THANK YOU Larry Auton, Alex Frakt, Phoenix...

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
mudfud

THANK YOU Larry Auton, Alex Frakt, Phoenix...

Post by mudfud »

...and everyone else who worked so hard behind the scenes. The split format on diehards.org works beautifully.

Thanks again!

Mud
Last edited by mudfud on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Are you sure you have tested an a priori hypothesis?" | | Image
Mel Lindauer

New diehards.org split format

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I couldn't agree more!

Regards,

Mel
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

Thank you for your support. Time for a beer and bed.
xenial

Post by xenial »

Superb. You guys have done an unbelievable job.

Best wishes,
Ken
Sunny Sarkar

Both forums on Diehards.org

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

This is simply awesome!

Thanks a lot.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

I just logged in for the first time since the change...awesome. Great work. This will help unite the community like nothing else.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Sunny Sarkar

A little constructive criticism

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

Hi Alex & Larry,

A little constructive criticism, and you may have already considered this option: what if we go back to the original format of diehards.org with links on the left and one list on the right, except that list now contains posts from both forums intertwined, sorted by time (descending), distinguishable by something like perhaps a subtle change in background color or an icon or something (you get the idea). Since you now have interfaces to both forums in diehards.org, it'd probably be possible to create the wrapper. Just a thought.

Best wishes & Thanks!
Sunny
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

Awesome!

And I see that about twice as many conversations are updated on the new forum compared to the old forum. :-)
My signature has been deleted.
cfs

Just outstanding

Post by cfs »

Outstanding Job, all this progress made here in just a couple of weeks !!!

cfs
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
mapleosb

Fantastic Job!

Post by mapleosb »

"Under promise and over deliver" Indeed! :D

Thanks to all who are making this a great place to be.
“A mile of highway will take you a mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere!”
shadowrings

Post by shadowrings »

Outstanding job fellas!! :P

vickie
Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people. | --- Carl G. Jung
gummy

Post by gummy »

I was gettin' frustrated with the M* restrictions.
Now this forum is GREAT !!
Many thanks to all who worked to get it up and running. Image
rob

Post by rob »

Nice job - a minor request -> Any chance we can indicate a poll on the message (like the board)??
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
bilperk

Post by bilperk »

Thanks a lot guys. This is getting better every day!

best,

Bill
Bill
CountryBoy

Thanks to everyone

Post by CountryBoy »

Thanks to everyone who have set up and are making this forum possible. We obviously all love it.

Equally obvious is the simple fact that M* will Never have the manpower, technical know how, software, and concern to make their forum anywhere near as good as this one.

Thank you Phoenix !!! Power to the people!!!

Country Boy
kathy

Post by kathy »

Thank you Bogleheads and Diehards sooooooo much for
setting us all up so nicely with the split screen. This must
have been a mountain of work. You are all amazing!
kathy
kathy
Alex Frakt
Founder

Re: A little constructive criticism

Post by Alex Frakt »

Sunny wrote:...what if we go back to the original format of diehards.org with links on the left and one list on the right, except that list now contains posts from both forums intertwined, sorted by time (descending), distinguishable by something like perhaps a subtle change in background color or an icon or something (you get the idea).
We tried that. Actually Larry and I started out championing two different displays. He wanted to do as you suggested and I wanted 3 panes, the original two plus one for this forum.

So each of us worked on our own design separately. We got them to workin (minus bells and whistles), but found that each had its own insurmountable problem. My 3 panel required a resolution of at least 1024x768 to be readable, and Larry's interleaved approach was much more complex from a programming standpoint to make it display properly. But that was something that could have been overcome. To me the real problem was the disparity in the post volume. Here's a copy of my response to Larry once I got it running with live data.
Have you looked at the interleaved results? Something I hadn't anticipated is going on that makes the interleaved display almost useless. The activity on our board is now so much higher than at M*, the M* posts are almost lost in the noise - sometimes you even have to scroll to find the first M* post. If the default view is interleaved, diehards.org will cease to be a reasonable entry point for M*. For those who don't want to give up our homepage, we'll essentially be forcing them to leave M*.

The only way to support both forums is to have the two posts lists display side by side. I guess I'm going to have to say goodbye to my old design :-(
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

For the record, credit for the split screen work on the home page goes to Larry and Alex. I had nothing to do with it and, in fact, I doubt I could have done it (and certainly not in the time they did).
cfs

In ref to M* updating their web site

Post by cfs »

CountryBoy wrote:Equally obvious is the simple fact that M* will Never have the manpower, technical know how, software, and concern to make their forum anywhere near as good as this one.
They do have the MONEY to pay some software gurus to update their obsolete web site, but imho the DESIRE [or NEED to do so] is not there.

cfs
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
AshKK

Post by AshKK »

If the default view is interleaved, diehards.org will cease to be a reasonable entry point for M*. For those who don't want to give up our homepage, we'll essentially be forcing them to leave M*.
Aw, poor M*.
I can't believe that this was considered a negative point for interleaving. :twisted:
Ash | | The 82nd Boglehead.
Wagnerjb

Thank You!

Post by Wagnerjb »

I would like to add my thanks to Larry, Alex and Phoenix for all their hard work in making this forum a tremendous success.

It is a joy to post here and I am still amazed to see how the forum has taken off so fast.

Best wishes.
Andy
Eric

Very nice

Post by Eric »

I couldn't agree more. Great job, guys.