I saw a "Boglehead" on my flight yesterday!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
VictoriaF

Re: I saw a "Boglehead" on my flight yesterday!

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:46 pm

HueyLD wrote:I won a Vanguard coffee cup and used it to drink coffee while preparing tax returns for others. Several (smart) people were impressed and wanted to know where they could get theirs. I did not reveal the "how to" part. :)
You are so lucky! I've attended seven conferences and never won anything.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

cfs

Post by cfs » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:14 pm

That was a good one, I need to get one of those coffee cups, and checking the Vanguard logo merchandise, this is what I found:

Vanguard Ceramic Mug
$6.99
White ceramic bistro mug with handle.
8 oz, 4" tall.

"You receive a discount if you purchase merchandise in these quantities: 15 to 24 items: 15% off, 25 items or more: 25% off."

On my next phone conversation with one of the Vanguard compadres I will ask the question - Can you send me one of those fancy Vanguard Ceramic Mugs?

Thanks for reading this note.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

synpacket

Post by synpacket » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:08 pm

VictoriaF wrote:To be easily recognized as a Boglehead, you must have the Bogle head, and only one person has it.

Victoria
Just had to say, this cracked me up!

NOLA

Post by NOLA » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:31 pm

LowER wrote:
BL wrote:
gailcox wrote:The reference I made earlier to the other passenger I had onboard that was using the "Vanguard" pen? Well, the funniest thing was HE was using HIS Vanguard pen, as he was doing paperwork on the flight, and I was using MY Vanguard pen as I worked on the beverage cart. I just happened to know this person (Dr. Rich) because he attends the North Texas Boglehead meetings. We both cracked up laughing when we realized that we each were using our very, very special pen! For those of you that don't know about it, there IS a secret Boglehead handshake that Victoria invented. Maybe that could be our 'secret' identifier to each other!
A good pen is a great idea for a Boglehead keepsake!
I'll buy several!
Me too, but only if it is at cost!

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:46 pm

I already have a coffee mug, but I have another one coming through a FaceBook like.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:16 pm

That is a nice story and always good to hear. Thank you for sharing.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

SGM

Post by SGM » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:09 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
HueyLD wrote:I won a Vanguard coffee cup and used it to drink coffee while preparing tax returns for others. Several (smart) people were impressed and wanted to know where they could get theirs. I did not reveal the "how to" part. :)
You are so lucky! I've attended seven conferences and never won anything.

Victoria
You won accolades for best Boglehead handshake.

Mursili

Post by Mursili » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:19 pm

LowER wrote: I still want a Boglehead pen, or several!!
I'm a stalwart Boglehead! I will pay any price for your pens. :twisted:
When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

normsie

Post by normsie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:11 pm

i took my vanguard blanket in my tote bag last week.it was on a flight to portland,oregon.we were all packed in there so dang tight there was no need for a blanky.i was ready to pull it out though.always proud to display my "devotion" to vanguard.
gail always has the best stories.

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:19 pm

Vanguard sent me a pen with a USB at the other end last holiday season because I responded to one of their Facebook posts. After reading this thread, I think I'm going to have to take it around with me now just to see if anyone spots it and asks me if I'm a Boglehead. :happy

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:04 pm

I also lucked into a Vanguard coffee mug last year. I don't drink coffee from it that often, but when I do I feel...wealthy and blessed. :D
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.

DRiP Guy

Post by DRiP Guy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:24 pm

Okay, I can't take it any more!

I need swag!

Bogleheads SWAG, dagnabit!

:annoyed

shawcroft

A "Boglehead" seen in the daylight!

Post by shawcroft » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:27 pm

Indeed,
From what Gail reports, it appears Bogleheads numbers are increasing and we are beginning to see them coming out of their caves and moving about in the daylight.
Shawcroft

(just kidding, folks!)

VictoriaF

Re: A "Boglehead" seen in the daylight!

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:36 pm

shawcroft wrote:Indeed,
From what Gail reports, it appears Bogleheads numbers are increasing and we are beginning to see them coming out of their caves and moving about in the daylight.
Shawcroft

(just kidding, folks!)
Bogleheads are like squirrels. They have always been there, but there was no one to notice them.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Fallible

Re: A "Boglehead" seen in the daylight!

Post by Fallible » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm

shawcroft wrote:Indeed,
Shawcroft

(just kidding, folks!)
I think of Bogleheads emerging into the daylight more like this great cover on Rick Ferri's book, The Power of Passive Investing. You don't know who's a Boglehead until the moment calls for it, like when a new investor cries out for help:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Power-Passive ... +investing
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

BL

Post by BL » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:06 pm

Ice-9 wrote:Vanguard sent me a pen with a USB at the other end last holiday season because I responded to one of their Facebook posts. After reading this thread, I think I'm going to have to take it around with me now just to see if anyone spots it and asks me if I'm a Boglehead. :happy
Oh, I want one!