BBcode improvements

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
LookinAround

BBcode improvements

Post by LookinAround »

It would be oh so helpful if bbcode generation for lists and URLs could be made easier when clicing the icons. It's been done in many other forums so I'd hope the improvement wouldn't be alot of effort?

The most cumbersome: inserting the correct bbode for URL and its display text
RickBoglehead

Re: BBcode improvements

Post by RickBoglehead »

LookinAround wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:30 am It would be oh so helpful if bbcode generation for lists and URLs could be made easier when clicing the icons. It's been done in many other forums so I'd hope the improvement wouldn't be alot of effort?

The most cumbersome: inserting the correct bbode for URL and its display text
Click on link symbol, put display text in middle, put equals sign and link in first bracket.

But I agree, the forum software here is much less capable/enabled than at other forums.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

Linking wiki articles into forum posts, particularly the more recent posts, may be useful. E.g., the link in this post brought to you by the "link text and location copier" Firefox add-on.
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

FiveK wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:10 pm Linking wiki articles into forum posts, particularly the more recent posts, may be useful. E.g., the link in this post brought to you by the "link text and location copier" Firefox add-on.
It seems the firefox version of the link creator add-ons is "better" than the chrome one called 'create link'?

It seems all the options in 'create link' for chrome don't format/parse the site/page as nicely as the examples provided by Lady Geek at the thread you linked to.

Here is my test post with the 4 options provided by create link:
[viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6&start=250#p4901825 Please Try Out Test Posts Here - Page 6 - Bogleheads.org]

Maybe there is a way to improve/customize it?
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes".
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I just updated the thread with my configuration. Use this: Re: Linking wiki articles into forum posts

I use Firefox because the extension supports links (hover mouse over link) much better than Chrome (no hover support).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

RickBoglehead wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:34 amBut I agree, the forum software here is much less capable/enabled than at other forums.
I actually like this "simple" forum. Other forums I visit often have bugs & issues. Bogleheads has never given me problems on my computers or phones, newer & older. But I recognize I'm not a forum "power user" like many here. Just stating my observations.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓