Forum Upgrade Successful

Discussions about the forum and contents
Alex Frakt
Founder

Forum Upgrade Successful

Post by Alex Frakt » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:05 pm

It looks like it worked. You'll notice a few new features, but you can pretty much do everything you are used to. Note that we are currently running a completely stock configuration, I'll be tweaking settings and the layout over at least the next couple of weeks. Let me know of any issues here and I'll get to them as soon as I can.

I do want to make a note of one feature. At the top of each post is the Report this post button. It looks like this: Image. Please use it if you run into spam or posts that otherwise violate our policies.

EDIT: PLEASE NOTE. THE APPEARANCE OF THE MAIN PAGES (topic list and thread) WILL BE CHANGING COMPLETELY. For example, the avatar/info box will go back on the left. PLEASE HOLD FIRE ON APPEARANCE ISSUES FOR NOW.

NAVigator

Re: Forum Upgrade Successful

Post by NAVigator » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:44 am

Fantastic! Welcome back.

Thank you Alex, Larry, and Lady Geek for a great job. The forum is indeed a "rare medium well done".

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."

OZAR

Post by OZAR » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:54 am

GREAT JOB GUYS!!

hi^5 :P

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:04 am

Welcome back!

Looking good!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:12 am

Looks great, working great for me. Thanks to all for the hard work and the new look.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:31 am

Looks like the "VIew Unread Posts" button is gone. I always linked to that and it brought up only the posts which I had not read.

Marilyn Dennison

Post by Marilyn Dennison » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:43 am

Withdrawal over...hooray.

Thanks to the webmasters for such an important site.

Marilyn

neverknow

Post by neverknow » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:45 am

Well done! It was not a trivial task you all performed. I know. I have run a phpBB board before. This was a significant upgrade.

Well done! Get some sleep. You deserve it.
neverknow

tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:00 am

I like the new look, but where are the Avatars?

G-Force

Post by G-Force » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:13 am

Hondo wrote:Looks like the "VIew Unread Posts" button is gone. I always linked to that and it brought up only the posts which I had not read.
You should be able to get to it by bookmarking this link: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/search. ... d=newposts

jeff mc

Post by jeff mc » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:52 am

gotta love the new "report" option... should get spammers out of here even faster. thanks for the update, alex, et. al. i'm sure it was a grind.

Angst

Post by Angst » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:20 am

This looks great! I love new stuff. Thanks!!

1 question:
- The "Refuge in a storm" folder is throwing me off a little. It's basically a duplicate of "Board index"? Should I care?

rob

Post by rob » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:24 am

What's the deal with the main screen (not the BBH part)? Seems to only have the last day's history not the past history....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

Angst

Post by Angst » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:29 am

rob wrote:What's the deal with the main screen (not the BBH part)? Seems to only have the last day's history not the past history....
I believe it defaults to the last day's history, and there's no history since last Sunday. Look at the header, on the far right, and you can choose, "Days 1, 2, 3". Pick 3.

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:32 am

rob wrote:What's the deal with the main screen (not the BBH part)? Seems to only have the last day's history not the past history....
It only shows posts updated in the last day. Since we were off the air, there haven't been anything updated.

I'll temporarily bump it up to show the stuff from before the shutdown until it gets humming again.

vectorizer

Post by vectorizer » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:37 am

Thanks to all on the team for your hard work on behalf of all of us.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:39 am

Lots of spam. Where's this report button?
Gordon

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:47 am

Thanks for the upgrade!Didn't realize how much I enjoyed and missed the forum until it was down for a few days for the upgrade! :D :D
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:54 am

gkaplan wrote:Lots of spam. Where's this report button?
Hi gk:

The "report this post button" is just to the left of the quote button. The triangular icon has an exclamation point inside of it.

regards,
Image | blb | December Birthday Celebration: Ludwig van Beethoven

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:12 am

Just getting into it - will perhaps have more comments later.

Couple quick suggestions:

When you are viewing topics, like from this page:
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

You're now shown as being in "Board index < Refuge in a storm < Investing - Theory, News & General"

I understand that "Board index" takes you to the top level. But "Refuge in a storm" does as well. Seems superfluous and maybe a little confusing. Would be nice to combine these two into one.

===

Also, on that same page, it's kind of hard to skim the topic titles. I think it's because each topic area is cluttered, and the topic titles aren't always aligned at the same level (left to right). Icons push some but not others over a bit. If not too difficult, I'd like to see the name and time of the original poster/post smaller/less prominent, and/or the name of the post more prominent.

===

Also, while I'm throwing out suggestions: This doesn't relate to the recent changes, but is a longstanding thing... There are multiple stickies at the top of most/all forums. Can the number of stickies be reduced, perhaps to zero? Do we need the "Bogleheads 9 2010 Reunion DVD set" post from January 2011 to be stickied to the top of the forum?
Last edited by psteinx on Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:33 am

Great work - love the new look!
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

mudfud

Post by mudfud » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:53 am

Great job by Larry, Alex, and LadyGeek. Much appreciated!
"Are you sure you have tested an a priori hypothesis?" | | Image

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:17 am

Barry Barnitz wrote:
gkaplan wrote:Lots of spam. Where's this report button?
Hi gk:

The "report this post button" is just to the left of the quote button. The triangular icon has an exclamation point inside of it.

regards,
The "Quote" button and "Report this post" icon only appear once you are logged in.

I had to login manually for the first time in months. Probably a side effect of the upgrade.

kirent

Post by kirent » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:18 am

Great job guys! :)
Disclaimer: I am not a financial or legal expert and all information I provide is given for entertainment purposes only, at your own risk and with no guarantees of accuracy.

Midpack

Post by Midpack » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:23 am

Sure looks great, looking forward to learning the nuances. I am sure it was a lot of work to convert, thanks from another grateful member.
You only live once...

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:32 am

Hondo wrote:Looks like the "VIew Unread Posts" button is gone. I always linked to that and it brought up only the posts which I had not read.
there was a "view unread posts" button?

needs a bit of getting used to yet the loss of the forum was worth getting the :peace and :dollar icons.

nice job but it seems as if I was watching TV for 72 hours straight to fill the gap (sigh)

thanks
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

bob90245

Post by bob90245 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:39 am

Alex Frakt wrote:Let me know of any issues here and I'll get to them as soon as I can.
The tiny default font is hard on my weak eyes. Before, we had more display styles. Can we get those displays styles back? I was using "Plain White" that allowed for large font sizes and easy for my weak eyes to read.

Edit to add: I also need white background. The blue background does not make for good contrast.
Last edited by bob90245 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ignore the market noise. Keep to your rebalancing schedule whether that is semi-annual, annual or trigger bands.

G-Force

Post by G-Force » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:43 am

1530jesup wrote:
there was a "view unread posts" button?

thanks
Yes, see my post above for the link.

SHL

Post by SHL » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:15 am

Congrats on the successful upgrade! Thanks to all the forum admins for your hard work.
Stephen

yobria

Post by yobria » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:17 am

Good work, I'd recommend black text on a white background.

Nick

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:33 am

I will be making major changes to the interface to make it easier to read over the next couple of weeks. But our first priority is configuration issues and generally making sure everything works like it is supposed to.

Keep the suggestions coming, I will refer back to this thread when making changes.

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:41 am

bob90245 wrote:The tiny default font is hard on my weak eyes. Before, we had more display styles. Can we get those displays styles back? I was using "Plain White" that allowed for large font sizes and easy for my weak eyes to read.

Edit to add: I also need white background. The blue background does not make for good contrast.
It's hard to see (I know, I know...), but for a temporary workaround there are a couple of buttons at the top of each thread you can use to make it easier to read pages. The button that's a letter A surrounded by up and down carets toggles through various text sizes. It appears to keep the setting for at least the current session. Also the printer icon switches you to a black and white printable version of the page that's much easier to read.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:46 am

Very nice work folks! I love the new format. Thank you all for building this site and sharing this wonderful reference library of knowledge with us.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

craigr

Post by craigr » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:52 am

Looks great! Thanks for all the hard work.
IMPORTANT NOTE: My old website crawlingroad{dot}com is no longer available or run by me. | | Please refer to archive.is or archive.org for old links in my post.

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:58 am

Re: The icons to the left of thread topics (on the thread list screens):

A book thread on this page (http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=11) has some sort of animated icon (scrolling text like thing). Perhaps because it had a lot of posts?

Distracting and unnecessary, IMO (the animation).

I don't like the fact that these icons are red (though they were a different color just a little while ago for me, I think when I was not logged in). Red icons suggest something is in error to me.

===

The button to change font size (upper right) confused me for a bit. It has a little smaller symbol to the left and a bigger symbol to the right. I thought I could click on the bigger symbol to make fonts bigger and the smaller to make things smaller, but it was responding erratically instead. I figured out (I think) that the whole thing seems to be one image, and clicking anywhere on it toggles the fonts bigger, but it rolls over to the smallest size when it is already at the biggest size. Confusing...

===

Mod names are in red. It's fine to distinguish mod names from others, but again, red in interfaces strikes me as the color of something that is in error, in violation, or whatnot.

bob90245

Post by bob90245 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:24 pm

Alex Frakt wrote:
bob90245 wrote:The tiny default font is hard on my weak eyes. Before, we had more display styles. Can we get those displays styles back? I was using "Plain White" that allowed for large font sizes and easy for my weak eyes to read.

It's hard to see (I know, I know...), but for a temporary workaround there are a couple of buttons at the top of each thread you can use to make it easier to read pages. The button that's a letter A surrounded by up and down carets toggles through various text sizes. It appears to keep the setting for at least the current session. Also the printer icon switches you to a black and white printable version of the page that's much easier to read.
Yes, the printable version of the page viewing black text on white background makes reading much better. OK for temporary workaround. I look forward to when all other checks on the new software are complete and we can get more display styles like "Plain White".
Ignore the market noise. Keep to your rebalancing schedule whether that is semi-annual, annual or trigger bands.

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:31 pm

Looks nice. THX -- Tet

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Alex Frakt wrote:I will be making major changes to the interface to make it easier to read over the next couple of weeks.
I sure hope so.

Everything now is all jumbled together visually. All the blue text boxes run together; the date of the post is hard to make out; the author of a post isn't terribly clear either.

Quotes within a post aren't easily identified as "quotes," especially if they are at the end of one's post. Recommend making the border around a quote thicker and blacker, so it stands out more to the eye.

Also, I hate to say this, but the current font/format doesn't look terribly professional to me and, on a work computer screen, makes it obvious that I'm not doing work.

I'm sure I'll check back in every so often, but I'd probably be better off just leaving and not coming back until mid November or so.

LonePrairie

Post by LonePrairie » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:54 pm

Thanks for your hard work.

englishgirl

Post by englishgirl » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:23 pm

Thank you guys, for the hard work and effort you put in to keeping this forum running so well!
Sarah

Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:28 pm

Message delete.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:35 pm

I hope everyone remains patient as this forum goes through various modifications after the upgrade. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will the various tweakings that will occur over a stretch of time. I would like to personally thank the people working on this project - and who have/are spending a lot of their time - without the potential of any sweat equity coming from this project.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

marie17

Post by marie17 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:37 pm

Thanks for all of your hard work!!!
:sharebeer :sharebeer

Angst

Post by Angst » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:49 pm

Links:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd swear that before the upgrade, whenever I clicked on a link within a post, Firefox would open a new tab. I have not changed or updated FF recently, but in the forum now, links do not open a new window or tab. I really prefer a new tab or window. (of course, I can R-click, but didn't this happen automatically before the upgrade?)

One other thing that might have nothing actually to do with the upgrade: At the main bogleheads.org/index page, if you click on individual user's id, unlike within the forum where it takes you to that person's profile, at the /index page it just takes you to a generic search page. It probably should go to the profile, no?

Thanks for all your work!! Everyone appreciates it so much.

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:56 pm

Great work. Thanks!
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:58 pm

Random Musings wrote:I hope everyone remains patient as this forum goes through various modifications after the upgrade. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will the various tweakings that will occur over a stretch of time. I would like to personally thank the people working on this project - and who have/are spending a lot of their time - without the potential of any sweat equity coming from this project.
Thanks for this reminder. This is a complex set of software with a lot of moving parts - there is much more to it than phpbb2. Also, unlike at the original launch we have to deal with the data of 26k members and 1.2 million posts, moderating around a 1000 new posts a day and serving 50k page views a day. Ladygeek has helped out a lot with the server move and completely handled the wiki upgrade and move, but she can't even check in during working hours. Anyway, in the end, the UI issues are up to me to resolve and I have an almost 3-year old (he's taking a nap now) and a day job that I can't cut below half time. I still hope to get the major stuff done within the next week, but minor tweaking will be going on for some time to come.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:10 pm

tludwig23 wrote:I like the new look, but where are the Avatars?
Look on the right side of your screen beside each post, tludwig23.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:12 pm

Angst wrote:Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd swear that before the upgrade, whenever I clicked on a link within a post, Firefox would open a new tab. I have not changed or updated FF recently, but in the forum now, links do not open a new window or tab. I really prefer a new tab or window. (of course, I can R-click, but didn't this happen automatically before the upgrade?)
Yes it did. But it was not really how things are supposed to work on the web. The general rule is that when you click a link, the new content comes up in the current window unless you are specifically told it won't or it's otherwise obvious from the context.
Angst wrote:One other thing that might have nothing actually to do with the upgrade: At the main bogleheads.org/index page, if you click on individual user's id, unlike within the forum where it takes you to that person's profile, at the /index page it just takes you to a generic search page. It probably should go to the profile, no?
It should work now. Phpbb changed the query syntax slightly (from "search_author=x" to "author=x") which broke our links. Since I wrote the code that creates those links on the homepage, it was easy to find and fix :-)

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:14 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
tludwig23 wrote:I like the new look, but where are the Avatars?
Look on the right side of your screen beside each post, tludwig23.
They were turned off when we started up this morning.

magicmom

Post by magicmom » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:18 pm

Missed everyone! :beer