Please Try Out Test Posts Here

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
tfb

Please Try Out Test Posts Here

Post by tfb »

[The moderator has "stickied" this thread to put at the top every time the forum is displayed. If you want to try out some forum feature, use this thread for your test posts.]

Note: Test posts may be deleted after the poster has a chance to see that everything is working. So make sure you have a copy of anything you post here that you want to save.

The is a test post for the purpose of demonstrating the features of the new board.

1. Including a link is easy. No more entering html code. Just paste the link url. That's it! For example, here's a link to Vanguard home page:

http://www.vanguard.com

2. Formatting text is easy. Just highlight a block of text, hit the 'B' button for bold, 'i' for italics, 'u' for underline. For example:

Vanguard Diehards Forum
Last edited by tfb on Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
tfb

Re: test post: feature demo

Post by tfb »

tfb wrote:The is a test post for the purpose of demonstrating the features of the new board.
Quoting the post you are responding to is also easy. Just hit the quote button before you reply.

Edit: corrected typo

Editing a post is also easy. If you made typo or want to make clarification, no problem! Just hit the Edit button. Common usage requires that you put a note at the end saying what you edited, but it's totally up to you!
Topic Author
tfb

creating a table

Post by tfb »

Testing creating a table. Hit the Code button, paste the table, then hit the Code button again.

Code: Select all

Returns as of 01/31/2007
                           1 Year    5 Year    10 Year
                           ---------------------------
Admiral Trsy Money Mkt     4.80%     2.34%     3.67%
Federal Money Mkt Fund     4.90%     2.32%     3.72%
Prime Money Mkt Fund       4.98%     2.35%     3.77%
Treasury Money Mkt Fund    4.64%     2.17%     3.50%
Not bad!
Harry Sit has left the forums.
Topic Author
tfb

formatting

Post by tfb »

I found a much easier way to format text. Maybe others already knew. Just select the part of the text you want to format ("highlight" it), then hit the 'B' button for bold, 'i' for italics, 'u' for underline.

Updated first post.
Last edited by tfb on Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Sit has left the forums.
Bylo Selhi

Re: TFB

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Wagnerjb wrote:Hi TFB: How do I quote just a part of somebody's posting? I have tried using the Quote feature, but it captures the entire post (then, I simply cut out the part I don't want).
That's probably the easiest way to do it.
The esteemed poster Wagnerjb wrote:Alternatively, I can use the M* method of cutting and pasting from the other conversation and highlighting the text, but that leaves the author's name off.
You can also highlight the text you want to quote then click on the Quote button. That won't insert the author's name but you can add it by appending ="username." In fact, you can append almost anything you like as I did here using this:

[quote="The esteemed poster Wagnerjb"]Alternatively...off.[/quote]
Last edited by Bylo Selhi on Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simba

Re: TFB

Post by simba »

Andy - There are may roads to Dublin :wink:

One option is what you are doing
Second option is copy the content you want to quote (could be from the earlier post or from another website) and in your reply hit the "Quote" button, paste the content you want to quote and then hit the Quote button.

Same goes for bold/italics/underline etc.
simba

Post by simba »

AshKK wrote:Also, I would like to know how to display tables (something with aligned rows and columns).
http://www.diehards.org/forum/faq.php?mode=bbcode

gives an intro to bbcode on how to create lists/tables / including images etc
hansp

Re: Graph?

Post by hansp »

squirl wrote:How do you include a graph from a spreadsheet?

TIA

Lynn
From the bbCodeGuide
...the image you display must already be available on the Internet (it cannot exist only on your computer, for example, unless you run a webserver!). There is currently no way of storing images locally with phpBB (all these issues are expected to be addressed in the next release of phpBB). To display an image, you must surround the URL pointing to the image with tags.
Looks like for now:
  1. you'd have to save the graph as an image file
  2. put it up on the web somewhere
  3. link to that url with the img tags
hansp

Creating lists

Post by hansp »

Lists (like the one in my previous post) are easy!

For a bulleted list:
  • Click "List"
  • Type * inside [] followed by the text for each item in your list
  • Click "List" again to end the list
For an ordered list:
  1. Do the same as above, except click "List="
  2. Put a "1" after the =
  3. You still use a * in [] for each item
  4. the software knows to increment each item
Doing the same as above except with an "a" instead of a "1" will give:
  1. An alphabetical list
Check out http://www.diehards.org/forum/faq.php?mode=bbcode#6 for more details.

Hans
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

Squirl wrote:How do you include a graph from a spreadsheet?
hansp wrote:
  1. you'd have to save the graph as an image file
  2. put it up on the web somewhere
  3. link to that url with the img tags
Step 1) For a really simple way, try pressing the Print Screen button on your keyboard, which will take a snapshot of your screen, and then pasting into a graphics program. Save as PNG or JPG for best quality, or if it's a simple graph without a lot of color, GIF will work.

Step 2) Host the image at ImageShack. It's simple and free. (Unless its a really detailed graph, you'll probably want to check the resize option to make the graphic a manageable size. An example 640x480 sized image is shown below and may be about the maximum size you need).

Step 3) Once you push the Host It! button at ImageShack, it will show you a whole bunch of URL addresses. Use the bottom URL to paste into your message here.

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

CyberBob wrote:Host the image at ImageShack.
I prefer http://tinypic.com/ because it's even simpler to use and it produces IMG links without referbacks.

Also, there's a companion site that's worth mentioning, http://tinyurl.com/ A lot of forum software, including phpBB, doesn't handle long URLs very well. In phpBB's case, it stretches the width of thread displays making them very hard to read. (There's a MOD to phpBB that addresses this problem that I imagine is on Phoenix's and Alex's to-do list (hint, hint ;)))

Another reason for using tinyURL.com is that phpBB sometimes has trouble with URLs that contain special characters. If you see that when you Preview a post, just use tinyURL.com to make the URL compatible with phpBB.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Check out this thread: Making Avatars from Photos
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

gkaplan wrote:Now if I only can figure out those other features...
Check out the page on BBCode.

Bob
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

Zapped wrote:
CyberBob wrote: Step 3) Once you push the Host It! button at ImageShack, it will show you a whole bunch of URL addresses. Use the bottom URL to paste into your message here.
TinyPic works really well too, and will even give you the URL with the [IMG] tags already in it.

Bob
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Date	Fed Funds	91 Day	10 Yr	30 Yr
01/02/08	4.10%	3.25%	3.91%	4.35%
01/03/08	4.25%	3.23%	3.89%	4.37%
01/04/08	4.20%	3.20%	3.86%	4.36%
01/07/08	4.26%	3.25%	3.83%	4.34%
01/08/08	4.28%	3.22%	3.78%	4.31%
Mel,
I copied a highlighted range in an Excel spreadsheet and pasted it onto this forum. Pretty straightforward. Thanks for your kind remarks.
Mel Lindauer

Re: editing

Post by Mel Lindauer »

dicky wrote:trying to corect a post i previously submitted. used edit button but did not change text.
When you hit "edit", you get a box similar to the one you originally typed your message in, except it now contains your message, as posted.

Simply make your changes in that box and then hit "Submit" again, so the new changes can take effect.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Parthenon

Wrong Spelling

Post by Parthenon »

See if I can go back and correct spelling errors in the subject line.

Yes, spelling errors can be corrected. Makes me wonder why people let those errors go uncorrected unless they are not aware.
"What am I gonna do if I run out of money?"
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Please Try Out Test Posts Here

Post by LadyGeek »

Wiki article link: Posting images in the Bogleheads forum (If the image needs no editing, but it is not yet on a Web page)

(Update: I see you figured it out.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Use the IMG_resize button, 2nd one from the right at the top of the edit box. I set the width to 40%. Quote my post to see how it's done.

Update: Image resize fix, post updated to %.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

schuyler74 wrote:
LowER wrote:How do I subscribe to a thread without posting?
Actually, posting to a thread doesn't subscribe to it. To subscribe, click the link at the very bottom of the page that says "Subscribe Topic". Then you'll get an email every time there's a post you haven't read yet (the site keeps track of which posts you've seen).
As schuyler74 says, here's a thread about it: New Post Notification, which contains additional links if this doesn't answer your question.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sorry, the forum software does not allow HTML. It's restricted to what's known as "BBCode" which is described here: BBCode

Select the link and click on the "URL" button in the edit box menu. To insert a text description use the form as shown in the Wikipedia article. The above link is formatted as:

[url=http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97352&p=1405885#p1405885]Retiree Roth Conversion Decision Model[/url]
Which appears as: Retiree Roth Conversion Decision Model

The link is pointing to a specific post. If you want to point to the thread, click on the link at the top of the thread - on the left side, above the first post.

[url=http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97352]Retiree Roth Conversion Decision Model[/url]
Retiree Roth Conversion Decision Model
90south

Post by 90south »

Links are good

IRS 1099 order site

Can't live without the ability to post raw text

while /bin/true; do
    echo "This is a test of real code"
done
Bullet lists are my favorite. Always provide 3 solutions to a problem, while implying a preference :happy
  • solution 1
  • solution 2
  • solution 3
Thanks for the ability to test post first.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

ruralavalon wrote:...
Can someone explain this to me in really easy to understsand terms (you don't have to start with "turn your computer on", but please make it pretty basic)?
I'll take a swing.

An image server is a web server that hosts images for display on the internet. (This forum's policy is we will not host images.)

For fun, click on any image and select "Properties". This will show you the complete name of the image file and the web server that is hosting the image. Why do you care? Because you can probably use the same free image server to host your image.
  • Partial list of free image servers.
    tinypic.com
    photobucket.com

Follow their instructions to upload your image.

Use the copy/paste function to copy your assigned image filename and paste it into your post.
Once your image is correctly sized and on a web server... (I don't remember the forum sizing requirements.), place the IMG tag pair around your assigned image filename in your post. It looks like this:

[img]AssignedImageFilename[/img]
Test your post using the forum Preview option to ensure your image displays properly.

So the simple steps are:

1. Edit/resize your image.

2. Upload it to an image server.

3. Reference your image by its assigned filename in your post and surrounded by the IMG tag pair.

4. Test your post.

Done.

Example.

Notice below image. (I copied its filename from a post above. I worked my fingers to the bone using right-click/copy filename/paste. Oh the pain!)

Right-click on the image and select Properties. Notice the image server is photobucket.com.

Then select Quote on this post and view the IMG tag pair around the filename Photobucket assigned to the image.

Go forth and do the same.

d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

ruralavalon wrote:I get as far as creating the comparison graph at Morningstar. Is there any more to do before the steps you describe?
The steps vary somewhat depending on your browser. With FireFox for Windows 7, you right-click on the graph. One of the context-menu choices is Save Image As . . . If that is selected, a file-save box appears. The default for my brower is GenerateFundChart.ashx.png.

You can change the name to whatever you like and select the folder to save it in. That will save it to your hard drive or flash drive or whatever you choose. You should be able to then open the saved file with an image-viewer or paint program.

From there, dratkinson's instructions are solid.

Brian
Default User BR

ruralavalon wrote:We have windows, use internet explorer.
When I right click on the graph, and choose "properties,"
With IE, right-click and select "Save Picture".

Brian
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Default User BR wrote:
ruralavalon wrote:We have windows, use internet explorer.
When I right click on the graph, and choose "properties,"
With IE, right-click and select "Save Picture".

Brian
When I right click on a graph, pie chart, table, or style box at M*, "save picture" is not one of the choices.

When I did that on this chart on the wiki, http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/File:TrinityTable3.jpg , one of the choices is "save picture as".
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

From this website: http://globalquote.morningstar.com/glob ... -US&reg=US (Microsoft Corporation)

This works in Firefox: Put your mouse in the center of the graphs and right-click, select "View image", which now shows a long URL: http://globalquote.morningstar.com/glob ... hasF=false

Put that in the img quotes as:

[img]http://globalquote.morningstar.com/globalcomponent/GenerateStockChart.ashx?chart=fivedays&w=955&h=266&range=&ticker=XNAS%3AMSFT&color=0|&lan=en-US&region=USA&cfg=GF:7&curry=USD&extraParam=0|0&isS=true&isD=true&hasF=false[/img]
To get:
I tried this in IE and it would not let me view the picture, the above technique won't work. My only option is "Save Picture" then save the file to your PC. :annoyed
Default User BR

Here's exactly what I did:
1. Went to this URL for VTSMX: http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/VTSMX/f?t=VTSMX
3. On that graph, clicked More.
4. On the resulting graph, right-clicked and selected Save Picture.

Brian
Default User BR

ruralavalon wrote:Tried to skip ahead to things already on our computer, right clicked on a picture and on a WPerfect document.

Did not get "view image", "save picture", or anything similar sounding as a choice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Went to Yahoo and right clicked on a picture, selected "copy shortcut", got a long url, tried to put in quotes and insert in the img function, got this:

[img]"http://hsrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AtJeSA638Njg ... SQHhXPelI-"[/img]
Make sure you get to the correct chart first. The one on the site I linked didn't allow me to save it as an image. By clicking More (which you usually want anyway) you get one that does.

Brian
SimpleGift

Post by SimpleGift »

ruralavalon wrote:No success, will copy and save the instructions. I am probably misunderstanding something real basic, and so will try again in few days when less frustrated.
When willing to try again, are you open trying to a new approach to image capture?

This doesn't involve saving the image to your computer directly from the web (though this a viable approach, outlined by others upthread), but rather copying the image to your computer — so you can then save, resize, annotate and ultimately share the image. How you do this depends on your operating system:
  • • For Windows 7: Use the Snipping Tool, as explained here.
    • For Windows Vista: Also use the Snipping Tool, as explained here.
    • For Mac OS 10.4 or later: Use the Preview app (Grab or Take Screen Shot > From Selection), explained here.
Once you learn this trick, you then can capture any chart, table or photo from the Web, crop it, resize it or annotate it as you like — then upload it to an image sharing site for posting to the Forum.
#Cruncher

Post by #Cruncher »

Dale_G wrote:Image
Dale, it looks like you're trying to embed an image in a post and have it link to a web site. Instructions are included to do this in Showing images in posts in the BBCode guide.

For example, the following displays your graph and makes it link to Morningstar:

[url=http://www.morningstar.com][img]http://i43.tinypic.com/2nr0ox3.png[/img][/url]
Click the image to go to morningstar's web site.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

pennstater2005 wrote:How do I snip quotes?
Reply to the thread (PostReply), then underneath the post area is the rest of the thread. Scroll down to the post of interest, then swipe (select) the desired section with your mouse. Hit the "Quote" button in the top right corner of the post you've just swiped. It shows up in the post.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

GFD45 - Sorry, we don't allow attachments in this forum. You'll need to upload the image to an external website.

This might help: Posting images in the Bogleheads forum
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

rjb112 wrote:How do you post screenshots?

I notice that the Jing/Screencast.com embed code does not work. Already tried it.

It's easy to take a screenshot and then send it to screencast.com, then post the URL to that screenshot.
But how do you post the screenshot itself?
This software uses BBCode, HTML will not work. Just take the URL and embed it within the Image
rjb112

Post by rjb112 »

Let's try this again. I took a screenshot of a graph on M*, then posted it to screencast

Here's the URL that screencast assigned it: http://screencast.com/t/C7sy4OjHs

I clicked the Img button, then inserted the sceencast URL.

It doesn't work. I get this error message: "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image."

I'm using the latest version of Internet Explorer, which is IE 11

Yes, when I click the Img button, it shows the tags with lower case, as in img

Your comments appreciated. Why isn't this working? Wild guess: does this not work with the latest version of Internet Explorer?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The screencast URL is not an image. It's a webpage chock full of HTML, which is why you see the ad at the top of the page and the screencast footer. The software doesn't like any of that code, so it gives you the only error message it knows "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image."

I get the error when I try to embed that URL inside the img tag:

[img]http://screencast.com/t/C7sy4OjHs[/img]
You need to view only the image. My prior post was for FireFox. OK, I've got IE 11. That's a bit more tricky.

Hover your mouse over the image, right-click --> "Copy shortcut". In a new tab, right-click your mouse --> Paste into the address bar. The image appears by itself. That's the URL you want to use.

[img]http://content.screencast.com/users/ETF1/folders/Jing/media/8f542e2f-1084-4fd2-9299-ddf894704b8b/2014-10-05_2033.png[/img]
Will produce:

For completeness, in Chrome:

Hover your mouse over the image. Right-click --> Copy image URL. Paste into your post, surround with img tags as shown above.
JenDesi7

Test Post

Post by JenDesi7 »

Making a test post to see what shows up.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Some have asked how do I get symbols like these

👄👌👬🍟

They are on your keyboard if you have as ipad
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
SailingAway

Post by SailingAway »

Testing
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

Trying to catch up to livesoft, nisiprius and Valuehinker post count ;-)
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Become a site admin and move threads to the forum they belong in. :wink:
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Normally I don't even read this thread, but I felt my ears burning. Weird.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

LadyGeek wrote:Become a site admin and move threads to the forum they belong in. :wink:
LadyGeek, Thanks for the great work in maintaining Bogleheads. One of the best websites/forums on the interwebs.
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

livesoft wrote:Normally I don't even read this thread, but I felt my ears burning. Weird.
:happy Sorry livesoft. I'm always happy to read your posts.
InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb »

BB code used to be on in signatures.
Is there a reason it was turned off? I would like to be able to bold some of the text if possible.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

BBCode was turned off because signatures were becoming overly distracting. Members were becoming "creative" and the site owner, Alex Frakt, decided to disable BBCodes in signatures. Here's the Forum Policy:
Signatures, Location, Website, etc. - To keep the forums readable and the signal to noise ratio high, all profile information, including Signatures and Locations must be free of commercial messages, non-controversial, short, and normal text only (no external links, no images, no line breaks, and no distracting formatting). Locations must be physical locations such as city, state, country or region. The Website field may only be used for your blog or other personal website.
MoneyIsntEverything

Post by MoneyIsntEverything »

Deleted
Last edited by MoneyIsntEverything on Wed May 17, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

You weren't doing anything wrong, I needed to fix it from my end. Your signature is now working.

My prior post explains why BBCodes are disabled. If anyone wants the wiki logo in their signature, please PM me.
Toons

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I updated the wiki: Posting FAQ for the Bogleheads® forum ("Add a wiki link to your signature")