Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
mjadas

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019!

Post by mjadas » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:14 am

After about 27 years working in IT at the university, my last day was Aug 15, 2019. Age 46. It was a little soul-crushing the last few years, so I'm very happy to leave it behind. It'll be nice to have computers/programming/etc back as a hobby!

With accumulated leave I'll be on payroll through early next year. After that I have enough to cover expenses until I start the pension in 2030, but I wouldn't be surprised if I do a little part-time work or start a small business along the way.

Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:01 pm

Rick60 wrote: Perhaps odd that this is my first post in the forum, but I retired in June 2019 following 32 years in law enforcement, the last 5 as Chief of Police in a south Texas city of about 30,000. It was a rewarding career . . .
__ Jun - Rick06 <<== Welcome to the Class!!

and Welcome to the Bogleheads!

Well deserved congratulations Chief on your rewarding career and joining this Most Distinguished Retirement Class :D

We appreciate your dedicated service. It feels good to retire from a worthwhile job.

Did you tell your fellow officers you were a Boglehead? They probably thought the Chief has gone looney and needs to retire :mrgreen:
Rick60 wrote:. . . and, although the pay in a government position will never approach the compensation for a similar private sector position, the pension from a well-funded system makes up a lot of investment ground. I'm not really sure that I will stop working, so there may be more job income still to be had, but it was important to me that I not retire until I could continue saving and investing into retirement. That accomplished, I am enjoying Mondays and planning on making use of the collective financial intellect here to help make the next season as rewarding as the prior ones have been!
Very nice, thank you for sharing your retirement story. We hope you continue to enjoy your well-deserved stress-free Mondays and all the good times retirement brings you. :D

Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:30 pm

Barsoom wrote:
Barsoom wrote: My plan is to retire in July 2019.
I'll be 60, with 38 years of service at Megacorp.
Last day was Monday. I'm now off the payroll forever!
-B
Congratulations Barsoom on punching out of Megacorp!

Must be quite a culture shock to go from spending 40-plus hours every week for almost 4 decades at Megacorp, then to wake up the next morning and realize there's a whole other world out there, running on a different time to different places with different companions . . .

We added you to this great Roll Call - please let us know what your future plans are 8-)

Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:19 pm

TravelforFun wrote: Last day at work today. Head of HR called this morning and asked me to come to her office at 3:30 PM to sign some paperwork.
Oohh - what a sneaky one - lol 8-) She knew how to handle you, and you fell for it :D
TravelforFun wrote:Arrived at the requested time and was led to the HR conference room where a roomful of people were waiting. There were colorful balloons, festive banners, cakes, cookies, punch, and coffee for all to enjoy, and gifts for me. Needless to say, speeches were made but all was good.
Perfect! What a nice story. We all wondered how you were just going to slip out in the dead of night - after all the good work you did for them all these years, there was NO WAY they were just going to let you slip out without a well-deserved, heart-felt, happy and cheerful send-off :D

TravelforFun wrote:Getting on a plane tomorrow for Puerto Vallarta.
Wonderful way to begin your next adventure in life. Now you're really traveling for fun :sharebeer Please don't forget about us, let us know where you are and about all the fabulous new experiences you and your family have. We wish you a long and happy retirement :D

Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:55 am

mjadas wrote: After about 27 years working in IT at the university, my last day was Aug 15, 2019. Age 46. It was a little soul-crushing the last few years, so I'm very happy to leave it behind. It'll be nice to have computers/programming/etc back as a hobby!

With accumulated leave I'll be on payroll through early next year. After that I have enough to cover expenses until I start the pension in 2030, but I wouldn't be surprised if I do a little part-time work or start a small business along the way.
15 Aug - mjadas (46) <<== Welcome to the Class!!

Enjoy your freedom playing with your computers, but I suspect you'll be very busy fixing personal computers for everyone in the family, in your neighborhood, and in your town :D "First - is your computer plugged in?" "Second - is your computer turned on?" Could be the makings of a nice small business :idea:

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:32 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:53 pm
soundwave wrote: December 2019! I've been working a phased out retirement since 2015 & have decided that this is my year (at age 66).

The phased plan has worked well for my transition into more personal time, rather than waking up and thinking "now what?"

Many thanks to the Bogleheads sharing their wisdom...so helpful in sorting out my own thoughts 8-)
Hi soundwave,

Nice to hear your phase-out retirement plan worked so well, now you're phasing-into retirement! Please share with us how you sorted out your thoughts :idea:

You're on the Roll Call and the updated list will be published as soon as we can after later :D
Update: FULLY RETIRED! I moved my December 2019 date up to August 2019.

As for "sorting out my own thoughts", I've always been able to justify paying for added adventures or un-budgeted items by simply adding "one more shift". Easy to do in the healthcare field. It's the trading time for money concept and, if the purchase was worth it to me, I embraced this concept.

As I approached my retirement, the "one more shift" mindset had to go. The Bogleheads helped me realize that I could afford my modest but totally adequate (with adventure built in) lifestyle using only my eggs without disassembling my nest.

After being a saver for all of my adult life it was a challenge to even think about spending a dime of my investments & earnings. I know...dimes that I had diligently saved to spend in retirement :oops: :idea:
"Go placidly amid the noise and the haste..." Epictecus

wamom

Post by wamom » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:46 pm

Hello Bogleheads, On bike camping trip in San Juan Islands and my last day of work is this Friday after 35 years as an optometrist at a Seattle based HMO. I am grateful to this community for advice and information to make this possible. We could have retired a few years ago, but waited for our youngest to have a job with health insurance. We will need health insurance for 4 yrs before Medicare, but have planned for it. We hope to spend lots of time hiking and traveling!

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:45 am

I have received my final paycheck and am happily off the rolls with my FORMER employer, the US Government! Retirement number one was from the Army 11 years ago and now I have completed my short 11 year and 2 months as a federal employee with the Department of Defense. 34 years total for my “careers,” and a couple of pensions which don’t hurt.

I enjoyed the first career more than the second but they were both very rewarding and I was very lucky to have worked with the people I worked with and to have worked on some really interesting policy changes during my second gig.

My lovely wife asked if I felt any different now that it’s all over and I had to admit that it still hasn’t sunk in, but then again I’ve been very busy with work on our horse/hobby farm and haven’t had much time to ponder it all. We love our small farm and beautiful new home and I’m sure when things slow down this winter, I can sit in front of a fire and smile to myself. In the meantime I will be taking her to a celebration dinner next week and we are going to our first Georgia Football game this Saturday in about 10 years and we have season tickets so many more to come!

This forum was of great help to me in putting together the plan which helped make my short stint as a GS worker as short as it was and I am grateful for the posters who share their knowledge. From this forum I was able to put together an actionable plan as I started my second career which got us here today. We had no retirement savings to speak of 11 years ago, but will now have a fantastic standard of living in a beautiful part of our great country. So thanks to all!

Go Dawgs and Go Retirement!

PhysicianOnFIRE

Post by PhysicianOnFIRE » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:26 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:03 pm
PhysicianOnFIRE wrote: Leif Dahleen, 43.

My last shift ends Monday, August 12th, 2019 when I am relieved from call duties as an anesthesiologist at 0600.

I don't know if "retired" will be the best term to describe what I'm up to, but I do believe I will be retired from medicine. I'll continue to be a husband and a father to two boys, and will maintain a website to chronicle our post-FIRE adventures.

Cheers! :beer
Leif
12 Aug - PhysicianOnFire (43) <<== Welcome to the Class!!

Congratulation PhysicianOnFIRE! We're honored to have such a famous classmate! We all enjoy your blog and writings about finance and preparing for retirement :D and now we'll all find out whether you planned and prepared properly - or it's back to the on-call emergency room for you :P

And as I'm sure you are aware - there's no relaxing when you have two boys, and wait till they find out the world is full of girls - lol :mrgreen:

Taylor enjoys your writings and you have written about the Three Fund Portfolio.

:?: Q - as a young retiree, how have you arranged your retirement portfolio? to handle expenses, to handle emergencies, to bridge the gap until Medicare and Social Security, to handle long term care, and what about this dang inverted yield curve?? :annoyed
Thank you, Miriam2. Glad to have you in the class!

We're looking forward to traveling the world with our boys. We've got 2 months in Ecuador this fall and 2 months in Spain just after the holidays.

My portfolio and drawdown strategy are detailed in blog posts on my site -- I am not allowed to link to them, but the search function on my site makes them easy to find. I've got a 457(b) and large taxable account to get me to 59.5 and beyond.

We'll be self-insured for LTC and will be paying the rack rate for an ACA Bronze HSA plan for medical insurance.

The yield curve inversion issue -- my guess is as good as yours!

:beer
-PoF

Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:54 am

soundwave wrote: Update: FULLY RETIRED! I moved my December 2019 date up to August 2019.

As for "sorting out my own thoughts", I've always been able to justify paying for added adventures or un-budgeted items by simply adding "one more shift". Easy to do in the healthcare field. It's the trading time for money concept and, if the purchase was worth it to me, I embraced this concept.

As I approached my retirement, the "one more shift" mindset had to go. The Bogleheads helped me realize that I could afford my modest but totally adequate (with adventure built in) lifestyle using only my eggs without disassembling my nest.

After being a saver for all of my adult life it was a challenge to even think about spending a dime of my investments & earnings. I know...dimes that I had diligently saved to spend in retirement :oops: :idea:
Congratulations soundwave! Always nice to move up our retirement date :happy

Thank you for sharing how you sorted out your thoughts on retiring. I like the visual imagery: "I could afford my modest but totally adequate (with adventure built in) lifestyle using only my eggs without disassembling my nest."

Where is your first adventure going to be?

Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:50 pm

wamom wrote: On bike camping trip in San Juan Islands and my last day of work is this Friday after 35 years as an optometrist at a Seattle based HMO. I am grateful to this community for advice and information to make this possible. We could have retired a few years ago, but waited for our youngest to have a job with health insurance. We will need health insurance for 4 yrs before Medicare, but have planned for it. We hope to spend lots of time hiking and traveling!
You're on the list, wamom! Welcome to this awesome Retirement Class 8-)

As an optometrist and a nature hiker with new-found freedom, you might enjoy this:

"Just as the hand, held before the eye, can hide the tallest mountain, so the routine of everyday life can keep us from seeing the vast radiance and the secret wonders that fill the earth." (Chasidic, 18th Century)

Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:04 pm

3504PIR wrote: I have received my final paycheck and am happily off the rolls with my FORMER employer, the US Government! Retirement number one was from the Army 11 years ago and now I have completed my short 11 year and 2 months as a federal employee with the Department of Defense. 34 years total for my “careers,” and a couple of pensions which don’t hurt.

I enjoyed the first career more than the second but they were both very rewarding and I was very lucky to have worked with the people I worked with and to have worked on some really interesting policy changes during my second gig.

My lovely wife asked if I felt any different now that it’s all over and I had to admit that it still hasn’t sunk in, but then again I’ve been very busy with work on our horse/hobby farm and haven’t had much time to ponder it all. We love our small farm and beautiful new home and I’m sure when things slow down this winter, I can sit in front of a fire and smile to myself. In the meantime I will be taking her to a celebration dinner next week and we are going to our first Georgia Football game this Saturday in about 10 years and we have season tickets so many more to come!

This forum was of great help to me in putting together the plan which helped make my short stint as a GS worker as short as it was and I am grateful for the posters who share their knowledge. From this forum I was able to put together an actionable plan as I started my second career which got us here today. We had no retirement savings to speak of 11 years ago, but will now have a fantastic standard of living in a beautiful part of our great country. So thanks to all!

Go Dawgs and Go Retirement!
Great story, 3504PIR, and many thanks for posting your journey to retirement! We share your excitement and hope you have a long, wonderful, action-packed retirement and a great football season with those Dawgs 8-)

Here's a flag for your new home (just hope no Gators crawl by and chew it up :mrgreen:

Last edited by Miriam2 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:09 pm

Congrats to all retirees! :beer
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!"

Tracker968

Post by Tracker968 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:14 pm

Retired April 1st 2019 after 39 years at megacorp. Many people take their earned vacation and leave a week or two early. Instead I didn't take any vacation in Q1 since I figure that I'll be on vacation for the rest of my life! Got a nice vacation pay paycheck. Also have a decent pension but w/o COLA.

Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:24 pm

Tracker968 wrote: Retired April 1st 2019 after 39 years at megacorp. Many people take their earned vacation and leave a week or two early. Instead I didn't take any vacation in Q1 since I figure that I'll be on vacation for the rest of my life! Got a nice vacation pay paycheck. Also have a decent pension but w/o COLA.
Wow! Retiring after 39 years at Megacorp! Our big congratulations on a very well-deserved retirement!

We're adding you to the Roll Call. Enjoy the rest of your life vacation and please let us know where you're going and what you're doing 8-)

Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:29 pm

It's hurricane season - trying to update this Awesome Retirement Roll Call in between hurricanes :mrgreen:

Let me know your retirement date and age and we'll add you to the list.

Currently we have 62 graduates. Best wishes to all those who have retired!

Happy Graduates!
01 Jan - Tzoellner (60)
02 Jan - bhsince87
05 Jan - Canoesmith
09 Jan - JonnyBeRetired (56)
11 Jan - Tycoon (55)
12 Jan - InMyDreams
15 Jan - David Jay (62)
15 Jan - cyclist (62)
__ Jan - doneat53
__ Jan - Osprey
__ Jan - cogitan

01 Feb - dskelcy (62)
01 Feb - CFOKevin (58)
15 Feb - falconsfan (60)

29 Mar - Xelah (58)
29 Mar - bluelight (62)
__ Mar - Kcr8n (60)
__ Mar - Amirbb (62)

01 Apr - Tracker968
05 Apr - kacang
05 Apr - MLColorado (65)
30 Apr - BoomXer (61)
__ Apr - oldmotos (64)

10 May - Vagabondette (44)
10 May - DartThrower
16 May - saddle_tramp
17 May - K72
17 May - sf64 (54)
31 May - dknightd
31 May - L8rboys (60)
__ May - kjsammy (65)

01 Jun - OregonDucksFan (49)
25 Jun - Goodmand3 (75)
26 Jun - nesdog (65)
28 Jun - peppers
28 Jun - pennywise
28 Jun - jimmyq (52)
__ Jun - Luv2Perform
__ Jun - psrobinson (67)
__ Jun - Rick60
__ Jun/Jul - Zonian59 (60)

01 Jul - walterbird
01 Jul - lacseul (67)
01 Jul - jdv01
04 Jul - Cardinalsfan (60)
05 Jul - frugalminded
07 Jul - Lakinui
10 Jul - GeMoney (55)
11 Jul - Bronco Billy
26 Jul - peetsperk (62)
31 Jul - Castanea_d (mid-60's)
__ Jul - MROCTOBER (62)
__ Jul - Barsoom (60)
__ Jul - Spindrift (57)

12 Aug - PhysicianOnFIRE (43)
15 Aug - mjadas (46)
16 Aug - TravelforFun (67)
16 Aug - 3504PIR
__ Aug - spearo
__ Aug - dayzero
__ Aug - soundwave (66)

06 Sep - wamom

Graduating Soon! - Getting ready for the big adventure :D
30 Sep - Cipro
__ Sep - Barefootgirl
__ Sep - Punta Cana DR (57)

21 Nov - chevre (69)

13 Dec - Rus In Urbe
27 Dec - user9532 (63)
30 Dec - eldinerocheapo
31 Dec - Castanea_d (mid-60's)

__ retire2022 (62?)

The Infinity Retirement Class :wink:
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

:sharebeer

Godot

Post by Godot » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:34 pm

retire2022 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:53 pm
All, a couple of weeks ago, I am throwing in the towel and expect to retire at the end of this year.

32 years working state and city government, and high traditional 457b 1.0 million, net worth 2.1 million, Roth IRA account 420K, No kids, no spouse, expenses are approx 25K.

I've calculated that my RMD will be higher at 70.5 than while working. Social Security won't be tapped until 70, because payout will be 3100 vs 1799 at 62. My medical plan will be covered from sick time unspent.

I need to pad my checking account and apply for construction loan before I put in my retirement papers for my vacation home.

Wish me luck
You have only 80X expenses. Going to be nip and tuck for you. Think about working another ten years.
“There is man in his entirety, blaming his shoe when his foot is guilty.” ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:51 pm

Godot wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:34 pm
retire2022 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:53 pm
All, a couple of weeks ago, I am throwing in the towel and expect to retire at the end of this year.

32 years working state and city government, and high traditional 457b 1.0 million, net worth 2.1 million, Roth IRA account 420K, No kids, no spouse, expenses are approx 25K.

I've calculated that my RMD will be higher at 70.5 than while working. Social Security won't be tapped until 70, because payout will be 3100 vs 1799 at 62. My medical plan will be covered from sick time unspent.

I need to pad my checking account and apply for construction loan before I put in my retirement papers for my vacation home.

Wish me luck
You have only 80X expenses. Going to be nip and tuck for you. Think about working another ten years.
Nip and tuck. Haha. He got infinite X because his expenses are less than his SS.

TravelforFun

Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:08 pm

"There's one thing I've always wanted to do before I quit. Retire."

(Groucho Marx in "Animal Crackers")

We are happy to announce that the Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2020 is open :D

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=282012

retired redhead

Post by retired redhead » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:36 pm

June 2019 So far so good.