[Virtual online chapter - Master thread]

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: [Virtual online chapter - Master thread]

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:09 pm

lazylarry wrote:Just wanted to let anyone interested in attending virtual bogleheads group (more info in the local groups section on this forum), that our next meeting will be about Tilting and will be on 8/23 at 8pm EST. We will have a quick 10-25 min presentation and then open questions afterwards. If you are interested, please email me at virtualbogleheads@gmail.com
I moved your post into here.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:42 pm

Was fun attending my first virtual meeting, looking forward to more! Thanks for starting and hosting lazylarry!

Lieutenant.Columbo

Post by Lieutenant.Columbo » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:27 pm

are the sessions being archived so that we could play them after the fact?
Lt. Columbo: Well, what do you know. Here I am talking with some of the smartest people in the world, and I didn't even notice!

lazylarry

Post by lazylarry » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:21 pm

Hi All,

It's that time of year again for our Fourth Virtual Bogleheads Meeting. It will be September 20, 2017 @ 8pm EST.
Topic to be decided and the links will be provided via Zoom in my next email in about a week.

Email virtualbogleheads@gmail.com if you are interested in joining and are not on the listserve already (or didn't get my email that I sent out about five minutes ago).

Lieutenant.Columbo wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:27 pm
are the sessions being archived so that we could play them after the fact?
Not really - I have the powerpoints if you wanted to review them - email me. I think archiving the videos would be harder because I wouldn't want people to have their statements uploaded without their permission or have that be a potential barrier to participation. Also I don't know if it is technologically feasible.
Asking questions: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6212 | My profile: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=86026

djmbob

Post by djmbob » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:02 pm

To record a zoom session, the host clicks on the Record button at the bottom toolbar. All participants can see in the top left of their screen that the session is being recorded.

Some participants can also call into the session, their face does not appear on the screen, only their number, but others can hear their voice.

The recorded file could be downloaded to the hosts pc (or cloud), then uploaded to a dropbox account which can be restricted just to the members of the Virtual Chapter.

Cheers,
Ray

digarei

Post by digarei » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:10 am

lazylarry wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:21 pm

It's that time of year again for our Fourth Virtual Bogleheads Meeting. It will be September 20, 2017 @ 8pm EST.
Topic to be decided and the links will be provided via Zoom in my next email in about a week.

Email virtualbogleheads@gmail.com if you are interested in joining and are not on the listserve already (or didn't get my email that I sent out about five minutes ago).

I'm uncertain about the time specified for the upcoming virtual meeting — "8pm EST" (Eastern Standard Time). I believe that most states and US possessions employ Daylight Savings Time until November 5. Did you mean to write "EDT (Eastern Daylight Time)" ? My other thought is that you're located in Hawaii or Arizona and quite accustomed to scheduling meetings using Standard Time.

As a west coast resident, I would expect to subtract 3 hours from Eastern Daylight Time (UTC-4) to convert to Pacific Daylight Time (UTC-7) for a start time of 5:00pm PDT. A meeting start time of 8pm EST translates to UTC-5, a difference of two hours.... or am I just confused?

Thanks for clearing this up!

:happy
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.

lazylarry

Post by lazylarry » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:26 pm

digarei wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:10 am
lazylarry wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:21 pm

I'm uncertain about the time specified for the upcoming virtual meeting — "8pm EST" (Eastern Standard Time). I believe that most states and US possessions employ Daylight Savings Time until November 5. Did you mean to write "EDT (Eastern Daylight Time)" ? My other thought is that you're located in Hawaii or Arizona and quite accustomed to scheduling meetings using Standard Time.

As a west coast resident, I would expect to subtract 3 hours from Eastern Daylight Time (UTC-4) to convert to Pacific Daylight Time (UTC-7) for a start time of 5:00pm PDT. A meeting start time of 8pm EST translates to UTC-5, a difference of two hours.... or am I just confused?

Thanks for clearing this up!

:happy
Fascinating, I totally did not realize this existed - I just used to call every time zone "standard" because that's what I thought ESPN used. But the corrected time would be 8pm Eastern Time Zone if that makes sense, so it would be 8pm EDT actually.
Asking questions: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6212 | My profile: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=86026

digarei

Post by digarei » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:53 pm

1c
My thanks to lazylarry for hosting yesterday's meeting of the Virtual Online Bogleheads Chapter. For now, this may be the only venue where one can meet Bogleheads from other cities and towns face to face without incurring the cost of an airline ticket and hotel room.

Not having experienced video conferencing before while working for an employer at home, I found the experience nearly as intimate as meeting in person and in some ways, more so. Though the conference software allows participants to call in without appearing on camera, I believe most connected as I did, through a computer or laptop w/camera—I used an iPad with the device's front-facing camera capturing my face and some of my home office surroundings.

Boston chapter coordinator siamond gave an informal presentation on the subject of Roth conversions and taxes.

He demonstrated that a couple now in their 50s with good earnings, a substantial amount saved into both tax deferred (e.g. 401(k)) and taxable accounts, who planned to retire at age 60 and delay SS by funding their interim expenses from taxable could expect large fluctuations in the amount of federal taxes they owed--ranging from a negligible sum in each of the first 10 years in retirement to substantial amounts in their 70s, when additional liability would be created by the increased regular income (SS/RMDs). This could mean a substantial drop in their net income at a time when it may be most needed.

If the couple were to have performed Roth conversions in their first years of retirement they could have reduced the aggregate amount of federal taxes paid while smoothing their net income.

But every situation is different and, as was pointed out by several other attendees and acknowledged by siamond, extrapolating a rule of thumb or specific guidance from the outcome of one scenario is problematic. Income sources (and therefore tax liability) vary, moving to a different state or country in retirement could affect tax liability and income. Important questions arise in respect to any financial plan that hasn't accounted for changes in circumstance, such as one or both partners dying before the benefits of the plan are realized. I-ORP was highlighted as a useful tool in negotiating these issues.

Thanks for an enjoyable discussion. Looking forward to the next meeting.
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.

lazylarry

Post by lazylarry » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:42 pm

Heads up that the next virtual meeting will be November 1st at 8pm EDT. If you are interested and not on the email listserve, email me at virtualbogleheads@gmail.com and I'll get you added and send the email with information!!