Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Discussions about the forum and contents
User avatar
Topic Author
NavyIC3
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:18 pm

Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by NavyIC3 »

About a week ago, I noticed that I have to log in to Bogelhead almost every time I visit the site. I have "Remember Me" checked.
Any ideas why this is happening?
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 95112
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Forum Issues and Administration forum. I also fixed a typo in the thread title.

If you clear the browser cache (delete cookies), you'll be logged out.

Depending on how it's configured, closing a web browser will clear its cache. You'll be logged out as a result.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and explained what's wrong.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
nalor511
Posts: 4893
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by nalor511 »

The same thing happens to me on mobile (don't know if you're on mobile). On the computer, I have no issues.
pizzy
Posts: 4339
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:59 pm

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by pizzy »

Same thing has been happening to me on mobile. Very annoying.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
HomeStretch
Posts: 11177
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:06 pm

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by HomeStretch »

Any chance you are in private browser mode?
User avatar
Mel Lindauer
Moderator
Posts: 35730
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Daytona Beach Shores, Florida
Contact:

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I had the same problem recently. It seems to have corrected itself..
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
User avatar
Topic Author
NavyIC3
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:18 pm

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by NavyIC3 »

I'm on a PC. Windows 11.
User avatar
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin
Posts: 2424
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:23 am
Location: Calgary, AB 🇨🇦
Contact:

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

To help in investigating it would be helpful of those experiencing the issue would report what operating system and what browser they are using.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
pizzy
Posts: 4339
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:59 pm

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by pizzy »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:48 am To help in investigating it would be helpful of those experiencing the issue would report what operating system and what browser they are using.
IPhone iOS 17, chrome browser
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
montanagirl
Posts: 1793
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:55 pm
Location: Montana

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by montanagirl »

NavyIC3 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:27 pm About a week ago, I noticed that I have to log in to Bogelhead almost every time I visit the site. I have "Remember Me" checked.
Any ideas why this is happening?
Same here in Android. Remember Me never makes any diff. Chrome version 118.0.5993.112
Last edited by montanagirl on Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
FoolMeOnce
Posts: 1382
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by FoolMeOnce »

And here I thought one of our own stopped some deforestation.

This was happening to me on mobile chrome on Android for much of October, but it has been fine for the last week or so. I wasn't clearing my cache and didn't have it set to do so automatically.
Dottie57
Posts: 12293
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm
Location: Earth Northern Hemisphere

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by Dottie57 »

Yes, this happenscto me. I use a password manager so not a problem for me.

Same behavior is happening to me on another forum based on same base software as this forum.

I also just updated to ipad os 17 within the same time frame.

Ipad is my main forum browsing tool.
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 95112
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by LadyGeek »

FoolMeOnce wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:07 am And here I thought one of our own stopped some deforestation.

This was happening to me on mobile chrome on Android for much of October, but it has been fine for the last week or so. I wasn't clearing my cache and didn't have it set to do so automatically.
We updated the forum software on 10/31. Part of the standard update procedure is to do a refresh of the displayed website, which should have forced everyone's browsers to download a fresh copy. It's why everyone saw the MacOS Safari bug fix right away. Your browser got a fresh copy of the those files.
Dottie57 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:15 am Yes, this happenscto me. I use a password manager so not a problem for me.

Same behavior is happening to me on another forum based on same base software as this forum.

I also just updated to ipad os 17 within the same time frame.

Ipad is my main forum browsing tool.
It's happening on another forum that uses the same software? That's a clue.

Sorry, I can't reproduce this problem.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Dottie57
Posts: 12293
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm
Location: Earth Northern Hemisphere

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by Dottie57 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:19 am
FoolMeOnce wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:07 am And here I thought one of our own stopped some deforestation.

This was happening to me on mobile chrome on Android for much of October, but it has been fine for the last week or so. I wasn't clearing my cache and didn't have it set to do so automatically.
We updated the forum software on 10/31. Part of the standard update procedure is to do a refresh of the displayed website, which should have forced everyone's browsers to download a fresh copy. It's why everyone saw the MacOS Safari bug fix right away. Your browser got a fresh copy of the those files.
Dottie57 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:15 am Yes, this happenscto me. I use a password manager so not a problem for me.

Same behavior is happening to me on another forum based on same base software as this forum.

I also just updated to ipad os 17 within the same time frame.

Ipad is my main forum browsing tool.
It's happening on another forum that uses the same software? That's a clue.

Sorry, I can't reproduce this problem.
It is a form whic has been highly modified.
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 95112
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by LadyGeek »

Modifications on how the forum looks should not affect logging out problems.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
BogleTaxPro
Posts: 606
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:08 pm

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by BogleTaxPro »

NavyIC3 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:37 am I'm on a PC. Windows 11.
When I use my PC with Windows 11 and Firefox, I don't have a problem. It stays logged in. And I don't check 'remember me'. What browser are you using?

I do note that when I use my Android phone with Chrome, I get logged out after awhile even if I don't close the Chrome app on my phone. I just assumed I have some sort of timeout setting somewhere and shrugged my shoulders. I usually do all my responding on the computer because the phone keyboard is just too slow for typing.
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 95112
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by LadyGeek »

If you don't check the 'remember me' box when you login, you'll stay logged in until you try to make post.

On logging out, perhaps there is something with the browser's cookie settings? It's not the cache, but the browser cookies which manage your login status. Delete the cookie, you are logged out.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
User avatar
Halicar
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:41 am
Location: Midwest

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by Halicar »

This continues to happen for me on Edge on my Android phone. I have to log in every time I visit. I think it's important to add that the same thing is happening with another forum that uses the same software, so it seems to be an issue with phpBB and not Bogleheads specifically.
pizzy
Posts: 4339
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:59 pm

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by pizzy »

Still happening. Chrome on iPhone.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
User avatar
Mel Lindauer
Moderator
Posts: 35730
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Daytona Beach Shores, Florida
Contact:

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by Mel Lindauer »

This conduct only started recently, so perhaps something changed (update to software, etc.)? Android phone, Windows 10 and Windows 11 computers.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
User avatar
vnatale
Posts: 3073
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:50 pm
Location: Montague, MA

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by vnatale »

I have not had any issues on Motorola Android phone or Windows 10 computer.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
User avatar
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin
Posts: 2424
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:23 am
Location: Calgary, AB 🇨🇦
Contact:

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

I am not experiencing this using Edge browser on Windows 11 2H23, iOS 17.1.1 and iPadOS 17.1.1. All involved recent updates, both browser and underlying operating system. I actually cannot recall when I actually logged into Bogleheads on the devices as I always use the “Remember me” checkbox.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
nalor511
Posts: 4893
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by nalor511 »

montanagirl wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:05 am
NavyIC3 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:27 pm About a week ago, I noticed that I have to log in to Bogelhead almost every time I visit the site. I have "Remember Me" checked.
Any ideas why this is happening?
Same here in Android. Remember Me never makes any diff. Chrome version 118.0.5993.112
Android Chrome
nalor511
Posts: 4893
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by nalor511 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:48 pm I am not experiencing this using Edge browser on Windows 11 2H23, iOS 17.1.1 and iPadOS 17.1.1. All involved recent updates, both browser and underlying operating system. I actually cannot recall when I actually logged into Bogleheads on the devices as I always use the “Remember me” checkbox.
Windows chrome works
Linux Chrome works
Android Chrome logs me out every visit
Clearing cookies, cache, remember me, did not help
otinkyad
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by otinkyad »

iOS unloads apps when it needs the memory. Apparently even the “remember me” setting is a session cookie. This has been happening to me for years with Chrome on iOS. On a forum like this, I’d much prefer a cookie with a 30-day expiration or something.

On ChromeOS, on the other hand, I can restart the computer without having to log back in. I guess its notion of keeping track of where you were includes preserving session cookies.
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 95112
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by LadyGeek »

otinkyad wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:00 pm iOS unloads apps when it needs the memory. Apparently even the “remember me” setting is a session cookie. This has been happening to me for years with Chrome on iOS. On a forum like this, I’d much prefer a cookie with a 30-day expiration or something.

On ChromeOS, on the other hand, I can restart the computer without having to log back in. I guess its notion of keeping track of where you were includes preserving session cookies.
That makes perfect sense, thanks. Sorry, but we can't control cookie expiration.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
nalor511
Posts: 4893
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by nalor511 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:30 am
otinkyad wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:00 pm iOS unloads apps when it needs the memory. Apparently even the “remember me” setting is a session cookie. This has been happening to me for years with Chrome on iOS. On a forum like this, I’d much prefer a cookie with a 30-day expiration or something.

On ChromeOS, on the other hand, I can restart the computer without having to log back in. I guess its notion of keeping track of where you were includes preserving session cookies.
That makes perfect sense, thanks. Sorry, but we can't control cookie expiration.
Doesn't explain why bogleheads is the only website that logs me out on Chrome Android multiple times per day. Nobody else?
cjking
Posts: 2039
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:30 am

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by cjking »

I'd been having this problem for a long time, several months at least. This thread made me realise it's gone now. It feels to me that whatever changed to cause OP a problem might have solved the problem for me!

I use Chrome on Windows 11.
User avatar
WoodSpinner
Posts: 3482
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:15 pm

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by WoodSpinner »

I am still seeing this behavior in my iPad with Safari.

Are there any debugging steps I can help with?

iOS 16.7.2 …
WoodSpinner
fposte
Posts: 2327
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:32 pm

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by fposte »

WoodSpinner wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:02 am I am still seeing this behavior in my iPad with Safari.

Are there any debugging steps I can help with?

iOS 16.7.2 …
I’ve found this true on iOS Safari for phone and iPad for years over several devices and versions. I posted a thread on it and it just seems to be an iOS thing.
User avatar
WoodSpinner
Posts: 3482
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:15 pm

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by WoodSpinner »

fposte wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:51 am
WoodSpinner wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:02 am I am still seeing this behavior in my iPad with Safari.

Are there any debugging steps I can help with?

iOS 16.7.2 …
I’ve found this true on iOS Safari for phone and iPad for years over several devices and versions. I posted a thread on it and it just seems to be an iOS thing.
This behavior is relatively new for me and has been going on for a few months…
WoodSpinner
pizzy
Posts: 4339
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:59 pm

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by pizzy »

WoodSpinner wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:02 am I am still seeing this behavior in my iPad with Safari.

Are there any debugging steps I can help with?

iOS 16.7.2 …
Is your ipad not able to be updated?
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
ROIGuy
Posts: 2427
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 10:10 am

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by ROIGuy »

nalor511 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:52 am
LadyGeek wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:30 am
otinkyad wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:00 pm iOS unloads apps when it needs the memory. Apparently even the “remember me” setting is a session cookie. This has been happening to me for years with Chrome on iOS. On a forum like this, I’d much prefer a cookie with a 30-day expiration or something.

On ChromeOS, on the other hand, I can restart the computer without having to log back in. I guess its notion of keeping track of where you were includes preserving session cookies.
That makes perfect sense, thanks. Sorry, but we can't control cookie expiration.
Doesn't explain why bogleheads is the only website that logs me out on Chrome Android multiple times per day. Nobody else?
I have had this problem for a long time.
chuckwalla
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:25 pm

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by chuckwalla »

Is there a plan to update this 2000's style website?
nalor511
Posts: 4893
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by nalor511 »

chuckwalla wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:37 am Is there a plan to update this 2000's style website?
The interface is fine. The logging out multiple times a day on Chrome Android is not
User avatar
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin
Posts: 2424
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:23 am
Location: Calgary, AB 🇨🇦
Contact:

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:48 am To help in investigating it would be helpful of those experiencing the issue would report what operating system and what browser they are using.
A few more data points might be helpful for those experiencing the problem.

Are you connecting via Wi-Fi or cellular service?

Is your device IP address stable or constantly changing?
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Pops1860
Moderator
Posts: 1688
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:05 pm

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by Pops1860 »

Please stay focused on OP's question.

Off-topic posts risk derailing the thread discussion.

Moderator Pops1860
The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those who do not have it. ~George Bernard Shaw
Dottie57
Posts: 12293
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm
Location: Earth Northern Hemisphere

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by Dottie57 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:30 pm
Peculiar_Investor wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:48 am To help in investigating it would be helpful of those experiencing the issue would report what operating system and what browser they are using.
A few more data points might be helpful for those experiencing the problem.

Are you connecting via Wi-Fi or cellular service?

Is your device IP address stable or constantly changing?
I am on 17.x. . Still have the problem
I am using wifi.
My internal ip s assigned by router but is not static.
nalor511
Posts: 4893
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by nalor511 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:30 pm
Peculiar_Investor wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:48 am To help in investigating it would be helpful of those experiencing the issue would report what operating system and what browser they are using.
A few more data points might be helpful for those experiencing the problem.

Are you connecting via Wi-Fi or cellular service?

Is your device IP address stable or constantly changing?
It's been happening for awhile, but before that, it was not doing this constantly logging out thing.
IP Stable, wifi
Chrome 119.9.6045.134
Android 13
Samsung
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 95112
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by LadyGeek »

Since it's been happening for "a while", I'd say it wasn't tied to the recent forum software update.

Is there any way to check if this problem started after a browser update?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
User avatar
WoodSpinner
Posts: 3482
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:15 pm

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by WoodSpinner »

pizzy wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:56 am
WoodSpinner wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:02 am I am still seeing this behavior in my iPad with Safari.

Are there any debugging steps I can help with?

iOS 16.7.2 …
Is your ipad not able to be updated?
That is a current version according to Apple. I always delay upgrading major releases (e.g. 17) for 6 months to a year to allow the Bugs to be worked out by someone else.

Why do you ask?

WoodSpinner
WoodSpinner
User avatar
WoodSpinner
Posts: 3482
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:15 pm

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by WoodSpinner »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:36 pm Since it's been happening for "a while", I'd say it wasn't tied to the recent forum software update.

Is there any way to check if this problem started after a browser update?
Not on my end …
WoodSpinner
pizzy
Posts: 4339
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:59 pm

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by pizzy »

WoodSpinner wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:36 pm
pizzy wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:56 am
WoodSpinner wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:02 am I am still seeing this behavior in my iPad with Safari.

Are there any debugging steps I can help with?

iOS 16.7.2 …
Is your ipad not able to be updated?
That is a current version according to Apple. I always delay upgrading major releases (e.g. 17) for 6 months to a year to allow the Bugs to be worked out by someone else.

Why do you ask?

WoodSpinner
I asked because you weren’t on 17.

6-12 months is extreme with how much developer/public beta testing happens now.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
otinkyad
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by otinkyad »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:30 pm Are you connecting via Wi-Fi or cellular service?

Is your device IP address stable or constantly changing?
iOS, Chrome, Wi-Fi, dynamic but stable for years. All of my login keys in the UCP going back to 2020 had the same IP address.

It happens in spurts: sometimes it’s OK for days or longer, and sometimes it fails multiple times a day. It’s certainly reasonable that both my phone usage and iOS updates change how aggressive the memory-triggered app unloading is.

I don’t understand how Remember Me works, since it appears to use a session cookie (“xxx_k”).
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 95112
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by LadyGeek »

Having cookies keeps you logged in. Once you have cookies stored - Checking the "Remember me" box is important, as you'll get logged out when you try to post. Don't blame me, I didn't write the software.

If the app is removing cookies on its own, there's nothing we can do about that.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
otinkyad
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by otinkyad »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:54 pm Having cookies keeps you logged in. Once you have cookies stored - Checking the "Remember me" box is important, as you'll get logged out when you try to post. Don't blame me, I didn't write the software.

If the app is removing cookies on its own, there's nothing we can do about that.
If this was aimed at me, I’m a programmer. I’m not saying that I don’t understand cookies. I don’t understand how a session cookie, which is designed to go away when the browser exits, could be used to implement a feature that avoids future logins. There’s always an SID session cookie when you login, which is completely expected. I just expected the k cookie for “remember me” to be something different. I also don’t understand how the seemingly related login keys in the UCP work. I spent some time on the phpBB forums, but didn’t see any explanations, just user and admin stuff.

I’m not blaming anybody for anything. It’s just unpleasant behavior, I spent some time looking at it, and I don’t understand how it’s supposed to work.
Last edited by otinkyad on Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
BogleTaxPro
Posts: 606
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:08 pm

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by BogleTaxPro »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:54 pm Having cookies keeps you logged in. Once you have cookies stored - Checking the "Remember me" box is important, as you'll get logged out when you try to post. Don't blame me, I didn't write the software.

If the app is removing cookies on its own, there's nothing we can do about that.
Doh. Thanks for poking us again!! I don't like to check 'remember me' on sites on my primary (financial) computer, but I finally checked the 'remember me' box on my chrome browser on android phone (which is only used for web surfing). My issue with 'randomly' logging me out...even though I didn't close the browser window...is now gone.

(you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. go figure.) :oops:
fposte
Posts: 2327
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:32 pm

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by fposte »

WoodSpinner wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:43 am
fposte wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:51 am
WoodSpinner wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:02 am I am still seeing this behavior in my iPad with Safari.

Are there any debugging steps I can help with?

iOS 16.7.2 …
I’ve found this true on iOS Safari for phone and iPad for years over several devices and versions. I posted a thread on it and it just seems to be an iOS thing.
This behavior is relatively new for me and has been going on for a few months…
I’ve found a peculiar workaround. If I have a notification and don’t mark the thread as read, I don’t get logged out. Good reason to bookmark a pleasant long-simmering thread.
User avatar
WoodSpinner
Posts: 3482
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:15 pm

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by WoodSpinner »

fposte wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:22 am
WoodSpinner wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:43 am
fposte wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:51 am
WoodSpinner wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:02 am I am still seeing this behavior in my iPad with Safari.

Are there any debugging steps I can help with?

iOS 16.7.2 …
I’ve found this true on iOS Safari for phone and iPad for years over several devices and versions. I posted a thread on it and it just seems to be an iOS thing.
This behavior is relatively new for me and has been going on for a few months…
I’ve found a peculiar workaround. If I have a notification and don’t mark the thread as read, I don’t get logged out. Good reason to bookmark a pleasant long-simmering thread.
That doesn’t seem to work for me….

Currently testing a setting change on my iPad that seems to help

Settings>Apple ID, iCloud …>iCloud>Private Relay Off

Private Relay was suggested in an earlier discussion as a substitute for using a VPN in an earlier discussion.

WoodSpinner
WoodSpinner
michaelingp
Posts: 926
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:46 pm

Re: Boglehead Keeps Logging Out

Post by michaelingp »

Just started seeing this in the last week or two. I'm checking the remember me box. Chrome browser on a Windows PC. From the previous posts and their dates, it would not appear to be a forum software issue. but I don't see any solutions or work-arounds either. My other forums (different software) keep me logged in, so it wouldn't seem to be a setting in Chrome.

On further testing, I'm having trouble reproducing the problem. I can reboot the PC and I'm still logged on to BH.
Post Reply