Master Thread for Portland, Oregon

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
ABQ4804

Re: Master Thread for Portland, Oregon

Post by ABQ4804 »

Receiving some good RSVPs by PM and emails - thanks! Newcomers are welcome, no financial expertise required!
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Not too late to plan to join us - see you tomorrow, 6:30pm Lucky Lab Brew Pub on SE Hawthorne.
sullivad

Post by sullivad »

plan on attending in september
RyeWhiskey

Post by RyeWhiskey »

When is the next meeting, and do we have a location?
This post was brought to you by Vanguard Total World Stock Index (VTWSX/VT).
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Next meeting is Tuesday, September 13, 6:30 PM. Ling Garden is still closed for remodeling, so we still need an alternate location to meet. Suggestions welcome! I will post a reminder of the meeting and location about 10 days prior.
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Next meeting is Tuesday, Sept. 13, 6:30pm in SE Portland. NEW LOCATION: Carmella's Wines, 1320 SE Water Avenue, Portland 97214. About 1/2 mile north of OMSI, north of the Hawthorne Bridge, between SE Main and Madison Streets.

I stopped by Carmella's as suggested by one of our members, and confirmed it is a good meeting place, separate fireplace room, relatively quiet, parking available, and they regularly host informal meetings and book groups. Fine wines, beer and soft drinks and some delicious sounding "small plates" but not regular brewpub meals. Please RSVP if you are coming, so I can let Carmella's know and they can be properly staffed. Also let me know if you have a specific financial topic you would like to discuss. See you there!
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Update: we will be in the "Farm Table" room at Carmella's, as another larger group will be in the fireplace room. Please join us Tuesday evening!
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

We meet again next Tuesday, December 13, 6:30pm in SE Portland. NEW LOCATION: Carmella's Wines, 1320 SE Water Avenue, Portland 97214. About 1/2 mile north of OMSI, north of the Hawthorne Bridge, between SE Main and Madison Streets (Same location as our September meeting was.)

Ask or look for the "Boglehead book group;" we will probably be in a corner of the fireplace room. Carmella's is a good meeting place, both a bar area and separate fireplace room, relatively quiet, parking lot, and they regularly host informal meetings and book groups. Fine wines, beer and soft drinks and some delicious sounding "small plates" but not regular brewpub meals. Please RSVP if you are coming, so I can let Carmella's know and they can be properly staffed. Also let me know if you have a specific financial topic you would like to discuss. See you there!

Note that we are also looking for someone to rotate in as local chapter coordinator, replacing me, for 2017. Easy job, just sending emails announcing the quarterly meetings, and I can share the current email list. Plan speakers/topics as you like. Great leadership opportunity to put on your resume :beer
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

One discussion topic will be our "Final Letter of Instruction" for when we are incapacitated or die. I will bring copies of Taylor Larimore's list, that he shared on this forum in September.

We also have some Vanguard bling and Bogle books as party favors tomorrow night. You are welcome to bring any personal finance books you'd like to exchange. Thanks for the RSVPs - see you at Carmella's tomorrow evening!
nwffdiver

Post by nwffdiver »

HI, don't know how I never noticed this Portland group after about 5 years on this site. I would like to be added, or attend some local meetings. I live in Oregon City.
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Welcome, nwffdiver! Please send me a PM with your direct email and I will add you to the mailing list. A new chapter coordinator has volunteered to rotate in, and will organize our next meeting in March.
CynthiaCPdx

Post by CynthiaCPdx »

Yes, my husband and I have volunteered to coordinate this year and are hoping to provide a speaker. See you in March.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

CynthiaCPdx wrote:Yes, my husband and I have volunteered to coordinate this year and are hoping to provide a speaker. See you in March.

This is to officially confirm that Cynthia and her husband are the new coordinators for the Portland Local Chapter.

The new contact email address is pdxbogleheads@gmail.com (note the "gmail.com" as opposed to the old "yahoo.com). I've added the new contact info to the Local Chapters Map so others can find and contact you.

Continued success and good luck to the PDX Bogleheads.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
TinkerPDX

Post by TinkerPDX »

CynthiaCPdx wrote:Yes, my husband and I have volunteered to coordinate this year and are hoping to provide a speaker. See you in March.
Thanks for taking it on Cynthia. Hoping I can make it to one of these gatherings soon!
pdxbogleheads

Post by pdxbogleheads »

The mailing list for the Portland Bogleheads chapter has been migrated to a Google groups email list. If you are subscribed, you should have just received a test message. If you did not receive a test message, and would like to receive announcements by email, please either send a PM to pdxbogleheads or send an email pdxbogleheads@gmail.com.

An announcement for the upcoming March 14 meeting is forthcoming.
pdxbogleheads

Post by pdxbogleheads »

The spring 2017 Portland Bogleheads group meeting is Tuesday March 14. Unfortunately, our previous meeting site, Carmella's Wine Bar is now operating as an event space and can only be scheduled for a fee. Please note the NEW LOCATION we will use for this meeting.

DeNicola's Italian Restaurant
3520 SE Powell Blvd.
Portland 97202

March 14, 2017
6:30pm

We have a separate room reserved. Please RSVP by sending an email to pdxbogleheads@gmail.com, or by sending a PM to Bogleheads user PDXBogleheads so we can provide a count of attendees to the restaurant.

On Tuesdays, DeNicola's has a spaghetti special for $8.95 or many other options on their extensive menu. An 18% gratuity will be added to all bills.

If the location works well, we can continue to use it for our meetings, or we can discuss options at the meeting.

We would like to have formal presentations at these meetings, either with a guest speaker or a member agreeing to present on a topic. We can select topics of interest at each meeting. Since this is not possible for the first presentation, boglehead member Jalbert will present the article:

Equity Portfolio Diversification: How Many Stocks are Enough? Evidence from Five Developed Markets

by: Vitali Alexeev (University of Tasmania) and Francis Tapon (University of Guelph)

http://eprints.utas.edu.au/17313/1/2013 ... cation.pdf

Most investors from time to time encounter the belief that they have an insight about some particular stock, or may be encouraged by a stock broker to hold a small portfolio of stocks. The cited article shows that when the appropriate risk measures are used, portfolios of individual stocks need to be larger than previously thought to mitigate diversifiable risks adequately, making it challenging for individual investors to hold portfolios of individual stocks without taking uncompensated risks. In the presentation, we will discuss the types of risks that are unique to holding individual stocks, and how index funds and other broadly diversified mutual funds avoid these risks.

Although the paper is fairly technical, the results are straightforward, and the presentation will be designed to be non-technical and accessible.

Again, please RSVP by sending an email to pdxbogleheads@gmail.com, or by sending a PM to Bogleheads user PDXBogleheads.

We hope to see you there.
pdxbogleheads

Post by pdxbogleheads »

March 14, 2017 meeting announcement updated
earlyout

Re: Master Thread for Portland, Oregon / Feedback on Advisors

Post by earlyout »

Portland BHs -

A friend recently moved to Portland and is looking for an advisor to help him rearrange his investments. I'm trying to help him and I was able to find two firms in Portland listed in Garrett. What feedback/experiences can you provide regarding New Outlook Financial and/or Koch financial. PM's would be welcome or post here.

Thanks very much.
pdxbogleheads

Post by pdxbogleheads »

The summer 2017 Portland Bogleheads group meeting is scheduled for June 13, to be held at:

3520 SE Powell Blvd.
Portland 97202
June 13, 2017

We have a separate room reserved. On Tuesdays, DeNicola's has a spaghetti special for $8.95 or many other options, including vegetarian and vegan choices, on their extensive menu. An 18% gratuity will be added to all bills.

Boglehead user Middle will give a presentation at the meeting:

Could index Fund Investing Become too Big for its Own Good?

Recent market commentary has had plenty to say about the growth of index fund investing and the possibilities of market inefficiencies and mis-pricing of securities. This presentation aims to identify what portion of the market index investing currently constitutes, some of the risks claimed by further growth of index investing, and whether they would motivate a change in investment approach by the individual investor.

References (the latter two require registration with ft.com):

https://corporate.morningstar.com/US/do ... an2017.pdf

https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2016/08/24/ ... roaches-1/

https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2017/04/25/ ... e-edition/

Please RSVP by sending an email to pdxbogleheads@gmail.com, or by sending a PM to Bogleheads user PDXBogleheads so we can provide an estimated count of attendees to the restaurant.

pdxbogleheads

September 2017 Portland Meeting

Post by pdxbogleheads »

The September 2017 Portland Bogleheads group meeting is scheduled for Tuesday September 12, to be held at:

3520 SE Powell Blvd.
Portland 97202
September 12, 2017

We have a separate room reserved. On Tuesdays, DeNicola's has a spaghetti special for $8.95 or many other options (including vegetarian and vegan choices) on their extensive menu. An 18% gratuity will be added to all bills.

There is no speaker for the September meeting. We will have a roundtable discussion. If you have a topic of
interest, send it with your RSVP, and we will give the communicated topics priority for discussion.

If you plan to attend, please RSVP by sending an email to pdxbogleheads@gmail.com, or by sending a PM to Bogleheads
user PDXBogleheads so that we can provide an estimated count of attendees to the restaurant.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Are you ever coming back to NW Portland?
Gordon
aj76er

Post by aj76er »

gkaplan wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:08 pm Are you ever coming back to NW Portland?
I would be happy with a NW portland location as well :)
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

I checked Ling Garden website and they reopen in December, so may be possibility for future 2018 meetings - and no 18% gratuity added to our meal bills. We liked meeting at Ling Garden also. Maybe alternate from SE to NW? as we had 60+ on the PDX Bogleheads mailing list and could reach more people 😊. Let new chapter facilitator know (not me any more!) - new email contact in this thread.
Last edited by ABQ4804 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdxbogleheads

Post by pdxbogleheads »

After Ling Garden closed for rebuilding, it was not easy to find a stable, workable location. If a preferable location that can accommodate the group can be identified, meeting at DeNicola's is by no means cast in stone. Driving by the Ling Garden site and viewing the progress does not inspire confidence that it will be open in time for the December meeting, and we would have to schedule a few weeks before that to organize the meeting.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Is there a Clark County/SW WA group, or do they attend the PDX gatherings?
pdxbogleheads

Post by pdxbogleheads »

Boglehead participants who reside in SW Washington have attended in the past, including recent meetings, and are always welcomed. The constraint is how far a Boglehead participant would like to travel for a meeting, not a constraint of the group.
pdxbogleheads

Post by pdxbogleheads »

The December 2017 Portland Bogleheads group meeting is scheduled for Tuesday December 12, to be held at:

3520 SE Powell Blvd.
Portland 97202
December 12, 2017

We have a separate room reserved. On Tuesdays, DeNicola's has a spaghetti special for $8.95,
or many other options (including vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free choices) on their extensive
menu. An 18% gratuity will be added to all bills.

There is no speaker for the December meeting. We will have an informal, roundtable discussion.

If you plan to attend, please RSVP by sending an email to pdxbogleheads@gmail.com, or by sending a PM
to Bogleheads user PDXBogleheads so that we can provide an estimated count of attendees to the restaurant.

pdxbogleheads

Post by pdxbogleheads »

The March 2018 Portland Bogleheads group meeting is scheduled for Tuesday March 13, to be held at:

3520 SE Powell Blvd.
Portland 97202
March 13, 2018

We have a separate banquet room reserved. DeNicola's has an extensive menu (including vegetarian and vegan choices) with dinners starting at $8.99. An 18% gratuity will be added to all bills when the banquet room is used.

There is no speaker for the March meeting. We will have a roundtable discussion.

If you plan to attend, please RSVP by sending an email to pdxbogleheads@gmail.com, or by sending a PM to Bogleheads
user PDXBogleheads so that we can provide an estimated count of attendees to the restaurant.

pdxbogleheads

Post by pdxbogleheads »

Reminder of meeting tomorrow (info above).
Munir

Post by Munir »

pdxbogleheads wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:57 pm Reminder of meeting tomorrow (info above).
How did the meeting go? Can someone provide a concise summary of what was discussed and how many people usually attend? Thanks.
pdxbogleheads

Post by pdxbogleheads »

11 people attended and participated in informal discussions.
redhotlama

Post by redhotlama »

I hope to make it out to one of these someday. Wife is out of town this week, maybe next time.
rynlee

Post by rynlee »

Hello, new to this forum and thread.

Will there be a meeting in April?
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Welcome, rynlee! Meetings are quarterly, 2nd Tuesdays of March, June, Sept and December. So pencil in June, and the member who organizes will post the announcement in this thread. I’ve learned some nugget of financial strategy at each meeting. Sometimes there is a presentation, and our routine is to go around the table and allow each person to ask for feedback on one question, if they desire. Hope to see you next time!
Ruger

Post by Ruger »

Hi, just found out about these meetings. Although I don't live in Portland, I'm near enough that I don't mind the drive.
Looking forward to coming to the next meeting.
pdxbogleheads

Post by pdxbogleheads »

The June 2018 Portland Bogleheads group meeting is scheduled for Tuesday June 12, 2018, to be held at:

3520 SE Powell Blvd.
Portland 97202
June 12, 2018

We have a separate banquet room reserved. DeNicola's has an extensive menu (including numerous vegetarian and vegan choices) with dinners starting at $8.99. An 18% gratuity will be added to all bills when the banquet room is used.

There is no speaker for the June meeting. We will have a roundtable discussion.

nwffdiver

Post by nwffdiver »

I would be interested in attending meeting as well. I will get you my email.

Thx,
Brad
mikeyzito22

Post by mikeyzito22 »

Hello,

It has been three or four years since a Portland thread has been added. Is there anyway to get in touch with Bogleheads in Portland, OR?
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Mikey, this thread is current - read the Portland meeting schedule 4 posts above yours.
pdxbogleheads

Post by pdxbogleheads »

The September 2018 Portland Bogleheads group meeting is scheduled for Tuesday September 11, 2018, to be held at:

3520 SE Powell Blvd.
Portland 97202
September 11, 2018

We have a separate banquet room reserved. DeNicola's has an extensive menu (including vegetarian and vegan choices) with dinner starting at $8.99. A 20% gratuity will be added to all bills when the banquet room is used.

There is no speaker for the September meeting. We will have a roundtable discussion.

pdxbogleheads

Post by pdxbogleheads »

Reminder to RSVP by Monday at 5pm if you plan to attend the Sept. 11 Portland Bogleheads meeting. Additional information about the meeting is in the previous posting.
aj76er

Post by aj76er »

Thanks to all who attended last night for the interesting discussion :).

As promised, here are the links to a study done by forum member Saimond that examines U.S./International stock split. It was greatly influential in determining my own asset allocation.

https://finpage.blog/2017/03/18/investi ... rld-part-1
https://finpage.blog/2017/03/25/investi ... rld-part-2
https://finpage.blog/2017/03/25/investi ... rld-part-3

For those interested in tracking global cap weight, Vanguard offers the Vanguard Total World Stock Index mutual fund VTWSX and an ETF equivalent VT.

For those wanting to track global market cap weight using two funds such as the U.S. Total Stock Market fund (VTSAX) and the Total International Stock market fund (VTIAX), then the easiest way is to go to the following page on Vanguard's site:

https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/profile/portfolio/vt

Then scroll down to the "Market Allocation" table near the bottom, and the U.S. percentage is the first entry of the table. Then take 1 minus this number to get the International percentage. As of as of 07/31/2018, one would hold:
53.6% VTSAX
46.4% VTIAX
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
pdxbogleheads

Post by pdxbogleheads »

The December 2018 Portland Bogleheads group meeting is scheduled for Tuesday December 11, 2018, to be held at:

3520 SE Powell Blvd.
Portland 97202
December 11, 2018

We have a separate banquet room reserved. DeNicola's has an extensive menu (including vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free choices) with dinner starting at $8.99. A 20% gratuity will be added to all bills when the banquet room is used.

user pdxbogleheads so that we can provide an estimated count of attendees to the restaurant.

pdxbogleheads

Post by pdxbogleheads »

The March 2019 Portland Bogleheads group meeting is scheduled for Tuesday March 12, 2019, to be held at:

3520 SE Powell Blvd.
Portland 97202
March 12, 2019

We have a separate banquet room reserved. DeNicola's has an extensive menu (including vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free choices) with dinner starting at $8.99. A 20% gratuity will be added to all bills when the banquet room is used.

user pdxbogleheads so that we can provide an estimated count of attendees to the restaurant.

pdxbogleheads

Post by pdxbogleheads »

Deleted
Last edited by pdxbogleheads on Mon May 27, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Deleted
pdxbogleheads

Post by pdxbogleheads »

The June 2019 Portland Bogleheads group meeting is scheduled for Tuesday June 11, 2019, to be held at:

3520 SE Powell Blvd.
Portland, OR 97202
June 11, 2019

We have a separate banquet room reserved, which will be used if the group is large enough. DeNicola's has an extensive menu (including vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free choices) with dinner starting at $8.99. A 20% gratuity will be added to all bills when the banquet room is used.

If you plan to attend, please RSVP by 7pm Monday by sending an email to pdxbogleheads@gmail.com, or by sending a PM to Bogleheads

We also maintain an email list of Portland Bogleheads participants, and announce the quarterly meetings via email to the list members. If you would like to be added to the email distribution list, please send a note to pdxbogleheads@gmail.com.

We hope to see you at the meeting.
pdxbogleheads

Post by pdxbogleheads »

Change in location for September Portland Bogleheads Chapter meeting.

We have been meeting at DeNicola’s Restaurant in SE Powell. They now have minimums on number of people and minimum purchase per person to reserve the separate room. Moreover, the group has been seated at a regular table (not in the private room) at recent meetings. There also has been interest expressed in a possible change to the west side for meetings.

When the September meeting is announced, you will notice a change in location to the Spaghetti Factory at 715 SW Bancroft St, Portland, OR 97239. This is centrally located right off SW Macadam, very close to I-5, the end of the N-S streetcar line, and Trimet bus 35.

We can try this location for Sept and then decide how well it worked out.
pdxbogleheads

Post by pdxbogleheads »

The September 2019 Portland Bogleheads chapter meeting is scheduled for Tuesday Sept. 10, 2019, to be held at:

Old Spaghetti Factory
715 SW Bancroft St.
Portland, OR 97239
September 10, 2019

If you plan to attend, please RSVP by 7pm Monday September 9 by sending an email to pdxbogleheads@gmail.com, or by sending a PM to Bogleheads user pdxbogleheads so that we can provide an estimated count of attendees to the restaurant.

We also maintain an email list of Portland Bogleheads participants, and announce the quarterly meetings via email to the list members. If you would like to be added to the email distribution list, please send a note to pdxbogleheads@gmail.com.

pdxbogleheads

Post by pdxbogleheads »

Please note the last minute change of meeting location.

The December 2019 Portland Bogleheads chapter meeting is scheduled for Tuesday December 10, 2019, to be held at:

3520 SE Powell Blvd.
Portland, OR 97202
December 10, 2019

If you plan to attend, please RSVP by 7pm Monday December 9 by sending an email to pdxbogleheads@gmail.com, or by sending a PM to Bogleheads user pdxbogleheads so that we can provide an estimated count of attendees to the restaurant.