Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Post Reply
angelescrest
Posts: 1371
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:48 am
Location: MCOL, no state income tax

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by angelescrest »

We just crossed into the seven figure space. :shock:

There is a caveat here, however. We just sold our house, and the funds cleared. I wasn't really counting our home value as a part of our net worth since it's a moving target, but we are also not going to be buying a home anytime in the next couple years. So, the :moneybag is ours until we buy again. The home sale proceeds was about 15% of our net worth.

Still, adding up all the numbers across the accounts, and here we are, in a spot I could never have fathomed years ago. Definitely could not have fathomed it when I first logged onto Bogleheads and started asking questions. I had no idea what I was doing. Always wondered who those people were who hit the millionaire status and what they did. We never made a lot of money. I'm not even comfortable using that word--millionaire--in reference to myself. So, I'm not sure how I feel. How am I supposed to feel? Another day, another dollar. But I do think it's important to celebrate milestones, and as I've not told anyone I know, I'm sharing this with all of you. Wish I could sit down with a few of you in person to reflect, and buy you all a round. :beer
User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 7926
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Stinky »

angelescrest wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:36 pm We just crossed into the seven figure space. :shock:

There is a caveat here, however. We just sold our house, and the funds cleared. I wasn't really counting our home value as a part of our net worth since it's a moving target, but we are also not going to be buying a home anytime in the next couple years. So, the :moneybag is ours until we buy again. The home sale proceeds was about 15% of our net worth.

Still, adding up all the numbers across the accounts, and here we are, in a spot I could never have fathomed years ago. Definitely could not have fathomed it when I first logged onto Bogleheads and started asking questions. I had no idea what I was doing. Always wondered who those people were who hit the millionaire status and what they did. We never made a lot of money. I'm not even comfortable using that word--millionaire--in reference to myself. So, I'm not sure how I feel. How am I supposed to feel? Another day, another dollar. But I do think it's important to celebrate milestones, and as I've not told anyone I know, I'm sharing this with all of you. Wish I could sit down with a few of you in person to reflect, and buy you all a round. :beer
Congratulations! And thank you so much for sharing your story.

You can repeat it - you are a millionaire.
It's a GREAT day to be alive! - Travis Tritt
angelescrest
Posts: 1371
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:48 am
Location: MCOL, no state income tax

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by angelescrest »

Stinky wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:11 pm
angelescrest wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:36 pm We just crossed into the seven figure space. :shock:

There is a caveat here, however. We just sold our house, and the funds cleared. I wasn't really counting our home value as a part of our net worth since it's a moving target, but we are also not going to be buying a home anytime in the next couple years. So, the :moneybag is ours until we buy again. The home sale proceeds was about 15% of our net worth.

Still, adding up all the numbers across the accounts, and here we are, in a spot I could never have fathomed years ago. Definitely could not have fathomed it when I first logged onto Bogleheads and started asking questions. I had no idea what I was doing. Always wondered who those people were who hit the millionaire status and what they did. We never made a lot of money. I'm not even comfortable using that word--millionaire--in reference to myself. So, I'm not sure how I feel. How am I supposed to feel? Another day, another dollar. But I do think it's important to celebrate milestones, and as I've not told anyone I know, I'm sharing this with all of you. Wish I could sit down with a few of you in person to reflect, and buy you all a round. :beer
Congratulations! And thank you so much for sharing your story.

You can repeat it - you are a millionaire.
Thank you! Thirteen years ago I had $30,000 exactly in my retirement accounts, and tons of school and housing debt from the Great Recession. If I can make it, many Americans can. But of course, this is just a step toward the goal of financial independence and enough money to provide my children a rewarding college education.
Nowizard
Posts: 3388
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Nowizard »

All is well with current assets relative to expenditures and investment returns and will remain so whether additional increases, decreases or a correction occurs during the remainder of the year.
Tim
jay22
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:56 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Hello, 2 comma club

Post by jay22 »

[This thread has been merged into the "Post your Financial Milestone Announcement Here" topic in the Bogleheads Community forum- Mod Misenplace.]

With yesterday's market melt up, our portfolio + cash position hit 1M+. My hands are numb as I type this, it feels completely surreal. With a generous stock market and high saving rate, it has taken us less than 10 years to get here. Just wanted to share it with the BH here - don't think it would have been possible without the education I got here. I showed the number on the spreadsheet to my wife and she just shrugged and said "that's nice." :D

I have experimented a lot with different funds since I started investing (active funds, sector funds, momentum funds, and most recently - the ARK ones). But one thing I have been consistent about is aggressive saving, putting that money in the market, and staying invested. Never in the last 10 years have I sold out and sat in cash. Current portfolio is 60% VTI, 30% QQQ, and 10% (ARKK+ARKF).

Excited to see what the next decade brings! I plan to keep our saving rate going and hopefully the market returns will assist in hitting 3M before I turn 50 (currently 38 y/o).
Last edited by jay22 on Tue May 25, 2021 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
markjk
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:01 am

Re: Hello, 2 comma club

Post by markjk »

Congratulations! In Bogleheads fashion, I'll just say be prepared for a few downs and ups. You might very well drop below that number and then back up again a couple of times depending on future market behavior. But yes, that is a huge milestone and something worth celebrating. Nice to see the process working, isn't it?
:sharebeer
jay22
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:56 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Hello, 2 comma club

Post by jay22 »

markjk wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:24 am Congratulations! In Bogleheads fashion, I'll just say be prepared for a few downs and ups. You might very well drop below that number and then back up again a couple of times depending on future market behavior. But yes, that is a huge milestone and something worth celebrating. Nice to see the process working, isn't it?
:sharebeer
Indeed it is! It is pretty incredible how quickly it happened after we hit 500k. Compounding really is amazing! :moneybag
yohac
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:42 pm

Re: Hello, 2 comma club

Post by yohac »

jay22 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:19 am I showed the number on the spreadsheet to my wife and she just shrugged and said "that's nice." :D
My wife had much the same reaction, finding it about as interesting as last night's baseball score.
Randolph Mortimer
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:13 pm

Re: Hello, 2 comma club

Post by Randolph Mortimer »

Congrats, you have been very fortunate. Now might be a good time to reassess your ability, willingness, and need for risk as it relates to your asset allocation.
mptfan
Posts: 6607
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:58 am

Re: Hello, 2 comma club

Post by mptfan »

Congratulations. I know this is not something you can talk about with most people, but you are welcome to talk about it here! Well done.
jay22
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:56 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Hello, 2 comma club

Post by jay22 »

Randolph Mortimer wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:38 am Congrats, you have been very fortunate. Now might be a good time to reassess your ability, willingness, and need for risk as it relates to your asset allocation.
Absolutely. Slowly I am moving out of my ARK positions and putting that money in VTI. Don't see a role for bonds in my portfolio with the current rates, but I have enough cash to absorb the shocks.
User avatar
djpeteski
Posts: 1053
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Hello, 2 comma club

Post by djpeteski »

Very well done in a climate of spend, spend, spend. You are very young to reach this milestones.

Of those you do tell, beware of those that would diminish you accomplishment. There are people that rate the Grand Canyon with one star. Nothing/no one is immune from the haters.
heyyou
Posts: 3922
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:58 pm

Re: Hello, 2 comma club

Post by heyyou »

Congratulations on your accomplishment.
How many years since your first stock market investment and was it a single stock or a mutual fund, and how long since you started owning index funds?
DoTheMath
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:11 pm
Location: The Plains

Re: Hello, 2 comma club

Post by DoTheMath »

Congratulations and welcome!

We crossed the line sometime in the past year, although I didn't notice at the time and still couldn't quite say when without going back and doing some numbers.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir
mikejuss
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:36 pm

Re: Hello, 2 comma club

Post by mikejuss »

Well done!

Now stop buying actively managed funds. :annoyed
jay22
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:56 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Hello, 2 comma club

Post by jay22 »

djpeteski wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:54 am Very well done in a climate of spend, spend, spend. You are very young to reach this milestones.

Of those you do tell, beware of those that would diminish you accomplishment. There are people that rate the Grand Canyon with one star. Nothing/no one is immune from the haters.
Thank you. We are pretty good at delayed gratification, so that certainly helps! :D
jay22
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:56 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Hello, 2 comma club

Post by jay22 »

mikejuss wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:22 am Well done!

Now stop buying actively managed funds. :annoyed
I know! Cannot help with the itch that needs to be scratched at times, but I am trying to be better about it.
jay22
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:56 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Hello, 2 comma club

Post by jay22 »

heyyou wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:02 am Congratulations on your accomplishment.
How many years since your first stock market investment and was it a single stock or a mutual fund, and how long since you started owning index funds?
I started investing in June 2012 (opened my IRA account that month). Pretty sure the first investment was VTSAX. 80-85% of my portfolio has always been invested in index funds. Some folks would disagree on QQQ being an index fund, but that's ok. :)
Last edited by jay22 on Tue May 25, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Brianmcg321
Posts: 1431
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:23 am

Re: Hello, 2 comma club

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Congrats. Its a great feeling of accomplishment.

After a month or two of see-sawing back and forth its starts feel more normal.

Of course my wife keeps saying "If we are millionaires, how come I don't have a brand new Tahoe yet?" LOL.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
mikejuss
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:36 pm

Re: Hello, 2 comma club

Post by mikejuss »

jay22 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:24 am
mikejuss wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:22 am Well done!

Now stop buying actively managed funds. :annoyed
I know! Cannot help with the itch that needs to be scratched at times, but I am trying to be better about it.
I know that the returns are great now, but you'll be better served by passively managed index funds (including--horror of horrors--bonds) in the long run.
jay22
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:56 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Hello, 2 comma club

Post by jay22 »

Brianmcg321 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:30 am Congrats. Its a great feeling of accomplishment.

After a month or two of see-sawing back and forth its starts feel more normal.

Of course my wife keeps saying "If we are millionaires, how come I don't have a brand new Tahoe yet?" LOL.
Good thing my wife is happy with her 2014 Civic. :D
User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 21470
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Hello, 2 comma club

Post by ruralavalon »

Congratulations on joining the 2 comma club :)
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
Misenplace
Moderator
Posts: 3318
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:46 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Misenplace »

Congratulations jay22! Quite an achievement at your age.

I merged your thread into the existing topic we maintain for posting milestones. Be sure to come back and post when you hit the second mil. :sharebeer
jay22
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:56 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by jay22 »

Misenplace wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:01 am Congratulations jay22! Quite an achievement at your age.

I merged your thread into the existing topic we maintain for posting milestones. Be sure to come back and post when you hit the second mil. :sharebeer
Hopefully sooner rather than later!
go2run
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by go2run »

Just hit the 7 figure mark in one of our Roth accounts. It's exciting to hit that mark and it's even more exciting to think that there are NO tax obligations on the growth. :sharebeer
achillesheel
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:19 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by achillesheel »

go2run wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:42 am Just hit the 7 figure mark in one of our Roth accounts. It's exciting to hit that mark and it's even more exciting to think that there are NO tax obligations on the growth. :sharebeer
That's amazing. In ONE of your Roth accounts? I assume you used the backdoor roth strategy, or is this just straight contributions to a roth IRA? In either case, congratulations.
go2run
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by go2run »

achillesheel wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:52 am
That's amazing. In ONE of your Roth accounts? I assume you used the backdoor roth strategy, or is this just straight contributions to a roth IRA? In either case, congratulations.
We haven't been able to contribute to our Roth accounts for about 4 years now. I've been wanting to contribute via the backdoor method but our rollover tIRA account balances are deterring us from doing it. So, the growth is primarily market growth over the years.
User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 21470
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by ruralavalon »

go2run wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:42 am Just hit the 7 figure mark in one of our Roth accounts. It's exciting to hit that mark and it's even more exciting to think that there are NO tax obligations on the growth. :sharebeer
go2run wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:09 am
achillesheel wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:52 am
That's amazing. In ONE of your Roth accounts? I assume you used the backdoor roth strategy, or is this just straight contributions to a roth IRA? In either case, congratulations.
We haven't been able to contribute to our Roth accounts for about 4 years now. I've been wanting to contribute via the backdoor method but our rollover tIRA account balances are deterring us from doing it. So, the growth is primarily market growth over the years.
Congratulations :D .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 23804
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

go2run wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:09 am
achillesheel wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:52 am
That's amazing. In ONE of your Roth accounts? I assume you used the backdoor roth strategy, or is this just straight contributions to a roth IRA? In either case, congratulations.
We haven't been able to contribute to our Roth accounts for about 4 years now. I've been wanting to contribute via the backdoor method but our rollover tIRA account balances are deterring us from doing it. So, the growth is primarily market growth over the years.
Wow, congratulations! That is a home run alright!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Wannaretireearly
Posts: 1549
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Wannaretireearly »

go2run wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:09 am
achillesheel wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:52 am
That's amazing. In ONE of your Roth accounts? I assume you used the backdoor roth strategy, or is this just straight contributions to a roth IRA? In either case, congratulations.
We haven't been able to contribute to our Roth accounts for about 4 years now. I've been wanting to contribute via the backdoor method but our rollover tIRA account balances are deterring us from doing it. So, the growth is primarily market growth over the years.
👏 well done ! What funds in the Roth if you don't mind sharing? Cheers
Death and taxes. Only one is under your control!
go2run
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by go2run »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:35 pm
👏 well done ! What funds in the Roth if you don't mind sharing? Cheers
I did have some individual stock in the account but have reallocated to VTSAX and VTIAX. It is mostly VTSAX at this point.
Ed 2
Posts: 1857
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 9:34 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Ed 2 »

A question. Is this for one milestone or more? Jus sayin ;)
P.s VTSAX and chill
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
Wannaretireearly
Posts: 1549
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Wannaretireearly »

go2run wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:48 pm
Wannaretireearly wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:35 pm
👏 well done ! What funds in the Roth if you don't mind sharing? Cheers
I did have some individual stock in the account but have reallocated to VTSAX and VTIAX. It is mostly VTSAX at this point.
Thanks!
Death and taxes. Only one is under your control!
User avatar
DarkNyte
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 10:15 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by DarkNyte »

At market close today finally crossed the 2 million net worth milestone today. I forgot to post when I passed the 500k and 1 million milestones so I'll make up for it today. We rent so all of our net worth is either in brokerage or retirement accounts.

I finished my last year of medical training in 2014 and had a net worth of negative 25k. I had been diligent in saving during residency and it helped to keep my debt low, but I knew nothing about diversified investing. I found this forum in 2014 and it really helped me to formulate a simple automated investing strategy and I am so thankful for all the investing knowledge shared in this forum. I decided on a simple 4 fund portfolio which has had the same asset allocation since I started index investing in 2014. This really helped me to stay the course, especially during turbulent times such as last year.

VTI 50%
VXUS 25%
VNQ 12.5%
BND 12.5%

We passed the 500k net worth milestone July 2017, and passed our 1 million milestone for the first time in April 2019. So 3 years to 500k, 2 more years for 1 million, then an additional 2 years for 2 million. We couldn't have done it without all the help on this forum. Thank you.

At age 37 we are close to 25X expenses saved, so now we are needing to decide when enough is enough. Maybe at the 3 million milestone.
User avatar
calvin+hobbes
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:37 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by calvin+hobbes »

DarkNyte wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:11 pm At market close today finally crossed the 2 million net worth milestone today. I forgot to post when I passed the 500k and 1 million milestones so I'll make up for it today. We rent so all of our net worth is either in brokerage or retirement accounts.

I finished my last year of medical training in 2014 and had a net worth of negative 25k. I had been diligent in saving during residency and it helped to keep my debt low, but I knew nothing about diversified investing. I found this forum in 2014 and it really helped me to formulate a simple automated investing strategy and I am so thankful for all the investing knowledge shared in this forum. I decided on a simple 4 fund portfolio which has had the same asset allocation since I started index investing in 2014. This really helped me to stay the course, especially during turbulent times such as last year.

VTI 50%
VXUS 25%
VNQ 12.5%
BND 12.5%

We passed the 500k net worth milestone July 2017, and passed our 1 million milestone for the first time in April 2019. So 3 years to 500k, 2 more years for 1 million, then an additional 2 years for 2 million. We couldn't have done it without all the help on this forum. Thank you.

At age 37 we are close to 25X expenses saved, so now we are needing to decide when enough is enough. Maybe at the 3 million milestone.
Congratulations! About 7 years of practice and knocking on the door of financial independence. Sounds like your student loan burden was very manageable. What percentage of your gross have you saved every year? Is your partner a physician as well?

I finished training in 2018 at the age of 32. Hoping to hit FI in 3-4 years, and very, very comfortable FI in 5-6. Time flies.
User avatar
DarkNyte
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 10:15 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by DarkNyte »

calvin+hobbes wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:37 pm
DarkNyte wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:11 pm At market close today finally crossed the 2 million net worth milestone today. I forgot to post when I passed the 500k and 1 million milestones so I'll make up for it today. We rent so all of our net worth is either in brokerage or retirement accounts.

I finished my last year of medical training in 2014 and had a net worth of negative 25k. I had been diligent in saving during residency and it helped to keep my debt low, but I knew nothing about diversified investing. I found this forum in 2014 and it really helped me to formulate a simple automated investing strategy and I am so thankful for all the investing knowledge shared in this forum. I decided on a simple 4 fund portfolio which has had the same asset allocation since I started index investing in 2014. This really helped me to stay the course, especially during turbulent times such as last year.

VTI 50%
VXUS 25%
VNQ 12.5%
BND 12.5%

We passed the 500k net worth milestone July 2017, and passed our 1 million milestone for the first time in April 2019. So 3 years to 500k, 2 more years for 1 million, then an additional 2 years for 2 million. We couldn't have done it without all the help on this forum. Thank you.

At age 37 we are close to 25X expenses saved, so now we are needing to decide when enough is enough. Maybe at the 3 million milestone.
Congratulations! About 7 years of practice and knocking on the door of financial independence. Sounds like your student loan burden was very manageable. What percentage of your gross have you saved every year? Is your partner a physician as well?

I finished training in 2018 at the age of 32. Hoping to hit FI in 3-4 years, and very, very comfortable FI in 5-6. Time flies.
Our savings rate ramped up once my student loan debt and car debt was completed paid off, which was middle of 2016. After that our savings rate is 55 to 60% gross income, taxes 20%, and the remaining 20% for living expenses. We live in a VHCOL area in Southern California, so we could have saved more if we lived somewhere else, but we like where we are now. My wife is a stay at home mom for our two children. She recently started working part time for our church, but it's only around 10K a year, so 99% of all of the savings has come from one income.
Sasquatch1
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:19 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Sasquatch1 »

34.

Own out right two SFH rentals, worth around 300k on market combined. Around 20k cash flow per year from them

Own my house which is under contract though, sister bought so I didn't sell for profit. Break even and will get my 125k back. Big nice house but hurricane Issac flooded it out so bought for next to nothing, renovated and lived note free for 4 years. Worth 240ish on market now. (sister in good shape going forward)

Just bought another house for myself on mortgage. 20% down @ 250k price

Hit 550K in 401k. Salary around 150k yr OT depending

All in all including the equity in my new house, Worth around 1m.
User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 7926
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Stinky »

Sasquatch1 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:09 am 34.

Own out right two SFH rentals, worth around 300k on market combined. Around 20k cash flow per year from them

Own my house which is under contract though, sister bought so I didn't sell for profit. Break even and will get my 125k back. Big nice house but hurricane Issac flooded it out so bought for next to nothing, renovated and lived note free for 4 years. Worth 240ish on market now. (sister in good shape going forward)

Just bought another house for myself on mortgage. 20% down @ 250k price

Hit 550K in 401k. Salary around 150k yr OT depending

All in all including the equity in my new house, Worth around 1m.
Congratulations!

Keep saving and building wealth. $20k cash flow on $300k of properties is nice!
It's a GREAT day to be alive! - Travis Tritt
Sasquatch1
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:19 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Sasquatch1 »

Stinky wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:20 am
Sasquatch1 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:09 am 34.

Own out right two SFH rentals, worth around 300k on market combined. Around 20k cash flow per year from them

Own my house which is under contract though, sister bought so I didn't sell for profit. Break even and will get my 125k back. Big nice house but hurricane Issac flooded it out so bought for next to nothing, renovated and lived note free for 4 years. Worth 240ish on market now. (sister in good shape going forward)

Just bought another house for myself on mortgage. 20% down @ 250k price

Hit 550K in 401k. Salary around 150k yr OT depending

All in all including the equity in my new house, Worth around 1m.
Congratulations!

Keep saving and building wealth. $20k cash flow on $300k of properties is nice!

Thanks. Working on it, Have another SFH under contract right now that should pay my mortgage. Being note free affords for a lot of expendable income to invest/live a litte
Last edited by Sasquatch1 on Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aged Maduro
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:17 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Aged Maduro »

Age 42 and reached $3,000,000 in net worth:

Primary Residence - $290,000 (paid off)
Rental House 1 - $215,000 (paid off and yields $11,000/year)
Rental House 2 - $195,000 (paid off and yields $10,000/year)
Taxable Account - $2,070,000 (90% stocks 10% bonds)
Money Market - $30,000
Government Pension - $27,000 (will vest in two years)
Roth 457 - $15,000
529 Plan - $73,000
Personal Valuables - $95,000
Zero Debt

I am now diverting as much money as i can into Roth space and hope to retire early by the Age of 50.
Wannaretireearly
Posts: 1549
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Aged Maduro wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:36 am Age 42 and reached $3,000,000 in net worth:

Primary Residence - $290,000 (paid off)
Rental House 1 - $215,000 (paid off and yields $11,000/year)
Rental House 2 - $195,000 (paid off and yields $10,000/year)
Taxable Account - $2,070,000 (90% stocks 10% bonds)
Money Market - $30,000
Government Pension - $27,000 (will vest in two years)
Roth 457 - $15,000
529 Plan - $73,000
Personal Valuables - $95,000
Zero Debt

I am now diverting as much money as i can into Roth space and hope to retire early by the Age of 50.
Nice job! Looks like your all set for ER 👏
Death and taxes. Only one is under your control!
User avatar
ray.james
Posts: 1502
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:08 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by ray.james »

Sasquatch1 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:09 am 34.

Own out right two SFH rentals, worth around 300k on market combined. Around 20k cash flow per year from them

Own my house which is under contract though, sister bought so I didn't sell for profit. Break even and will get my 125k back. Big nice house but hurricane Issac flooded it out so bought for next to nothing, renovated and lived note free for 4 years. Worth 240ish on market now. (sister in good shape going forward)

Just bought another house for myself on mortgage. 20% down @ 250k price

Hit 550K in 401k. Salary around 150k yr OT depending

All in all including the equity in my new house, Worth around 1m.
That is impressive wealth building for the age and income. Congrats!
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
Tingting1013
Posts: 1454
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:44 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Tingting1013 »

Just hit $2M net worth. Two 35 year olds with two toddlers in the Bay Area.

Retirement accounts: $1.15M
Taxable index funds: $150k
Taxable company stock: $170k
529: $130k
Home equity: $300k net of sale transaction costs
Car equity: $65k
Cash: $35k
jarjarM
Posts: 1139
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:21 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by jarjarM »

Tingting1013 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:58 pm Just hit $2M net worth. Two 35 year olds with two toddlers in the Bay Area.

Retirement accounts: $1.15M
Taxable index funds: $150k
Taxable company stock: $170k
529: $130k
Home equity: $300k net of sale transaction costs
Car equity: $65k
Cash: $35k
Congrats :beer
User avatar
Toons
Posts: 14074
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Toons »

Financial Milestone Reached

Needs Are Met ,
With "Leftover"




:wink:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
User avatar
luminous
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:28 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by luminous »

Tingting1013 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:58 pm Just hit $2M net worth. Two 35 year olds with two toddlers in the Bay Area.

Retirement accounts: $1.15M
Taxable index funds: $150k
Taxable company stock: $170k
529: $130k
Home equity: $300k net of sale transaction costs
Car equity: $65k
Cash: $35k
Congratulations!

Wow, that is a LOT of car.
55/15/30 US stock/international stock/bonds. Hope to semi-retire in 2022.
Tingting1013
Posts: 1454
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:44 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Tingting1013 »

luminous wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:58 pm
Tingting1013 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:58 pm Just hit $2M net worth. Two 35 year olds with two toddlers in the Bay Area.

Retirement accounts: $1.15M
Taxable index funds: $150k
Taxable company stock: $170k
529: $130k
Home equity: $300k net of sale transaction costs
Car equity: $65k
Cash: $35k
Congratulations!

Wow, that is a LOT of car.
Thank you. And yes, we have decided to live a little.
User avatar
ray.james
Posts: 1502
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:08 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by ray.james »

Tingting1013 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:58 pm Just hit $2M net worth. Two 35 year olds with two toddlers in the Bay Area.

Retirement accounts: $1.15M
Taxable index funds: $150k
Taxable company stock: $170k
529: $130k
Home equity: $300k net of sale transaction costs
Car equity: $65k
Cash: $35k
Congratulations! Those retirement account will take off to multi-millions.
Any thoughts on slowing retirement contributions down to manage RMD's in future? I think we will be in same crossroads of decisions in 4 years.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
Tingting1013
Posts: 1454
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:44 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Tingting1013 »

ray.james wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:36 pm
Tingting1013 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:58 pm Just hit $2M net worth. Two 35 year olds with two toddlers in the Bay Area.

Retirement accounts: $1.15M
Taxable index funds: $150k
Taxable company stock: $170k
529: $130k
Home equity: $300k net of sale transaction costs
Car equity: $65k
Cash: $35k
Congratulations! Those retirement account will take off to multi-millions.
Any thoughts on slowing retirement contributions down to manage RMD's in future? I think we will be in same crossroads of decisions in 4 years.
Thanks.

I have given very little thought to RMDs as I expect to FIRE in my early 40s and start drawing down my retirement accounts via SEPP
baptpich
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 17, 2021 3:16 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by baptpich »

Hi everyone,
first post on the Bogleheads forum for me :)
I'm 29 and just crossed 1/2 million $ this week, I started investing and reading about finance in January 2020 as I moved to the US (bay area) from Europe.
Hoping to join the 2 commas club before end of 2023 :sharebeer
Last edited by baptpich on Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply