Wish list

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
Alex Frakt
Founder

Wish list

Post by Alex Frakt »

Please post if there's something you'd like to see here in terms of features or settings changes. Obviously I can't make any guarantees and we are currently quite busy with the transition to our new home at diehards.org. But we will keep note of what's going on here for future reference and maybe something will come up that's easy to take care of while we already have our hands in the system's guts.

I'll start off with a few I have or have heard here:

- get list of recent posts from this forum on diehards home page (this is our current #1 priority)

- add post and reply numbering

- update member post numbers to include posts made on M*

Alex
cfs

Thanks for asking

Post by cfs »

Thanks, imho these are the biggies:
* get list of recent posts from this forum on diehards home page
* add post and reply numbering

And recommend to keep things simple, by sticking to these topics ONLY:
* Investing and Personal Finance
* Off Topic
* Reference Library
* Forum Issues and Administration

Thanks for listening.

cfs
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
dimbulb

Post by dimbulb »

Not directly related to the forum, perhaps consider putting the reference library on a wiki format instead of a forum format.

Might be easier to edit/collaborate/look for information using a wiki than a forum for the archival and creation of new information.
bob90245

Post by bob90245 »

I'll repeat my previous request.

http://diehards.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4329#4329

... I especially like the underline for links. For example:

no underline

with underline

Much easier to read links that have underlines. With this blue-grey background, it is easy to miss the regular links (that have no underlines).

Then again, if there is an ability to change the background colors (to say white or very light grey), that would be great!
Oicuryy

Post by Oicuryy »

User selectable styles (once phpbb.com is back up).
http://www.diehards.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=264
rob

Navigation Minor Issue...

Post by rob »

When reading and posting (on the non-M* board), I find I have no easy way to get back to diehards.org's main list (particularly after posting).

Any chance we could remove/replace the phpbb banner link with a link to diehards.org or another button somewhere so we don't have to backtrack so far or retype the url.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Kenkat

Improved Readability

Post by Kenkat »

IMO, a couple of small changes to greatly improve readability:

1. Increase the font size of the Post subject and or bold it and move to left of the posted time stamp
2. Move the pm, profile, and www buttons out of the message area and into the author area.

These two changes would give a straight, easily readable text area.

Thanks for listening,
Ken
WiseNLucky

Post by WiseNLucky »

Put "View Previous Topic" and "View Next Topic" buttons on the bottom right of each thread as well as the top. Then we don't have to scroll all the way to the top to move to the next post in the sequence.
WiseNLucky
zhiwiller

Post by zhiwiller »

Perhaps some way to give a thumbs up to a specific thread in order for folks to see at a glance what the "good" threads are?
orthros

Post by orthros »

zhiwiller wrote:Perhaps some way to give a thumbs up to a specific thread in order for folks to see at a glance what the "good" threads are?
Assuming it's easy to implement, this is a great idea.

Go check out FatWallet if you want to see this in action and how easy one can see those posts which have the greatest mass interest.
Sunny Sarkar

If wishes were fishes

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

On diehards.org:

* Please bring back the search, except this time with integrated search functionality across both forums :)

* A separate "view" on diehards.org that intertwines the posts from both forums (with or without any indicator of each post's residence/server) so that the page looks like the diehards.org of the good old days with links on the left and posts on the right.

Thanks again for all the hard work, and just ask if I can help.

Regards,
Sunny
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
jeff mc

Post by jeff mc »

zhiwiller wrote:Perhaps some way to give a thumbs up to a specific thread in order for folks to see at a glance what the "good" threads are?
maybe via a 'recommend this thread?" option for folks to 'vote' on. then, you could create a view that sorts by "# recommendations" instead of by date.

or create a color coded system. allow 'thumbs up' OR 'thumbs down'. 100% thumbs up would give a green icon, 100% down a red, and in between could be yellow variations.

no idea if possible, but like amazon does for reviews, allow us to vote on useful threads (not individual replies)

========
[edit] i added the below to a non-related thread about the new diehard.org view and forum... i copied it to the right spot here...
========
actually, i should probably add some content here... instead of paying too close attention to the nc2a games...

in the diehards.org website main page...

- personally, i don't like serif fonts. i'd make the entire diehards.org sans serif (arial). kill that serifed times new roman BS. let the browser (enduser) decide what font i wish to view pages in. why are you forcing a times new roman font on me? i like my default IE font just fine

- i would put a [poll] in front of any thread that contains a poll

- i would make "chap", "admin", "OT" a different color font, to make them stand out better

- i would change "Chap" to "Local" to be more descriptive

- i would get a google search engine-let reinstalled that covers both M* and diehards.org/forum

- i would remove military time format, and replace w/ AM/PM

- i would put a "By" and a "Replies" and a "Last update" at top of each half, and then align the authors, # replies, and time stamp under them. to repeat "By" and "replies" on every line is a waste of real estate. as long as they align, OR are color coded, people will understand what they are

- i love metrics. i would add "conversations added in last week and last hour, in addition to last 24 hrs. (and shrink or shorten that text to "new 1 hr = xx, new 24hr = xx, new 7d = xxx)

- i would pick a third color for non-new-forum, non-M* for the very top pane and bottom pane. gray = 100% new forum. yellow = 100% M*, and a new color (light blue?) is the help, diehards.org, copyright blurb, etc.

- i'd add a 'jump to conversation' applet for new forum, too, in addition to M*

- i'd add a 4th column, "last updated by" and put that user in, w/ hyperlink to author.

but that's only if i were in charge of diehards.org... it's easy to nitpick... but it's a great UI.. very 'craigs-listy'.
jeff mc

poll suggestion... check box options instead of radio button

Post by jeff mc »

don't know if there's any phpbb mods out there that can do this, but...

how about a poll feature that would allow multiple answers? i'd love to do a poll, asking what asset classes people have. they'd check all that apply. this would be much more useful than just asking "how many asset classes do you own?" and being able to answer "7".

adding "pick all that apply check boxes" in addition to the "pick one radio button" as a poll feature would be sweet. poll results could be so much more meaningful.

thx for considering
Topic Author
Alex Frakt
Founder

Re: poll suggestion... check box options instead of radio bu

Post by Alex Frakt »

chuck D wrote:how about a poll feature that would allow multiple answers?
There do appear to be mods for this, if the phpbb website ever comes back up I'll look into it.
LocalHero

Post by LocalHero »

Greetings Admins,

I would like a "cancel post" button/option for when one decides that the post being composed just doesn't work for some reason.

Thanks and best wishes,
JB
Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together. -- Red Green
arrete

Post by arrete »

I would like a "cancel post" button/option for when one decides that the post being composed just doesn't work for some reason.
If you are in Internet Explorer, hit the back button - your post will be gone.

Kathy
Quando omni flunkus moritati
LocalHero

More visable reply subject

Post by LocalHero »

I second kenschmidt's recommendation for bolding or larger font for the reply subject line.

Best wishes,
JB
Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together. -- Red Green
earlyout

link to home page

Post by earlyout »

A simple link somewhere to get back to the diehards.org home page would be very useful. Rob also mentioned this about a month ago.

Thanks.
jimgour

One More Topic ... Sort of

Post by jimgour »

Since we are now up to FIVE topics, I would like to see a sixth one added.

I think it would help many people if we added an additional topic at the end that would allow people to see postings to "All of the Above" topics.

I find it troublesome to go to each individual topic to see what is new there. People who want to look at ONLY "Investing and Personal Finanance" or "Off Topic" could still do so, but those of us who wish could get up to date on postings to all of the topics with the click of a single button.

Just an idea, what do you think?

Jim
bob90245

Re: One More Topic ... Sort of

Post by bob90245 »

jimgour wrote:I think it would help many people if we added an additional topic at the end that would allow people to see postings to "All of the Above" topics.

I find it troublesome to go to each individual topic to see what is new there. People who want to look at ONLY "Investing and Personal Finanance" or "Off Topic" could still do so, but those of us who wish could get up to date on postings to all of the topics with the click of a single button.
I get my up-to-date postings by clicking the link that says "View posts since last visit". I don't know if it is available on all board styles. But I use "Athena" board style; and the "View posts since last visit" link is located at the top-right on the main (index) page.
dokeeffe

Post by dokeeffe »

When you are logged in and on the main page of the Bogleheads forum http://diehards.org/forum/index.php there is a link on the upper right of the screen which says "View posts since last visit" http://diehards.org/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts .

This shows all posts across all the sub forums
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Larger print needed

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Hi Alec"
My primary complaint of the new forum is the small, less easily read print. I increase the size to 125% (still small) but it cuts off the sides of the web page so I often must scroll at the bottom.

Thank you for your consideration.

Best wishes.
Taylor
jimgour

New Topic ... Sort of

Post by jimgour »

dokeeffe:

Thanks, that is just what I was looking for. I should have known it already existed.

Jim
WiseNLucky

Post by WiseNLucky »

WiseNLucky wrote:Put "View Previous Topic" and "View Next Topic" buttons on the bottom right of each thread as well as the top. Then we don't have to scroll all the way to the top to move to the next post in the sequence.
It is amazing how much time this small fix will save posters and I understand it's a fairly easy fix.
WiseNLucky
Topic Author
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

WiseNLucky wrote:
WiseNLucky wrote:Put "View Previous Topic" and "View Next Topic" buttons on the bottom right of each thread as well as the top. Then we don't have to scroll all the way to the top to move to the next post in the sequence.
It is amazing how much time this small fix will save posters and I understand it's a fairly easy fix.
This is style dependent. This is one of the reasons I used FI Plain as the base for what was to be the default style (before I found out it wouldn't work with the anti-spam registration stuff).

It's not that easy a fix. I'd have to directly edit the subSilver template files, which is something I've stayed away from so far. But I will look into it if it turns out I have to stick with subSilver as the default style.
Topic Author
Alex Frakt
Founder

Re: Larger print needed

Post by Alex Frakt »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Hi Alec"
My primary complaint of the new forum is the small, less easily read print. I increase the size to 125% (still small) but it cuts off the sides of the web page so I often must scroll at the bottom.
I'm not sure how you are increasing the size, but I can offer a couple of suggestions.

If you are using Internet Explorer, go to the "View" menu item, then click "Text Size" then "Larger". The problem is that this will only work if you choose the Simple White style (at least with IE 6.0, it might be different with later versions).

If you are using the Firefox browser, you can increase the text size with any style by going to View - Text Size - Increase (or just holding down the "Ctrl" key and hitting "+").

Firefox is a free download and is definitely worth a try. I only use IE for testing now.
Bylo Selhi

Re: Larger print needed

Post by Bylo Selhi »

lowwall wrote:I only use IE for testing now.
Check out IETab. Granted it still uses the IE engine but it's so much more convenient. And because it still uses the IE engine you can now do even Windows Update from within Firefox.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Larger Type

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Hi Alex:

I did as you suggested and went to "plain white." It allows me to increase type size--and I like "white" better, anyway.

A great improvement for me and maybe others, too.

Thank you and best wishes.

Taylor