Blocking Member Posts

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
DoubleComma

Blocking Member Posts

Post by DoubleComma »

Many forums will allow you to block specific member’s posts from showing in my view. Is that possible here?

I find myself getting more and more agitated with certain posters and opposed to leaving the forum I would rather have the option to block, and not see content, from those few individuals.
whodidntante

Re: Blocking Member Posts

Post by whodidntante »

Much like a vanguard mutual fund, phpBB tends to be chosen by rigorous sorting on price.
Topic Author
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

whodidntante wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:24 pm Much like a vanguard mutual fund, phpBB tends to be chosen by rigorous sorting on price.
It’s a definite option within phpBB. There is a Friends & Foes options, where adding a user as a foe blocks their posts from showing in my view. However it appears that Bogleheads only enabled the friend side of the equation. I wish we would consider activating the foe option as well. It’s a great way to avoid conflict and the “foe” doesn’t even know so there isn’t any hurt feelings.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Squelch
Last edited by whodidntante on Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billaster

Post by billaster »

Scroll wheel works.
MarkRoulo

Post by MarkRoulo »

DoubleComma wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:19 pm Many forums will allow you to block specific member’s posts from showing in my view. Is that possible here?

I find myself getting more and more agitated with certain posters and opposed to leaving the forum I would rather have the option to block, and not see content, from those few individuals.
An earlier thread on this subject was clear that the intent is to NOT support this feature.
To be clear, the site owners do not want this feature enabled. This decision won't change.

viewtopic.php?t=252119 (at the bottom)
Topic Author
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

Guess it’s time I will choose to make my exit.
steadyosmosis

Post by steadyosmosis »

Disengage.
Age<59.5. Early-retired. AA ~55/45. Taxable account, Roth IRA, HSA...all are 100% equities. 100% of fixed income is in tIRA. I spend from taxable account and rebalance in tIRA.
fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce »

Even if you were able to block certain users’s posts, presumably you would still see posts from others where they were replied to and quoted.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sorry, but the site owners do not want members blocked.

This is the "Friends and Foes" feature found in the User Control Panel. The "Foes" feature is not enabled.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Is it me? I barely even post anymore.
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:25 am Is it me? I barely even post anymore.
Not just you, but we might just be getting old.
Then ’tis like the breath of an unfee’d lawyer.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

I don’t like some posts either but those can simply be ignored without appealing all the way to the “Quit Court.”

Relax, life is too short.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

HueyLD wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:03 am I don’t like some posts either but those can simply be ignored without appealing all the way to the “Quit Court.”

I've always skipped a lot - not just because of content but length and lack of formatting.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Sourc3

Post by Sourc3 »

Do you visit the website on desktop and which browser do you use? Depending on the answers above you can use a small chrome extension that can hide posts from your view based on the text (poster user name)
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I use a large icon to make it easier for you to scroll past my posts without having to read them.
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:20 am Sorry, but the site owners do not want members blocked.

This is the "Friends and Foes" feature found in the User Control Panel. The "Foes" feature is not enabled.
Bravo! Moderator’s do a great job!
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

SmileyFace wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:18 am I use a large icon to make it easier for you to scroll past my posts without having to read them.
And what a nice icon it is as well!

So glad someone encouraged you to clean it up a while back.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 pm
SmileyFace wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:18 am I use a large icon to make it easier for you to scroll past my posts without having to read them.
And what a nice icon it is as well!

So glad someone encouraged you to clean it up a while back.
Yup - I remember!
:sharebeer
delamer

Post by delamer »

There are a couple posters who I feel the same way about.

I just don’t engage with them, and ignore or just skim their posts.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

DoubleComma wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:19 pm I find myself getting more and more agitated with certain posters and opposed to leaving the forum I would rather have the option to block, and not see content, from those few individuals.
Well now everyone thinks it might be them. Except the ones who don't. Because anti-anxiety medication works.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
delamer

Post by delamer »

Beensabu wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 pm
DoubleComma wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:19 pm I find myself getting more and more agitated with certain posters and opposed to leaving the forum I would rather have the option to block, and not see content, from those few individuals.
Well now everyone thinks it might be them. Except the ones who don't. Because anti-anxiety medication works.
Generally, the people who are the most annoying are the least self-aware. That’s why they are annoying. :D

(Or they don’t care.)
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

delamer wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 pm
Generally, the people who are the most annoying are the least self-aware. That’s why they are annoying. :D

(Or they don’t care.)
It could always be both. :wink: :twisted:
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

Fortunately i don't post often enough to annoy too many people other than an occasional admin.
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

Beensabu wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 pm

(Or they don’t care.)
It could always be both. :wink: :twisted:
Both Things Can Be True, Says Man Lying Twice
Then ’tis like the breath of an unfee’d lawyer.
slow n steady

Post by slow n steady »

SmileyFace wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:18 am BLURRRRRRRRR
I wonder what Smiley Face had to say about this topic. Scrolled to fast to see it, all well. :D

In all seriousness one user used to bother me a lot. I trained myself to not look those posts or replies from that user and it doesn't bother me anymore. :sharebeer
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

I imagine another xkcd cartoon.

Guy is in bed and can't sleep. Q: Why can't you sleep? A: Someone on the internet makes me angry.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

jebmke wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:07 am
HueyLD wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:03 am I don’t like some posts either but those can simply be ignored without appealing all the way to the “Quit Court.”
I've always skipped a lot - not just because of content but length and lack of formatting.
I can overlook spelling (I especially love “withdrawls,” which I can’t get past my spell checker), but I just won’t read those large solid blocks of text without any white space. You’d think that we get charged per paragraph.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

Just because I am paranoid doesn’t mean everyone out in BH land is not out to get me.
delamer

Post by delamer »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:22 pm
I can overlook spelling (I especially love “withdrawls,” which I can’t get past my spell checker), but I just won’t read those large solid blocks of text without any white space. You’d think that we get charged per paragraph.
Hah!
Tamalak

Post by Tamalak »

(Or they don’t care.)
I'm not going to give up my international allocation no matter how many people block me :D
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:22 pm
I feel bad now.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Yes, probably a good percentage of us think that we are among the posters that at least some number want to block. We are probably the same posters who feel that it was our fault when a previously prolific poster goes AWOL.

Maybe I need some of that anti-anxiety medication you’re referring to. :beer
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:09 pm We are probably the same posters who feel that it was our fault when a previously prolific poster goes AWOL.
Yeah, that was probably definitely my fault at least one time.

:oops:
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

You don't have to block my posts. Just look for the fat litttle mouse on the right side, and scroll on past.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

DoubleComma wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:41 pm Guess it’s time I will choose to make my exit.
Please don't do this. I know what you are talking about as there are a few posters that are continually negative, feel a need to act like a moderator, or just post repeatedly for no real reason other than cherry picking little nuggets of posts to disagree. I have trained myself to just scroll past these posters and look forward to the contributions of the countless other members who provide actual meaningful content. One of the benefits of a social media site, such as this site, is the learning process associated with opposing views and the resulting dialogue. Unfortunately, this learning process must also include methods to tune out the negativity. Please stay..... :sharebeer
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

AllMostThere wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:43 am
DoubleComma wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:41 pm Guess it’s time I will choose to make my exit.
Please don't do this. I know what you are talking about as there are a few posters that are continually negative, feel a need to act like a moderator, or just post repeatedly for no real reason other than cherry picking little nuggets of posts to disagree. I have trained myself to just scroll past these posters and look forward to the contributions of the countless other members who provide actual meaningful content. One of the benefits of a social media site, such as this site, is the learning process associated with opposing views and the resulting dialogue. Unfortunately, this learning process must also include methods to tune out the negativity. Please stay..... :sharebeer
When I start feeling like that, I put myself on a self-imposed “time out.” A couple of times, years ago, the mods put me on a “time out.” There might be those who feel that I don’t go away for long enough, or often enough, but I feel refreshed and ready to scroll past the noise when I return.

I feel you OP. Just take a break.
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

You're not required to read their posts.
Maybe take a break from bogleheads.
Scroll by.
Or ask yourself why are you so annoyed by somebody on the internet.
Are you spending too much time online?
I've posted a lot here over the years but am not annoyed by anyone. I don't even know these people :D
Sounds like LadyGeek gave you your answer but thought I'd offer some actionable solutions. Cheers :sharebeer
Light weight baby!
Angel of Empire

Post by Angel of Empire »

Not too long ago, we lived in a world where we it wasn't mandatory that we all think alike.

Things have changed for the worse.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

:D
DoubleComma wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:19 pm I find myself getting more and more agitated with certain posters and opposed to leaving the forum I would rather have the option to block, and not see content, from those few individuals :D .

(Or they don’t care.)
The best way to become aware is for someone to tell them. I know I’d appreciate being told I made your day 😉
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

Beensabu wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 pm Well now everyone thinks it might be them. Except the ones who don't. Because anti-anxiety medication works.
“You're so vain, you probably think this thread is about you”

Perhaps the people who annoy others to the extent of causing them to consider self-exile have no idea. But I've never been so concerned by a poster I'd leave an otherwise useful forum, so what do I know.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:00 am When I start feeling like that, I put myself on a self-imposed “time out.” A couple of times, years ago, the mods put me on a “time out.” There might be those who feel that I don’t go away for long enough, or often enough, but I feel refreshed and ready to scroll past the noise when I return.

I feel you OP. Just take a break.
I think this is good advice. But I get what the OP is saying. I post a lot less than I did in the past. A most of the time when I type a response I delete it before hitting enter. At least that I have crystalized the thought in my head.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

I've got everyone on ignore except for a couple of people, and I've got them on double secret probation
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

Angel of Empire wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:26 am Not too long ago, we lived in a world where we it wasn't mandatory that we all think alike.

Things have changed for the worse.
Do you really believe that we all think alike? It seems evident that there are many disparate opinions expressed publicly
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
houseofnine

Post by houseofnine »

I find it helpful to re-read annoying posts out loud in the style of say, Marlon Brando in the Godfather or Golem in Lord Of The Rings. Try it!
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

houseofnine wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:00 am I find it helpful to re-read annoying posts out loud in the style of say, Marlon Brando in the Godfather or Golem in Lord Of The Rings. Try it!
I should try that, as a southerner, maybe withdrawl (sorry, apologies, the joke was just sitting there :D ).
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:02 am
houseofnine wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:00 am I find it helpful to re-read annoying posts out loud in the style of say, Marlon Brando in the Godfather or Golem in Lord Of The Rings. Try it!
I should try that, as a southerner, maybe withdrawl (sorry, apologies, the joke was just sitting there :D ).
Or your best Howard Beale when reading the mega-customer service grievance thread rants.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

jebmke wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:08 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:02 am
Or your best Howard Beale when reading the mega-customer service grievance thread rants.
Or as Strother Martin said in Cool Hand Luke ... "What we've got here is a failure to communicate..."
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
BogleTaxPro

Post by BogleTaxPro »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:32 am The best way to become aware is for someone to tell them. I know I’d appreciate being told I made your day 😉
this one made my day:
by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:29 am
He’s living in an alternate reality.

:beer
jumbo shrimp

Post by jumbo shrimp »

For myself, I take note that all of our conversations here are in text. The full human expression is not here as we are not in person. So what someone may intend in their text to be warm advice, may be mildly aggressive to the person reading it. Sometimes I feel like we aren't built for the internet!

But anyways, I recommend taking a break rather than ending your time here.