"Starting Out" Life Stage Chapter Master Thread

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Miriam2

"Starting Out" Life Stage Chapter Master Thread

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello all Bogleheads!

This is the master thread for the "Starting Out" stage of the new Bogleheads Life Stage Series!

The new Life Stage Chapters are geared towards personal finance issues and topics particularly relevant to a specific stage in our investing life, and are designed to complement the already existing geographic-based Bogleheads Chapters.

We sincerely thank Gail Cox for her tireless work in creating, organizing and coordinating these new chapters over these past months - no small feat, and all done with her characteristic upbeat, sunny outlook and smile, and her great organizational skills :happy

The "Starting Out" Life Stage mission: is to provide education and discussion on investing and personal finance topics geared towards novice investors of any age and young investors just getting started with their finances and careers.

Topics will include -
• Basics of investing & personal finance
• Bogleheads investing philosophy & Jack Bogle
• Asset allocation - assessing your risk tolerance, risk & return
• Costs matter - the impact of costs over time
• Creating & managing your portfolio, selecting funds, staying the course
• Budgeting & managing your money, insurance
• Long-term investing vs. market timing & stock-picking
• Saving & building wealth - compounding over time
• Basic taxes - for creating & managing your portfolio
• Roth conversions, back-door Roths, 401k & IRA rollovers
• Bear markets & recessions

Common new-investor issues we will cover -
-- Why do I have to save for retirement when I'm only in my 20's?
-- What - me worry? I'm 100% stocks and can handle any downturn!
-- What do I just do with this 401k list of funds so I can get on with my life?
-- I'm following my passion! but the salary is low & there's no 401k or health insurance.
-- We're only 26 - do we really need a will?
-- My brother-in-law is an insurance guy who has a good financial plan for us!
-- If I knew then what I know now - advice from senior Bogleheads.
-- Investing is a lifestyle - it's more than putting money in accounts, it's how you live your life.

Our meetings will be posted on this Master Thread. They will also be posted on the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events, the Bogleheads Life Stage Chapters thread, and on the Bogleheads Local Chapter threads hosting the meeting.

All Bogleheads are invited to all the meetings - we hope you will join us!

Your Starting Out Chapter Coordinators,
Gouri, Manny, Luke, Miriam2
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: "Starting Out" Life Stage Chapter Master Thread

Post by Miriam2 »

Our first "Starting Out" Life Stage Chapter presentation will feature Mike Piper on "Getting Started with Investing."

This will be an enjoyable interactive meeting on Zoom on Tuesday, April 6, 2021, at 8:00 pm EST

Mike is a CPA and well-known author of many articles and books on personal investing, taxes and social security, including his best-seller "Investing Made Simple," and other books in his "Made Simple" series, as well as the popular blog, ObliviousInvestor.com. He is extremely knowledgeable and a delightful presenter and Bogleheads favorite.

Mike will discuss and take your Q's on the basics of investing and personal finance, including:
-- stocks, bonds, mutual funds, ETF's, index funds vs. actively managed funds, target date funds, money market funds, CD's, etc.
-- types of accounts, asset classes
-- asset allocation, risk & return, diversification, creating portfolios
-- long term investing vs. market timing & stock-picking

Although the presentation is designed for novice investors of any age and beginning investors just starting out, all Bogleheads are welcome and encouraged to come and ask Q's and provide their own personal experience with these topics at different levels of investing :happy

To receive the zoom link for this presentation - go to the Bogleheads Virtual Online Chapter or to the South Florida Local Chapter or email SFLBogleheads@gmail.com or send me a PM.
Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

I've started Outline for starting out life stage in the wiki based on the first post. It links back to this topic via the Further reading section.

As the topic developers, the wiki article can be expanded and improved.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:20 pm I've started Outline for starting out life stage in the wiki based on the first post. It links back to this topic via the Further reading section.

As the topic developers, the wiki article can be expanded and improved.
Thank you Peculiar_Investor for getting us started in the wiki :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

The "Starting Out" chapter of the new Bogleheads Life Stage Series is happy to host its first presentation on Tues, April 6, 2021, at 8:00 pm EST.

This will be an enjoyable interactive meeting featuring Mike Piper on "Getting Started with Investing." Mike is a CPA and well-known author of many articles and books on personal investing, taxes and social security, including his best-seller, "Investing Made Simple."

Although our program is designed for novice investors and those starting out in their investing career, all Bogleheads are welcome to join us and ask Qs and provide their own personal experiences when they first "started out." 8-)

To receive the zoom link - go to the Bogleheads Virtual Online Chapter at virtualbogleheads@gmail.com, the San Antonio chapter at sanantoniobogleheads@gmail.com, or email the South Florida chapter at SFLBogleheads@gmail.com, or send me a PM (private message).
Last edited by Miriam2 on Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
daytona084

Post by daytona084 »

I assume you mean 8PM EDT not EST. Correct?
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

daytona084 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:55 pm I assume you mean 8PM EDT not EST. Correct?
Yes, it's actually EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) not EST (Eastern Standard Time)

The time zones are still an hour apart either way, however, unless you live in Arizona or Hawaii -and then you know what to do 8-)
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:42 pm The "Starting Out" chapter of the new Bogleheads Life Stage Series is happy to host its first presentation on Tues, April 6, 2021, at 8:00 pm EDT.

This will be an enjoyable interactive meeting featuring Mike Piper on "Getting Started with Investing." Mike is a CPA and well-known author of many articles and books on personal investing, taxes and social security, including his best-seller, "Investing Made Simple."

Although our program is designed for novice investors and those starting out in their investing career, all Bogleheads are welcome to join us and ask Qs and provide their own personal experiences when they first "started out." 8-)

To receive the zoom link - go to the Bogleheads Virtual Online Chapter at virtualbogleheads@gmail.com, the San Antonio chapter at sanantoniobogleheads@gmail.com, or email the South Florida chapter at SFLBogleheads@gmail.com, or send me a PM (private message).
Bumping this for visibility. If you're in the "starting out" stage, join us tomorrow night! Or, if one of your loved ones is just starting out, watch with them. It should be a fun discussion. :)
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

ObliviousInvestor wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:43 pm Bumping this for visibility. If you're in the "starting out" stage, join us tomorrow night! Or, if one of your loved ones is just starting out, watch with them. It should be a fun discussion. :)
Thank you Mike, we're looking forward to your presentation tonight!
ObliviousInvestor

Thanks again for the discussion this evening. It was a pleasure as always to meet with a Bogleheads group. As promised, the slides are below, in PowerPoint or pdf format. Feel free to distribute or reuse them as you please.

https://obliviousinvestor.com/wp-conten ... esting.pdf
https://obliviousinvestor.com/wp-conten ... sting.pptx
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

ObliviousInvestor wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:30 pm Thanks again for the discussion this evening. It was a pleasure as always to meet with a Bogleheads group. As promised, the slides are below, in PowerPoint or pdf format. Feel free to distribute or reuse them as you please.

Great informative presentation, Mike!
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

ObliviousInvestor wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:30 pm Thanks again for the discussion this evening. It was a pleasure as always to meet with a Bogleheads group. As promised, the slides are below, in PowerPoint or pdf format. Feel free to distribute or reuse them as you please.

The PDF has been added to the wiki Outline for starting out life stage article in the External links section.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I should point out that our sister Canadian wiki, finiki, the Canadian financial wiki, has already developed Life Stage outlines.

This is a collaborative effort of the Canadian editors, Peculiar_Investor is an admin for both the Bogleheads and Canadian wikis. The current articles are:
Please feel free to use these articles as guides.

The Bogleheads investment philosophy is world-wide. You don't need Vanguard to do it.

Our sister Canadian forum, Financial Wisdom Forum, has been following this investment philosophy without Vanguard and has been around longer than the Bogleheads forum.

Disclaimer: I'm a member of both forums and am a wiki admin for both the Bogleheads and Canadian wikis.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
kd2008

Post by kd2008 »

Slide 31 - Can this info be adjusted for current treasury yields? Is there a way? There is practically zero chance that a 100% bond portfolio will have 6% annual return going forward at current yields.

Avg. Annual Return Worst Calendar Year
(1926 – 2019)

100% bonds 6.0% -8.1% (1969)
80% bonds, 20% stocks 7.1% -10.1% (1931)
70% bonds, 30% stocks 7.7% -14.2% (1931)
60% bonds, 40% stocks 8.1% -18.4% (1931)
50% bonds, 50% stocks 8.6% -22.5% (1931)
40% bonds, 60% stocks 9.0% -26.6% (1931)
30% bonds, 70% stocks 9.4% -30.7% (1931)
20% bonds, 80% stocks 9.7% -34.9% (1931)
100% stocks 10.2% -43.1% (1931)
ObliviousInvestor

kd2008 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:28 pm Slide 31 - Can this info be adjusted for current treasury yields? Is there a way? There is practically zero chance that a 100% bond portfolio will have 6% annual return going forward at current yields.
The data is just historical data. It's not intended to be a projection of any sort.

If you're looking for projections, Vanguard puts out a document each year. Below is the 2021 edition. You can find their projections for various asset categories in Figures II-5 and II-6 on pages 38 and 40. Note that the projections are nominal and that their inflation projection is also included in the figure on page 40.
https://pressroom.vanguard.com/nonindex ... 120920.pdf
kd2008

Post by kd2008 »

ObliviousInvestor wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:47 pm
kd2008 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:28 pm Slide 31 - Can this info be adjusted for current treasury yields? Is there a way? There is practically zero chance that a 100% bond portfolio will have 6% annual return going forward at current yields.
The data is just historical data. It's not intended to be a projection of any sort.

If you're looking for projections, Vanguard puts out a document each year. Below is the 2021 edition. You can find their projections for various asset categories in Figures II-5 and II-6 on pages 38 and 40. Note that the projections are nominal and that their inflation projection is also included in the figure on page 40.
https://pressroom.vanguard.com/nonindex ... 120920.pdf
Got it. Thank you.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Thank you, Mike, for a an excellent "Getting Started with Investing" presentation :happy

Of the many important lessons you pointed out, this one resonated with me: "There is no perfect portfolio. There are plenty of good-enough portfolios that will get you where you want to be and where you want to go. There is no best fund either. There are plenty of good, low cost funds, especially index funds, that will serve your purpose well."

This, of course, comes after I spent my pre-Bogle lifetime trying to create the perfect portfolio with the most perfect funds (or stocks :mrgreen:
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: "Starting Out" Life Stage Chapter Master Thread- Next meeting Paul Merriman 5/3/21

Post by Miriam2 »

Our next "Starting Out" Life Stage Chapter meeting will be on Mon. May 3, 2021, at 7:00 pm ET and is hosted by the Indiana Bogleheads Chapter.

This is an exciting meeting featuring Paul Merriman, a well-known financial writer and delightful speaker with lots to talk about :D

Paul's topic is: "We're Talking Millions!" :moneybag He will have a 1-1/2 hour presentation followed by a 30 min open Q & A session.

Paul's presentation will focus on the age 20-40 demographic, those most involved in the accumulation phase of their investing journey. However, all Life Stages will benefit from this presentation, and we have asked Paul to spend some time specifically on portfolio creation for the "Starting Out" stage of young investors.

Presentation Outline:
  • Ultimate Buy and Hold Strategy
  • Simpler Strategy: 4 Funds for Life
  • Using these strategies with Vanguard, Charles Schwab, Fidelity, and T. Rowe Price.
  • Best in Class Funds
  • 2 Funds for life Strategy
  • Fine-tuning tables discussing strategies above using historical data from 1970-2020.
  • Basic overview of the importance of choosing your Distribution Strategy in retirement Fixed Income Strategy vs Variable Strategy.
Paul wants to stress how much an extra ½ of a percent return can greatly increase the amount of wealth building power you have in your portfolio over a lifetime of investing. In this presentation, he will discuss "value based" investing strategies that he believes can potentially increase your wealth building power with some simple changes to your asset allocation. This meeting is co-hosted by The Merriman Financial Education Foundation.

To register for this meeting -
Join the Bogleheads Forum in order to provide your Bogleheads’ username and then fill out the registration form to be added to the event distribution list.

Meeting Sign-up Form: We’re Talking Millions! Event Registration - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link

If you would like to add this event to your Calendar: We're Talking Millions Event Reminder - https://calendar.google.com/event?

For further information about Paul Merriman and the Merriman Financial Education Foundation, and for links to articles and podcasts with information relevant to the presentation that will be given on May 3rd, please go to the hosting chapter Indiana Bogleheads chapter post HERE.

For the zoom link - email SFLBogleheads@gmail.com or PM me here on the forum.

Please let us know if you have any questions :happy
Gouri, Manny, Luke, Miriam2
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

The Starting Out Chapter enjoyed last night's presentation with Paul Merriman and Chris Pedersen - many useful suggestions for young investors building their portfolios and building their working & investing life :happy

Some of the important take-aways for young investors are Paul's discussion of -
-- the "phenomenal impact early savings" - the first 5 years of savings are critical for building the foundation for compound growth for the rest of your investing life
-- you need to realize you are actually building your own retirement "pension" now when you are young
-- stocks are the gas of your portfolio and bonds are the bricks
-- stocks are riskier in the short term, but give you the gas for long term investing
-- the importance of index funds to provide more return due to lower expenses - and because they are dependable
-- the use of small cap value investing to increase the potential of lifetime returns, but the difficulty of staying the course with it
-- investing involves "so much emotion" :mrgreen:
-- your portfolio won't be exciting for the first 10 years or so because it's all about your contributions - after that, it gets exciting as your portfolio does things (makes you $$ :D

Thank you, Paul and Chris, for spending the evening with the Bogleheads!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: "Starting Out" Life Stage Chapter- Next Meeting Allan Roth 5/20/21 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Our next Starting Out Life Stage Chapter meeting is on Thursday, May 20, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET

This will be an online presentation by Allan Roth hosted by the San Antonio Bogleheads Chapter.

This will be an enjoyable interactive meeting on Zoom with ample time for Q & A on all personal finance topics.

Although Allan's presentation will be valuable to all investors, beginners to experienced, we have asked Allan to spend some time specifically geared to the "Starting Out" stage of young investors.

The San Antonio Chapter is also collecting Qs ahead of the meeting if you wish to submit Qs to their website - SanAntonioBogleheads@gmail.com.

Allan is an MBA, CPA, CFP, and is extremely knowledgeable and a delightful presenter and Bogleheads favorite. He has been on the Panel of Experts at the Bogleheads Conferences for many years.

Here is some more information about Allan -
-- well-known author of "How a Second Grader Beats Wall Street"
-- financial website Wealth Logic/Dare to be Dull - www.DareToBeDull.com/overviewbio/
-- guest on Rick Ferri's "Bogleheads On Investing Podcast" - Episode 008

To receive the zoom link for this presentation, email SFLBogleheads@gmail.com, or the SanAntonioBogleheads@gmail.com, or send me a PM. Please also check the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events - zoom links are often posted on the calendar.

Hope everyone can join us for the meeting :happy
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sat May 15, 2021 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The meeting time was off by an hour in the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events.

Readers are accustomed to seeing meeting times in their own time zone. Since these notices span several time zones, I have corrected the San Antonio time zone in the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events.

To the meeting organizers: It is helpful to show more than one time zone so it's clear on exactly when the meeting starts. I have added the following to the meeting event and suggest that responses by email do likewise.

8 PM Eastern
7 PM Central
6 PM Mountain
5 PM Pacific

Meetings are open to anyone world-wide in any time zone.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: "Starting Out" Life Stage- Ron Lieber presentation 6/5/21

Post by Miriam2 »

The next Bogleheads Speaker Series presentation will be very interesting for young people - or anyone college bound or in-college-debt.

Saturday, June 5, 2021, 1:00 pm ET - Ron Lieber speaking with Rick Ferri on "The Price You Pay for College"

Click HERE to register for the presentation.
Bogle Center wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:26 pm The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy is pleased to present the next event in the Bogleheads Speaker Series!

Saturday, June 5, 2021, 1 p.m. eastern time: Bogleheads Speaker Series: Ron Lieber speaking with Rick Ferri on preparing for college

New York Times financial columnist and author Ron Lieber’s new book, The Price You Pay for College, provides a roadmap to help families navigate the often difficult and confusing journey of preparing for college. In this discussion with Rick Ferri, Ron will touch on the most important college-planning topics, from choosing the right school to figuring out the right ways to save, borrow, and bargain for a better deal.

Please note that the first and last name entered during registration will be displayed for those who participate in the live chat during the event. Feel free to use an alias if you aren’t comfortable with having your name displayed in the chat.

The Bogleheads Speaker Series is provided free of charge. Please consider a tax-deductible contribution to the Bogle Center to help offset our costs and continue with this and other educational programs. The event will be recorded and posted to the Bogle Center’s website.

The Bogle Center Board
www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=349944