Best of posts and/or threads?

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
Coolguy8877

Best of posts and/or threads?

Post by Coolguy8877 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:35 am

Was browsing the r/personal finance sub-reddit and came across this post https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinanc ... ame=iossmf that aims to consolidate the best posts from 2019.

I realize the wiki houses a wealth of organized information, but since the forum does as well is there any similar source of ranked content for the forum?

I would love to see the top/most impactful/influential posts/threads from 2019, but short of searching or sorting are there any "best of" type resources?

Thanks!

Silk McCue

Re: Best of posts and/or threads?

Post by Silk McCue » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:45 am

There is no such thing here.

We don't have thumbs up/down or likes. This is by design as determined by the administrators of the site.

You would need to PM one of them if you wanted to discuss rather than doing so in this thread per site rules.

Cheers

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:18 am

This thread is now in the Forum Issues and Administration forum (post ranking).

The intent of this forum is help investors. Making a "best of" consolidation would be taken out of context. IOW, what constitutes "great advice" for one member would be inappropriate for another. So, ranking posts does not seem appropriate.

We do, however, have a running list. See: favorite bogleheads posts?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Topic Author
Coolguy8877

Post by Coolguy8877 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:26 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:18 am
This thread is now in the Forum Issues and Administration forum (post ranking).

The intent of this forum is help investors. Making a "best of" consolidation would be taken out of context. IOW, what constitutes "great advice" for one member would be inappropriate for another. So, ranking posts does not seem appropriate.

We do, however, have a running list. See: favorite bogleheads posts?
Makes total sense and thanks for the link! Perhaps what I'm getting at is that I have learned the most from reading about a variety of different situations, some that overlap with my own and many that do not. Since it is his or miss for what I find value in on a day to day basis, I'm interested in identifying the topics that over time that have gotten a lot of attention (for lack of a better word), so I can evaluate how they may impact my personal situation (or not).

With that in mind, is it possible to query the most subscribed and/or bookmarked threads? If not, I will stick to simple sorting, but wanted to ask for my own sanity.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:28 pm

Not by subscriptions or bookmarks, as the forum software doesn't provide for that. What it does provide is real-time sorting. I suspect you've found that already, but for everyone else:

View any forum or thread. The bottom of the page has an icon with a down-arrow and 4 short horizontal lines. Click / tap that icon to show a drop-down list with a number of ways to view the forum or thread - "Display", "Sort by" and "Direction".

You can change the default sort options in the User Control Panel --> Board preferences --> Edit display options.

I don't recommend changing the defaults unless you understand that you'll be limiting what you can see (and the order in which the topics and posts are displayed).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.