Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2014!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
VictoriaF

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2014!

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2014 as of 22 May 14: <-- replaced with a later list.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Sat May 31, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

Mitchell777 asked,
Did you use the Trinity Study (4% for 30 years/3% for 40 years), Wade Pfau's much lower withdrawl rate, Firecalc, Otar calculator, pension so significant that investment income is almost unneccesary, waiting to be closer to SS age, buying annuity, etc
I'm not "there" yet (Big Congrats to all in the Class of 2014!), but am slowly working through the necessary reading and study to transition from an accumulation to a distribution portfolio. I'm using Otar's Unveiling the Retirement Myth and his website: reading the book now and intending to read it much more slowly and carefully next summer, annotating it with highlighter and pen in hand. This first reading has confirmed that I can wrap things up in the next year or two. The next reading will better determine how it all will be managed.

FYI, my tentative SWR is 3.0%, as I am looking at an age 60 target.

At next summer's end, I will settle on "the date," which will place me either in next year's class or in the Class of '16.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Wow. I knew I was an old fart but apparently I am the oldest old fart so far among the class of 2014. At 61, with the opportunity to go to work for a major university, something I always wanted to do, I was just not ready to call it quits. These last 10 years have been the most rewarding of my work life. The best thing, which was also the worse thing, was that I was the one responsible. I could not say that when I worked for the federal government. It also increased our retirements and allowed us to have the in-town in Chicago, which was a great lifestyle investment.
burt

Post by burt »

Congratulations to the Class of 2014 !

You guys/gals are the cool seniors....I'm a Junior looking at you as a role model.
Graduation in 2015.

burt
burt

Post by burt »

BoulderTrojan wrote:My last day of work was April 10, 2014. Age 53. My goal since age 18 has been to retire.
I like that. Not many will admit it.

burt
boro

Post by boro »

Put me down for Oct 1. I will be 62 shortly after this date. Other than knowing that I will have continued medical benefits, I am quite ill-prepared for this momentous event. I never set up a budget plan in my life nor have I ever balanced my checkbooks, although I do have a vague notion of my expenses since I have never overdrawn my checking account. I don't have a pension but do have a 401K plan for the past 14 years. On the positive side, I don't have debts, a paid-off house, and have set aside the money for my child's law school, and I think that I have about 25x of replacement income. I have had a great career and job security as a tenured professor but I think It is time to move on to have time just for myself.
Topic Author
sans souliers

Post by sans souliers »

Boro, I have to disagree with you on this point -- I don't think you are quite so ill-prepared as you say you are.
Stop being so modest - 25x of replacement income is darn well-prepared, compared with (too) many of our age group.

Enjoy your time, and have fun planning the next chapter, Class of '14 alums!
Sometimes pessimism leaves me pretty well prepared for when things don't go my way, and pleasantly surprised when they do.
pryan

Post by pryan »

Last day of work was Dec 31st. First day of retirement Jan 1st. Sixty-four and a little nervous at first. The more time goes by the more I realize that I should have done this sooner. Work is extremely overrated. I finally realized that we had enough and no longer needed to play the game. We live in The Villages, Fl. And have more than enough things to occupy our time.
6miths

Post by 6miths »

You can put me down as 53 Victoria.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
cfs

Post by cfs »

Week Two

I retired two weeks ago and all I can say is wow I should have retired two years ago!

Thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Here is my advice to all of you who are nearing or entering retirement this year:

The valuation of the stock market is not extremely high - but it is getting up there. If you've got the money needed for retirement, and are contemplating an asset allocation change with lower equity exposure - you would be wise to do it now.

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Rick:

Into what? MM (cash)? Bonds?
kttpn

Post by kttpn »

kttpn is 65 at retirement age.
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Old Guy wrote:Rick:

Into what? MM (cash)? Bonds?
Whatever you'll need that not stocks; probably intermediate-term bonds, perhaps some short-bonds and money market.

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Rick Ferri wrote:Whatever you'll need that not stocks; probably intermediate-term bonds, perhaps some short-bonds and money market.

Rick Ferri
Rick, thanks for the recommendation, I read you loud and clear.

Thanks for reading.
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

cfs wrote:
Rick Ferri wrote:Whatever you'll need that not stocks; probably intermediate-term bonds, perhaps some short-bonds and money market.

Rick Ferri
Rick, thanks for the recommendation, I read you loud and clear.

Thanks for reading.
Thank you! You've inspired me to write a blog on this topic that will post next Monday.

Rick Ferri
Last edited by Rick Ferri on Sat May 31, 2014 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

boro wrote:Put me down for Oct 1. I will be 62 shortly after this date. Other than knowing that I will have continued medical benefits, I am quite ill-prepared for this momentous event. I never set up a budget plan in my life nor have I ever balanced my checkbooks, although I do have a vague notion of my expenses since I have never overdrawn my checking account. I don't have a pension but do have a 401K plan for the past 14 years. On the positive side, I don't have debts, a paid-off house, and have set aside the money for my child's law school, and I think that I have about 25x of replacement income. I have had a great career and job security as a tenured professor but I think It is time to move on to have time just for myself.
Are more than three months in summer and one month in winter not enough?
TXWill

Post by TXWill »

February 15, 2014, and "luvin it!"
boro

Post by boro »

@flyingaway. I wish that I do have that sort of off time. The reality is that those of us with intense research programs work long hours and on weekends on a twelve-month basis. I accrue 2 vacation days per month, just like my technical staffs but the last time that I took two weeks off was over 10 years ago. I recently donated all my unused, accumulated vacation time to a colleague undergoing cancer treatment.
second-guesser

Post by second-guesser »

NAVigator wrote -- Same thing happened to me at age 56. Suddenly my world was altered. Since I can't change the circumstances, I made changes to myself. I now have a precious commodity; time. This might seem strange from someone with a terminal condition. What changed was an attitude of gratitude for every day and all of the potential it brings. I have never missed things from the past because I stay busy looking toward the future. Retirement (aka full-disability) allows me to appreciate what there is, so I don't dwell on what was lost. The choice was an easy one. Who wants to be unhappy?

Inspiring message. Thanks for sharing.
S-G
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

boro wrote:@flyingaway. I wish that I do have that sort of off time. The reality is that those of us with intense research programs work long hours and on weekends on a twelve-month basis. I accrue 2 vacation days per month, just like my technical staffs but the last time that I took two weeks off was over 10 years ago. I recently donated all my unused, accumulated vacation time to a colleague undergoing cancer treatment.
You must be working at a medical school. For a 9 month appointment, it seems that not working between semesters is relaxing.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2014 as of 31 May 14: <-- replaced with a later list.
Graduating soon:
31 May - Near retirement <-- Congratulations!

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
ww340

Post by ww340 »

I had a forced retirement this year at age 61. I am not at all mentally ready. I loved work, but between some health issues and changes where I work, it seems I am forced to retire. I feel lost at the moment. That is the main reason I am on the site. I figured it was time to start managing our finances better, now that we are both retired.

Fortunately, we are good financially, my husband retired in 2009. His retirement was somewhat forced as well, as business was so bad in 2008, but he was fortunate enough to sell a property that completely funded our retirement, so he closed the business so it would not eat up what he got from the sale.

We have a lot of rental property, that keeps us busy, but somehow, it is not the same as when we both worked. And we are tired of managing the properties, so we have liquidated some, and have many currently on the market. Now I must figure out what to do with the cash. That will be a whole other post.
Dr. No

Post by Dr. No »

Ok, time to throw my golf visor into the ring...I'm officially part of the 2014 class as well as of 7/4/2014..truly Independence Day! Congrats to all of the rest of the happy members, enjoy the journey... :sharebeer

D.
market timer

Post by market timer »

I'm retiring 1 August to be a stay-at-home dad, but might work again someday in self-employment. I'd recommend retiring mid-year for tax reasons. Due to some unique circumstances, there would have been an unusually large increase in my marginal effective tax rate if I had continued working later in the year.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2014 as of 09 June 14: <-- replaced with a later list.
If you don't see yourself on the list or your entry is incorrect, I'll add or correct it.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Hold on; VictoriaF has slipped from July to September now?
Oh dear...
Attempted new signature...
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

The Wizard wrote:Hold on; VictoriaF has slipped from July to September now?
Oh dear...
There is a good reason for that. I've got an offer I could not resist,

Victoria
gabriel1970

Post by gabriel1970 »

I am wondering what percentage of the user of this forum is retired. Any statistics?
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

The average retirement age of those who posted their ages is 59.52. Folks sure are retiring earlier and earlier.
tacster

Post by tacster »

TravelforFun wrote:The average retirement age of those who posted their ages is 59.52. Folks sure are retiring earlier and earlier.
That's largely a function of people on this board tending to be above average earners and savers. According to Gallup, the average US retirement age is now 62 and has been trending up for the last several years: http://www.gallup.com/poll/168707/avera ... rises.aspx
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE
ajcp

Post by ajcp »

tacster wrote:
TravelforFun wrote:The average retirement age of those who posted their ages is 59.52. Folks sure are retiring earlier and earlier.
That's largely a function of people on this board tending to be above average earners and savers. According to Gallup, the average US retirement age is now 62 and has been trending up for the last several years: http://www.gallup.com/poll/168707/avera ... rises.aspx
I'm surprised that gap isn't wider actually. Although I'd guess pensions (which are becoming rarer and rarer), social security at 62, the average retirement being less glamorous than the average Boglehead retirement, and some Bogleheads who work longer than they really have to all contribute to that.
nodenuff2

Post by nodenuff2 »

Ok Nodenuff2 was 64 at retirement .
2014 No. 42 2015 No.342 2016 No. 6 2017 238 2018 no. 175 2019 no. 144 6 year average 157.83. Proves I am just an average investor.What do I know? "Good bless America land that I love..."
Grateful1

Post by Grateful1 »

It’s official. I have turned in my retirement application. Victoria you can add me to the Retirement Class of 2014.

Retiring age 62 from Federal government after 35 1/2 yrs of service effective June 30, 2014. Career involved long strings of 12+ hr. days, weekends and nights on call, high stress profession. GS15-15 (plus), "wearing 3 different hats", simultaneously 3 different job titles each with hugh responsibilities. Basically rose through the ranks to high levels of supervision but chose to continue to also remain on the front line of work while supervising staff of 70 direct report professionals locally, and hundreds regionally. It has been a satisfying career as I know I helped restore the health of many thousands of people directly, multiples more indirectly, and in the process I helped train about 120 of the next generation.

As I leave federal employment I find that I have accumulated 83 unused vacation days and 1 1/2 yrs. of unused sick leave. In retrospect I was too dedicated; my commitment to the work exceeding that of my agency. So I am probably a bit burned out and it would have been wiser too have used the vacation time along the way.

I seriously wanted to retire 1 yr. ago but my arm got twisted to stay to continue important work. I feel even more sure and ready to retire now than I did a year ago. In the interval I helped train my replacement(s) so the earth will keep spinning. In retirement I am looking forward to enjoying my first summer vacation since junior high. Potentially many opportunities for private sector part-time or intermittent work so suspect I may in 3 to 6 months be looking to work a little but on my own terms. Already getting my arm twisted/invited to return to fed gov on fee basis, and by private sector head hunters. Nope, at least not now. Freedom!!

I have many many interests I'd put on the back burner that I want to revive, and many more new interests to explore. Going to the aviation expo Air Venture for the first time this July, something I have wanted to do for ages. Have signed up for a fly fishing clinic next week and am planning a trout fishing trip out west. Will be able to spend some time in the sun with my wife on nearby lake on our pontoon. Buying a Sawstop table saw as a retirement present to myself (sawstop so I don't cut my fingers off) and will begin again my woodworking hobby. Radio controlled airplanes will come off the ceiling in the basement and fly again. Plan to get back into flying general aviation aircraft and become current again with instrument flying. Perhaps volunteer as tow pilot for local soaring club. For a lark am going to try some bee keeping. Joined a club and I have made arrangements with an acquaintance who has newly planted a vineyard to let me place some hives on his property. He was overjoyed to have the bees for pollination and I am glad to have a place to do this nearby. Hope to see much more of my grandchildren and family. I am very mindful that retirement will affect both me and my wife. More time with each other but we will still maintain separate interests ... like the book "Happy retirement, subtitled For Better or Worse but Not for Lunch". Will spend more time at the range as I enjoy marksmanship. Joining a skeet club. Would like to get a dog but wife will need convincing. Long have been active in our church and look forward to becoming more involved. Looking into possibly becoming a Court Appointed Special Advocate for childen (My own childhood could have benefited from such an adult outside the family advocating for my interests among the chaos, so I have interest in helping others in similar circumstance). Want to occasionally take the time to make homemade bread. Kneading the dough seems therapeutic, it smells so good cooking, and tastes so good. Yum. Plan to exercise daily, consistently alternating days of swimming, upper body and lower body work outs, plus bike riding in the summer and cross country skiing in the winter, etc. Hope to drop about 10 lbs. and improve fitness level. And computer programing, science and math learning for the joy of it, probably takes some classes, continue lifelong learning, etc. about two more pages of pent up interests I can hardly wait to get started on. Books, books, books to read too.

I am looking forward to the 4th of July fireworks just a few days after my retirement. It will seem like a celebration of my new found freedom.
Last edited by Grateful1 on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2014 as of 11 June 14: <-- replaced with a later list.
Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

Maybe 'third time is a charm' ?

Retired for third time on 06/06/2014 at 67 :oops:

John
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

Retired May 31.. 63 years young.
ychuck46

Post by ychuck46 »

Retired 04/01/2014 at 60 yo. Not looking back and could care about the former work environments. It gave us a good life and allowed my wife to retire at age 55, but outside of that it did not leave any recent good memories. Getting a lot done but will be slowed for awhile athletically when I get the ankle reconstructed next week. Wishing everyone the best in their retirement journeys, and will continue to read with interest your stories.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2014 as of 12 June 14: <-- replaced with a later list.
Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Jan 14, 2014 @ 57. more than "Enough" was realized - both in terms of work bs and funding. I'm still in the process of figuring out the retirement out though. So far so good but I must admit to a "few months of sloth".
cfs

Post by cfs »

hicabob wrote:Jan 14, 2014 @ 57. more than "Enough" was realized - both in terms of work bs and funding. I'm still in the process of figuring out the retirement out though. So far so good but I must admit to a "few months of sloth".
So, Bob, did you retire on 1/14/14--or still working on the actual retirement date? Thanks for reading.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

cfs wrote:
hicabob wrote:Jan 14, 2014 @ 57. more than "Enough" was realized - both in terms of work bs and funding. I'm still in the process of figuring out the retirement out though. So far so good but I must admit to a "few months of sloth".
So, Bob, did you retire on 1/14/14--or still working on the actual retirement date? Thanks for reading.

I retired then.
NOgmacks

Post by NOgmacks »

Grateful1 wrote:It’s official. I have turned in my retirement application. Victoria you can add me to the Retirement Class of 2014.

Retiring age 62 from Federal government after 35 1/2 yrs of service effective June 30, 2014. Career involved long strings of 12+ hr. days, weekends and nights on call, high stress profession. GS15-15 (plus), "wearing 3 different hats", simultaneously 3 different job titles each with hugh responsibilities. Basically rose through the ranks to high levels of supervision but chose to continue to also remain on the front line of work while supervising staff of 70 direct report professionals locally, and hundreds regionally. It has been a satisfying career as I know I helped restore the health of many thousands of people directly, multiples more indirectly, and in the process I helped train about 120 of the next generation.

As I leave federal employment I find that I have accumulated 83 unused vacation days and 1 1/2 yrs. of unused sick leave. In retrospect I was too dedicated; my commitment to the work exceeding that of my agency. So I am probably a bit burned out and it would have been wiser too have used the vacation time along the way.

I seriously wanted to retire 1 yr. ago but my arm got twisted to stay to continue important work. I feel even more sure and ready to retire now than I did a year ago. In the interval I helped train my replacement(s) so the earth will keep spinning. In retirement I am looking forward to enjoying my first summer vacation since junior high. Potentially many opportunities for private sector part-time or intermittent work so suspect I may in 3 to 6 months be looking to work a little but on my own terms. Already getting my arm twisted/invited to return to fed gov on fee basis, and by private sector head hunters. Nope, at least not now. Freedom!!

I have many many interests I'd put on the back burner that I want to revive, and many more new interests to explore. Going to the aviation expo Air Venture for the first time this July, something I have wanted to do for ages. Have signed up for a fly fishing clinic next week and am planning a trout fishing trip out west. Will be able to spend some time in the sun with my wife on nearby lake on our pontoon. Buying a Sawstop table saw as a retirement present to myself (sawstop so I don't cut my fingers off) and will begin again my woodworking hobby. Radio controlled airplanes will come off the ceiling in the basement and fly again. Plan to get back into flying general aviation aircraft and become current again with instrument flying. Perhaps volunteer as tow pilot for local soaring club. For a lark am going to try some bee keeping. Joined a club and I have made arrangements with an acquaintance who has newly planted a vineyard to let me place some hives on his property. He was overjoyed to have the bees for pollination and I am glad to have a place to do this nearby. Hope to see much more of my grandchildren and family. I am very mindful that retirement will affect both me and my wife. More time with each other but we will still maintain separate interests ... like the book "Happy retirement, subtitled For Better or Worse but Not for Lunch". Will spend more time at the range as I enjoy marksmanship. Joining a skeet club. Would like to get a dog but wife will need convincing. Long have been active in our church and look forward to becoming more involved. Looking into possibly becoming a Court Appointed Special Advocate for childen (My own childhood could have benefited from such an adult outside the family advocating for my interests among the chaos, so I have interest in helping others in similar circumstance). Want to occasionally take the time to make homemade bread. Kneading the dough seems therapeutic, it smells so good cooking, and tastes so good. Yum. Plan to exercise daily, consistently alternating days of swimming, upper body and lower body work outs, plus bike riding in the summer and cross country skiing in the winter, etc. Hope to drop about 10 lbs. and improve fitness level. And computer programing, science and math learning for the joy of it, probably takes some classes, continue lifelong learning, etc. about two more pages of pent up interests I can hardly wait to get started on. Books, books, books to read too.

I am looking forward to the 4th of July fireworks just a few days after my retirement. It will seem like a celebration of my new found freedom.

You have had an awesome and satisfying career it looks like. Enjoy your retirement.

I can try to get some tips from you regarding life, I am sure.

I saw that you might be interested in Computer Programming including a plethora of other choices, but, this link might get you started with it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/wiki/faq#toc_1
Dave C.

Post by Dave C. »

Grateful1 wrote:It’s official. I have turned in my retirement application. Victoria you can add me to the Retirement Class of 2014.

Now that is ambition squared!!! It's always interesting to me to see how people respond so differently to the same stimulus, retirement in this case. I retired 30 days ago and after reading your post.....I need a nap!!
We are selling everything and leaving the Midwest in September for the desert southwest, already sold our home and bought one in Mesa, AZ. I'm 35 years in a 12-step program, and will keep that going. I'm a Hospice volunteer, and will keep that going. That's it. Everything else will fall in the bucket----"Whatever moves me at the moment".
I admire someone like the above poster that can lay out such a clear path into a region they have never been before (retirement). Admiration yes, envy no. 8-)
Easy does it/Live & Let Live/One day at a time. Thanks Bill.
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

Winding down final project and passed on two other projects so I guess I am retired. Being self employed allows you to go out without much fanfare. Got plenty of interests/travel plans, "Enough" resources, God willing time, to relax and smoke a cigar which I am doing now! Yes Victoria I owe you an email.
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

59 - 60 years old
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Wricha wrote:59 - 60 years old
What retirement date should I use for you?

Victoria
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

Sept 2014 see u at conference
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Class of 2014 as of 18 June 14: <-- replaced with a later list.
Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grateful1

Post by Grateful1 »

Retired yesterday on schedule! :happy

Now on to new horizons! :beer