New Forum for Retirement / Early Retirement

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
pop77

New Forum for Retirement / Early Retirement

Post by pop77 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:21 pm

Would it make sense to start a new forum that focusses on topics exclusively on retirement including ideas /thoughts on early retirement?

dcabler

Re: New Forum for Retirement / Early Retirement

Post by dcabler » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:26 pm

pop77 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:21 pm
Would it make sense to start a new forum that focusses on topics exclusively on retirement including ideas /thoughts on early retirement?
You mean like the already existing www.early-retirement.org ?

Cheers

CABob

Post by CABob » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:43 pm

Bob

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:31 pm

Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:40 pm

Assuming you mean a new forum within Bogleheads, so many of the investing discussions here relate to retirement that I think it would just make classifying a thread more difficult. If you were posting about asset allocation within your IRA, is that personal investing or retirement?

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:59 pm

pop77 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:21 pm
The advanced search function reveals this has been asked and answered on more than one occasion, including this explanation from one of the owners
Alex Frakt wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:45 pm
Nothing has changed since I posted this above. Retirement issues are inextricably intertwined with investing and personal finance issues. There is no reasonable way to separate them. If your particular issue is mostly relevant to retirees, the thread title is the best to communicate this.
Alex Frakt wrote:I've been reading the thread. We will not be adding a separate forum at this time. There are several reasons for this. Most importantly, I believe it is an artificial distinction. The investing issues of retirees are germane to all investors. Likewise, the information found in discussions of the investments of people still in the accumulation stage is potentially useful to retirees. Segregating the two groups would do a disservice to both.

A secondary issue is that it appears that one impetus behind this request is to allow greater discussion of topics that are currently in violation of our forum policies. As we have said over and over again, we will not be allowing political discussions on this site - in any form or any forum. Given that we will not allow such discussion, the proposed subforum would necessarily be about investing, which brings us back to the point made above.

A purely practical issue would be the confusion that results as to which subforum to post topics that would otherwise fall into Personal Finance or Personal Consumer, but which involve retirees. Do we really want to lose the insights of non-retirees about travel opportunities, retirement-friendly locales, insurance issues and consumer issues by walling them off in a retiree ghetto?

I do recognize there are continuing (and probably insoluble) issues with misleading or incomplete thread titles, but on balance this looks like much less of a problem than those that would accompany the creation of a new forum.

Note that we will revisit adding additional forums if traffic increases to the point that threads are often going missed, but that does not currently appear to be an issue.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:05 pm

I've been a member of other forums (golf, auto, bicycling) where they try to subdivide any type of discussion into a different category. The result is that it kills the forum, as each sub-category looks dead.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.

Topic Author
pop77

Post by pop77 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:37 am

Thanks All. I meant a sub forum under bogleheads. I can understand why owners may not want to do it..