NE Ohio (Cleveland Area) Master Thread

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
onmyway33

Re: NE Ohio (Cleveland Area) Master Thread

Post by onmyway33 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:29 pm

North East Ohio Bogleheads,

I am disappointed to announce that we have decided to cancel our next scheduled Bogleheads meeting out of concern for the well being of our meeting attendees, plus the library has cancelled the meeting rooms scheduled for this weekend. We will plan to resume meetings in May. Additional information will be provided closer to the meeting.

If any of you are interested (and would like to divert your attention from current news), I recommend you watch the PBS Frontline special "The retirement gamble" that aired on April 23 2013. It provides lot of great deal of background information into index fund investing, features Jack Bogle prominently, and may be a bit reassuring in these troubling times. Maybe it will help steady your financial ship amidst choppy waters as it has mine.

Here is a link: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film ... nt-gamble/

I wish you all good health, a level head, and that you stay your financial course,

Chris
"When the market's going up, we think it's going to go up forever. When the market goes down, we think it's going to go down forever. Neither of those things actually happen" - John C. Bogle

bobinberea

Post by bobinberea » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:55 pm

Indeed, good health and wholeness to one and all!

Bob Fowler/BobinBerea

onmyway33

Post by onmyway33 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:16 am

The Columbus, Ohio Bogleheads chapter has very graciously invited us to attend their next scheduled chapter meeting, which will be held online using Zoom. The meeting is scheduled for 3pm to 5pm on Sunday, April 5th .

More information regarding the meeting can be found on their chapter thread, here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=226070&start=100

If you wish to attend, please contact the Columbus chapter coordinator, sign up for their meeting list, or you may contact me for additional information.

I wish you all good health and a steady compass to guide you amidst stormy financial seas,

Chris
"When the market's going up, we think it's going to go up forever. When the market goes down, we think it's going to go down forever. Neither of those things actually happen" - John C. Bogle

RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:57 pm

This is Mark, the organizer of the Columbus Bogleheads. Just wanted to welcome you to our meeting next weekend - I know it's also a different day and time than you're used to, but I hope you're able to join us for what ought to be an interesting meeting/discussion.

I also wanted to let you know that we changed the start time of the meeting to 2:30pm on Sunday (5April - vice 3:00) to accommodate introductions from everybody. This will be our chapter's first ever online meeting - although there has been desire in the past by some to make technology available for call-ins.

I gave your coordinator the Zoom meeting link for you to join us as you desire. Take care and hope to see/meet some of you next weekend.

Mark

RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:59 pm

P.S. More info. will be coming in the next few days on potential topics/tech tips for using Zoom.

RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:48 pm

Just a few items regarding our online meeting this Sunday (5 Apr) at 2:30.

Topic input includes the market, rebalancing, tax-loss harvesting, stimulus legislation & marginal tax rates.

Not sure we’ll have time to fully cover all these, but after the initial starter slides (as applicable for any new members) and introductions we’ll start with the market and go from there.

Here’s a couple of links to review before the meeting regarding some of the topic input:

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/bear- ... ld-you-do/
(Things to do and not to do during a bear market)

https://www.kitces.com/blog/analyzing-t ... -pandemic/
(Summary of the CARES Act – stimulus legislation)

Since we’ll be doing the meeting on Zoom, here’s a few Zoom tips and a link covering basic meeting attendee controls:

Keep yourself muted when you’re not talking – to reduce background noise, especially if we have 40-50+ people on the line.

Get on the video call a few minutes early to ensure your video/audio are working and to familiarize yourself with the controls as necessary. (download the app/desktop client software as needed first – or use the Zoom web portal)

Main non-verbal feedback features include: Raising your hand & thumbs up/down

Chat feature also exists (for asking questions) – chat can be to all participants or 1 to 1. Following is the link for meeting attendee controls:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articl ... -a-Meeting
During the meeting, please plan to ask questions or make comments via the chat or “hand-raising” feature.

See you all on Sunday. Take care and stay healthy.

RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:20 am

North East Bogleheads,

You're again invited to join the Columbus Bogleheads meeting online at 3-5pm on 10 May. More info. is at the following thread:viewtopic.php?f=9&t=226070&p=5184219#p5184219

RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine » Wed May 06, 2020 1:59 pm

North East Bogleheads,

As a reminder, you're invited to join the Columbus Bogleheads meeting online at 3-5pm on Sunday, 10 May. More info. is at the following thread:viewtopic.php?f=9&t=226070&start=100