Where is the Munchkin Man?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
TonyDAntonio

Re: Missing Munchkin Man

Post by TonyDAntonio »

TonyDAntonio misses the Munchkin Man
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

MM was a character; I miss him also.

There are so many posters that are MIA, gone with the wind. :(

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

I enjoyed the MM postings too, but always wondered if he was someone's creative writing project. :wink:
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

He definitely was a character. I really liked his writing style and the things he would write about even though some hated it. I think we had a pm, I miss the MM.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

He had the best stories. I really miss him. For me liked him as much as the founding members.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Dantes wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:12 pm A question about his whereabouts came up a few years ago. I looked up his posts and ended up reading though all of them, beginning to end. Fascinating.
I recall this! Did he respond?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Bammerman wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:19 am I've been re-reading some of Munchkin Man's posts. I miss the MM! MM, where are you when we really need you? I can't believe it's been 13 years since his first post on Bogleheads. Entertaining, friendly, unusual, good-spirited. And so refreshing to read comments from someone -- unusual here -- who sounded humble. Best wishes to you, MM, wherever you are!
I remember him well and hope he is ok.

Munchkin Man, Lon, LANDY, Default BR user, Phineas Whoopie, Gordon!

A lot of forum posters who are no longer active.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I too miss the little guy. I remember when he got a special dispensation from the moderators to discuss his diet, which normally isn’t allowed.
Here it is:
viewtopic.php?t=112026
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:31 pm I too miss the little guy. I remember when he got a special dispensation from the moderators to discuss his diet, which normally isn’t allowed.
Munchkin Man was into soda or something IIRC. Or maybe I am confusing him for Some Other Man :oops:
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

manatee2005 is looking for the actionable item in this post.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

manatee2005 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:37 pm manatee2005 is looking for the actionable item in this post.
The “actionable item” is to think about how far our forum has grown, the users and posters who have come and gone that impacted other Bogleheads, and to look forward to keeping the investing advice inspired by Jack Bogle growing!
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

abuss368 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:48 pm
manatee2005 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:37 pm manatee2005 is looking for the actionable item in this post.
The “actionable item” is to think about how far our forum has grown, the users and posters who have come and gone that impacted other Bogleheads, and to look forward to keeping the investing advice inspired by Jack Bogle growing!
That's not actionable at all.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

iamblessed wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:42 pm He had the best stories. I really miss him. For me liked him as much as the founding members.
I would agree. Some interesting stories for sure! I enjoyed how he wrote in the 3rd person.
Bammerman

Post by Bammerman »

To me, the "actionable item" is to remember that we're human beings, not just money machines.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Kenkat wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:07 pm One of the things that I have found fascinating about this forum and forums in general is that posters will just up and disappear without any warning or explanation of where they went. Sometimes quite prolific posters. One day they are here, the next day they are gone. I sometimes wonder what happened. Did they switch to a new user name - a fresh start so to speak? Did they just get burned out or lose interest? Did they pass away? (this has occurred on another forum I post on and we’ve sadly lost some great posters - and people - over the years).

I can still remember some who posted going all the way back to the old Morningstar Diehards forum. Munchkin Man was certainly memorable.
A few reasons people stop posting. First, people pass away. Ole Meph was quite the expert on insurance, his posts were excellent. Word leaked out that he had died. Second, a few folks got banned for not following the rules or got into a disagreement with others here and just left. Third, there are people who work in the Financial Industry who post here and will stop for compliance reasons. There was one poster that I liked, he worked in the hedge fund industry and made comments about AQR and Cliff Asness. I noticed that one day he went in and deleted all of his posts. I think people get tired of posting, particularly when you say the same things over and over in different ways. Life is a series of transitions and changes.
A fool and his money are good for business.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

nedsaid wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:18 pm
Kenkat wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:07 pm One of the things that I have found fascinating about this forum and forums in general is that posters will just up and disappear without any warning or explanation of where they went. Sometimes quite prolific posters. One day they are here, the next day they are gone. I sometimes wonder what happened. Did they switch to a new user name - a fresh start so to speak? Did they just get burned out or lose interest? Did they pass away? (this has occurred on another forum I post on and we’ve sadly lost some great posters - and people - over the years).

I can still remember some who posted going all the way back to the old Morningstar Diehards forum. Munchkin Man was certainly memorable.
A few reasons people stop posting. First, people pass away. Ole Meph was quite the expert on insurance, his posts were excellent. Word leaked out that he had died. Second, a few folks got banned for not following the rules or got into a disagreement with others here and just left. Third, there are people who work in the Financial Industry who post here and will stop for compliance reasons. There was one poster that I liked, he worked in the hedge fund industry and made comments about AQR and Cliff Asness. I noticed that one day he went in and deleted all of his posts. I think people get tired of posting, particularly when you say the same things over and over in different ways. Life is a series of transitions and changes.
I suspect many lose interest due to repetition. Even this particular post about Munchkin Man is a duplicate (not sure why the last post on the topic wasn't simply updated). Others lose interest due to the arguments that sometimes ensue.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Where is the Munchkin Man?

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Bammerman's thread into the ongoing discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Gnirk

Re: Where is the Munchkin Man?

Post by Gnirk »

I miss sscritic.