Notification doesn't go away

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
AAA

Notification doesn't go away

Post by AAA »

I am subscribed to a thread in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum. When I open my browser (Safari) and come to the forums, I have a notification (the number 1 in a red circle next to Notifications) for a post in this thread. I click on the notification to take me to the post. All well and good. However, if I leave the site, quite the browser, and even if I log out of bogleheads.org before leaving, the next time I come back it is still showing the notification for the same post that I already read. Anyone else having this "sticky notification" issue?
Stinky

Re: Notification doesn't go away

Post by Stinky »

AAA wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:19 pm I am subscribed to a thread in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum. When I open my browser (Safari) and come to the forums, I have a notification (the number 1 in a red circle next to Notifications) for a post in this thread. I click on the notification to take me to the post. All well and good. However, if I leave the site, quite the browser, and even if I log out of bogleheads.org before leaving, the next time I come back it is still showing the notification for the same post that I already read. Anyone else having this "sticky notification" issue?
That sounds like an odd one. Not a problem for me.

Maybe you should PM a moderator?
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

When you go to Notifications, is there a “Mark All Notifications Read” on the menu? Click that. I don’t have a notification right now to test, but that has worked for me in the past when I’ve gotten one of those pesky persistent notifications.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

LadyGeek is a site admin, I've flagged your post for her attention.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
Yukon

Post by Yukon »

Under notifications do you select "see all" and scroll thru all of them....I bet it's an old one still open.
Don't Work Forever.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

First, be sure you are logged into the forum. Otherwise, the notifications won't know what you're doing.

Next, go to Your posts,* which is under the "Quick links" menu in the top-left corner of the page. Every thread you've posted in will be listed.

To the left will be a red icon, which are unread posts. Click on each of those red icons to ensure you've read the post. Alternatively, you can click on the "Go to last post" link, which is in the right-most "Last post" column to the right of the poster's username. Hopefully, your notification will disappear.

Another reason for a notification is that someone quoted you in a post.

In all cases, reading the last post in a thread should clear the notifications.

In case it doesn't, go the User Control Panel --> Manage notifications,* then click on the "Mark all notifications read" link.

* Generic link that works for any username.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
AAA

Post by AAA »

Yukon wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:16 am Under notifications do you select "see all" and scroll thru all of them....I bet it's an old one still open.
I think that was it. Thanks.

And thanks LadyGeek for those instructions that could prove useful some other time.