Google trackers on BH web site?

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
gtd98765

Google trackers on BH web site?

Post by gtd98765 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:18 pm

Privacy Badger notified me just now that their are two Google trackers on the main bogelheads.org web site (the page that lists all posts in descending order of posting). I have never noticed this before.

I few minutes later, after going to this page and then back, Privacy Badger says no trackers. I do have a screen clip but don't know how to paste in an image.

Is this a PB or some other glitch, or are there somehow tracking cookies on BH?

Jack FFR1846

Re: Google trackers on BH web site?

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:20 pm

Bing is always on here. Look down below.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:10 pm

No worries, they're friendly. :happy

The trackers you see are the search engine bots, a.k.a. "Web crawlers" or spiders. Those bots are how your forum posts get into the search engines.

This is very different than the tracking analytics used by advertisers - an entirely different animal and not found here.

The forum software knows about the bots and handles them as guest accounts (not logged in).

I currently see: 2 Google bots (one for the forum posts, one for the RSS feed), Bing [bot], MSN [Bot], and Baidu [Spider].
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Topic Author
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:02 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:10 pm
No worries, they're friendly. :happy

The trackers you see are the search engine bots, a.k.a. "Web crawlers" or spiders. Those bots are how your forum posts get into the search engines.

This is very different than the tracking analytics used by advertisers - an entirely different animal and not found here.

The forum software knows about the bots and handles them as guest accounts (not logged in).

I currently see: 2 Google bots (one for the forum posts, one for the RSS feed), Bing [bot], MSN [Bot], and Baidu [Spider].
Thank you!