St Louis Bogleheads

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
drg02b

Re: St Louis Bogleheads

Post by drg02b »

Oh, yikes. Just saw this. Will try to attend if I am available.

Also, another update -- Larry Swedroe's talk at the Central Library (downtown St. Louis) is next Thursday, April 26 (6:30-8:30). I created an event in the ChooseFI St. Louis group for this talk, and if anyone is interested, we will grab a beer at Urban Chestnut (3229 Washington) around 8:45ish after the talk.
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

Hoping to see everyone today at 3pm at twinOak pizza in Brentwood (1201 Strassner)!
bkweathe

Post by bkweathe »

I'm sorry I couldn't make it to the meeting yesterday. I hope to join you folks in the future.

Brad
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

We had a great time meeting each other and the time flew by. Looking forward to the next one. Big thanks to "Veiled!"
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

Great first revival of the St Louis chapter of the Bogleheads. We enjoyed some great stories and shared investing experiences with each of the group adding to the Boglehead way of investing.

Thanks to Veiled for getting the first meeting under way and being solely responsible for the "revival".

Hope to meet with everyone again in a couple months.

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

dwickenh wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:49 pm Great first revival of the St Louis chapter of the Bogleheads. We enjoyed some great stories and shared investing experiences with each of the group adding to the Boglehead way of investing.

Thanks to Veiled for getting the first meeting under way and being solely responsible for the "revival".

Hope to meet with everyone again in a couple months.

Dan
Dan and epicahab beat me to announcing that we all had a great time!

The group was thinking of meeting again in July, and St. Charles was suggested as a possible location. When we get closer, I'll start sending out PMs to those who expressed interest but couldn't make it to last weekend's meeting. In the mean time, I hope everyone enjoys the start of summer and stays the course.
ElPenguino

Post by ElPenguino »

I am also in STL and would love to join the next meetup.
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

Hello St. Louis Bogleheads! As we discussed when we met in May, it'd be great to be meeting every few months and in different places to draw out different parts of the crowd. We'd talked about finding a place to eat in St. Charles in July or August.

Right now, I find myself busier than I anticipated for this summer. I'd love to start planning a get-together in September, though. I'm soliciting venue suggestions and your availability. I hope we can have another great conversation!
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

Sounds great to me, Veiled. There are lots of nice restaurants off St. Charles Main including Trailhead, Mill Stream, Lewis & Clark's, etc.
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

I might be interested, but would be more so for a more central location. Something in the Clayton->Chesterfield area. I think this is relatively central North-South, and East-West, and probably within 30 minutes of a larger portion of the St. Louis area than St. Charles. But if it's St. Charles this next time, so be it - I might catch the one after...
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

I might be interested as well. I live on the east side, but have no problem traveling. St. Charles is fine, but Clayton or closer to downtown would be fine as well.
Doc

Post by Doc »

The first time we ever did this Larry hosted us and IIRC his firm even supplied lunch. :D

And we got a tour of their bond desk! (It's not like we see in the movies.)
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.
Chindsey

Post by Chindsey »

I enjoyed our most recent get-together and look forward to the next one, wherever the group decides.
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

It’s wonderful to hear from you all, those who attended last time and some new faces.

Last time we met in Clayton because of its central location. At that meeting, seveal people suggested St. Charles. Its a nice area although geographically further from some. I would like to hear from as many people as possible where you’d like to meet. We could certainly have a second Clayton meeting and afterwards branch out to west county or downtown.
deeppizza

Post by deeppizza »

I would be interested as well. Live in Clayton, so that would be more convenient, but also work in St. Charles, so could make it work on a weeknight.
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

Would those who suggested St. Charles (looking at you epicahab) be okay with Chesterfield while we're still meeting new faces in the area? I think it might be beneficial to catch as many people as possible before we sample more of greater St. Louis.
denstl

Post by denstl »

Chesterfield works for me. Oh wait, I just happen to live in Chesterfield. But I am open to meeting wherever works for most.
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

denstl wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:08 pm Chesterfield works for me. Oh wait, I just happen to live in Chesterfield. But I am open to meeting wherever works for most.
:beer
akron1977

Post by akron1977 »

Clayton/Chesterfield better situated for this SoCo resident, but St Charles is do-able
Doc

Post by Doc »

I went to the very first local Bogleheads meeting several years ago and it was in Clayton. Go west young men ( and women) and grow up with the country county.

Seriously, a west county location is probably the most cenral and traffic free choice. (Someplce near Larry's maybe?)
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.
rick2427

Post by rick2427 »

I live in Columbia, Mo and would like to attend the next meeting wherever it may be.

Thanks,
Rick
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
V49

Post by V49 »

How do I join the St. Louis group? Like to attend next meeting.
Thanks
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

We have emailed a little but this is basically the group, here in this thread.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

Sorry Veiled,

I missed your July post but am also ready for another local meeting. Clayton area or West county/St Charles area all work for me.

The only time bad in Sept would be 9/11 to 9/14 as I will be traveling in Tennessee.

If you need assistance in choosing a venue, let me know and I can lean on my son for a good place!! He lives in the

St Peters/Weldon Springs area.

Looking forward to seeing all from the May meeting and any new people that are interested.

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
sambb

Post by sambb »

West:
Kaldi's at Boones Crossing has a room.
Starbucks at Clayton and Mason has one very large table but is very busy.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

dwickenh wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:39 pm St Peters/Weldon Springs area.
Weldon Spring. Just the one.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:35 am
dwickenh wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:39 pm St Peters/Weldon Springs area.
Weldon Spring. Just the one.
My Bad.
jeffh19

Post by jeffh19 »

I'd like to go, but I'm often working late and I live in Springfield, IL.

How many people normally show up? Is it just guys hanging together at tables talking and BSing or what? Average age/are there many younger folks?
V49

Post by V49 »

Next meeting?
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

I have to apologize to everyone for dropping the ball on arranging a meeting. I've been traveling a lot as I interview for a new job and will likely move away from St. Louis. It's a crazy time of life for me and I can't commit to arranging another meeting. Again, I'm sorry.

I'm hopeful that those who came together before could make it happen again, though. It was awesome to meet you all and there's a lot of potential energy in the camaraderie and experience in the bogleheads of St. Louis.
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

I'm sorry to hear that for our group here but I wish you the best in your interviews and possible move. Good luck!
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

epicahab wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:08 pm I'm sorry to hear that for our group here but I wish you the best in your interviews and possible move. Good luck!
Thanks for your kind wishes! I'm sad to leave, it was looking like this group would evolve into something really neat. Wonderful group of people. :(
pittpirate1985

Post by pittpirate1985 »

Do add my name to the list. I would be interested in attending future meetups. Thanks (now an stlcardinal1985 but cant change the username!)
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

pittpirate1985 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:44 am Do add my name to the list. I would be interested in attending future meetups. Thanks (now an stlcardinal1985 but cant change the username!)
...sure you can, just contact LadyGeek with the new name (make sure that it’s not used by someone else...) and she’ll take care of it. your old posts will be converted into the new name in the process.
SnoopyOct1950

Post by SnoopyOct1950 »

New to Bogleheads and hope to attend next meeting of group. Researching options to move from EDJ and rollover from Traditional to Roth as I'm newly retired.
past FRA... RMD next...
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

SnoopyOct1950 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:32 pm New to Bogleheads and hope to attend next meeting of group. Researching options to move from EDJ and rollover from Traditional to Roth as I'm newly retired.
Welcome. Most are gonna say use Vanguard for your rollover. As far as traditional to Roth, we'd need a lot more info to know if that was a good idea. It depends on your tax rate, age, etc.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

epicahab wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:13 pm
SnoopyOct1950 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:32 pm New to Bogleheads and hope to attend next meeting of group. Researching options to move from EDJ and rollover from Traditional to Roth as I'm newly retired.
Welcome. Most are gonna say use Vanguard for your rollover. As far as traditional to Roth, we'd need a lot more info to know if that was a good idea. It depends on your tax rate, age, etc.
Hey epicahab,

I think we need to set up a January meeting of the St Louis Bogleheads in the St Peters area. Do you have a cozy
location in mind that might work for us?

Looking forward to seeing everyone again and any newcomers that would be interested in a couple hours of sharing
experiences.

Best to you,

Dan
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

Dan, I agree and it's nice to hear from you.

Most people recoiled in horror at the thought of Saint Peters...what about West County, perhaps Westport Plaza?

Edit: The Trainwreck Saloon is pretty laid back with good food.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

epicahab wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:41 pm Dan, I agree and it's nice to hear from you.

Most people recoiled in horror at the thought of Saint Peters...what about West County, perhaps Westport Plaza?

Edit: The Trainwreck Saloon is pretty laid back with good food.
That would work great for most people and The Train Wreck sounds great. Maybe a Saturday afternoon lunch meeting?
What do you think of the 19th or 25th?

Dan
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

Let's say the 19th weather permitting.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

epicahab wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:50 pm Let's say the 19th weather permitting.
This will be the first meeting of 2019 for the St Louis Bogleheads at 1:00 p.m.
Saturday January 19th at the Train Wreck Saloon in Westport Plaza.
https://www.trainwrecksaloon.com/

Please respond in this post so we have an approximate head count for table/tables.

It is great fun to discuss investing/retirement subjects and meet new people.

Hope to see everyone in January,

Dan
HawkeyeJD

Post by HawkeyeJD »

I’ll try to attend this one!
SnoopyOct1950

Post by SnoopyOct1950 »

Looking fwd to joining the discussion. Cya there.
past FRA... RMD next...
Chindsey

Post by Chindsey »

I enjoyed our last meeting and plan on attending. Thanks, Dan.

Chindsey
denstl

Post by denstl »

I will be there on the 19th. Probably bring my wife this time. Trying to get her to start to understand our finances. So far she only wants to be part of the spend side. :happy Thanks for setting this up.
MandyT

Post by MandyT »

This sounds great. I live about 1 hr 45 minutes away, so a lot will depend on the weather, but I'd like to be "on the list".
iflyhigh

Post by iflyhigh »

good to see people meeting up in January. I would love to be there but will be out of town at a wedding. Would love to be added to any lists/email chains/etc

Do we have a "page"? be it facebook, linked in, or something i can join? Thank you!

Also, will someone post something about discussions/talks that take place? And age group here? I am 32, married and live in the burbs of STL.
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

We had an active email thread going for a while but it fizzled out. A Facebook group might be good but I don't know if it would do the same.
rick2427

Post by rick2427 »

I live approx. 90 minutes away , will try to attend with wife weather permitting.

Thanks,
Rick
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
drg02b

Post by drg02b »

"wife weather" ??? Don't tell her you referenced her weather... :)