Why do you spend all your time on the Bogleheads forum?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
KlangFool

Re: Why are you wasting time on boglehead forum?

Post by KlangFool »

Dude2 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:30 am
KlangFool wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:31 pm I am still learning the impact of HCE versus non-HCE as per after-tax 401K contribution.

KlangFool
Also want to know all about safe harbor rules. :happy
There are some folks that really know 401K at the forum. Big thanks to all of them.

And, of course, I need to save folks from contributing to Roth 401K.

KlangFool
40% VWENX | 12.5% VFWAX/VTIAX | 11.5% VTSAX | 16% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 40% Wellington 40% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

KlangFool wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:52 am
:beer
Late 30's | 56% US | 35% Intl | 9% Cash
newcollegeman

Re: Why do you spend all your time on the Bogleheads forum?

Post by newcollegeman »

I wandered in financial darkness guided by brokers, advertisers & high fee fund meisters, losing my shirt.

Then I met Jack & Taylor & the Bogleheads: Low fee, Stay-the-Course common sense dawned!

Now I look after 3 & soon 4 generations with a Three Fund Portfolio. My sidekicks are the Boglehead Wiki, Forum & Conferences. Folks I have come to admire have been such a help to my family & others: Rick Ferri, Christine Benz, Nesiprius, Livesoft, Lady Geek & many others.

The range of talent & experience is impressive here.

That’s why I stay.

newcollegeman
goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou »

To debate international vs. US-only equity investing.

To debate the virtues of private college costs.

To debate the best place to retire.

I despise all other social media.

In all honesty, the best way most people could give themselves a raise is to become financially literate and proficient. It is the best bang for the buck, but it requires commitment and continued learning. I am very appreciative of the contributions that many Members have made over the years, and I hope that I can contribute by giving back what (little) knowledge I may have in financial matters. Like others here, my expertise in another field, but I hope to find a way to offer some valuable information, financial or otherwise.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | “At 50, everyone has the face he deserves”
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

KlangFool wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:31 pm

KlangFool
Please list why Roth 401K is not desirable
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

LiveSimple wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:07 pm

KlangFool
Just search on my posts.

KlangFool
40% VWENX | 12.5% VFWAX/VTIAX | 11.5% VTSAX | 16% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 40% Wellington 40% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

KlangFool wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:08 pm

KlangFool
Just search on my posts.

KlangFool
How about giving us a hint (or pointer to specific past post of yours)?

You have well over 20k posts.
Looking at the most recent, nothing jumps out by the header:

Why are you wasting time on boglehead forum?
Any broad index fund that excludes tech
How big of a problem is it for investment allocations to deviate somewhat from targets?
If Valuation doesn't matter, what does?
Continue dividend reinvesting while withdrawing?
Please educate me re: ongoing confusion between VBTLX vs. VWIUX (tax-exempt) in a taxable account
Is my withdrawal calculation correct?
Asset allocation when you've won
Retirement and AA advice for my 24 yr. old daughter
401k maxout
screen time limit app for kid's iPad
What is the minimum allocation in a fund to have a real tilt/effect?
Will BND return be negative in 2022
Feedback on Investment Plan
You Worked a Long Time. How Did You Do It?
How much AAPL stock can I keep?
Highly Compensated Employee?

Those are just from the first page of a list of your posts.

Thank you.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
lws

Post by lws »

Because I'm hooked on money & investing.
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

Thankful for many posters, advisors, and contributors. Special thanks for various Wiki article developers, and Calculator builders.

Most importantly - try to help community; and learn new/additional things -- "you don't know what you don't know" to help avoid blind-spots.
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

I'm still trying to understand factor investing ;-)
ProsperGoalzz

Post by ProsperGoalzz »

KlangFool wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:52 am
Dude2 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:30 am
KlangFool wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:31 pm I am still learning the impact of HCE versus non-HCE as per after-tax 401K contribution.

KlangFool
Also want to know all about safe harbor rules. :happy
There are some folks that really know 401K at the forum. Big thanks to all of them.

KlangFool
You saved me! (I contributed for 6.5 years :oops: )

To the OP's question: I'm here because I have always been interested in personal finance and investing, but as others have said, it's not something that friends/neighbors/colleagues ate interested in discussing. Folks here are super knowledgeable about these topics and share generously. I am SO grateful to have found Bogleheads. I guess 50s is better than never.

I am interested in what others are thinking about and doing. I love reading posts on all topics- finance a-z, oatmeal, hidden safes...and learning without setting out to do so intentionally.

The discussion is intelligent, funny, interesting and varied. I can read for long periods of time without getting bored.

Good people here.
gobel

Post by gobel »

TheTimeLord wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:07 pm Because my entire self worth is tied up in my ability to intelligently discuss every nuance of retirement planning in a way superior to my peer group.
haha, no, there's no one like that here!
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Bogleheads keep retiring and they deserve to be officially welcomed to the Awesome Retirement Roll Call and placed on the Class roster :D
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Spooky wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:21 pm The book recommendations on the "What are you reading" thread.
+ 100
Since the pandemic, I have read so many excellent books because of that thread alone.
Not to mention the movie thread.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

youngsters wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:01 pm
Set your asset allocation, invest regularly and go to do something else. Why are you active at this forum?
Overall the forum increases the knowledge level of many folks by sharing the wisdom and experience gained over the years.

We can thank Jack Bogle who cared about the “little guy”!

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
HateIRSandChase

Post by HateIRSandChase »

I ask myself OP’s question often as I do spend time searching this forum on a daily basis. I think part of it is because I’m obsessional in nature, but the other part is that it helps ground me to stay committed to my 70/30 total market, internationally diversified portfolio. Once in a while, I feel an urge to gamble on high-flying, individual stocks (think TSLA, etc.). I then think about being burned with the internet bubble in the early 2000s (think JDS Uniphase, etc.) when I was in my early thirties and promising myself I’d never invest in individual stocks again. 20 years is a long time though, memories fade, so seeing posts here by many of the boglehead greats helps to keep me on the straight and narrow.
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

Where else I can argue how much I should invest in International Index fund vs Total Stock Market Index fund. I enjoy nerd fights.
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

After I retired, I was looking for a way to volunteer and give back. Since I had some expertise in this area, it just felt like this was were I was meant to be. Taylor and I started doing this on Morningstar back in 1998 and it just took on a life of its own -- meeting with Jack Bogle at his request, having annual Conferences with him, writing books, setting up Local Chapters around the county and around the world and, of course, eventually moving the Bogleheads Community here to help create this world-class forum of our own.

Seeing this seed grow over the years is certainly rewarding for Taylor and me, and we hope that others will continue to carry the torch after we're both gone to our great reward. Perhaps we might even start a Bogleheads Local Chapter in the great beyond with Jack Bogle as a member :wink:
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:36 pm Seeing this seed grow over the years is certainly rewarding for Taylor and me, and we hope that others will continue to carry the torch after we're both gone to our great reward. Perhaps we might even start a Bogleheads Local Chapter in the great beyond with Jack Bogle as a member :wink:
I never had the chance to meet Mr Bogle in this life.

It would be wonderful to meet him in the great beyond, to personally thank him for his investing innovations that benefitted me, my children, and my children’s children.
Former life insurance company financial officer who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
dougger5

Post by dougger5 »

Stinky wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:27 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:36 pm Seeing this seed grow over the years is certainly rewarding for Taylor and me, and we hope that others will continue to carry the torch after we're both gone to our great reward. Perhaps we might even start a Bogleheads Local Chapter in the great beyond with Jack Bogle as a member :wink:
I never had the chance to meet Mr Bogle in this life.

It would be wonderful to meet him in the great beyond, to personally thank him for his investing innovations that benefitted me, my children, and my children’s children.
I met Jack just once, as he signed a copy of one of his books for me. There had been many in line in front of me. I blurted out, "Hey, how's your writing hand doing?"
"Hand's fine," he said. "And I'm not much for complaining anyway."

I regret that I never got the chance to have a more substantive conversation. But I'll cherish the memory of being on the receiving end of a snappy Bogleism nonetheless :happy
"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." -Buckaroo Banzai
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Mine is simple: If you want to be rich, hang out with rich people.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

BrooklynInvest wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:48 pm I'm still trying to understand factor investing ;-)
I just realized I need to understand this one too.

But I’m still stuck trying to understand if I should invest in International or not.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:07 pm Because my entire self worth is tied up in my ability to intelligently discuss every nuance of retirement planning in a way superior to my peer group.
+1

Yes in a roomful of morons, I look like a genius, which means, amongst my real-life friends, no one I know, knows as much as me.
Godot

Post by Godot »

youngsters wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:01 pm [Title was "Why are you wasting time on boglehead forum?" --admin LadyGeek]

Set your asset allocation, invest regularly and go to do something else. Why are you active at this forum?
I spend my time here to learn and to avoid trolls that ruin other discussion forums. It's more difficult to do the latter. Thanks for reminding me.
"You're on earth. There's no cure for that." | ― Samuel Beckett
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

youngsters wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:01 pm [Title was "Why are you wasting time on boglehead forum?" --admin LadyGeek]

I learn by being wrong. So I like to be wrong most of the times. The key is don't make the same mistake twice.
Time is the ultimate currency. My ultimate wealth is the full control of how I spend my time.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

Tdubs wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:33 am If not for this site, I wouldn't have an HSA or I Bonds--three of the four people I told about I Bonds bought them too. Because of BH, I learned I could buy an extra $5,000 in I Bonds through my tax return (and because of BH I withheld extra in taxes last month to do so).
you can actually buy not only $10,000 per year and $5000 per year per tax refund but also another $10,000 a year if done through a revocable trust:

https://thefinancebuff.com/buy-more-i-b ... trust.html

that was something new I learned here last year from another poster (sorry I don't remember who originally posted it).
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Why do you spend all your time on the Bogleheads forum?
I don't.
I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs.
arcticpineapplecorp.

260chrisb wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:52 pm
Makaveli wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:06 pm
stoptothink wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:56 pm
Makaveli wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:42 pm In a world where items/people are getting canceled left and right, Bogleheads admins still allow us to discuss topics such as these.
:confused I love this board, but at the same time it is BY FAR the most heavily moderated in terms of "off-topic" subjects that I have ever been a part of. Part of the reason I go to two other boards is because topics can be discussed there that would be deleted immediately here.
The bitcoin censorship did concern me, I hear ya. Overall though - a well run board, civil, and focused on sound investment principles.
Is there bitcoin censorship here? Must have missed it.
this is what's being referred to:

New Forum Policy Prohibiting Discussions of Cryptocurrency, Market Manipulations, Schemes, etc. as Investing Strategies
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
arcticpineapplecorp.

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:12 am
galawdawg wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:39 pm One other reason I spend time here, and on this thread in particular, is that I want to see if I win the pool.

Does the OP (whose original question was "Why are you wasting time on the Bogleheads forum?") ever return to this thread and, if so, the date and time he/she returns. I'm really hoping to beat Cheez-It Guy aka Tim Buckley! :moneybag

:sharebeer
that is both one of the funniest things I've seen all day and one of the worst photoshop editing jobs at the same time.

thanks for the laugh.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

There’s more to this forum than just allocation. I was very active on how to pay for college thread when my son was applying to colleges, found out a lot of good stuff from parents who’ve been through it before.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:02 pm
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:12 am
galawdawg wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:39 pm One other reason I spend time here, and on this thread in particular, is that I want to see if I win the pool.

Does the OP (whose original question was "Why are you wasting time on the Bogleheads forum?") ever return to this thread and, if so, the date and time he/she returns. I'm really hoping to beat Cheez-It Guy aka Tim Buckley! :moneybag

that is both one of the funniest things I've seen all day and one of the worst photoshop editing jobs at the same time.

thanks for the laugh.
All credit to galawdawg! Not sure what he did to my chin, but it's the thought that counts. And it counts for a lot!
PlayingLife

Post by PlayingLife »

I consider it time "intelligently spent" online and I enjoy the contributions. If I'm not reading this or WSJ, I'm playing video games or am scrolling facebook hobby groups endlessly.
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

I have learned and continue to learn a huge amount from the members of the forum. I greatly value the wisdom and thoughtfulness of the members of the Bogleheads community.

That said, I do think there is some merit in the OP's initial inflammatory title of this posting "Why are you wasting time on boglehead forum?" In my mind, a major purpose of money is to give you agency to live your life as you choose. For me, money itself is not the objective as much as what it allows you to do and the security and freedom it gives you. The OP points out that at some point there are diminishing returns such that the money "tail" is wagging the "good life" dog.

Sitting in front of a computer monitor or TV screen for hours a day for recreation is not how I wish to live my life. I do think there is value for some of the super-users with thousands of posts to think twice about how much time they spend on this or other online fora. There is a beautiful world out there called reality.
Last edited by calmaniac on Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
≈63yo. AA 70/30: 30% TSM, 16% value (VIOV/VFVA/AVUV), 16% foreign LC, 8%emerging, 30% GFund/VBTIX. Fed pensions now ≈60% of expenses. Taking SS @age 70--> pension+SS ≈100% of expenses. What me worry?
tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla »

I'm trying to learn from advisors that know what they are talking about.
jpdion

Post by jpdion »

I drop in from time to time when some financial question is vexing me, hoping someone has found an answer I can use. I can go months between visits to Bogleheads. So, "all your time" is an assumption on the part of the OP.
LFrugal

Post by LFrugal »

Because I'm addicted to the Bogleheads Forum. Probably need an intervention in 2022.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore »

youngsters wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:01 pm Why are you active at this forum?
youngsters:

I am active because I enjoy helping people.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "Success, in short, can be measured not in what we attain for ourselves, but in what we contribute to our society."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

youngsters wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:04 am Thanks all for wasting your time to response my stupid question!
galawdawg wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:39 pm Does the OP (whose original question was "Why are you wasting time on the Bogleheads forum?") ever return to this thread and, if so, the date and time he/she returns. I'm really hoping to beat Cheez-It Guy aka Tim Buckley! :moneybag

Hello galawdawg!
Dagnabbit...looks like Buckley beat me again. Guess another box of Cheez-It®1 will be on the way to Malvern this week. And if I had won, I would have received a BOGO coupon good for one free year of PAS when I pay for one year of PAS.... :P

1Cheez-It®, an official sponsor of the 2022 College Football Playoff National Championship. The National Champion Georgia Bulldogs thank you for your support. Go Dawgs!
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Never bet against Tim "The Buck Man" Buckley!

https://youtu.be/6jo1TAgEHJU
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

galawdawg wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:02 pm
youngsters wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:04 am Thanks all for wasting your time to response my stupid question!
galawdawg wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:39 pm Does the OP (whose original question was "Why are you wasting time on the Bogleheads forum?") ever return to this thread and, if so, the date and time he/she returns. I'm really hoping to beat Cheez-It Guy aka Tim Buckley! :moneybag

Hello galawdawg!
Dagnabbit...looks like Buckley beat me again. Guess another box of Cheez-It®1 will be on the way to Malvern this week. And if I had won, I would have received a BOGO coupon good for one free year of PAS when I pay for one year of PAS.... :P

1Cheez-It®, an official sponsor of the 2022 College Football Playoff National Championship. The National Champion Georgia Bulldogs thank you for your support. Go Dawgs!
So posting the Cheez-It picture was just an elaborate, convoluted way to be able to mention that the Dawgs won the National Championship? :D
Former life insurance company financial officer who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

KlangFool wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:08 pm

KlangFool
Just search on my posts.

KlangFool
I respectfully disagree with your viewpoint, you are wrong Klangfool, I am pro Roth, you will never save me by telling me otherwise.
Rajsx

Post by Rajsx »

Thanks to you all, I have had lots of help on this forum, & I keep coming here for more.
We do not stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing !!
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:58 pm
Tdubs wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:33 am If not for this site, I wouldn't have an HSA or I Bonds--three of the four people I told about I Bonds bought them too. Because of BH, I learned I could buy an extra $5,000 in I Bonds through my tax return (and because of BH I withheld extra in taxes last month to do so).
you can actually buy not only $10,000 per year and $5000 per year per tax refund but also another $10,000 a year if done through a revocable trust:

https://thefinancebuff.com/buy-more-i-b ... trust.html

that was something new I learned here last year from another poster (sorry I don't remember who originally posted it).
Yeah, that wrinkle, learned on BH, has me thinking of a trust as well.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Elsebet wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:02 pm Mine is simple: If you want to be rich, hang out with rich people.
Perfect!!!!

j :D :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Patzer

Post by Patzer »

I enjoy learning more about math, finance, and investing and I enjoy helping others with what I know.
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

Watty wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:54 pm Stuck close to home with the pandemic.

Feels good to be able to sometimes help people.

Still learning as I go through the different phases of life.
You have helped me tremendously. Even when answering other people’s questions. My husband and I were talking one day about a thread and I asked him “Did you see what Watty said?”
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

whodidntante wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:01 pm We'll find the correct answer to how much to put into international; I just know it.
I already know. It’s precisely what I have.
UpsetRaptor

Post by UpsetRaptor »

Because most other internet boards quickly get drowned out by not-smart people. Bogleheads mostly avoids that issue. Mostly.
Exodus

Post by Exodus »

I enjoy learning about different financial situations and possibly applying the logic to my own financial situation. Also, things I didn't need to worry about when I was younger, I now look to this forum for advice now that I'm older and my financial situations has changed.

Exodus
The outcome is the perspective...
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

No better place to have discussions. Really, really awesome over the years. Consistent too. Mods & format have something to do with that.

Thr biggie is no advertising. I love that here!
Death and taxes. Only one is under your control!