A Space Shuttle on the Streets of Los Angeles

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
JMacDonald

A Space Shuttle on the Streets of Los Angeles

Post by JMacDonald » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:30 pm

The space shuttle, Endeavour, traveled through Los Angeles for three days. This time-lapse video shortens it to about three minutes.
It is a fun video to watch.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap121022.html
Best Wishes, | Joe

harrychan

Re: A Space Shuttle on the Streets of Los Angeles

Post by harrychan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:59 am

I had the privilege to watch a piece of history go through the streets of LA. I normally don't like to take my kids to places where it is cordoned off with lots of crowds but I knew I had to do this so on Sat. morning, observed through a live stream the location of the shuttle and made my way. The crowds were not bad at all and everyone was very civil. We literally came 5-6 feet from the edge of the wing as it came through us. It was a delight. Certainly a once in a lifetime event.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

englishgirl

Post by englishgirl » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:01 am

Great video! Thanks for posting.
Sarah

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:29 pm

It was so poignant and sad I couldn't bear to watch more than about a minute of it. I could only think "funeral procession."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:38 pm

This would normally be off-topic, but the Space Shuttle captures the interest of the general populace. It's also a historic occasion. So, like the Olympics, let's consider this a Boglehead community event and keep this thread going.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Lee Saage

Post by Lee Saage » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:47 pm

Kind of puts me in mind of the scene in Space Cowboys when Hawk shows Sara the SR-71 he flew in the Air Force:
SR-71. This is what an airplane's supposed to be; Ugly on the ground, Leaks like a sieve, And up around mach one, The seals all expand, She dries up, leans into the wind, And flies like a bat out of hell. I took her right to the limit-- 128,000 feet.
Would be nice to see something coming to excite the old space junkies.
Most of my money went to fast cars, fast living and good wine. The rest I just wasted.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:08 pm

It was a bit hard to watch this not knowing what will replace the shuttle program or when, but thanks for posting it.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle