some posts too wide

Discussions about the forum and contents
jeffyscott

some posts too wide

Post by jeffyscott » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:35 pm

In some discussions the posts become super-wide and go off-screen. It is annoying to have to scroll back and forth to read them. Can something be done so this does not happen?
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

tashina
Site Admin

Post by tashina » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:38 pm

If you are talking about the ones that scroll due to long links, that can be fixed after the server move.

If it's something else, post a link to one and I'll take a look.

shadowrings

Post by shadowrings » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:57 am

http://diehards.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=474
This is the only one I can find right now but there was at the time of tashina's initial post a much worse offender. Wasn't a link or a quote but was twice the width of the 17in monitor i was using at work to read it. Went looking for it when seen tash's post later but couldn't find it, author must have edited it to fix.

regards
vickie

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:26 am

Yes, I think that is the one I was looking at when I decided to post about the problem. I assumed it might be due to long links...but looking at that one maybe it is the image that is causing it???

I noticed that in this discussion stays in the window as I shrink it, while the one with the wideness problem does not.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:27 am

I took a look at the link shadowrings mentioned. The problem appears to be with alec's 36 month correlation image.

The poster immediately after alec reposted the image in a quote, this moved the margin even farther to the right. I deleted the second image so the thread is somewhat better.

We'll look into this more fully after the move.

tjwolf

Still to wide

Post by tjwolf » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:01 am

Take a look at the topic: "Vanguard FTSE All-...." Many of the responses are off the screen and you have to scroll sideways to read them.

A simple programming change? Thanks for your great board!

Tom
Tom

Bylo Selhi

Re: Still to wide

Post by Bylo Selhi » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:27 am

tjwolf wrote:Take a look at the topic: "Vanguard FTSE All-...." Many of the responses are off the screen and you have to scroll sideways to read them.
It's because of the long URL posted in http://www.diehards.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4786#4786
A simple programming change?
Yes. There's a phpBB MOD that automatically shortens that URL to https://flagship.vanguard.com/VGApp/hnw ... 07_ALL.jsp

(Or for now posters could try to remember to use the URL tag to create a link like this.)

arrete

Post by arrete » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:00 am

I fixed the Vanguard FTSE All thread using the LINK method. Hope cfs doesn't mind.

Kathy
Quando omni flunkus moritati

Mel Lindauer

Wide posts

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:20 pm

I've gotten several PMs when members noticed problems, and I've simply edited the offending posts by converting the long URLs to tiny URLs. That eliminated the problem.

Regards,

Mel

Bylo Selhi

Re: Wide posts

Post by Bylo Selhi » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:42 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:I've gotten several PMs when members noticed problems, and I've simply edited the offending posts by converting the long URLs to tiny URLs. That eliminated the problem.
A better solution is the MODification that eliminates the Moderator (to shorten URLs, at least ;))

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:08 pm

Bylo Selhi wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:I've gotten several PMs when members noticed problems, and I've simply edited the offending posts by converting the long URLs to tiny URLs. That eliminated the problem.
A better solution is the MODification that eliminates the Moderator (to shorten URLs, at least ;))
Hi Bylo:

Not sure I understand. Should I just leave them along when someone complains to me about the wide widths in a PM? I certainly don't want to be guilty of overMODerating!

Best regards,

Mel

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:38 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:Not sure I understand.
Mel, just my bad attempt at humor. There's a modification (called a MOD) available to the phpBB forum software that automatically does what you and the other moderators currently do now manually. I imagine that the Admins will install it once they have some time.

cfs

Guilty as charge

Post by cfs » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:40 pm

Some of my URLs are extra long - not a problem on my computer, but obviously a problem in other computers. Will keep them SHORT from now on.

cfs
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:41 pm

Bylo Selhi wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:Not sure I understand.
Mel, just my bad attempt at humor. There's a modification (called a MOD) available to the phpBB forum software that automatically does what you and the other moderators currently do now manually. I imagine that the Admins will install it once they have some time.
Hi Bylo:

The technical humor goes right over my head, since I'm not in the loop on that stuff!

Best regards,

Mel

arrete

Post by arrete » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:48 pm

cfs wrote:Some of my URLs are extra long - not a problem on my computer, but obviously a problem in other computers. Will keep them SHORT from now on.
Thanks for understanding, cfs. It's hard to keep track - what with all the different operating systems and all.

Er, is your avatar sort of a petroglyph? Degree in geology long ago - in fact, when I was doing FORTRAN.

Kathy

cfs

My avatar

Post by cfs » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:06 pm

Kathy, good question about my avatar. You can see the dinosaur with the map of UTAH in the background, and a dinosaur track [it is all about the dinosaur tracks at Johnson Farm in St George UTAH]. Read about UTAH's first residents on the link.

http://tinyurl.com/24hhj9

cfs
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

shadowrings

Post by shadowrings » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:33 pm

arrete wrote:Degree in geology long ago - in fact, when I was doing FORTRAN.
Kathy
Small world Kathy. Started out comp sci major, ended up in geology. Ran into money and other speed bumps and didn't finish that degree though I would have liked to. Ended up with a Board of Regents Bachelor's a few years ago. Though that early interest in geology and some of is cousin sciences has never really died.. still keep the nose in some of the recent discoveries just cause its all so ineresting. :lol:

vickie
Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people. | --- Carl G. Jung

coastn

wide again

Post by coastn » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:09 am

Psst - the periodic table thread in the invesment forum is off the screen. The software may have dropped a stitch? Hate to be a pest . . .

-David
Do good. Do well. Take a nap.

arrete

Post by arrete » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:56 am

Psst - the periodic table thread in the invesment forum is off the screen.
I think some of the pictures are too big. Making the periodic tables smaller would probably make them unreadable, so I think this is one case where we'll just have to put up with scrolling side-to-side.

Kathy