Kiddie Bogleheads / Boglehead Seniors?

Discussions about the forum and contents
Post Reply
Topic Author
bck63
Posts: 1175
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Kiddie Bogleheads / Boglehead Seniors?

Post by bck63 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:41 am

I'm wondering if the concept of having separate sections on the board index classified by age has ever been discussed. The actionable aspect of my question is this: The board seems to be increasingly skewed toward younger investors. For a newcomer who may be older, and is new to investing, they may see a lot of posts that reflect an asset allocation nowhere near what might be safe for them at their stage in life.

Having some indication of age, and stage in the investing process might be helpful. Me as an old guy probably shouldn't be following too many suggestions from the wild young turks on here. Just a thought.

lgs88
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:48 am

Re: Kiddie Bogleheads / Boglehead Seniors?

Post by lgs88 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:57 am

bck63,

Welcome to the board. The wild stuff — the “let’s go 100% equity!” or “should I add leverage to my Namibian microcap portfolio?” threads — seem to be limited to the Theory, News, and General forum. In the “Personal Investments” forum, the Boglehead 3-fund and age-in-bonds remains gospel.

One issue with this forum is that the Boglehead approach does not require a lot of tinkering, but if there’s no tinkering there’s nothing to talk about, and people want something to talk about! I have been guilty of this, getting into discussions of duration and convexity of bonds while knowing full well that it’ll never have any real-world impact on my portfolio in the long run.

So no, you should not add leverage to your portfolio of Namibian microcaps. Have you read the wiki? It’s full of reliable, fairly conservative advice.

Lgs88
merely an interested amateur

User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 9341
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: Kiddie Bogleheads / Boglehead Seniors?

Post by JoMoney » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:04 am

OP,
Perhaps you need to reconsider your allocation if you're so uneasy about it that "seeing" someone else post their allocation causes you to change yours.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 11042
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Kiddie Bogleheads / Boglehead Seniors?

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:17 am

bck63 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:41 am
I'm wondering if the concept of having separate sections on the board index classified by age has ever been discussed. The actionable aspect of my question is this: The board seems to be increasingly skewed toward younger investors. For a newcomer who may be older, and is new to investing, they may see a lot of posts that reflect an asset allocation nowhere near what might be safe for them at their stage in life.

Having some indication of age, and stage in the investing process might be helpful. Me as an old guy probably shouldn't be following too many suggestions from the wild young turks on here. Just a thought.
Sound financial strategy applies across the board.
IE: An investment structure that works for 1 "young turk" might apply well to a retiring senior as well depending on each of their unique circumstances.
Overall, the board demography reflects the bell curve in age, financial status, life stage, etc, of the "real world" to some degree. It might seem like there's a larger % of younger investors, and that is true, maybe, because they make up a larger percentage of the population vs senior baby boomers who might be dropping like flies. But, OTOH, the younger group is also more vocal while the "non young turks" are more selective in thier posts, but certainly a silent presence.
So. . .that addresses your lst topic.

As for indications of age, stage of investing, in posts, that already happens in portfolio review requests etc, where it is needed.

What may be helpful are the "forum wiki" which is extensive, and also the deep collective input from past forum topics/threads (search).

So, while the forum discussion boards seem more visible, there's a lot to research on the site itself to help your financial needs.

* It might also be said that age, young or old, is not a restriction to the "heavyweights" on the forum, who come from all walks and ages of life.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

tibbitts
Posts: 10774
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Kiddie Bogleheads / Boglehead Seniors?

Post by tibbitts » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:27 am

bck63 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:41 am
I'm wondering if the concept of having separate sections on the board index classified by age has ever been discussed. The actionable aspect of my question is this: The board seems to be increasingly skewed toward younger investors. For a newcomer who may be older, and is new to investing, they may see a lot of posts that reflect an asset allocation nowhere near what might be safe for them at their stage in life.

Having some indication of age, and stage in the investing process might be helpful. Me as an old guy probably shouldn't be following too many suggestions from the wild young turks on here. Just a thought.
Having separate sections would be a terrible idea. No, having an idea as to age or "stage in investing process", while sometimes obvious due to context, would not be helpful.I would say that of all characteristics, income and net worth would be the most informative, but I don't think you're going to find widespread support for forum members declaring that.

Ask any 98-year-old, and the 87-year-old sitting next to them in the nursing home will be a "wild young turk."

I want to know what everybody is thinking, and don't necessarily value opinions from people in similar life situations to me more than others.

alex_686
Posts: 6378
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:39 pm

Re: Kiddie Bogleheads / Boglehead Seniors?

Post by alex_686 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:33 am

Put me down as slightly against.

I don’t see age as a good dimension unless we are talking about cognitive ability.

Being ultra aggressive is a valid line of questioning. But this skews towards those who can take risks. I know some young investors who can’t, I know sone older folks who can. Age is a poor proxy.

Maybe something else?
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.

Durzo
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:31 pm

Re: Kiddie Bogleheads / Boglehead Seniors?

Post by Durzo » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:26 am

bck63 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:41 am
I'm wondering if the concept of having separate sections on the board index classified by age has ever been discussed. The actionable aspect of my question is this: The board seems to be increasingly skewed toward younger investors. For a newcomer who may be older, and is new to investing, they may see a lot of posts that reflect an asset allocation nowhere near what might be safe for them at their stage in life.

Having some indication of age, and stage in the investing process might be helpful. Me as an old guy probably shouldn't be following too many suggestions from the wild young turks on here. Just a thought.
I am 27. I joined this site when I was 20. This site is not skewed towards younger investors at all.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 11042
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Kiddie Bogleheads / Boglehead Seniors?

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:27 pm

Durzo wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:26 am
bck63 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:41 am
I'm wondering if the concept of having separate sections on the board index classified by age has ever been discussed. The actionable aspect of my question is this: The board seems to be increasingly skewed toward younger investors. For a newcomer who may be older, and is new to investing, they may see a lot of posts that reflect an asset allocation nowhere near what might be safe for them at their stage in life.

Having some indication of age, and stage in the investing process might be helpful. Me as an old guy probably shouldn't be following too many suggestions from the wild young turks on here. Just a thought.
I am 27. I joined this site when I was 20. This site is not skewed towards younger investors at all.
+1
Well said!
Agreed.

It may be skewed toward other things and matters, though. But, not age related.
IE: $5000 watches, Low Flush Toilets, etc.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 20129
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: Kiddie Bogleheads / Boglehead Seniors?

Post by abuss368 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:50 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:27 pm
Durzo wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:26 am
bck63 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:41 am
I'm wondering if the concept of having separate sections on the board index classified by age has ever been discussed. The actionable aspect of my question is this: The board seems to be increasingly skewed toward younger investors. For a newcomer who may be older, and is new to investing, they may see a lot of posts that reflect an asset allocation nowhere near what might be safe for them at their stage in life.

Having some indication of age, and stage in the investing process might be helpful. Me as an old guy probably shouldn't be following too many suggestions from the wild young turks on here. Just a thought.
I am 27. I joined this site when I was 20. This site is not skewed towards younger investors at all.
+1
Well said!
Agreed.

It may be skewed toward other things and matters, though. But, not age related.
IE: $5000 watches, Low Flush Toilets, etc.

j :happy
Petrocelli and the $5,000 watch threads crack me up!
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

GAAP
Posts: 1118
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:41 pm

Re: Kiddie Bogleheads / Boglehead Seniors?

Post by GAAP » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:20 pm

bck63 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:41 am
Having some indication of age, and stage in the investing process might be helpful. Me as an old guy probably shouldn't be following too many suggestions from the wild young turks on here. Just a thought.
Given the number of "late start retirement", and "retire early" posts, I doubt you could link age and investment stage meaningfully.
“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” ― Bruce Lee

User avatar
beernutz
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: Kiddie Bogleheads / Boglehead Seniors?

Post by beernutz » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:48 pm

Great idea for numerous reasons. You'd have to be pretty insecure to oppose it.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers

MathWizard
Posts: 4183
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Kiddie Bogleheads / Boglehead Seniors?

Post by MathWizard » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:15 pm

I would guess that the median age of members would be 50 or higher.

Most younger people are too busy paying off college loans or saving for a down payment to look into investing. This puts them into their 30's or higher before they might be looking into an investing forum. Live Below Your Means, save a large part of your income for decades, and no get rich scheme sounds like "Exercise and Eat Your Vegetables".

MiloMoney
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:37 pm

Re: Kiddie Bogleheads / Boglehead Seniors?

Post by MiloMoney » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:25 pm

MathWizard wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:15 pm
I would guess that the median age of members would be 50 or higher.

Most younger people are too busy paying off college loans or saving for a down payment to look into investing. This puts them into their 30's or higher before they might be looking into an investing forum. Live Below Your Means, save a large part of your income for decades, and no get rich scheme sounds like "Exercise and Eat Your Vegetables".
+1

Post Reply