Houston Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Kircheis

Houston Chapter

Post by Kircheis »

Hi,

I recently joined the forum. Is the Houston Chapter still meeting on a regular basis?
OneWorld111

Re: Houston Chapter

Post by OneWorld111 »

Even I was interested if Houston chapter has any meetings? Would be happy to volunteer..

Energy0817
Risk seeker

Post by Risk seeker »

A Houston chapter would be great. Let's meet at BlackFinn at 2 pm on Sunday, April 7. Who's in?
wacobay

Post by wacobay »

I'm a long time Houstonian and a great admirer of the Bogleheads. I must not get around much though; where exactly is BlackFinn? :happy
Risk seeker

Post by Risk seeker »

BlackFinn is near the center of the city. It's just off Bagby near the intersection of Bagby and Gray. It's easy to get to from I-10 and I-45. There should be nearby street parking on a Sunday. There are four rooms in BlackFinn. The quiet bar to the right after you enter would be a good meeting spot.
HTownCowboy

Post by HTownCowboy »

Apparently the Houston chapter no longer meets.

I would be very interested in starting a new chapter if others are of a like mind
drspaz

Post by drspaz »

Darn it, I'm leaving town on Saturday . I will make the next one though
Dr Spaz
OneWorld111

Post by OneWorld111 »

I can meet on Sunday...

energy2025
Licid9

Post by Licid9 »

Was there a turnout for the meeting and is it worthwhile to "schedule" another one? I'm in North Houston and just discovered Bogleheads.
mbenz1997

Post by mbenz1997 »

I too am relatively new to the forum, live in Houston, and am interested in meeting up as well :sharebeer
geekgyrl

Post by geekgyrl »

Happy holidays all.

I was curious if any of the Houston folks were interested in scheduling another meetup in 2014? I see that there ¿was? a meetup last Apr. Just thought it might be interesting to do it again. Any thoughts?

Regards :happy
Risk seeker

Post by Risk seeker »

geekgyrl,

Meeting in Houston is a great idea. Unfortunately the meeting last April never came to fruition. The only feedback I received was a question about the address of the restaurant (this can be Googled).

When I lived in the DC area there was a sizable Bogleheads group that met on certain Sunday afternoons in the back corner of a centrally located restaurant. We should follow this model. For example, we could meet at BlackFinn in the quiet room to the right at 2 pm on Sunday, January 5 or January 12. How do these dates work for you?

Happy holidays.
geekgyrl

Post by geekgyrl »

Risk seeker wrote:When I lived in the DC area there was a sizable Bogleheads group that met on certain Sunday afternoons in the back corner of a centrally located restaurant. We should follow this model. For example, we could meet at BlackFinn in the quiet room to the right at 2 pm on Sunday, January 5 or January 12. How do these dates work for you?

Happy holidays.
I'm up for either date. It'll be my first time doing something like this, so game on! Anyone else interested?
simple man

Post by simple man »

Yes. I am. I have always wanted to go to one of the conferences, but think a Houston chapter meeting would be a great start. I can make either date. Just let me know.
Allan

Post by Allan »

I attended the first meeting or 2 a few years ago. 2pm Jan 5 or 12, same as NFL playoff football games? I am in central Houston near Memorial Park, location is another factor. Houston is so large I doubt any location will work for everyone.

Allan
Risk seeker

Post by Risk seeker »

Let's meet for lunch at BlackFinn at noon on January 5. This earlier time will help us minimize any conflicts with the NFL wild card games and we'll feel more comfortable sitting at the restaurant if we are ordering food (the burgers are pretty good). I've made reservations for four people under the pseudonym Paul Douglas. I'm not sure where the restaurant will place me but I'll be wearing a green shirt. If more people join I'll expand the reservation. See you at BlackFinn on January 5 at noon!
simple man

Post by simple man »

I will be there. Thanks for setting up. Will look for green shirt....
Risk seeker

Post by Risk seeker »

simple man, Thank you for confirming. I'm looking forward to tomorrow and hope some others show too.
Risk seeker

Post by Risk seeker »

I'm at the restaurant in the sports bar to the left. Unfortunately the quiet bar was booked but we can move to the back room if it gets too loud. I'm wearing green and have red hair. I basically look like a lucky charm. Don't confuse me with the Packers fans wearing green.
camillus24

Post by camillus24 »

Hi everyone,

I could not make it today but was wondering when the next meeting/time would be.

Interested in meeting Houston bogleheads (especially given my new status on the forum).
numbernine

Post by numbernine »

How was your turnout?
Just found your thread tonight unfortunately...
Allan

Post by Allan »

I had every intention of attending but had a last minute appointment come up to show property. I will keep an eye on this thread and try to attend the next meeting.

Allan
geekgyrl

Post by geekgyrl »

numbernine wrote:How was your turnout?
Just found your thread tonight unfortunately...
three from the forum plus a friend showed up. not a HUGH turnout, but it was quaint. learned something new so that was very cool. hopefully more people can show up next time.
Type2Much

Post by Type2Much »

Any updates with the Houston group?
takingcharge

Post by takingcharge »

Any interest in having a Houston meeting?
natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer »

takingcharge wrote:Any interest in having a Houston meeting?
I'd be game.
slick_dealer_05

Post by slick_dealer_05 »

I went to the Houston chapter meeting 5 years back and was disappointed by meeting other Bogleheads. I don't know how others on this forum go about meeting other cheapstakes in person but I was quite disappointed: folks who enjoy $5 movies, cutting their own hair, and enjoy eating at Lube's. I prefer an online forum rather than meeting a boglehead in person and looking at the mirror...
takingcharge

Post by takingcharge »

slick_dealer_05 wrote:I went to the Houston chapter meeting 5 years back and was disappointed by meeting other Bogleheads. I don't know how others on this forum go about meeting other cheapstakes in person but I was quite disappointed: folks who enjoy $5 movies, cutting their own hair, and enjoy eating at Lube's. I prefer an online forum rather than meeting a boglehead in person and looking at the mirror...
Are you poking fun at others or yourself? Both?
geekgyrl

Post by geekgyrl »

takingcharge wrote:
slick_dealer_05 wrote:I went to the Houston chapter meeting 5 years back and was disappointed by meeting other Bogleheads. I don't know how others on this forum go about meeting other cheapstakes in person but I was quite disappointed: folks who enjoy $5 movies, cutting their own hair, and enjoy eating at Lube's. I prefer an online forum rather than meeting a boglehead in person and looking at the mirror...
Are you poking fun at others or yourself? Both?
hah!

I've been MIA for a bit, but that was something funny. truthfully, I don't see any thing wrong with eating at Luby's. the food is good and cheap. I think that is the best of both worlds. btw, why on earth would you want to overpay just to what... impress a bunch of strangers? yeah, no thanks. this cheapskate has no problems meeting at Luby's or a Barnes and Noble cafe (hey, it's not worth it if I cannot use my membership)!

anyway, thanks for a good laugh five months later :D
natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer »

Lol. How about another meeting?
takingcharge

Post by takingcharge »

I'm still interested.
geekgyrl

Post by geekgyrl »

yup, I'm still interested.
Allan

Post by Allan »

I would try to attend. Hopefully we could meet in a centrally located place.

Allan
woof755

Post by woof755 »

Before I start a new thread with my question, I wonder if there are any Boglehead financial advisors in Houston. My mother in law is nearing retirement. She has been doing some reading and has a question anout annuities.

Anyone know someone who could offer formal professional guidance for her?
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

woof755 wrote:Before I start a new thread with my question, I wonder if there are any Boglehead financial advisors in Houston. My mother in law is nearing retirement. She has been doing some reading and has a question anout annuities.

Anyone know someone who could offer formal professional guidance for her?
You'd probably get more responses if you started a new thread with your question, woof.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
misterno

Post by misterno »

count me as well

work in Galleria live in Sugarland
Last edited by misterno on Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
young danny

Post by young danny »

Count me in too! Greenway Plaza resident here!
BSsaver

Post by BSsaver »

Also live by Greenway, work near Midtown/Montrose. Sounds like a regular meet up is impossible. Ping me for lunch or drinks, I am usually available with few days of advance notice.
young danny

Post by young danny »

Done!
ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat »

Interested in Boglehead Houston. Any activity or folks too spread out to make this happen?
A wise man and his money are friends forever...
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

Hi, interested in meeting up with likeminded folks in Houston. Live in Montrose, work in Spring Branch.

Feel free to inbox. :)
finjour

Post by finjour »

Is the Houston chapter still active?
FPS_dapdap

Post by FPS_dapdap »

finjour wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:57 am Is the Houston chapter still active?
I came here to find out the same thing. Did you get an PMs or anything indicating that the Houston Chapter is still active?
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

Looks like we got at least two other people (via inbox) wanting to restart the Houston chapter…

I guess to give some clear options (Houston can be a logistical challenge traffic wise) thinking of the two options below for Late March / Early April:

1) Weekend brunch/coffee option:
French House (5901 Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX 77057)
They have a decent menu, it's not overly hip or trendy so it helps minimize wait time.

Alt option: Empire Cafe 1732 Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX 77098
Slightly more trendy brunch option, there's occasionally a long line on nice weather days.

2) Workweek happy hour option:
Lowbrow (1601 W Main St, Houston, TX 77006-4711)
Tucked away patio pub next door to the Menil in Montrose/Museum District

Alt option: Richmond Arms (5920 Richmond Ave, Houston, TX 77057)
Might be more centrally located and easier to get to if there's more of a southwest bias to the Houston group.

Let me know which of the options people are leaning to, I'm pretty flexible and open to suggestions so please feel free to suggest alternatives.

I don't know what the protocol is for local meetups so am probably gonna keep this more on the casual meet-and-greet side of the equation.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

French house works for me.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
texasgal47

Post by texasgal47 »

I'm in -- coming from far NE (north of IAH) off I-59 so central Houston location is needed. Lowbrow, near Menil works best for me as it's near 59.
christophertowle

Post by christophertowle »

Jumping in here.... from Cypress. Would like to attend if I can make it work.
texasgal47

Post by texasgal47 »

Anymore takers for a Houston chapter? Thanks
Last edited by texasgal47 on Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 »

This Katy-ite would like to attend, appreciate more info.
umk

Post by umk »

Would like to attend...