rhythm, which will require some prioritization because I have far more interests than I can fit into the available time, even in retirement. I find that I have to be even more organized than when I was working, because now my life is my responsibility alone.

As for the financial side, I have significantly increased my budget for travel and entertainment.

Victoria

cfs

Post by cfs » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:08 pm

Reaching 5 months next week

Retired on May 15th, next week will be my 5th month in retirement.
- No money issues.
- No need to touch my investments (at least for now) due to pension and social security checks.
- Made adjustments to our imperfect SWAN or sleep well at night portfolio, capital preservation and loss prevention are paramount.
- I have a busy schedule and every minute counts.
- I have my daily lung distance workout routine, injury prevention is paramount.
- Went to the Caribbean for ten days.
- Completed a 26.2 mile marathon.
- Getting ready for a two weeks trip to South America next month.
- Making plans for the Alaska Inner Passage cruise in the Spring of 2015.
- Life is good, steady as she goes.

etarini

Post by etarini » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:34 pm

It's official - the last workplace announcements were made today.
We can finally say that we will be joining the Retirement Class of 2014.
Our last work day will be December 26, 2014.

We'll still have to be pedal-to-the-metal at work until then, but at least now when my wife gets frustrated and says,
"It just never ends!", I can say, "No, honey...I assure you...it WILL end."

And we're still at the stage of being a bit anxious over the realization that paychecks will no longer flow into our bank account, even though I've crunched the numbers over and over again. I expect that anxiety will disappear within the first few months.

We're also not yet at that giddy, excited retiree phase. But I can imagine us waking up in the morning, looking at each other, and then just smiling because we can do whatever we want that day.

For the record, I'll be 65 by the end of the year, and she'll be 64. We plan to take Social Security at 70, though she'll
take a spousal benefit at 66.

When people ask, "What will you do?", we tell them that we're just looking forward to having control of our TIME.

Top of the list right now is to spend more time with family and friends, spend more time exercising, and traveling to a few places we want to see.

The rest we'll figure out as we go along.

Thanks to all of you for helping folks like us get to where we are today.

Eric

sans souliers

Post by sans souliers » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:32 pm

When people ask, "What will you do?", we tell them that we're just looking forward to having control of our TIME.
Having control of your time. When you have it, it's a gift. Enjoy your time in good health, and congratulations!

Was it tough making the announcement?
Sometimes pessimism leaves me pretty well prepared for when things don't go my way, and pleasantly surprised when they do.

cfs

Post by cfs » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:54 pm

Eric

Congratulations Eric! Great, your last day is the day after Chrismas! You and your wife are going to have a Christmas to remember. Good luck in your retirement.

etarini

Post by etarini » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:37 am

sans souliers wrote:Was it tough making the announcement?
It wasn't too hard. We knew that our organizations would be disappointed that we were leaving. But at the same time, we've been at our companies for a long time (me, 29 years; my wife, 15 years) and they knew we aren't spring chickens anymore, so they were very supportive.

We'll miss a lot of the people, but then again we'll have more time to see them socially.

Eric

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:28 am

Retiring yet again on 25th of September for the nth time after consulting for 11 months. I was goofing off since January 2011.

At 62, I could take it or leave it. My 1st 2 books were about life and meditation.

Just took over one of my portfolios and transferred to vanguard, sitting on 20% this morning with money burning a hole in my pocket.

Thinking of either wellington or the 3 funds approach, vti, VXUS and bnd. :moneybag

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:41 am

Class of 2014 as of 17 October 2014: <-- replaced with a later list.
25 Sep - htdrag11 (62) <-- Welcome to the class and Congratulations!
01 Oct - boro (62) <-- Congratulations!
01 Oct - agbp (69) <-- Congratulations!
Graduating soon:
26 Dec - etarini (65) <-- Welcome to the class, Eric!
Currently, 52 class members.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:07 am

htdrag11 wrote:Retiring yet again on 25th of September for the nth time after consulting for 11 months. I was goofing off since January 2011...
I don't think it's necessary to retire AGAIN if you didn't go back to work close to full time.
I retired in March, 2013 and returned to work on an engineering project I had familiarity with last month, but part time: 3 days last week, 1 day this week, etc.
More "fun" now in a certain way, and I get to have Chinese lunches...
Attempted new signature...

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:49 am

Victoria,

It is 25th of september, though I do have vacation paid till 2nd of october.

Cheers!

astrohip

Post by astrohip » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:55 am

etarini wrote:When people ask, "What will you do?", we tell them that we're just looking forward to having control of our TIME.
Going on four months now, and you have succinctly nailed it: "having control of our TIME". Everything else funnels thru this. I can do what I want, when I want, yada yada, because I control my own time.

I gotta admit, so far I am loving the retired life. :beer
"Happiness is not about doing, it’s about being." - R Branson

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:50 pm

htdrag11 wrote:Victoria,

It is 25th of september, though I do have vacation paid till 2nd of october.

Cheers!
htdrag11, Thank you for a clarification. I fixed it,

Victoria

cfs

Post by cfs » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:55 pm

You got it.

Astrohip said it best - "I gotta admit, so far I am loving the retired life."

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:06 pm

I have been retired for just over three weeks. A few days before retiring, I moved to a new apartment. On the day of the retirement I flew to the UK. After my return from the UK, I got hit with a combination of (1) jet lag, (2) getting settled in the new place, and (3) email, paper mail, and various business that I was neglecting while preparing for the move. Thus, Week 1 of retirement was excellent, but Weeks 2 and 3 were disappointing.

Two days ago, I started actively managing my retirement life, making detailed schedules with 0.5-hour precision. I took care of some urgent business, such as visiting the DMV, and started participating in social, educational, and cultural activities.

The elephant in my room is the need to modernize my electronic life. The most urgent task is to set up the Obi device for VoIP calling. Other tasks include migration from Win XP to Win 7 and learning to use my Android-based smartphone. I have all the devices at home, but I have been post poning their use because I never had enough time to properly figure them out(*). My plan has been to take care of the technology after I retire. Now, that I am retired, I should be able to do it, but some psychological barrier hold me back. One of these days, I will start unwinding my technologies. You will probably see some new posts with my specific questions.

My main takeaways from the three weeks of retirement:
1. It's great, but excessive expectations of a newly-found bliss may backfire.
2. Even when everything else is perfect, one imperfect area of life may spoil the rest.
3. The retirement life requires more planning and discipline than working life.

Victoria

(*) I am an engineer, I am not afraid of technology, and I think that once I start using various technologies, I'll be "good" at them. My problem is that I can think of numerous ways in which complex systems could fail, and I am trying to foresee and prepare for various contingencies. I am distrustful of plug-and-play offerings. I don't want to create security vulnerabilities. And I am trying to avoid dependency on a specific vendor or system. Thus, I don't want to jump into anything until I carefully analyze it.

G12

Post by G12 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:26 pm

VictoriaF wrote:I have been retired for just over three weeks.
Congrats. Upgraded from a Galaxy S3 to an S5 about a month ago. Largely similar, yet distinctively different and better. Baby steps, it gets done.

If one spouse is retired and the other continues to work is this person truly "retired"? She will be pension vested in roughly 14 months, but may work PT after as she is not the retiring type and enjoys what she does and gets great E + 1 health insurance bennies, FT or PT. I have been done for 3+ yrs @ 48. :wink:

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:31 am

Officially retired today. Age 60 tomorrow.
Mike

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:18 am

Class of 2014 as of 21 October 2014: <-- replaced with a later list.
10 Mar - Dasnyc (64) <-- Welcome to the class and congratulations with successful retirement!
21 Oct - mhalley (60) <-- Congratulations!
Currently, 53 class members.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dasnyc

Post by Dasnyc » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:47 am

Count me in. Been working since age of 14, single parent for a chunk of it, and retired March 10 at age 64. I am LOVE LOVE LOVING it!!!!! Lucky to have found the wisdom of John Bogle and many others who encouraged the virtues of living below your means, saving, investing and staying the course. Now I get to reap the rewards, by spending my time, energies and money however I feel at any given moment. I am still getting used to the feeling... Trying to boost my fitness, re-establish and strengthen relationships that i didn't have time for before, and just enjoy each day as it comes.... I am by no means wealthy, but i have enough set aside so that I never have to pinch pennies for the basics, plus some small extravagences here and there.
Life now is very very good!!!

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:56 am

Dasnyc wrote:Count me in. Been working since age of 14, single parent for a chunk of it, and retired March 10 at age 64. I am LOVE LOVE LOVING it!!!!! Lucky to have found the wisdom of John Bogle and many others who encouraged the virtues of living below your means, saving, investing and staying the course. Now I get to reap the rewards, by spending my time, energies and money however I feel at any given moment. I am still getting used to the feeling... Trying to boost my fitness, re-establish and strengthen relationships that i didn't have time for before, and just enjoy each day as it comes.... I am by no means wealthy, but i have enough set aside so that I never have to pinch pennies for the basics, plus some small extravagences here and there.
Life now is very very good!!!
Dasnyc,

Welcome to the class and congratulations with a successful retirement! I added you to the list (above).

Victoria

cfs

Post by cfs » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:45 pm

Congratulations

To 2muchfun, now on his first in retirement.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:37 pm

Class of 2014 as of 03 November 2014: <-- replaced with a later list.
10 Mar - Dasnyc (64) <-- Welcome to the class and congratulations with successful retirement!
31 Oct - 2muchfun (55) <-- Congratulations!

Currently, 53 class members.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

dpc

Post by dpc » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:56 pm

Can we start a new list for 2015? Hoping to be retired by the end of January 2015 - but will likely working part-time intermittently.
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:06 pm

dpc wrote:Can we start a new list for 2015? Hoping to be retired by the end of January 2015 - but will likely working part-time intermittently.
I started a new thread with a roll call for the retirement class of 2015 that includes just you, for now. I am sure we'll get many other members before the end of this year.

Congratulations with the retirement plans,

Victoria

aeronina

Post by aeronina » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:22 pm

Retiring Dec. 7, 2014. Mixed feelings.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:40 pm

aeronina wrote:Retiring Dec. 7, 2014. Mixed feelings.
Mixed feelings are normal for some of us. Forty years getting decently good at what I do, and now I quit?
It helps to have a bunch of alternate pursuits that are being strangled by the time commitment to your full time job...
Attempted new signature...

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:36 am

Class of 2014 as of 21 November 2014: <-- replaced with a later list.
21 Oct - smileartist <-- Congratulations and welcome to the class!
Graduating soon:
07 Dec - aeronina <-- Welcome to the class!
31 Dec - OldTimer (63) <-- Welcome to the class!

Currently, 56 class members.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

OldTimer

Post by OldTimer » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:07 am

After working since freshman year in College it is time to retire (or as I like to phrase it turn to the next chapter of my life, if not a new book". The DW (66) and I (63) retire at 5:00 pm on December 31, 2014. We are both self employed (separate companies) and we are telling our clients today. Add me to the 2014 list Victoria.

PS, I am always interested to follow Victoria's post as I am also an engineer.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:22 am

OldTimer wrote:After working since freshman year in College it is time to retire (or as I like to phrase it turn to the next chapter of my life, if not a new book". The DW (66) and I (63) retire at 5:00 pm on December 31, 2014. We are both self employed (separate companies) and we are telling our clients today. Add me to the 2014 list Victoria.

PS, I am always interested to follow Victoria's post as I am also an engineer.
OldTimer,

I've added you to the message above. Congratulations from a fellow engineer!

Victoria

cfs

Post by cfs » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:52 am

Back in the USA

Congratulations to the retirement class of 2014. Retirement really rocks and we are back from a successful trip to Ecuador and Peru. Yes it can be done, and since retiring on 5/15/14 I have run my 26.2 mile marathon, trip to Miami, trip to the Caribbean, trip to South America, and just came back last evening to find the Dow one or two good market days away from Doctor Jeremy Siegel's 2014 projections. Life is good.

smileartist

Post by smileartist » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:14 pm

+1. October 21. Do not miss clinical dentistry so much but really miss my patients and the relationships I have developed over 35 years. I also miss my assistant of 18 years and my hygienist of 7 years. But I am really enjoying myself while trying to find the rhythm of the beat.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:34 pm

smileartist wrote:+1. October 21. Do not miss clinical dentistry so much but really miss my patients and the relationships I have developed over 35 years. I also miss my assistant of 18 years and my hygienist of 7 years. But I am really enjoying myself while trying to find the rhythm of the beat.
Congratulations, smileartist! I added you to the list. You can make all of us smile using other than dentistry means.

Victoria

cfs

Post by cfs » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:17 pm

aeronina wrote:Retiring Dec. 7, 2014. Mixed feelings.
Congratulations! December 7th 2014 is here.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:04 pm

Class of 2014 as of 07 December 2014: <-- replaced with a later list.
07 Dec - aeronina <-- Congratulations!

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigJohn

Post by BigJohn » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:21 pm

As planned, my last day at work was today. After 37 years, my office is cleaned out, all the goodbyes are said, all the hugs are given and a few tears shed.

Someone asked me what was going through my mind today. The answer is a very weird combination of fear of the unknown, sadness at leaving some lifelong friends and elation at leaving behind all the stress and worry.

crg11

Post by crg11 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:27 pm

Congrats to everyone. Long way to go for me.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:27 pm

Class of 2014 as of 17 December 2014: <-- replaced with a later list.
24 Jan - ww340 (61) <-- updated
17 Dec - BigJohn (58) <-- Congratulations!

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:31 pm

BigJohn wrote:As planned, my last day at work was today. After 37 years, my office is cleaned out, all the goodbyes are said, all the hugs are given and a few tears shed.

Someone asked me what was going through my mind today. The answer is a very weird combination of fear of the unknown, sadness at leaving some lifelong friends and elation at leaving behind all the stress and worry.
Welcome to the world of retirement. Best wishes for a happy one,

Victoria

cfs

Post by cfs » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:26 am

Congratulations!

Congratulations to our Shipmate Big John on his retirement. That part of leaving behind all the stress and worry is so significant!

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:37 am

Looking at the list makes me feel that my retirement plan may not be realistic. Reality check for me.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:38 am

flyingaway wrote:Looking at the list makes me feel that my retirement plan may not be realistic. Reality check for me.
Why do you say it?

Victoria