Best practices to share a tool I built

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
PNWChris

Best practices to share a tool I built

Post by PNWChris » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:25 pm

Hi All,

TL;DR:
I built an online tool to help with re-balancing and tax optimization, and I'm wondering if this forum is an appropriate venue to share it in.

Detail:
I've been a long time user of the wiki, but am fairly new to the forum. As such, I'm making a post to see if sharing a tool I built would be an acceptable thing to do. The forum policies appear to indicate sharing noncommercial, personal work is okay, but the policies explicitly specify "personal websites". This project is hosted on a domain other than my personal website, but is the only thing on that domain.

I know Reddit, for example, has strong rules against self-promotion, and anything that could be misconstrued as self-promotion, so I'm erring on the safe side and asking before posting. The last thing I'd want to do is squander any good will my project could receive!

If it's any help: there are no ads or even analytics, just a web page and JS hosted on GitHub pages (user input is processed in-browser).

Thank you in advance for input,
PNWChris

adamthesmythe

Re: Best practices to share a tool I built

Post by adamthesmythe » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:21 pm

If by "sharing" you mean giving away for free, I do not see an issue.

However- there does not seem to be a way to post files on this website. A new member cannot immediately post links.

Existing members might fear viruses, etc.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Best practices to share a tool I built

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:29 pm

^^^ This forum does not allow attachments.
PNWChris wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:25 pm
TL;DR:
I built an online tool to help with re-balancing and tax optimization, and I'm wondering if this forum is an appropriate venue to share it in.
Hi,

Please see our forum policy: No Solicitation
Authors, software developers, or others looking for feedback should contact bhadmin@bogleheads.org for approval before posting.
That being said, we support a number of free and open-source tools on this site.

To get started, please PM me (instead of email) with your site details and I'll help you work through it.

(This thread is now in the Forum Issues and Administration forum.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.