New York City Local Chapter established

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
ALinLI

Re: New York City Local Chapter established

Post by ALinLI »

i am interested in attending as well.
NYCPete

Post by NYCPete »

I would be very interested in attending as well. Sony Atrium is a great suggestion, and there are dozens of other spaces like it all over the city. The best part about these places is people will not be required or feel obligated to purchase something for attending.

Privately owned public spaces in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens

Best,
Peter
To the extent that a fool knows his foolishness, | He may be deemed wise | A fool who considers himself wise | Is indeed a fool. | | Buddha
salfer03

Post by salfer03 »

Hi Quanuec...... Please add me to your email list ,, I was in the group with Avr.
in White Plains... email At [Personally identifying email address removed by admin LadyGeek. Use PM instead.]
Keep in touch

thank you
SMF
salfer03

Post by salfer03 »

quanuec wrote:Sony Plaza Public Atrium - I like this idea.

Would they allow us to meet and use the public atrium?

I would visit this atrium on Thursday and ask questions to make sure this can be used for our meeting. If yes, then I will organize a time and date for us to begin this chapter!!
Another thought for place to meet : Maybe the NYCITY public library has meeting rooms available
Just a thought !!
Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

(1) Public library is a great idea - but they only have capacity to host maximum 10 people.

(2) We will have our first meeting in Sony Atrium in about a couple of weeks. I will arrange this on a weeknight (most likely Thursday evening). We will also have an optional post meetup event (walk up to a bar and have a drink). I will create an Evite, post it on this forum, and also advertise my email address. Once I have your email addresses, I will create an email group.

(3) The enthusiasm shown by the NYC Chapter has been exceptional!! We will most likely split into two or more sub-groups groups (limiting membership to maximum 10 per sub-group). I believe this should help in having more productive meetings. In our first meetup, we can discuss this and maybe a few of us can step up to moderate their respective sub groups.

Please let me know if you have more feedback here. Look forward to meeting you all soon!
avram53

Post by avram53 »

Quanuec,

Nice work! I'm so glad you have come along to
organize and excite Bogleheads in the NY area.
You're going to have a great first meeting.

Best,
Ave
(Life is good, appreciate every day! Simplicity in investing works for me.)
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I just returned form MA/Me vacation and missed this. Definitely include me in this group.
Avram might have a list of people in the area that would be interested. There is certainly
enough interest for a meeting.

I would be willing to assist.
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

I spend about half the year in New York and would be interested in meeting(s) when I am in town.

Thanks!
MoneyTalks183

Post by MoneyTalks183 »

I work in Midtown and would love to attend as well.

Please post the time and location to this forum when the details are finalized.
webslinger

Post by webslinger »

Any updates on the NYC meeting date?

Webslinger
Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

Yes - I am trying to set this on June 13th Thursday, at Sony Atrium.

I have been told that I should contact Meital - 212.692.5265 and make sure the place would be open to public on that data. I will call her tomorrow - if it looks all good, then I will go ahead and post an invitation on this forum.
nyinvestor718

Post by nyinvestor718 »

Count me in!!
Judge Learned Hand: "Any one may so arrange his affairs that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which will best pay the Treasury".
itsf8

Post by itsf8 »

I'm also in for the NYC chapter. Sony Plaza sounds ideal or the NYPL. If nothing crops up for the first meeting, I may be able to get a room at work @ 119th St & 3rd Avenue.
Quidnam

Post by Quidnam »

Please count me in for the chapter and the meeting.
EarlyAndOften

Post by EarlyAndOften »

Hello all,
Also interested in attending NYC Chapter. Curious if any closer to choosing a date/time/place.
-I work in midtown, so recent suggestions sound fine so far.

Maybe consider Food Court on lower level of Grand Central Terminal? Public seating with wide range of decent inexpensive food.
-Individuals can arrive/depart easily at his/her leisure, as well as drink or not drink.
-The space is entirely public but not so loud once sitting together, assuming our group can find a size-appropriate area.

There's also a very quiet uncrowded Chinese restaurant on 47th or 48th between Madison & 5th.

Thoughts?
Thanks
avram53

Post by avram53 »

I once ran a meeting in the food court at Grand Central Station,
but found it to be too noisy, mostly, and with unpredictable seating
for a group of 10 or more people. Though I liked the convenient food options.

After that experience, I did find a local deli near Grand Central station with an upstairs dining room that was
relatively large and quiet, and ran one meeting there. Unfortunately, I have lost
the name and number for that location.

Best,
Ave
(Life is good, appreciate every day! Simplicity in investing works for me.)
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

I would like to attend the NYC chapter.Manhattan would be good.I take the PATH train to the city often. Thanks
Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

Bogleheads NYC - Invitation for a meetup.

Date - Thursday, June 13th, 2013.
Time - 6:00pm to 9:00pm.
Venue - Sony Atrium, 550 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10022. http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/priv/590mad.shtml
Post Meetup Event (Optional) - Lets have a drink @ monkeybar - http://monkeybarnewyork.com/ (60 East 54th Street New York, NY 10022).
Confirmation - Can you please send me an email (bogleheadnyc@gmail.com) to confirm if you would be attending?
Several bogleheads have already emailed me. I would be compiling all the addresses to form a email group.

Agenda -
(1). Meet, Greet & Network. Introduce yourself with your Boglehead story - "What made you a passive investor?"
(2). Tremendous enthusiasm has been shown by New York Bogleheads. More than 20 people have expressed interest in joining a meetup. Depending upon the turnout, we will see if we can split into sub-groups - ideally of size ~10.
shawcroft

The New York City Local Chapter established

Post by shawcroft »

If you folks can stand being "invaded" by someone from Connecticut, I should be able to get to the latter half of the meeting. I find I now have a late afternoon-early dinner meeting in NYC and should be able to stop by around 7-7:30 PM ( unless you lock the doors when you see me :shock:
Shawcroft
NoRisk

Post by NoRisk »

Hi,

I would love to attend NYC chapter, if there is still space!
Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

@NoRisk

Please email me at bogleheadNYC@gmail.com to confirm if you are attending. I will add you to the master mailing list. We will most likely split into smaller groups for future meetings - so please do show up :)
AllySK

Post by AllySK »

Hm, looks like there will be severe thunderstorms Thursday night. Maybe the meetup should be pushed back?
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

AllySK wrote:Hm, looks like there will be severe thunderstorms Thursday night. Maybe the meetup should be pushed back?
Yes, that would be good IMO. I am coming in by public transportation from New Jersey requiring NJ Transit plus the subway (or walking) from Penn Station. With that type of storm projected, I must reluctantly pass as I've experienced too many weather-related disasters with those types of commutes. If it does go on, have a great time and I hope to join next time.
swaption

Post by swaption »

AllySK wrote:Hm, looks like there will be severe thunderstorms Thursday night. Maybe the meetup should be pushed back?
Funny, my conflicting plan just got cancelled due to the rain, so as a result I may be able to make it. Given public transport, NYC is actually a very weather tolerant place. Given the level of interest, I would advocate moving ahead, understanding there would likely be future meetings for those that can't make it.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Given the weather forecast and some other issues, I'm going to pass on tomorrow's inguaral meeting.
Have fun!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

Given that there will be thunderstorms tomorrow evening, should we cancel and postpone the meetup? If more than 5 people pass, I will reschedule.

Also let me know if you would be interested in post meetup drink at monkeybar (or any other nearby bar).

Lastly, I visited the Atrium today - It looks like a perfect venue for our meetups. It was fairly empty (I visited it around 7pm). It is open until 11pm.
Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

We will be meeting this evening!
schuyler74

Post by schuyler74 »

quanuec wrote:We will be meeting this evening!
Well??? How did it go? We've all been on the edge of our seats with anticipation! :)

Actually, I am a bit interested to see how something like this actually played out. Did people show up? Everyone hit it off or was it awkward? Any wedding bells? What'd you all talk about?

Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

I think things went really well. Here are some highlights -

(1): 16 people turned up. 4 members had to pass on this one because of the weather.
(2): We kicked off with around 8 members introducing themselves. Members (as when they arrived), started by introducing themselves.
(3): Post introductions, members posed their individual questions and the group discussed solutions with them. We are fortunate to have very knowledgeable (and professional) investors in this group who happen to be super friendly as well. I took away a lot of positives from this experience and would be applying the tips to my portfolio in coming few weeks.
(4): We had general discussions about rising interest rates, investing in commodities, investing in real estate, tackling inheritance, mortgage related issues, etc.
(5): I arrived around 5:55 pm. The first member arrived around 6:20 pm. We concluded around 9:15 pm.

There were some negatives:
(1): Due to the larger than expected turnout, a few members could not participate much since the seating arrangement was skewed with "members with answers" concentrated on one end, and "members with questions" all over. As such discussions skewed to the area around "members with answers". WE WILL FIX THIS IN THE NEXT MEETUP.

Moving Forward
(1): We will meet once in 2 months.
(2): We will alternate between Thursday evening meetups and Saturday afternoon meetups.
(3): Thursday meetup will start at 6:45 pm. Saturday sessions would start around 11 am.
(4): The next meetup will happen around August first week.
(5): We will set a topic/theme for every meetup. I will be compiling an initial list and members can help me edit and fine tune it. Every meetup, we will spend some time having a deep discussion on the topic, thereby educating ourselves. The bulk of the time will be spent on individual questions and answers.

(1): For those who attended, what did you like? What did you not like? How could it have been better? What topics would you to be educated about? - Please let me know (either email me personally or send your suggestions to the mailing list, or just post it here!)

THANK YOU ALL FOR ATTENDING!
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

Wow. It sounds like it was great. I can't imagine another group having 16 at the first meeting. I suspect this group will get too big to handle soon (I say that in a positive way) and will require some type of sub-division as Manhattan is good for people who live in the city, work in the city and who live and work all around it. And as often happens, the 100% probability of severe weather storms ended up being a non-event.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

quanuec wrote:I think things went really well. Here are some highlights -

(1): 16 people turned up. 4 members had to pass on this one because of the weather.
(2): We kicked off with around 8 members introducing themselves. Members (as when they arrived), started by introducing themselves.
(3): Post introductions, members posed their individual questions and the group discussed solutions with them. We are fortunate to have very knowledgeable (and professional) investors in this group who happen to be super friendly as well. I took away a lot of positives from this experience and would be applying the tips to my portfolio in coming few weeks.
(4): We had general discussions about rising interest rates, investing in commodities, investing in real estate, tackling inheritance, mortgage related issues, etc.
(5): I arrived around 5:55 pm. The first member arrived around 6:20 pm. We concluded around 9:15 pm.

There were some negatives:
(1): Due to the larger than expected turnout, a few members could not participate much since the seating arrangement was skewed with "members with answers" concentrated on one end, and "members with questions" all over. As such discussions skewed to the area around "members with answers". WE WILL FIX THIS IN THE NEXT MEETUP.

Moving Forward
(2): We will alternate between Thursday evening meetups and Saturday afternoon meetups.
(3): Thursday meetup will start at 6:45 pm. Saturday sessions would start around 11 am.
(5): We will set a topic/theme for every meetup. I will be compiling an initial list and members can help me edit and fine tune it. Every meetup, we will spend some time having a deep discussion on the topic, thereby educating ourselves. The bulk of the time will be spent on individual questions and answers.

(1): For those who attended, what did you like? What did you not like? How could it have been better? What topics would you to be educated about? - Please let me know (either email me personally or send your suggestions to the mailing list, or just post it here!)

THANK YOU ALL FOR ATTENDING!
Wish I could have made it glad it went well! Was busy with my apartment hunt.

Hoping the next meeting is not on 8/3 which will be the first saturday in August as I'm scheduled to take the GMAT!
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

With the Bogleheads invading Manhattan, I worry about the future of the financial industry.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Nahum

Post by Nahum »

I would like to thank quanuec for setting up this meetup. It was informative and it was a pleasure meeting other bogleheads.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I am sorry I could not attend. My client got held up by the rain. We finally finished at almost 8:30, instead of 4:30/5:00 that was expected. I hope to attend the next one.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

VictoriaF wrote:With the Bogleheads invading Manhattan, I worry about the future of the financial industry.
There were a lot of people from the finance industry at the meeting; meeting in the evening made it easy for people who work in the city to attend, but less convenient for people who work in the suburbs. This is the reason we wanted to alternate between weeknights and weekends.
Wiki David Grabiner
truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 »

quanuec wrote:
Moving Forward
This sounds great. I will keep my eyes open for forum posts regarding the August meeting, but by all means add me to the list of NYC based Bogleheads looking to be an active member of this chapter.
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Sorry I had to miss this one.I plan on being at the August one.Please put my name on the list.Thanks.
Bearcub
AllySK

Post by AllySK »

Sounds like it went great! Wish I could've made it.
ssquared87 wrote: Wish I could have made it glad it went well! Was busy with my apartment hunt.

Hoping the next meeting is not on 8/3 which will be the first saturday in August as I'm scheduled to take the GMAT!
I also can't make 8/3 - will be out of town that weekend and the previous one. :oops:
Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

8/3 isn't final yet. Lets keep 8/3 or 8/10 - and decide for sure by July last week.
donecc

Post by donecc »

from don eremin on roosevelt island. My wife and I have attended Boglehead westchester meetings and rare interested in meetings in new york city..manhattan preferably.
Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

I have started a new thread for a list of topics for NYC meetups. Request for comments - http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 9&t=118558
n171n

Post by n171n »

Sorry I missed the last one, but plan to be at the August meeting provided it is on a weekday (Thursday @6:45pm i think?)

I live in PA, but am in NYC daily for work so Saturday meetings wouldn't work for me.
Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

We will alternate between weekends and weekday meetups. Next meetup will be on a weekend (saturday). The October meetup will happen on a weekday (Thursday 6:45pm).
Pearl27

Post by Pearl27 »

Hi, I'm a new Boglehead member and I'm interested in joining the NYC chapter. I'm getting more serious about personal finance, so I want to meet others doing the same and learn more about investing and finance. Is it possible I can join this chapter? Thanks!
Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

Pearl27 - write to me at bogleheadnyc@gmail.com and I will add you to the group. we are meeting on August 17th...check out for an email from me soon..
Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

Bogleheads!

Next meetup is a week away! I am super excited to meet you all :)

Date: August 17th, 2013.
Time: 12:30pm to 4:30pm.
Venue:Sony Atrium - 550 Madison Ave New York, 10022

I have taken the liberty to set up the agenda for this meetup. Please let me know if you would like to add or omit anything here.

Agenda -

1: Meet, greet, introduce, & network.

2: There are some members who are extremely knowledgeable - I like to call them "members with answers". To make sure we all benefit from their wisdom, this time we will split up into two or three sub-groups of 6 members after the meet & greet and have them lead these sub-groups. I need volunteers for this (i.e. member with answers) - please email me if you would like to participate in this capacity!

3: As discussed last time, we will have a theme subject for this meetup. We will have deep discussion on the subject! This week's topic will be -
"Affect of IR on bonds & bond funds"
(i): What are bonds? What are the different types of bonds?
(ii): What are the different types of risks associated with investing in bonds?
(iii): What is meant by interest rate risk? Can we measure the interest rate risk of bonds? If yes, what information should we look for in bond prospectus?
(iv): What relationship does IR have with time to maturity for a bond? How does IR affect a bond versus a bond fund?
(v): Practical examples - What bonds funds are available via Vanguard? What are the IR risks for these funds? My IPS says X, and I am holding bond fund F - Am I on the right track?

4: We will spend around 30 to 40 minutes discussing the above question. The bulk of the time will be spent in discussing individual member questions.
Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

Minutes of the meeting - October 24th 2012, @Sony Atrium, NYC.

We had another exciting meeting this Thursday. Around 14 members showed up. Discussions ranged from merits of NYC munis, 401k/IRA & bankruptcy + litigation, net worth calculations [accounting principles], investment motivation in home markets, I-bonds [what, why, use, and how to invest an additional 5k], backdoor roth, pros & cons of buying property in NYC/NJ, pros & cons of maintaining a car in NYC, permanent portfolio, motivations for becoming a boglehead, ETFs versus mutual funds........... It might be worthwhile to compile a list of FAQs at sometime [any volunteers ???].

A member shared some great facts about buying real estate in NYC city. This was the book he suggested in the meetup [Thanks for emailing me this information]:
"The New York Co-Op Bible" Everything you need to know about co-ops and condos: Getting In, Staying In, Surviving and Thriving.
By Sylvia Shapiro
ISBN: 0-312-34075-3

Thanks a lot for attending this Thursday's meetup. Those who could not make it, I hope to see you at the next meetup.

We will meet again on a Saturday around 3pm in December [14, 21, or 28]. Let me know if these dates work for you. We will have a theme for this meetup. I was thinking of doing a deep down discussion around taxes & investments. If there is enough interest in this topic, I will sketch a discussion outline and request some of our members to show us the light!

Please let me know if you have any feedback and suggestions to improve. Have a great weekend!
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

Put my name on the list for the next meeting. I was in Las Vegas / Utah for the October 24th; but would love to attend the next one.
Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

Rob, are you in the NYC mailing list? If not, please write to me at : bogleheadnyc@gmail.com and I will add you to the group.
Topic Author
quanuec

Post by quanuec »

Bogleheads!

Date: December 21st, 2013.
Time: 2:30pm to 5:30pm.
Venue:Sony Atrium - 550 Madison Ave New York, 10022
Theme - Taxes & Your Investments.

Many thanks to a fellow member for providing the following template for discussion. We will use this to drive our discussion!

1.)How best to invest amongst non-taxable vs. taxable vs. tax-deferred accounts. If your asset allocation is 80/20, how should one invest that tax-efficiently if one is looking at his investments as one entity. - I think that this topic is in the Bogleheads wiki but it would be good to have a discussion on this.
2.) We can also get into an explanation of the Foreign tax credit since it is recommended that international be invested in taxable.
3.)Tax-Lost Harvesting/Wash Sale rule
4.)Re-investments of dividends based on tax rules.
5.)ACA - taxes.