Suggestions for the Wiki

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
grok87

Re: Suggestions for the Wiki

Post by grok87 »

i just posted on reverse mortgages- so maybe HECM (Home equity conversion Mortgage) which is the federally insured type of reverse mortgage
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/h/hecm.asp
RIP Mr. Bogle.
Brofessor

Post by Brofessor »

Hello. Would anyone be willing to update the wiki article section "Approximating total international for TSP I for investors with access to a MSCI EAFE fund?" Or is the wiki article still accurate?

I utilize my employer's 401k which offers a Fidelity fund named Spartan Developed International Index Pool Class E. I utilize this Fidelity fund instead of the wiki articles suggestion of VDVIX. I believe these are both developed market index funds for international.

I can see why the article has not been updated since 2016 because at the bottom of the article there is a lot of explanation and nuance when it comes to approximating total international.

Thanks. Good luck. It is beyond my abilities.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Approxi ... ock_market
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Hi,

I looked at the page. It's not clear to me how to update this page, either. Instead, I took a stab at answering your 401(k) question here: Re: Wiki Article help: Approximating Total International
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

In the Bond basics article, there's a broken link to a non-existent ID on the page. The sentence after the first paragraph is "Note: Those looking for a "very basic" introduction to bonds should start with the tutorial at the bottom of this page." and "tutorial" links to "https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bond_basics#Tutorial".

Looking back at the article history, the "Tutorial" section was really just some links to various investopedia.com pages. Maybe one of those pages was an actual tutorial at the time? Hard to say.

Anyway I propose we remove the sentence "Note: Those looking for a "very basic" introduction to bonds should start with the tutorial at the bottom of this page." I don't think it needs a replacement. Thoughts?
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

sycamore wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:00 pm In the Bond basics article, there's a broken link to a non-existent ID on the page. The sentence after the first paragraph is "Note: Those looking for a "very basic" introduction to bonds should start with the tutorial at the bottom of this page." and "tutorial" links to "https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bond_basics#Tutorial".

Looking back at the article history, the "Tutorial" section was really just some links to various investopedia.com pages. Maybe one of those pages was an actual tutorial at the time? Hard to say.

Anyway I propose we remove the sentence "Note: Those looking for a "very basic" introduction to bonds should start with the tutorial at the bottom of this page." I don't think it needs a replacement. Thoughts?
I changed "tutorial" to a direct link to the basics of bonds article.
yoran

Post by yoran »

Hi,

I'm the creator of Backtest, the backtesting tool for European index investors. I built it to scratch my own itch at first. Other backtesting tools like Portfolio Visualizer or Portfolio Charts target US investors so couldn't backtest my portfolio, as the funds and ETFs available in Europe aren't always the same. Over time, as a result of user requests, I've added more and more funds and indexes. It now has about 220 indexes, representing about 680 funds. And this number is growing! I focus only on index funds and ETFs that are available to European investors.

As such, I would like to suggest Backtest to be added to the Tools and calculators page of the wiki. I think it'll be an addition for European Bogleheads visiting that page.

Thank you for considering,

Yoran
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

There is a request for a new wiki page here: [Wiki - Why isn't automatic investing a Bogleheads tenet?]
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

yoran wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:29 am Hi,

I'm the creator of Backtest, the backtesting tool for European index investors. I built it to scratch my own itch at first. Other backtesting tools like Portfolio Visualizer or Portfolio Charts target US investors so couldn't backtest my portfolio, as the funds and ETFs available in Europe aren't always the same. Over time, as a result of user requests, I've added more and more funds and indexes. It now has about 220 indexes, representing about 680 funds. And this number is growing! I focus only on index funds and ETFs that are available to European investors.

As such, I would like to suggest Backtest to be added to the Tools and calculators page of the wiki. I think it'll be an addition for European Bogleheads visiting that page.

Yoran
Done! Let me know if there any improvements you'd like to see.
yoran

Post by yoran »

sycamore wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:20 pm
yoran wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:29 am Hi,

Yoran
Done! Let me know if there any improvements you'd like to see.
Thanks a lot! The description is good to me.
dafioram

Post by dafioram »

1. On https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Highly_ ... d_employee its says a HCE is $139k but the reference given (IRS) says $130k. $139k is the Roth phase out.
2. How about we change https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/After-tax_401(k) to be "Mega Backdoor Roth" as the title? Mega Backdoor is a special case of after-tax and I think after-tax can also apply to other things such as variable deferred annuities (which go in after-tax for non-qualified). We could have a page just for after-tax which compares it against taxable investing as one example as to after-tax being a separate thing from mega backdoor.
3. I think in https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Rolling ... bond_funds under "Reasons for Choosing Declining or Constant Duration" it should include for "constant duration" that the return is usually greater than with a declining duration (higher durations have higher risk/return). The only reason cited there is that the future time horizon is unknown.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

dafioram wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:51 pm 1. On https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Highly_ ... d_employee its says a HCE is $139k but the reference given (IRS) says $130k. $139k is the Roth phase out.
Fixed.
Wiki David Grabiner
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

dafioram wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:51 pm 3. I think in https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Rolling ... bond_funds under "Reasons for Choosing Declining or Constant Duration" it should include for "constant duration" that the return is usually greater than with a declining duration (higher durations have higher risk/return). The only reason cited there is that the future time horizon is unknown.
You're referring to: Reasons for Choosing Declining or Constant Duration

Do you have any sources for your statement? Duration is a sensitivity of interest rate risk to price. I don't understand how this relates to bond returns and will defer to the experts.

I understand that long term bonds have a lot of volatility until they reach their maturity date, but I'm not comfortable updating this section of the wiki page.

Background: Understanding bond duration - Education | BlackRock
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

dafioram wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:51 pm 2. How about we change https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/After-tax_401(k) to be "Mega Backdoor Roth" as the title? Mega Backdoor is a special case of after-tax and I think after-tax can also apply to other things such as variable deferred annuities (which go in after-tax for non-qualified). We could have a page just for after-tax which compares it against taxable investing as one example as to after-tax being a separate thing from mega backdoor.
Thanks! Your suggestion is now in this thread: Wiki - "Mega backdoor Roth" vs. After-tax 401(k)

If you have any comments, please post in that thread.
dafioram

Post by dafioram »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:45 pm
dafioram wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:51 pm 3. I think in https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Rolling ... bond_funds under "Reasons for Choosing Declining or Constant Duration" it should include for "constant duration" that the return is usually greater than with a declining duration (higher durations have higher risk/return). The only reason cited there is that the future time horizon is unknown.
You're referring to: Reasons for Choosing Declining or Constant Duration

Do you have any sources for your statement? Duration is a sensitivity of interest rate risk to price. I don't understand how this relates to bond returns and will defer to the experts.

I understand that long term bonds have a lot of volatility until they reach their maturity date, but I'm not comfortable updating this section of the wiki page.

Background: Understanding bond duration - Education | BlackRock
Okay, the the first method is a declining duration and the latter is a fixed duration, its not explicitly stated but the implication is that the first method has a shorter duration than the fixed or at least a shorter one at some point. Next assertion is that longer duration has more risk and that risk is compensated with a greater return, but at the cost of more volatility.

The current verbiage in the section makes the declining duration sound better than the constant duration. I think adding the greater return possibility makes the trade between them more clear.

Someone else may want to comment on what I've said.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I wonder if it would be useful to have a "Most Viewed this week/month/quarter" list of Wiki articles or other statistics of the Wiki use.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sorry, but a "Most viewed" Wiki statistics would require a lot of work to implement and it is not practical to do so.