Who Is Online: Forum or Fora?

Discussions about the forum and contents
sscritic

Who Is Online: Forum or Fora?

Post by sscritic » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:44 pm

We have a forum and write things like "Forum Issues and Administration." At the bottom of any thread, you can see who is online "on this forum." But "on this forum" is not correct; the list is only good for those "browsing" that particular subforum. Note at bogleheads.org the references are to subforum
- complete sub forum list
Subforum key:
So which is it? Why can't we see who is online without opening each sub forum separately; there are seven public ones and by the time you get to the last one, someone who was on when you started has now signed off.

WHO IS ONLINE
Users browsing this forum: clevername, DH287, DickBenson, Furynation, jbk, momar, nhdean, Offcelled, retiredjg, sscritic, staythecourse, TAINTED-MEAT, tarnation, wade, Whiggish Boffin, zaboomafoozarg and 37 guests
and 10 seconds later on another subforum
WHO IS ONLINE
Users browsing this forum: dandan14, HelenaJustina, mlebuf, racy, Rager1, sscritic, tibbitts and 29 guests
Now I would prefer to see the full list of "forum" users, but if you are only going to show the list for the subforum, the wording should be changed to make that clear.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Who Is Online: Forum or Fora?

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:53 pm

A comprehensive list is on the Board index (top left of this page), which is currently showing:

Registered users: 14thMed, amarone, Atilla, bertilak, Bing [Bot], bob90245, cacophony, camper, Chipmaster, #Cruncher, dickenjb, dkdoy, DSInvestor, dvdguy, ejvyas, FAST Enterprise [Crawler], FlyingMoose, FMRP, FredPeterson, freebeer, ftobin, gkaplan, Google [Bot], gregw, HelenaJustina, Jay69, JDCPAEsq, jeff mc, jsl11, Judsen, Kuota Rider, Leesbro63, LH, lmpmd, Majestic-12 [Bot], MedicatedMoney, mikepru, pete82, pjstack, racy, Rick Ferri, rob, rr2, Sam I Am, SHL, sscritic, tibbitts, TRC, zotty

I suppose I should mention the "other" check box when you login - "Hide my online status this session."

I assume the software has one message, regardless if it's sub-forum or forum, and can't be changed.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:00 pm

LadyGeek wrote: I suppose I should mention the "other" check box when you login - "Hide my online status this session."
Is there a way to hide other users you don't want to read? :)

Thanks for setting me straight.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:21 pm

Yes, no, and no. Yes, it's called "Friends and Foes" in the user control panel. No, the "Foes" part, which would do what you want, is not enabled (I don't see it). I think the idea is that you need to read a thread in its entirety to get the full context of the discussion. Disabling certain users would break that continuity. Just skip over what you don't want to read. No, I won't change the settings. :)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

CABob

Post by CABob » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:39 pm

So what does it mean if a name is in the online list. I assume it would mean that that user has a browser window open to some window on bogleheads.org. This could mean they might have multiple browser windows open and they might be actually on some other site. Is this correct?
Bob

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:47 pm

CABob wrote:So what does it mean if a name is in the online list. I assume it would mean that that user has a browser window open to some window on bogleheads.org. This could mean they might have multiple browser windows open and they might be actually on some other site. Is this correct?
Pretty much how I interpret it. A user is "online" if they've logged into Boglehead.org via one of the pages and have not either a) clicked the Logout link or b) been automatically logged out after being idle too long. So they could still be looking at Bogleheads or they could have other tabs open on other sites or walked to the kitchen for a snack or so on.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:19 am

You can also see who's online by looking at the top-right corner of each individual's post. You'll see a diagonal stripe marked "Online."

porcupine

Post by porcupine » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:29 am

LadyGeek wrote:A comprehensive list is on the Board index (top left of this page), which is currently showing:

Registered users: 14thMed, amarone, Atilla, bertilak, Bing [Bot], bob90245, cacophony, camper, Chipmaster, #Cruncher, dickenjb, dkdoy, DSInvestor, dvdguy, ejvyas, FAST Enterprise [Crawler], FlyingMoose, FMRP, FredPeterson, freebeer, ftobin, gkaplan, Google [Bot], gregw, HelenaJustina, Jay69, JDCPAEsq, jeff mc, jsl11, Judsen, Kuota Rider, Leesbro63, LH, lmpmd, Majestic-12 [Bot], MedicatedMoney, mikepru, pete82, pjstack, racy, Rick Ferri, rob, rr2, Sam I Am, SHL, sscritic, tibbitts, TRC, zotty

I suppose I should mention the "other" check box when you login - "Hide my online status this session."

I assume the software has one message, regardless if it's sub-forum or forum, and can't be changed.
Chalk me up as one who hates having his status displayed with the blue "online" ribbon. It reminds me that big brother (or big sister :wink:) is watching (even though he is watching when that ribbon turned off)! So, I check off that box each time I log in - would be nice if that can be a permanent account option.

- Porcupine

mas

Post by mas » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:39 am

porcupine wrote:So, I check off that box each time I log in - would be nice if that can be a permanent account option.
There is
  • User Control Panel
  • Board Preferences
  • Edit Global Settings
  • Hide my online status
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/ucp.php?i=174

porcupine

Post by porcupine » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:36 am

mas wrote:
porcupine wrote:So, I check off that box each time I log in - would be nice if that can be a permanent account option.
There is
  • User Control Panel
  • Board Preferences
  • Edit Global Settings
  • Hide my online status
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/ucp.php?i=174
Thank you! My bad. This was set to off. I am curious - wasn't this 'online' ribbon a new addition that was added on after the latest revision/upgrade of the site? Correct me if I am wrong, but I would've assumed that most would have preferred their status to be hidden (or at least not revealed on each of their posts). Was there a discussion on the boards about this that I missed?

Anyway, I have updated my preferences and you will never see me "online" again! :wink:

- Porcupine

mas

Post by mas » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:37 am

porcupine wrote:I am curious - wasn't this 'online' ribbon a new addition that was added on after the latest revision/upgrade of the site?
I'm not sure about the "ribbon", but the setting (and some version of the view of who is online) was there in the prior software. I know that I had mine set to "hide" previously, and it carried over with the upgrade.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:44 am

porcupine wrote: Correct me if I am wrong, but I would've assumed that most would have preferred their status to be hidden (or at least not revealed on each of their posts).
Why? I am here. You are here. It is hard to miss me. What difference does it make if someone knows I am online now as you read this or 30 seconds ago when I wrote and posted it. If I posted, I must have been online. What are you trying to hide?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:59 am

The "ribbon" feature is new for phpBB3, which is displayed within posts (as you see here) or by clicking on the user's profile. It doesn't matter to me, as knowing that a person is online does not guarantee they will respond to you when PM'd or a new post is added to the thread.