Seattle Area Chapter Meetings - Master Thread

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
edgeagg

Re: Seattle Area Chapter Meetings - Master Thread

Post by edgeagg »

Well, if you like Chinese food there are plenty of inexpensive and good places around in Redmond and Bellevue.

For example, the Szechuan Cuisine place off 24'th street in B'vue
Geno

Post by Geno »

Hi Seattle area Bogleheads

Do we have date and location for Jan. 2020 meet-up.

How about IKEA ? Good place for frugal Bogleheads.
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies; Succeed anyway.
rainb0w88

Post by rainb0w88 »

Hello:
I would love to join the meetup. But, I work in downtown seattle. it is hard to meet lunch time during the week. wondering we can meet evening time or Sat. We also can book Bellevue library meeting room.
Mountebank

Post by Mountebank »

Elsebet: have we a January 2020 meeting scheduled?
physixfan

Post by physixfan »

Interested! Looking forward to a meetup here
m@ver1ck

Post by m@ver1ck »

Interested too - do we have a date for Jan 2020?
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

Iam fine with Bellevue or Sammamish library meeting room
How about Jan 25th ?
Allocation : 80/20 (90% TSM, 10% on ARKK,XBI,XLK/individual stocks and 20% TBM) | | Need to learn fishing sooner
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

The next Seattle Bogleheads lunch meeting will be Friday, February 28 2020 at 11:15am at the Crossroads Bellevue Public Market.
Please RSVP here or to seattlebogleheads@gmail.com before Monday, Nov 11 so I know roughly how many to expect.

Food choices:
https://crossroadsbellevue.com/directory/dine/

Directions:
https://crossroadsbellevue.com/hours-directions/

Dining Map:
https://crossroadsbellevue.com/directory/dine/map

I will stop in front of the Starbucks on the map above until 11:15am or so then we will go get a table. The past two times we have grabbed the first table around the corner from Starbucks to the right - it's near Ziti Pasta italiano on the Dining Map above. I will have a small Bogleheads sign with me so don't be shy! I'll also put the bogleheads sign on our table if you arrive later, will try to rig something tall so it stands out. Feel free to email seattlebogleheads@gmail.com or PM me here for any questions/issues.

February's topic is: I'm not sure yet. If nothing else we can discuss the SECURE Act of 2019!

Looking forward to seeing you there!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

core4portfolio wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:51 am Iam fine with Bellevue or Sammamish library meeting room
How about Jan 25th ?
Feel free to organize this, I cannot do weekends unfortunately which is why I organize the lunch.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

Elsebet wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:55 pm
core4portfolio wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:51 am Iam fine with Bellevue or Sammamish library meeting room
How about Jan 25th ?
Feel free to organize this, I cannot do weekends unfortunately which is why I organize the lunch.
Iam fine on lunch plan also :)
Allocation : 80/20 (90% TSM, 10% on ARKK,XBI,XLK/individual stocks and 20% TBM) | | Need to learn fishing sooner
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

Well if the light rail ever gets done, some more of us unfortunate downtown Seattle workers could show up, i suppose. But whatever do bogleheads talk about at a lunch gathering anyway, the exciting times in our Balanced Index Fund?
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Mon->Fri I have to work. Can't meet. Weekend in donuts shop is prefered. Not fan of crossroad food court.
Arlington2019

Post by Arlington2019 »

I am generally at work in downtown Seattle during usual business hours.
Sage16

Post by Sage16 »

I really appreciate that Elsebet has stepped up, in a volunteer role, and taken leadership of pulling together a regular meeting. Without her initiative there probably won't be a regional group meeting at all. She has attracted a diverse group of early and experienced investors to the meetings she has coordinated and has had a number of insightful conversations. As the "volunteer" leader, Elsebet has organized a location and day/time that fits her schedule and she has had good attendance at her Eastside weekday lunch meetings.

It seems like on this thread there are a lot of people interested in meeting but have schedule conflicts or issues with the location that Elsebet has coordinated. There is no way Elesbet can accommodate everyone's requirements. But it seems to me there are enough people with requests to change the meeting that maybe a second group in the area makes sense, possibly on the west side of Lake Washington. Maybe someone will take the initiative to start that group that accommodates their requirements for a meeting and like minded people will join them. In the meantime I will continue to be grateful that Elsebet has stepped up and in a volunteer role to pull a meeting together that seems to work for a sizable group of people.
Bogle on investing: Diversify, focus on low costs, invest for the long term. Don't speculate and don't be distracted by volatility.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

I missed the donuts place in Bellevue.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Apologies all, I got scheduled for a training/design session with a vendor on the week of the 28th so I'm moving this to Friday March 6. I'll send an email out this week also.

The next Seattle Bogleheads lunch meeting will be Friday, March 6 2020 at 11:15am at the Crossroads Bellevue Public Market.
Please RSVP here or to seattlebogleheads@gmail.com before Monday, March 2 so I know roughly how many to expect.

Food choices:

Directions:

Dining Map:

I will stop in front of the Starbucks on the map above until 11:15am or so then we will go get a table. The past two times we have grabbed the first table around the corner from Starbucks to the right - it's near Ziti Pasta italiano on the Dining Map above. I will have a small Bogleheads sign with me so don't be shy! I'll also put the bogleheads sign on our table if you arrive later, will try to rig something tall so it stands out. Feel free to email seattlebogleheads@gmail.com or PM me here for any questions/issues.

February's topic is something I personally worry about often: protecting my assets from liability! Say a person has homeowners/car/umbrella insurance, what else should/could they be doing to protect their assets?

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Bumping as a reminder. :) Looking forward to seeing folks this Friday!
Elsebet wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:45 pm Apologies all, I got scheduled for a training/design session with a vendor on the week of the 28th so I'm moving this to Friday March 6. I'll send an email out this week also.

The next Seattle Bogleheads lunch meeting will be Friday, March 6 2020 at 11:15am at the Crossroads Bellevue Public Market.
Please RSVP here or to seattlebogleheads@gmail.com before Monday, March 2 so I know roughly how many to expect.

Food choices:

Directions:

Dining Map:

February's topic is something I personally worry about often: protecting my assets from liability! Say a person has homeowners/car/umbrella insurance, what else should/could they be doing to protect their assets?

seattlered

Post by seattlered »

I'm a Seattle newbie to this blog. Can anyone tell me what the topic is for this Friday's meeting in Bellevue (Mar 6, 2020)?
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

seattlered wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:18 am I'm a Seattle newbie to this blog. Can anyone tell me what the topic is for this Friday's meeting in Bellevue (Mar 6, 2020)?
This is the topic I mentioned in my post above, however I imagine the topic of the day will shift to Coronavirus and its affect on the market. :)
seattlered

Post by seattlered »

Thank you. I saw that but thought it was last month's topic since it says "February's Topic".
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Hi all -

My humbles apologies for having to reschedule again but I was just scheduled for a mandatory meeting starting at 11am this Friday and must reschedule to 3/13/2020.

The next Seattle Bogleheads lunch meeting will be Friday, March 13 2020 at 11:15am at the Crossroads Bellevue Public Market.

Food choices:

Directions:

Dining Map:

March's topic is something I personally worry about often: protecting my assets from liability! Say a person has homeowners/car/umbrella insurance, what else should/could they be doing to protect their assets? However we can also discuss the Coronavirus affect on the market!

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Beware of virus.
valueashram

Post by valueashram »

I was looking forward to attending my first meeting but decided earlier this week I would skip it out of abundance of caution since I have some old folks at home. Given the rescheduling I will assess next week. Looking forward to eventually meeting some of you!
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Video conference from your own kitchen. Cook your own food and be safe.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Hi - in light of the Coronavirus issues I'll reschedule this meetup in May - sorry for the late notice.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Hi all,

I am moving out of state so I will need to have someone else take over the meetings and seattlebogleheads@gmail.com email address. Please PM me if you are interested, thank you! It was really fun to lead the meetings here and I will miss the folks that regularly attended!
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Still looking for a volunteer! :)
Elsebet wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:03 pm Hi all,

I am moving out of state so I will need to have someone else take over the meetings and seattlebogleheads@gmail.com email address. Please PM me if you are interested, thank you! It was really fun to lead the meetings here and I will miss the folks that regularly attended!
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Last edited by AerialWombat on Sun May 17, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
FiveSigmas

Post by FiveSigmas »

AerialWombat wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:26 pmI would be happy to do this, as long as folks don’t object to holding meetings in downtown Seattle.
I’d love a downtown Seattle meetup once lockdown orders are relaxed.
Misenplace

Post by Misenplace »

AerialWombat wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:26 pm
Elsebet wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:08 pm Still looking for a volunteer! :)
Elsebet wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:03 pm Hi all,

I would be happy to do this, as long as folks don’t object to holding meetings in downtown Seattle.
Thanks aerialwombat for organizing.
Elsebet, best of luck in your move- I hope that this is a good thing for you!
StoopieHippo

Post by StoopieHippo »

I just found out this was a thing! I'm newish to the game and would love to join the next meet up, once this pandemic nonsense abates (and provided I'm off work that day, since you guys seem to meet mostly during the week). Any downtown Seattle meet ups, by chance?
badapu

Post by badapu »

In the land of amazon and Microsoft - how about a virtual meet???!!!
StoopieHippo

Post by StoopieHippo »

badapu wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:43 pm In the land of amazon and Microsoft - how about a virtual meet???!!!
That's a wonderful idea!

Does AerialWombat agree? :D
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

Greetings Seattle Bogleheads!

If Seattle doesn't have a facilitator to get the next meeting going, someone just needs to organize it (virtual meeting) and send out the invites.

Gail Cox
Mofire

Post by Mofire »

It’s been a few months so am not sure if arielwombat is still up for organizing events. I’m happy to volunteer to set up in person meetings on the eastside as i know it’ll be challenging for many of us eastsiders to make it downtown, and I can set up virtual meetings in the interim until the lock down rules are relaxed.

I’ve also mailed elsebet as well but am not sure if next steps. Can someone advise? @misenplace

Cheers
Jay
tomsense76

Post by tomsense76 »

Curious if there are people still interested in meeting. Especially as this now may be more doable in person. Thoughts? :happy
"Anyone who claims to understand quantum theory is either lying or crazy" -- Richard Feynman
ppb1303

Post by ppb1303 »

I would love to join next meeting as well. I can help with setting up either virtual or in-person meeting.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

tomsense76 wrote: Curious if there are people still interested in meeting. Especially as this now may be more doable in person. Thoughts? :happy
Mofire wrote: It’s been a few months so am not sure if arielwombat is still up for organizing events. I’m happy to volunteer to set up in person meetings on the eastside as i know it’ll be challenging for many of us eastsiders to make it downtown, and I can set up virtual meetings in the interim until the lock down rules are relaxed.
ppb1303 wrote: I would love to join next meeting as well. I can help with setting up either virtual or in-person meeting.
Hi Seattle Bogleheads! There is a whole big Boglehead Zoom World going on right now for you to participate in :D

For ALL upcoming Bogleheads meetings and presentations, go to the BH Blog Calendar of Events which is updated daily -
Bogleheads Calendar of Events ==> https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/

There is also a new series of BH chapters called the Bogleheads Life Stage Chapters and you may find those online meetings useful. The Starting Out Life Stage Chapter has already had two very successful zoom presentations.

The next major online Bogleheads meeting open to everyone is on Thursday, May 20, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET/ 5:00 pm PT

This will be an online presentation by Allan Roth hosted by the San Antonio Bogleheads Chapter.

This will be an enjoyable interactive meeting on Zoom with ample time for Q & A on all personal finance topics. Allan's presentation will be valuable to all investors, beginners to experienced.

The San Antonio Chapter is also collecting Qs ahead of the meeting if you wish to submit Qs to their website - SanAntonioBogleheads@gmail.com.

Allan is an MBA, CPA, CFP, and is extremely knowledgeable and a delightful presenter and Bogleheads favorite. He has been on the Panel of Experts at the Bogleheads Conferences for many years.

Here is some more information about Allan -
-- well-known author of "How a Second Grader Beats Wall Street"
-- financial website Wealth Logic/Dare to be Dull - www.DareToBeDull.com/overviewbio/
-- guest on Rick Ferri's "Bogleheads On Investing Podcast" - Episode 008

To receive the zoom link for this presentation, email SFLBogleheads@gmail.com, or the SanAntonioBogleheads@gmail.com, or send me a PM. Please also check the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events - zoom links are often posted on the calendar. Again, the time is 8:00 pm ET or 5:00 pm Pacific Time.
ckk206

Post by ckk206 »

ppb1303 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:40 am I would love to join next meeting as well. I can help with setting up either virtual or in-person meeting.
+1 here ... :sharebeer :sharebeer
cuckoohash

Post by cuckoohash »

+1 interested in meeting!
Kuota Rider

Post by Kuota Rider »

I am in Bellingham. I would love to attend if I m available.
sampark

Post by sampark »

I would like to join and attend the meetings with Seattle Bogle Head.
Can somebody let me know the process ? Thanks.
cgaarden

Post by cgaarden »

Hi sampark,

I'm new to the Bogleheads. Did you succeed in meeting up with people?

Either ways, super happy to meet up and I have a couple of other friends and n00bs who might join in as well.

Let me know if you are interested and we can discuss details.
midwest_bound

Post by midwest_bound »

Hi,

I currently reside on the eastside and I'd be interested in a chapter meeting!
mydknyght

Post by mydknyght »

Hello everyone!

My name is Jesse. I just joined the Bogleheads forum and wanted to say hello. I live in Seattle proper and would love to meet up some time.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

mydknyght wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:17 pm Hello everyone!

My name is Jesse. I just joined the Bogleheads forum and wanted to say hello. I live in Seattle proper and would love to meet up some time.
Welcome. Hopefully at some point another meetup will be scheduled and some of us will get together again.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
emanuel_v19

Post by emanuel_v19 »

I was also interested. Do people not meet anymore?
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

emanuel_v19 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:51 pm I was also interested. Do people not meet anymore?
I *think* the pandemic happened, and the the Seattle lead moved to another city.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
rainb0w88

Post by rainb0w88 »

I am in Bellevue and would love to join a local meet up next time. thank you