Sacramento, CA Area Chapter - Master Thread

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
digarei

Re: Sacramento, CA Area Chapter - Master Thread

Post by digarei »

• • •
.... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

.... Knowing Yourself,

.... Finding the thing that works

.... Cascading Asset Allocation

.... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

If you're a reader of this forum and reside in Sacramento or the surrounding area you owe it to
yourself to check us out. We're a group of friendly people who enjoy talking about retirement,
personal finance and investing and you're welcome to join us.

ALL: Read the first post to see the full agenda for our meeting scheduled on September 10, 2016.

. • Send an email with the info requested (in first post) to: Sacramento.Bogleheads@gmail.com

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
MEMBERS: Please respond to the RSVP email
so that we can provide a count to our host.

RSVP soon... must be rcv'd on or before 9/6

------------------------------------------------------
For more information or to reserve a seat,
  • click on the link below...
Sac Area Bogleheads - Frequently Asked Questions
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.
Topic Author
digarei

Post by digarei »

. ...
This thread has been updated with essential information about Sacramento Area Bogleheads' next meeting on October 8.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Read the first post to learn what has been scheduled for the months of October and November 2016.

If you're a reader of this forum and reside in Sacramento or the surrounding area you owe it to yourself to check us out.
We're a group of friendly people who enjoy talking about personal finance and investing and you're welcome to join us.

• Send an email with the info requested (see first post) to: Sacramento.Bogleheads@gmail.com
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.
Topic Author
digarei

Post by digarei »

. ...

John C. Bogle, signing books at the Bogleheads XV Conference 2016

. ...
First impressions of the Bogleheads conference at the next Sacramento Area Bogleheads meeting: October 8.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Read this post to wrangle an invitation... all are welcome!

• • •
Topic Author
digarei

Sacramento BH's 20th Consecutive Meeting 11/12

Post by digarei »

• • •
• • •

• ------------------------------------------------------
      Investing is Risky Business!

Measuring & Mitigating Investment Risk

Next meeting: November 12, 2016   

<-- INSERT TICKET HERE -->

— PLACE YOUR BET —

.. Gate Time.......10:30 AM
      .. No Refunds • No Loitering
To reserve a seat:

Include the following:

• a.  [First Last] Name
    b.  [Forum] User name
    c.  e-mail address
    d.  phone number
    e.  City

.. N O R I S K • N O R E T U R N   

Northern California's most accessible Bogleheads meet every month... in Sacramento.
Topic Author
digarei

Post by digarei »

. ...
This thread has been updated with essential information about Sacramento Area Bogleheads' next meeting on Dec 10.

Read the first post to learn what has (or has not) been scheduled for December 2016 and January 2017.

If you're a reader of this forum and reside in Sacramento or the surrounding area you owe it to yourself to check us out.
We're a group of friendly people who enjoy talking about personal finance and investing and you're welcome to join us.

• Send an email with the info requested (see first post) to: Sacramento.Bogleheads@gmail.com
Topic Author
digarei

Post by digarei »

. ...
Today is the last day to reserve a seat at the next meeting of Sacramento Area Bogleheads on Dec 10.

Topic Author
digarei

Post by digarei »

REMINDER ..

Sacramento Bogleheads meets this Saturday at 10:30 AM
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
.... Rain or shine! .. bring your galoshes and an umbrella
Topic Author
digarei

Post by digarei »

It's cold, Cold, COLD! ..

Warm yourself by hanging out with like-minded investors for two hours on January 7 to discuss this year's proposed topics; watch an interview with an acclaimed financial advisor as he sits in the stern of a canoe; listen to a member's dissection of one of the most hallowed investment texts; and learn from other members what you should do if there's another financial meltdown. If that's not enough to get the circulation going, enjoy the lunch that immediately follows ~ this month's trek is a short one: KUPROS on 21st street, Midtown Sacramento
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
For more information, click here: .. Meeting Announcement

........ ......... ........ ............. This time it IS different... FIRST Saturday of the month

Topic Author
digarei

Post by digarei »

ART, TOPICS, & Barry Ritholtz in a Canoe. ..

• • •

........ ......... ........ ............. This time IS different... FIRST Saturday of the month
Topic Author
digarei

Post by digarei »

S a c r a m e n t o   A r e a   B o g l e h e a d s
Sacramento Bogleheads
Local Chapter #61

~ SABH Members ~

If you haven't yet replied to the RSVP request and plan to attend the February 11 meeting (this Saturday), please do so as soon as possible. For agenda details, see the first post in this thread or the Meeting Announcement.

To date, we have 20 confirmed for Saturday's meeting.

Apologies to non-members: Reservations are CLOSED for the February meeting due to being at or very close to room capacity but you can obtain information about future meetings by reading the first post and responding. Thanks!

Topic: "Awaiting the Bear"
Topic Author
digarei

Sacramento BH's 24th consecutive meeting 3/11

Post by digarei »

. ...
This thread has been updated with essential information about Sacramento Area Bogleheads' next meeting on Mar 11.

Read the first post to learn about the topics scheduled for March 2017.

Topic Author
digarei

Post by digarei »

. ...
Today is the last day to reserve a seat at the next meeting of Sacramento Area Bogleheads on Mar 11.

Topic Author
digarei

Post by digarei »

Sacramento Area Bogleheads' 2nd Anniversary

This thread has been updated with essential information about Sacramento Area Bogleheads' next meeting on Apr 8.

Read the first post to learn about the topics scheduled for April 2017.

Topic Author
digarei

Post by digarei »

This thread has been updated with essential information about Sacramento Area Bogleheads' next meeting on May 13.

See the first post to learn about each of the topics scheduled for May 2017 and recommended pre-event reading.

If you're a member of this forum and reside in Sacramento or the surrounding area you owe it to yourself to check us out.

• Send an email with the info requested (in first post) to: Sacramento.Bogleheads@gmail.com

THIS MONTH: What's Your Investing Philosophy?
Topic Author
digarei

Post by digarei »

. ...
Today is the last day to reserve a seat at the next meeting of Sacramento Area Bogleheads on May 13.

Topic Author
digarei

Post by digarei »

• ... Meeting Announcement - Sacramento Bogleheads
    • . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      B O N D S brand
      BB since 1693
      Portfolio Cement
      . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    • . .. ... .- -.-. .-. .- -- . -. - ---
      . .. -... --- --. .-.. . .... . .- -.. ...
Topic Author
digarei

Six Days From Today

Post by digarei »

Six (6) days
from today the members of Sacramento Area Bogleheads will be meeting in midtown (for details, see the first post in this thread). We meet to discuss all aspects of personal finance and investing on the Second Saturday of each month.

Reservations are being accepted over the next couple of days...

June 10, 2017

10:30 am
Topic Author
digarei

Post by digarei »

. ...
This thread has been updated with essential information about Sacramento Area Bogleheads' next meeting on July 8.

Read the first post to learn what has been scheduled for the month of July — more details will be forthcoming.

Topic Author
digarei

Post by digarei »

It's hot, Hot, HOT! ..

It's not just the weather. The stock market has been on a tear the last six months.

So, maybe it's time to cool off your portfolio?

Cool yourself by hanging out with like-minded investors for two hours on July 8 to discuss this month's proposed topics; watch some pretty cool videos about the intelligent use of bonds in your portfolio; bring your phone, Wi-Fi or cell-enabled tablet, iPad, Mac book or PC laptop along and learn about deciding whether a particular bond or bond fund is right for you—and where you should put it. We'll do this together but you can be cool by participating as an individual and download the software whenever you need it. 8-)

Finally, learn about wills and trusts in one of the last of our short segments on Estate Planning.

This month, cool your heels, your mind and your appetite with other members of Sacramento Area Bogleheads. Many of us will end up at a very good Chinese restaurant in Natomas. [The lunch diversion is entirely optional but the food is excellent and the air conditioning is superb.]

........ ......... ........ ............. Take some sizzle out of your July...

Topic Author
digarei

Seven Days From Today

Post by digarei »

One (1) week
from today the members of Sacramento Area Bogleheads will be meeting in midtown (for details, see the previous post on June 22 -or- the first post in this thread). We meet to discuss all aspects of personal finance and investing on the Second Saturday of each month.

Reservations are being accepted until July 4th ...

July 8, 2017

Topic Author
digarei

THIRTYFIVE DAYS

Post by digarei »

... 3 5 . D A Y S
1c
... < mark your calendar >
This thread ... essential information ... Sacramento ... meeting // Aug-ust 12.

Read the first post to learn what has been scheduled for the month of August — more details will be forthcoming.

Or send an email with the info requested (see post at the top of this thread). Send it here:

where?

here...

Sacramento.Bogleheads@gmail.com

Topic Author
digarei

TWENTYDAYS

Post by digarei »

... 2 0 . D A Y S
1c
... < bump! >
Topic Author
digarei

SIXDAZE

Post by digarei »

6 . D A Y S .

from today the members of Sacramento Area Bogleheads will be meeting in midtown (for details, see the first post in this thread). We meet to discuss all aspects of personal finance and investing each month on Second Saturday.

Reservations are being accepted for this meeting over the next couple of days... closes Aug 8

August 12, 2017

Topic Author
digarei

Sacramento BH's Meeting #30 ~ 9/9/2017

Post by digarei »

. ...
This thread has been updated with essential information about Sacramento Area Bogleheads' next meeting on Sep 9.

Read the first post to learn about the topics scheduled for September 2017.

Topic Author
digarei

Post by digarei »

. ...
Today is the last day to reserve a seat at the next meeting of Sacramento Area Bogleheads on Sept 9.

Topic Author
digarei

Post by digarei »

. Alt color ECF3F7
  • Some counterfeits are easy to detect...
  • If you were to invest with this charlatan
  • the risk of receiving a 0% return is close to 100%
Liar1 399x638
Liar2 399x638
But how does one measure the risk of a legitimate investment?
Or an entire portfolio?
What exactly is a 'Risk-Adjusted Return'?

NEXT MONTH we explore these and other apt questions:

• What makes Modern Portfolio Theory so persuasive?
    What is the Efficient Frontier? (Presentation!)
    plus...
    Open discussion—any topic!
  • October 14, 2017
. ...
Meeting Agenda for November coming soon. Any change to meeting time, day or place is first posted here.
Topic Author
digarei

Post by digarei »

LIl-Bump wt79ovJ
B U M P !
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=228260
LIl-Bump wt79ovJ
tapotti

Post by tapotti »

Hi all,

Had a question for the group

I live in Elk Grove.

I generally handle my own finances, but I'm looking for a tax advisor in the Sacramento area. Do any of you have any recommendations?

Thanks!
anoop

Post by anoop »

tapotti wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:29 pm Hi all,

I live in Elk Grove.

I generally handle my own finances, but I'm looking for a tax advisor in the Sacramento area. Do any of you have any recommendations?

Thanks!
Try Yelp, if you haven't already done so.
LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen »

tapotti wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:29 pm Hi all,

I live in Elk Grove.

Thanks!
Staszak & Co. in Folsom
Williams and Olds in Sac
Sides and Ferkovich in Fair Oaks
Topic Author
digarei

November and December

Post by digarei »

. ...
This thread has been updated with essential information about Sacramento Area Bogleheads' next meeting

for the month of December 2017

Read the first post to learn about these updates. The next public meeting takes place on December 9, 2017.

The November meeting is open to core members only. RSVP emailed 10/15 November meeting cancelled
Topic Author
digarei

Until we meet again...

Post by digarei »

6 . D A Y S .

from today the members of Sacramento Area Bogleheads will be meeting in midtown (for details, see the first post in this thread). We meet to discuss all aspects of personal finance and investing each month on Second Saturday.

Reservations are being accepted for this meeting over the next couple of days... closes Dec 6

December 9, 2017

Topic Author
digarei

January 2018

Post by digarei »

. ...
This thread has been updated with information about Sacramento Area Bogleheads' next meeting

for the month of January 2018

Read the first post for more information. The next public meeting takes place on January 13, 2018.

This month’s SABH leadership team will meet
three days before the public meeting on January 10
• Check RSVP email for time and location • Thanks!

Topic Author
digarei

This Saturday, Jan 13, 2018

Post by digarei »

4 . D A Y S .

Reservations are being accepted for this meeting through today.

January 13, 2018

Note: If you’ve already sent a request to join us during the past week, there’s no need to send it again. We are still processing several requests by new members. Expect a reply with chapter information before the end of today. I’m sorry for the delay!
Topic Author
digarei

February 2018

Post by digarei »

. ...
This thread has been updated with information about Sacramento Area Bogleheads' next meeting

in the month of February 2018

Read the first post for more information. The next public meeting takes place on February 10, 2018.

Audio recording for the January meeting will be made available to attendees
and core members soon.
Thanks!

Topic Author
digarei

New Facebook Page

Post by digarei »

• • •
We now have a presence on Facebook!

This month Sacramento Area Bogleheads (SABH) member Darryl P. created a Facebook page for our chapter that is accessible to anyone with an internet connection. We hope that the page draws attention to our group from Facebook users and others who are looking for a friendly place to discuss investing, personal finance and retirement. It will direct inquiries to our master thread on the Bogleheads® Forum and to our chapter mail box.

https://www.facebook.com/SacramentoAreaBogleheads/

It’s still a work in progress but we’d like your feedback. Please add your comments to this thread or email them to:

Sacramento.Bogleheads@gmail.com

Thanks!
Topic Author
digarei

Sacramento, CA Area Chapter - Master Thread

Post by digarei »

MS2017 623x300 aMhsHn7
1 . W E E K .

Reservations are being accepted for this meeting over the next few days... closes Feb 6

February 10, 2018

Topic Author
digarei

SABH ~ March 2018

Post by digarei »

. ...

in the month of March 2018

Read the first post for more information. The next public meeting takes place on March 10, 2018.

Sacramento Area Bogleheads (SABH) local chapter #61 meets every month on Second Saturday in midtown.

Topic Author
digarei

Post by digarei »

1 . W E E K .

from today the members of Sacramento Area Bogleheads will be meeting in midtown. For details, please see the first post in this thread—or the agenda, below. We meet to discuss all aspects of personal finance and investing each month on Second Saturday. Reservations are being accepted for this meeting through March 6.

• •
Fund Selection
• • •
Fund Selection Criteria—What’s Important?
So many mutual funds, so little time…
We look at 15+ mutual fund choices.

Discussion plus

Investor Q & A

---------------

March 10, 2018

Topic Author
digarei

Post by digarei »

Sacramento Area Bogleheads' 3rd Anniversary

This thread has been updated with essential information about Sacramento Area Bogleheads' next meeting on Apr 14.

Read the first post to learn about the topics scheduled for April 2018.

Topic Author
digarei

Post by digarei »

digarei wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:15 pm .
Sacramento Area Bogleheads' 3rd Anniversary

This thread has been updated with essential information about Sacramento Area Bogleheads' next meeting on Apr 14.

Read the first post to learn about the topics scheduled for April 2018.

Bumping for visibility
    1 . W E E K .

from today the members of Sacramento Area Bogleheads will be meeting in midtown.
    For agenda / details, please see the first post in this thread—or click one of the links,
    below. We meet to discuss all aspects of personal finance and investing on the on the
    Second Saturday of each month. Reservations being accepted now through April 10.

The topic for the April meeting is: .. Behavioral Finance

Meeting announcements are sent to active members and then posted
    in the chapter’s master thread for anyone to read:

Sacramento, CA Master Thread

Background material for the topic to be discussed at the next meeting:

SABH Chap 61 Preview Mtg Sat Apr 14 2018

If you expect to attend the meeting on April 14 please respond to the
    RSVP email or send contact info before April 10.

Thank you
Topic Author
digarei

May 2018

Post by digarei »

. ...

in the month of May 2018

Read the first post for more information. The next public meeting takes place on May 12, 2018.

• Faux Apology

After three consecutive months of speechifying, pontificating and gesticulating,
    members have had enough. They’ve asked—demanded, truthfully—that we give
    the projector and slideshows a rest, already, and start running this outfit as it was
    meant to be: a discussion group where members can talk about investing, ask the
    questions, provide the answers and ignore the chair’s requests, at their discretion.

So, to placate conform to member demands, management has conceded that for
    the month of May, the democratic ideals, republican values and bogleheads sensibilities,
    having been neglected and obscured in prior months under the iron pointer of authoritarian
    charade (which at times included auditory diversions and incantations) will be fully restored.

Long live the people!

Anyone want to give a presentation in June?
    ... :confused
  • ”Conversations

•• to Invest In”

Check out the first post in this thread (linked above) to see full agenda w/ list of topics for May
Thanks!

Topic Author
digarei

Post by digarei »

. ...
This thread has been updated with additional information about Sacramento Area Bogleheads'

next meeting in the month of May 2018

Read the first post for more information. The next public meeting takes place on May 12, 2018.

• New Info

▫️ New member questions added to the list of topics for discussion on May 12 ... ✏️ . Updated 5/3

▫️ Announcement posted for SABH Leadership Meeting #02 - June 9, 2018

▫️ Meeting RSVP for May 12 has been sent to all members by email.
  • ”Conversations

•• to Invest In”

Check out the first post in this thread (linked above) to see full agenda w/ list of topics for May
Thanks!

Topic Author
digarei

May 12

Post by digarei »

S a c r a m e n t o A r e a B o g l e h e a d s
Sacramento Bogleheads - Local Chapter #61

Attention: SABH Members

If you haven't already replied to the RSVP request and hope to attend the

May 12 meeting this coming Saturday, please do so as soon as possible.

We have 20 confirmed to date for Saturday's meeting.1

sacramento area bogleheads meets on second saturday every month in sacramento
    1 . W E E K .

from today the members of Sacramento Area Bogleheads will be meeting in midtown.
    For agenda / details, please see the first post in this thread—or click one of the links,
    below. We meet to discuss all aspects of personal finance and investing on the on the
    Second Saturday of most months. Reservations being accepted now through May 8.

The topic for the May meeting is:

”Conversations

•• to Invest In”

Meeting announcements are sent to active members and then posted
    in the chapter’s master thread for anyone to read:

Sacramento, CA Master Thread

If you expect to attend the meeting on May 12 please respond to the
    RSVP email or send contact info before May 8.
    Thank you

sacramento area bogleheads meets on second saturday every month in sacramento

1 In recent months, the number of people attending has increased.
If this trend continues we may find ourselves unable to accommodate
everyone who wants to attend. This would be a temporary situation.
Apologies in advance to anyone who is excluded because the number
of partcipants exceeds the room’s maximum occupancy (24). This year,
we will begin looking for a larger venue to accommodate more people.

Topic Author
digarei

Post by digarei »

. ...

in the month of June 2018

Read the first post for more information. The next public meeting takes place on June 9, 2018.

Sacramento Area Bogleheads (SABH) local chapter #61 meets every month on Second Saturday in midtown.

Topic Author
digarei

Sacramento - July 14

Post by digarei »

. ...

for the month of July 2018

Read the first post for more information. The next public meeting takes place on July 14, 2018.

Topic Author
digarei

Sacramento ~ July 14

Post by digarei »

1 . W E E K .

from today the members of Sacramento Area Bogleheads will be meeting in midtown. For details, please see the first post in this thread—or the agenda, below. We meet to discuss all aspects of personal finance and investing each month on Second Saturday. Reservations are being accepted for this meeting through July 10.
• •
▫️ ◽️ ◻️

SAVING & SPENDING

Save yourself... into an early retirement and/or financial independence.

Ensuring a long lasting retirement with the right withdrawal strategy.

Discussion plus

Investor Q & A

---------------

July 14, 2018

Topic Author
digarei

Post by digarei »

. ...
REMINDER

The next meeting of Sacramento Area Bogleheads is upon us! ... Saturday, July 14, 2018 @ 10:30am

Ambience:..[ excellent ]

Forecast: .. [ great conversation ]

Please remember to bring your name badge if you have one. General topics outlined above.
Topic Author
digarei

Aug & Sept @ Sacramento Area Bogleheads

Post by digarei »

. ...
COMING SOON ~ 2018

- - - - -

August 11, 2018

David B. will review John Rekenthaler’s Morningstar article exploring the
relative importance of diversification, asset allocation and rebalancing.

September 15, 2018

Bruce B. will present an updated version of his ‘Cash Flow’ spreadsheet,
a multi-function tool that documents your assets & liabilities, investments,
asset allocation, savings and budget (income and expenses). Features a one-
page snapshot showing annual cash flow and a twenty-year financial forecast.

This meeting only: scheduled for the 3rd Saturday of the month.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

More information about meetings and future events can be found here.

Topic Author
digarei

Re: Sacramento ~ August 11

Post by digarei »

1 . W E E K .

from today the members of Sacramento Area Bogleheads will be meeting in midtown. For details, please see the first post in this thread. The agenda topics are shown, below. We meet to discuss all aspects of personal finance and investing each month on Second Saturday. Reservations are being accepted for this meeting through August 8.
• •
▫️ ◽️ ◻️

Diversify, Allocate or Rebalance?

▪️ ▪️ ▪️ ▪️

How to Survive an Inheritance!

Discussion plus

Investor Q & A

---------------

August 11, 2018