Length Limit on Quotes

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Length Limit on Quotes

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:47 pm

I like the quote feature, which is easy to use and provides context for a reply. It seems to me, lately, that often a back and forth between two or more posters results in a strong of quotes that is so long that it’s thumb-fatiguing if you’re reading on a phone.

It seems to me that some number of lines (5, 10, 20, something less than infinite) would be a useful limit.

Has this been considered?
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Silk McCue

Re: Length Limit on Quotes

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:36 pm

There is no way to do this. A rant was started recently about people quoting more than the person cared for and LadyGeek locked it.

Cheers

Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:43 pm

No point in ranting about it, I guess, but it seems a waste of bandwidth to quote 100 lines of back and forth and then add, as I’ve seen, something like “No, Google it” immediately below the quoted text. There was no intervening poster, so context was implicit.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:07 pm

What would be nice is if you could highlight only the text you wanted to quote, hit the quote button and it would open a new post with only the highlighted text in the body of the quote. This would be similar to the current ability to highlight text while composing a reply and using the bold, italic, etc. buttons to only affect the highlighted text. This would help to limit the size of quote blocks.

It may not be possible however within the constraints of the software package Bogleheads uses to run the forum.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:17 pm

Think of the positive side: Anything that makes the forum harder to deal with means one is nudged to spend less unproductive time here.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Post by 123 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:17 pm

I think one of the reasons we see long quotes is that the responder wants to be able to see the complete text he/she is responding to while composing the response. If there were a mechanism to easily display the desired post, without automatically including it in the response, while composing a response that could be useful. Of course responders could simply cut the original post out of the response before they submit it but that is an extra step that I think most responders are unlikely to do.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:28 pm

I would be against a limit, although I make an effort to include only the portions I'm responding to, properly attributed. Occasionally I'll leave all of it there, either because it forms a unified whole or because I'm worried about having my head bitten off. I also take the trouble to make sure separate parts of earlier posts I'm quoting are clearly attributed, so somebody quoting me won't have to do my job for me.

I agree many posters won't do that.

I especially dislike when posters insert their own text, even if in a different color, into somebody else's quote box. It may be convenient for the writer at the time, but not for the readers nor future repliers. I write for my audience, not for me.

I'm not the formatting police, just expressing my opinion as solicited in the thread.

PJW

Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:35 pm

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:28 pm
I especially dislike when posters insert their own text, even if in a different color, into somebody else's quote box. It may be convenient for the writer at the time, but not for the readers nor future repliers. I write for my audience, not for me.
I’m guilty of doing that. I thought it made a multi-part response to different parts of the text more clear, but you have a point about future repliers.

I will keep it in mind.

GCD

Post by GCD » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:54 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:07 pm
What would be nice is if you could highlight only the text you wanted to quote, hit the quote button and it would open a new post with only the highlighted text in the body of the quote. This would help to limit the size of quote blocks.

It may not be possible however within the constraints of the software package Bogleheads uses to run the forum.
The same effect can be had by using the quote button to quote the entire text and then editing it down in your reply. Once the text appears in quoted form in your reply you can do whatever you want to it. As I edited your post above.
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:35 pm
Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:28 pm
I’m guilty of doing that. I thought it made a multi-part response to different parts of the text more clear, but you have a point about future repliers.

I will keep it in mind.
What I do in this case is separate out the different parts of the quote. If you copy and paste [quote=TomatoTomahto post_id=4600300 time=1560890139 user_id=25926 and [/quote at the beginning and end of each section you can separate out long quotes into smaller sections and reply to each within the same reply. Note I left out the final bracket otherwise I would have created a quote, like this:
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:35 pm

Be sure to use the preview button regularly when cutting and pasting to insure you haven't created an abomination.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:01 pm

GCD wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:54 pm
The same effect can be had by using the quote button to quote the entire text and then editing it down in your reply. Once the text appears in quoted form in your reply you can do whatever you want to it. As I edited your post above.
Yes, it’s just a rather cumbersome process on a touch device such as my iPad.

GCD

Post by GCD » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:02 am

Kenkat wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:01 pm
Yes, it’s just a rather cumbersome process on a touch device such as my iPad.
Right, ok.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:31 am

I also post on FlyerTalk and they have a “multi quote” and “quote” option.

Multiquote acts similar to quote here—it takes the entire message you are quoting and adds it to your reply.

Quote only takes newly typed information into the reply. This eliminates posts having more than 1 level of quotes unless that is what is truly intended.

For example, if I would have selected “quote” on GCD’s post I would only receive his comment, not his quoted text, in my dialogue box.

Perhaps that could be a feature added here?

Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:40 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:31 am
I also post on FlyerTalk and they have a “multi quote” and “quote” option.

Multiquote acts similar to quote here—it takes the entire message you are quoting and adds it to your reply.

Quote only takes newly typed information into the reply. This eliminates posts having more than 1 level of quotes unless that is what is truly intended.

For example, if I would have selected “quote” on GCD’s post I would only receive his comment, not his quoted text, in my dialogue box.

Perhaps that could be a feature added here?
That would be very helpful, as deleting indented quotes takes a long time on my iPad and forever on my phone. Selecting the text to remove calls for more dexterity than I have.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:48 am

IMHO: Quotes and links (if needed) sufficient to give best context to the actionable suggestion that follows is enough for a quality post.

But, it depends on the thread. If about investment theory, then sometimes it can be long, as when quoting "vineviz" and "nedsaid" on "small cap value". . . . . . . . . or requotes of "arcticpineapple" instructive posts with graphs, etc. (test on Monday), or occasionally, a long quote on landlord tenant rental practices that really doesn't need a "requote".

But, otherwise, portfolio advice with long narratives on the original post need only selective quotes to give it framework.
Some posters have a recognizable "style" to this that works well.

FWIW: I use a MacBook Pro when on the forum so there's no "finger/touch" issues. I have a hard time with an iPad as it is so I can understand how selective quotes would be a challenge.
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:50 pm

There's no limit on the number of lines in a quote, but you can't go more than 5 deep.
5 wrote:
4 wrote:
3 wrote:
2 wrote:
1 wrote:This is a nested quote.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

mpsz

Post by mpsz » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:08 pm

I agree with this idea... quotes are certainly useful for context but there are certain abuses that occur pretty frequently. For example, if you are the second post in a thread, you do not need to quote the OP. Very frustrating when it's a long post.

Some forums "fold" the quote... it shows as maybe 3-5 lines of text, and you can click to expand it. I'd love to see something like that here.

Example: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ma ... t-27522629

typical.investor

Post by typical.investor » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:20 pm

Finger fatigue from reading is much less than finger fatigue from trying to edit on a phone.

I'm guilty of long quotes, but alternatives are don't quote or don't respond.