What's the best way to reply to comments?

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
Jmo13151

What's the best way to reply to comments?

Post by Jmo13151 »

I made a post and about 10 people replied. I'd like to respond to several of them. What's the best way? If I leave one reply at the end of the chain, is there a way to "mention" users specifically so that they get notified of my reply? Or will they automatically get notified that OP replied to the thread?

I could reply and "quote" each one, one by one, but that would be a lot of spam.

I can also edit my original post with an "UPDATE:" at the bottom, but then how do I notify the commenters that I replied to them?

Thanks!
livesoft

Re: What's the best way to reply to comments?

Post by livesoft »

You can open a single reply and press the quote button for any comment you want to put in your post.
Jmo13151 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:29 am
Jmo13151 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:29 am
Jmo13151 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:29 am Thanks!
The quote can even be from another thread. It is helpful to have multiple windows open and know how to edit with "emacs-style" keyboard strokes such as control-a, control-f, control-b, control-p, control-n, ^-space, ^-e, ^-w, undo, etc. You should not even have to use a mouse or a touchpad and let your fingers to most of the walking.
Jmo13151 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:29 am I made a post and about 10 people replied. I'd like to respond to several of them. What's the best way? If I leave one reply at the end of the chain, is there a way to "mention" users specifically so that they get notified of my reply? Or will they automatically get notified that OP replied to the thread?

I could reply and "quote" each one, one by one, but that would be a lot of spam.

I can also edit my original post with an "UPDATE:" at the bottom, but then how do I notify the commenters that I replied to them?

Thanks!
Generally, anybody you quote will get a notification which they can click on to go directly to what you did.
Anyways, I am sure there are many "best ways" to reply to comments.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Combination of what has been stated and private messaging is an approach, sometimes both if the response is related to answering OP's question.

Tim
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Jmo13151 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:29 am I made a post and about 10 people replied. I'd like to respond to several of them.
Others have given you good ideas about HOW TO respond.

I think that it’s great that you WANT TO respond to the comments of others. I know that I appreciate it when someone else acknowledges my comments, and I expect that others feel the same way.
Former life insurance company financial officer who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Note that forum "Notifications" are configured per-user although I imagine most never change the defaults. It's possible some users turn off all notifications and will never know about your reply unless they happen to browse the topic again.

Browse to ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options to change your settings. Example, the following shows email notifications turned off, but regular site notification (the little bell in upper right of a page) turned on.

AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Some people just use the commenters name and address them that way without quoting. It’s really whatever is easiest for you. Many go back to the threads on which they’ve recently commented, so alerting them isn’t really necessary IMHO.

Sometimes if it’s not a comment that would be useful to the group I PM them.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:55 am
In contrast, I range so broadly that I need to be quoted in order to be aware of the comment and come back to the thread.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
GAAP

Post by GAAP »

David Jay wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:28 am
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:55 am
In contrast, I range so broadly that I need to be quoted in order to be aware of the comment and come back to the thread.
Similar for me, I frequently make a comment on a post, and unsubscribe from it if I'm not that interested in following it. If someone actually wants me to respond again, they are far more likely to get a response if they quote me.
“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” ― Bruce Lee