Any LDS Bogleheads out there? [Latter Day Saints]

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
arsenebould

Any LDS Bogleheads out there? [Latter Day Saints]

Post by arsenebould » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:04 pm

Hey guys,

I wanted to know factoring tithing and other things, what type of funds do you favor for investing?

What are your respective net worth wrt to age(if you would like to share).

How much time do you spend each month managing your money?

Thanks a lot for your responses!!!

Calm Man

Re: Any LDS Bogleheads out there?

Post by Calm Man » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:13 pm

I don't think anybody would freely admit to taking LSD as it could lead to trouble. But I believe that while on an LSD trip one should not make money management moves.

SecretAsianMan

Post by SecretAsianMan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:14 pm

Tithing should have no bearing on which funds a person chooses.

I guess there could be issues as to which companies to invest in (no alcohol or caffeine purveyors?). When it comes to ethical investing, however, given the rather desultory investing options out there I believe most Bogleheads advise investing in the total market and perhaps donating extra profits you receive to the church/charity of your choice.

SAM

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:29 pm

Calm Man wrote:I don't think anybody would freely admit to taking LSD as it could lead to trouble. But I believe that while on an LSD trip one should not make money management moves.
It is LDS - Latter Day Saints, not LSD.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:51 pm

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, often called "LDS church"--particularly by members--and/or "Mormons."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:59 pm

HueyLD wrote:It is LDS - Latter Day Saints, not LSD.
Last edited by VictoriaF on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CABob

Post by CABob » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:07 pm

In my mind tithing is just another expense and has no bearing on investments.
My investments have to do with an investing plan, low costs, mostly indexing approach considering risk and goals.
I spend very little time managing money unless you include time spent on this forum in which case the time goes up significantly.
Bob

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:09 pm

Index Funds, and some actively managed funds.
Pass,on the second question
A few hours :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

taegirain3

Post by taegirain3 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:11 pm

Yes -- I looked at funds tracking the FTSE Social Index for exactly that reason. It's not bad from the financial perspective, diversified, not terribly different from an S&P 500 Fund. One of its top-ten holdings is Pepsi, though...

Don't hold VICEX, I think.

Calm Man

Post by Calm Man » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:03 pm

Ah. When I watch a football game with BYU they say it is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I actually once researched it and was sort of shocked that this was started by some American I think rather recently. Regardless, would a person actually invest based on whether a person running the investments was LDS or let LDS have any influence on investing? That would eliminate about 99% of the possibilities and for what purpose?

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:09 pm

There was a tithing thread last Spring that got locked because people have different views on tithing.
You may find what you are looking for in this thread, and can probably private message some of the contributors.
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 2&t=115709

jjbiv

Post by jjbiv » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:23 pm

Not LDS myself but there is some good personal finance info from the Marriott School at BYU here: http://personalfinance.byu.edu/.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:42 am

^^^ That website is in the wiki: Bogleheads® financial literacy project (under "Website resources")

As stan1 alludes, religion is a very personal and sensitive subject. Members can PM the OP to discuss privately.

If any unwelcome PMs are received, please report them and we will take care of it. See: REPORTING VIOLATIONS AND UNWELCOME PMs.

I retitled the thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Any LDS Bogleheads out there? [Latter Day Saints]

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:34 pm

This thread is now in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum, as it is a general question related to all Boglehead members.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:03 pm

If you'd like to start one or more LDS Boglehead Local Chapters, let me know and I'll help your group get started.

While we don't allow religious discussions here on the forum, local chapter members can set their own rules, including allowing religious discussions at meetings.

Good luck in getting organized!
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Finsfan

Post by Finsfan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:34 pm

LDS pay tithing on 10% of their gross income.

And it's tax deductible as a charitable donation. :greedy

02sbxstr

Post by 02sbxstr » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:16 pm

I continue to be amazed at the attention paid to LDS people. They are just the same as your next door neighbors. I am not a member of their church but have worked for and with them for 15 years. They are Americans, they support our military (my last supervisor's son went to West Point), they tend to be conservative, they plan to take care of themselves and their community, they are not proselitizers, in short, they are ideal Americans. Their plan is to prepare to take care of themselves in retirement. America would be better of with more of this philosophy.

ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:37 pm

This thread isn't a poke at LDS members, it's a discussion of how you compute a tithe. You don't have to be LDS to believe in or practice tithing, so it's a relevant discussion for many. EmergDoc gave some good discussion points in the related thread, link posted previously by stan1.

CABob

Post by CABob » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:09 pm

arsenebould wrote:I wanted to know factoring tithing and other things, what type of funds do you favor for investing?
The original post asked about favored funds when factoring tithing. My reponse above indicated that personally, fund selection had no relation to tithing and I suspect that would be the response by many. This conversation seems to be going off in a lot of different directions.
Bob

LAbob

Post by LAbob » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:50 pm

02sbxstr wrote:I continue to be amazed at the attention paid to LDS people. They are just the same as your next door neighbors. ... they are not proselitizers, in short, they are ideal Americans.
[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:00 pm

LAbob wrote:
02sbxstr wrote:I continue to be amazed at the attention paid to LDS people. They are just the same as your next door neighbors. ... they are not proselitizers, in short, they are ideal Americans.
[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]
The OP didn't inject anything of the sort into this thread. So don't hijack and try to be a nice person. Your mother would have wanted it that way.

JT

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:07 pm

The intent of moving the thread into the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum was to assist the OP looking for members with a similar background.

The OP now has several answers in regards to tithing and investment approaches. Additionally, members may PM the OP or start a Bogleheads chapter.

Let's stop the discussion here, as we are now going further off-topic. This thread has run its course and is locked. See: Forum Policy
Locked Topics

Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.