Saving and organizing favorite posts/threads

Discussions about the forum and contents
Mrxyz

Saving and organizing favorite posts/threads

Post by Mrxyz » Fri May 11, 2012 7:29 pm

Hi

Is there an 'easy' way to save or organize post that I am not aware of? There is so much good information on these forums and some great discussions i.e. livesoft/nisi and many many more.... but it is tough to save them as favorites on the browser. It would be easier if saved under your own control panel and organized as needed i.e. bonds, efunds etc. What is your favored way to save them?
Thanks for your advice.

MidnightX

Re: Saving and organizing favorite posts/threads

Post by MidnightX » Fri May 11, 2012 7:42 pm

This prior thread might be helpul to you. http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=83068

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri May 11, 2012 7:42 pm

One way is to use your browser's "Bookmarks" feature. You can have folders and folders of bookmarks organized in the way you think. That's how I pull up old posts easily.

That is, did you know that "favorites" can be organized into folders, subfolders, and even more subfolders?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz » Fri May 11, 2012 9:05 pm

Thanks, I use the browser's favorites all the time. But at work ( and I know I should be working and not looking up any forums like bogleheads but...!!!), I use different computers and have to save under the File and Save as option to save under a document favorite. I can access this document folder under My documents as in --- Start, documents, and My documents. This works but is still a little cumbersome. Thought perhaps the forum had something under the control panel which would save it on the website itself.

Better still, if someone (i.e. you) can email me (pm me by copy and paste the links) all your favorite links!! This would save a lot of time!! Or even better would be to list those "Best of 2011 links" somewhere on the forum itself. Links can be categorized by date i.e. 2011, or by topic i.e. (the dreaded GNMA fund or bond fund bubble)!

I also feel it would be so much easier for newbies (like me) to wade through a group of preselected threads which are listed under the wiki itself which add to the discussion of the concerned topic. For e.g. under emergency funds - I know there are a couple of links but there are quite a few more which add good background information (case and point being your wonderful description of how to place emergency funds as part of your portfolio itself and withdraw from taxable and rebalance in tax advantaged if you withdraw - yes it took me a week or two to understand but I think I got it! And I know there may not be 100% agreement on this.), and also good examples of threads with asset allocation also. And there should be some way to date them while listing them so that a discussion for mortagage refinance from 2007 may be less related right now to the reader and thus he/she may want to look up the 2011 thread first.

Just a few of my suggestions for this wonderful forum.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Fri May 11, 2012 9:18 pm

You need the cloud to share links from work to home and home to work, and don't forget Starbucks.

CABob

Post by CABob » Fri May 11, 2012 9:44 pm

How about an Excel (or another spreadsheet) file? Have one column with links cut and pasted and another with your description or subject of what's in the link. This would give you the ability to edit, search, sort, etc. the contents.
You could then put the file in the cloud or on a memory stick to take with you.
Bob

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Fri May 11, 2012 9:51 pm

CABob wrote:How about an Excel (or another spreadsheet) file? Have one column with links cut and pasted and another with your description or subject of what's in the link. This would give you the ability to edit, search, sort, etc. the contents.
You could then put the file in the cloud or on a memory stick to take with you.
I was thinking just start with Google docs. It's already in the cloud. I really am not a cloud guy, but sometimes our family shares that way. The last example was voting on which photos from a professional shoot to give as presents to dad-grandpa-great grandpa. Everybody got to express an opinion from wherever they were (I was paying, so I made the final decision).

PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac » Sat May 12, 2012 12:15 am

I view the forum on one Mac and two laptops. Using Firefox with Xmarks (free add-on), the bookmarks stay in sync. It seems to sync at least daily, but if I need to force them to sync immediately, I just close the browser and it syncs right away.
http://www.xmarks.com/

DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley » Sat May 12, 2012 6:53 am

I print any discussions I want to save to free Cutepdf

http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/Writer.asp

If there are multiple pages to the posting, then you have to print each page separately.

I have PDF subdirectories set up for different financial topics...e.g.....asset allocation, bonds, annuities, 401K, etc.

To find information that I have saved, I first just check the subdirectory the info should be in .......as noted above. I can also use free Copernicus software to search my hard drive also.

Works for me, but as Taylor says..........There are many roads to Dublin :D
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat May 12, 2012 7:03 am

DaleMaley wrote:I print any discussions I want to save to free Cutepdf

To find information that I have saved, I first just check the subdirectory the info should be in .......as noted above. I can also use free Copernicus software to search my hard drive also.

But what if there are three Dublins, all in different locations?
at work ( and I know I should be working and not looking up any forums like bogleheads but...!!!), I use different computers
Home computer: at least one; work computers: at least two. Total computers, at least three.

Having all your files in a subdirectory in one Dublin doesn't help when you are visiting the other Dublins.
http://www.dublin.oh.us/
http://www.ci.dublin.ca.us/

Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz » Sat May 12, 2012 9:06 am

Anyone with experience using dropbox which you can access on any computer?

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Sat May 12, 2012 10:29 am

As long as you're logged in, at the bottom of every topic display, there's a button that says "Bookmark this topic" (the icon looks like a bookmark with a tiny red star). If you push that button, a bookmark for the topic as a whole is recorded in the forum's database, not your browser. Those bookmarks are accessible no matter where or what computer you access Bogleheads from. You can dispose of ones you don't want any more in the user control panel. Unfortunately and as far as I know, the forum software provides no good way to categorize such bookmarks.

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Sat May 12, 2012 10:44 am

PaddyMac wrote:I view the forum on one Mac and two laptops. Using Firefox with Xmarks (free add-on), the bookmarks stay in sync. It seems to sync at least daily, but if I need to force them to sync immediately, I just close the browser and it syncs right away.
Firefox has built in sync capability. Works fine for me across multiple computers.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

NAVigator

Post by NAVigator » Sat May 12, 2012 11:18 am

I use FireFox and the makelink addon to capture the title and the link to the post in plain text. You can keep a file to paste these two lines. You can organize and sort these, keep it on a flash drive for different computers, etc. One can also annotate each topic / link with your own notes. I prefer this because it is easy and can be used with any browser. I use a hierarchical information manager utility and have saved hundreds of links in this way.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."

PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac » Sat May 12, 2012 11:21 am

Sidney wrote:
PaddyMac wrote:I view the forum on one Mac and two laptops. Using Firefox with Xmarks (free add-on), the bookmarks stay in sync. It seems to sync at least daily, but if I need to force them to sync immediately, I just close the browser and it syncs right away.
Firefox has built in sync capability. Works fine for me across multiple computers.
The advantage to xmarks is that it also works with Safari. Not that I use Safari much, except for testing sites, but at least it's there.

DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley » Sat May 12, 2012 1:23 pm

sscritic wrote:
DaleMaley wrote:I print any discussions I want to save to free Cutepdf

But what if there are three Dublins, all in different locations?
at work ( and I know I should be working and not looking up any forums like bogleheads but...!!!), I use different computers
Home computer: at least one; work computers: at least two. Total computers, at least three.

Having all your files in a subdirectory in one Dublin doesn't help when you are visiting the other Dublins.
http://www.dublin.oh.us/
http://www.ci.dublin.ca.us/
===================================
I used Dropbox.........but I have limited free space on it. I have over 7 GB of saved PDF files, so I do not keep them on Dropbox. If you only have a couple of GB of saved files, then Dropbox would work.
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett

investor1

Post by investor1 » Sat May 12, 2012 1:32 pm

Other forums allow you to subscribe to threads. Posting to a thread automatically subscribes you to that thread. You can view and remove your subscriptions as you wish. How about enhancing the BH forum to handle that? This way we could login from any of our computers and have access to our subscriptions.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat May 12, 2012 1:39 pm

investor1 wrote:Other forums allow you to subscribe to threads. Posting to a thread automatically subscribes you to that thread. You can view and remove your subscriptions as you wish. How about enhancing the BH forum to handle that? This way we could login from any of our computers and have access to our subscriptions.
User Control Panel
Below is a list of forums and topics you are subscribed to. You will be notified of new posts in either. To unsubscribe mark the forum or topic and then press the Unwatch marked button.

You are not subscribed to any forums.

You are not subscribed to any topics.

investor1

Post by investor1 » Sat May 12, 2012 1:56 pm

Ahhhhh! And the subscribe button is at the bottom of the page when viewing a thread.

Thanks, dude!

investor1

Post by investor1 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:40 am

Is there any way to disable email notification when someone posts to a thread which I have subscribed to? I didn't notice anything when I looked through the settings.

I was hoping to leverage that feature to basically bookmark threads and be able to access those bookmarks from any computer. I guess I can setup an email filter if needed.

exigent

Post by exigent » Tue May 22, 2012 8:46 am

I'm a big fan of Pinboard (http://www.pinboard.in/) for saving bookmarks online. There's a one-time fee of a little under $10, but it's totally worth it imho. If you upgrade to their paid service (around $25/year, but they credit your one-time signup fee against the first year) they not only save your bookmarks, they'll actually archive a copy of any pages that you bookmark. This may not be that useful for active discussion threads, but it provides future-proofing against websites disappearing and taking their content (which you found bookmark-worthy) with them.

It has a minimalist interface, no ads, and it's completely searchable, taggable, etc. Also, while you can use this service to share bookmarks, you can also keep everything you bookmark private (as I do since I don't really know anyone else using it). Note that I have no affiliation with Pinboard. I'm just a fan and thought I'd share the wealth. :-)

Pam01

Post by Pam01 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:40 am

I use Evernote (a free online SW) which has a great search capability.

You could create a notebook called Bogleheads and cut/paste the link along with a blurb on what that post is about (perhaps from the subject). When you want to search for TLH, just search your evernote with that text and, voila, all tax loss harvesting threads pop up in response to your search.

exigent

Post by exigent » Tue May 22, 2012 10:07 am

Pam01 wrote:I use Evernote (a free online SW) which has a great search capability.

You could create a notebook called Bogleheads and cut/paste the link along with a blurb on what that post is about (perhaps from the subject). When you want to search for TLH, just search your evernote with that text and, voila, all tax loss harvesting threads pop up in response to your search.
Evernote is another good one, and they have a plugin for most browsers to save web pages straight to their service. That would probably be even better than just create a note with a link and a blurb.

CABob

Post by CABob » Tue May 22, 2012 10:22 am

investor1 wrote:Is there any way to disable email notification when someone posts to a thread which I have subscribed to? I didn't notice anything when I looked through the settings.

I was hoping to leverage that feature to basically bookmark threads and be able to access those bookmarks from any computer. I guess I can setup an email filter if needed.
Down at the bottom where you click to subscribe to be notified of posts you can click to unsubscribe. It is therefore a quick check to see if you are subscribed.
Bob