For how long will the forum be around?

Discussions about the forum and contents
Ron

Re: For how long will the forum be around?

Post by Ron » Tue May 14, 2019 7:54 am

Until OMY syndrome is not discussed.

- Ron

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue May 14, 2019 8:10 am

As long as Reps. at Edward Jones convince their customers that they are making money, even during a Dip.

As long as homes have water leaks and the cumulative effort of the forum solves the problem.

As long as the moderators allow an occasional "fun thread" for the forum to play and/or vent (within reason).

As long as forum members continue to support and encourage each other, and the forum, toward a common purpose. :D

Mahalo
jim :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:50 am

whodidntante wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:05 am
Stinky wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:59 am
Until the cows come home.

Until pigs fly.

Until the Chicago Cubs, Bears, and Bulls win championships in the same year.
You're obviously not a hockey fan.
The Blackhawks have already had enough success this century. The 2010 win was very painful especially...... :shock: :? :x :confused

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Tue May 14, 2019 9:00 am

This is a pretty actionable thread...

What is the succession plans on paper for the forum if/ when the owners die? Is there a plan? Even if there isn't a plan to continue the forum it would be great to have a plan to store all the previous posts and have it accessible to those who search for it. Another forum I wanted to access again was shut down and ALL the posts were lost forever. A real shame.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Tue May 14, 2019 10:58 am

If the owners ever tire of this (i don't expect that to happen) or die (that's inevitable), I feel confident that The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy would see to it that it continues for as long as there was a need for it. You can rest easy; it's not going away.

Hopefully, your kids, grandkids, great grandkids, and their kids, grandkids and great grandkids will be posting here, all getting and giving help.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood » Tue May 14, 2019 11:27 am

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:58 am
If the owners ever tire of this (i don't expect that to happen) or die (that's inevitable), I feel confident that The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy would see to it that it continues for as long as there was a need for it. You can rest easy; it's not going away.

Hopefully, your kids, grandkids, great grandkids, and their kids, grandkids and great grandkids will be posting here, all getting and giving help.
I am happy to read this! I am in my late 20s. I plan to be around for a while.

CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Tue May 14, 2019 11:28 am

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:30 pm
Bogleheads:

This forum, which reflects "The Wisdom of Jack Bogle," and is now the largest non-commercial financial forum on the internet, should be around for many years to come.

Many in the financial industry would like to see us disappear. However, if we continue to espouse Jack's wisdom, and continue to be properly moderated, I believe our future is unlimited.
Warren Buffett: "If a statue is ever erected to honor the person who has done the most for American investors, the hands down choice should be Jack Bogle."
Best wishes.
Taylor
Good to hear. Always a pleasure to read your posts, Taylor.

Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood » Tue May 14, 2019 11:34 am

Explorer wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:34 am
One of the few forums on the internet that is simply unbiased... I hope it is around forever.
I use the "Firefox Focus" browser on my smartphone, which automatically blocks trackers.

It also gives me a count of how many trackers are being blocked on the website I'm visiting. I regularly see as many as 30 trackers being blocked, depending on the website.

With bogleheads.org the count is always 0.

Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing » Tue May 14, 2019 11:37 am

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Bogleheads:

This forum, which reflects "The Wisdom of Jack Bogle," and is now the largest non-commercial financial forum on the internet, should be around for many years to come.

Many in the financial industry would like to see us disappear. However, if we continue to espouse Jack's wisdom, and continue to be properly moderated, I believe our future is unlimited.
Warren Buffett: "If a statue is ever erected to honor the person who has done the most for American investors, the hands down choice should be Jack Bogle."
Best wishes.
Taylor
This is partly why I was wondering about this. Let's say someone in their 20s got excellent advice here today (based on time honored BH principles), and got them started on their financial security journey. I hope they'll still be able to get advice maybe 40 years later and near retirement and share their own advice from years earlier.

Thanks for mentioning this :happy

Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing » Tue May 14, 2019 11:41 am

Mel Lindauer wrote:

That's good to know. It's what I was hoping/wondering about.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue May 14, 2019 11:44 am

Silence Dogood wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:27 am
Mel Lindauer wrote:

I am happy to read this! I am in my late 20s. I plan to be around for a while.

Hopefully our children and grandchildren will come by one day and thank the forum, as reading this forum has substantially improved the odds of them receiving a legacy from us. And, any legacy available, some will find it's way to The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy

Broken Man 1999
Last edited by Broken Man 1999 on Tue May 14, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Tue May 14, 2019 11:51 am

Mel Lindauer wrote:

Thanks for the insight. Not to sound morbid, but has this been written in ink? Or do the owners themselves have it written what happens if the first person dies? Does it go their heirs or that portion get donated to the the Financial Literacy foundation? What if one of the wives decides she would rather sell to some big investment group ?Edelman instead for 10 million?

Hoping IF their intention is to continue as par for the course (nonbiased) then the ink on the transfer of ownership of all the owners say the same.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing » Tue May 14, 2019 11:52 am

3504PIR wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:02 pm
As Bogleheads are fond of saying, every investing strategy works until it doesn’t. Therefore, when the BH strategy fails, the forum will cease to exist in the way it currently does.

How’s that?
LinusP wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:10 am
3504PIR wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:02 pm
As Bogleheads are fond of saying, every investing strategy works until it doesn’t. Therefore, when the BH strategy fails, the forum will cease to exist in the way it currently does.
So far, this is my favorite answer.

Though, I have to point out, the forum would almost definitely continue to exist well beyond the "point of failure" - the combination of long-term thinking and, dare I say it, stubbornness, would see to that.
Interesting answer. So what would be the main sign(s) that the BH strategy does not work anymore?

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Tue May 14, 2019 11:54 am

For me this is the best forum ever for financial / investment knowledge.

I don’t necessarily understand everything but hands down this has to be the best collection of wisdom and kind-hearted people I’ve seen.

In fact many recurring themes e.g. stay the course, discipline, compounding small wins etc., can easily apply to many areas of life.

I’m grateful to all.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing » Tue May 14, 2019 11:55 am

GoldenFinch wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:35 am
well thought out forum rules that promote civility.
Good point. I notice this too. civility seems to be rare on the internet, so I'm glad it's maintained here.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Tue May 14, 2019 11:57 am

Until all aum advisors decrease their fees to be the same as Vanguards, and all active funds become no load with fees only .1 above Vanguards.

Time2Quit

Post by Time2Quit » Tue May 14, 2019 12:06 pm

Until actively managed funds and FA’s regularly beat Indexes.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor." --Seneca

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Tue May 14, 2019 12:26 pm

Explorer wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:34 am
One of the few forums on the internet that is simply unbiased... I hope it is around forever.
Unbiased?

What?

Ever ask what car to buy? 85% of responses will be Subaru

Ever ask whether you should pay off a mortgage or leverage your home for investment? 85% of responses will be pay off the mortgage.

Ever ask whether you should buy a new sports car? 85% will say no.

Lots of bias here. Not all bad.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Tue May 14, 2019 12:29 pm

Eventually forums themselves will be gone.

Maybe it’ll move to WhatsApp or Twitter.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Tue May 14, 2019 12:30 pm

I was concerned that interest in the forum would die with Mr. Bogle but that didn't happen. Things around here are as lively as ever. It helps to have someone like Larry Swedroe, an expert who livens things up around here. Larry has largely stopped posting and now Rick Ferri has stepped into his place. We have to appreciate it when professionals decide to post here, it does add a lot. I suppose as long as there is a good group of volunteers to keep the site up and to serve on the advisory board, it will continue. Lots of folks who put in a lot of time here.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Tue May 14, 2019 5:00 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Bogleheads:

Many in the financial industry would like to see us disappear. However, if we continue to espouse Jack's wisdom, and continue to be properly moderated, I believe our future is unlimited. ...
I agree. Many other factors mentioned on this thread will be involved in the forum's longevity, but Jack's wisdom is its heart and soul, its reason for being.
Last edited by Fallible on Tue May 14, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"John Bogle has changed a basic industry in the optimal direction. Of very few can this be said." ~Paul A. Samuelson

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:09 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:38 pm
AOL lasted 8 or 9 years
Myspace lasted about 6 years (being generous)
Facebook started in 2007 and is still going (but I believe already in the decline)
Bogleheads also started in 2007, but as far as I can tell is still quite popular and growing
Where did AOL go?
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

One Ping

Post by One Ping » Tue May 14, 2019 6:05 pm

bengal22 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:09 pm
Where did AOL go?
Still around. (Ask me how I know. :wink: )
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."

FlyerJack

Post by FlyerJack » Tue May 14, 2019 6:35 pm

Freefun wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:54 am
I don’t necessarily understand everything but hands down this has to be the best collection of wisdom and kind-hearted people I’ve seen.
Completely agree. The kind of helpful, respectful discussion found on this forum is incredibly rare on the internet.

And I like that the Bogleheads have given me a dead simple gameplan where I don’t need understand exactly how options work, or futures, or P/E ratios, or yield curves, etc. But if I want to, say, learn how to tax loss harvest from Prof. Livesoft (my latest little research project), then I can take my time and do that. It’s a great place.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:56 pm

FlyerJack wrote: And I like that the Bogleheads have given me a dead simple gameplan where I don’t need understand exactly how options work, or futures, or P/E ratios, or yield curves, etc. But if I want to, say, learn how to tax loss harvest from Prof. Livesoft (my latest little research project), then I can take my time and do that.
Prof. Livesoft's assignments are always challenging. To answer one of my tax questions, he told me to read IRS Publication 17 :mrgreen:

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue May 14, 2019 6:58 pm

Don't forget the wiki, which is built and maintained by forum members. This means you.

We just released the wiki's 2019 annual report. This is a financial forum, after all. See: Bogleheads® Wiki 2019 annual report

For FlyerJack - see: Tax loss harvesting
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:16 pm

One Ping wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:05 pm
bengal22 wrote:
Where did AOL go?
Same way I know I assume .
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

One Ping

Post by One Ping » Tue May 14, 2019 11:11 pm

:thumbsup
bengal22 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:16 pm
One Ping wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:05 pm
bengal22 wrote:
Where did AOL go?
Same way I know I assume .
:thumbsup
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:09 am

Forever! We need to continue to support and carry Mr. Bogle's crusade to stay the course and help the little guy earn their fair share of market returns!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:14 am

Mel Lindauer wrote:

Imagine how cool that would be? Your kids and grandkids (and their kids) could forever read and look up their parents and grandparents posts and contributions.

This is the best website on the internet.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

German Expat

Post by German Expat » Wed May 15, 2019 8:38 am

Looking at the registration entry bogleheads.org is registered via GOSTYNSKA FRAKT, LTD in IL. It also relies on the very dedicated and good moderators and probably some donations to keep the site registered and the servers running.
So my opinion is as long as the ownership structure works (who is paying for the registration of the domain?) and there are enough and good moderators and good policies it will stay up. It will stop if one of those conditions fails.

KBREAMK

Post by KBREAMK » Wed May 15, 2019 8:42 am

Gort wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:50 pm
One Ping wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:42 pm
Until the "When do I take Social Security?" question is resolved to everyone's satisfaction. :oops:
Add to that the discussions concerning how much international to own. :|
This nearly made me spit my coffee out since I recently asked this very question! Sorry! I am still a baby Boglehead! :sharebeer

selters

Post by selters » Wed May 15, 2019 9:54 am

GRP wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:41 am
As long as the evil of active management is around, the good Bogleheads of this forum will be here to fight it tooth and nail! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:wink:
Something that does worry me a little is that the Vanguard DieHards Forum at morningstar.com will be taken down one day. There's some really valuable historical source material there.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Wed May 15, 2019 10:37 am

123 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:06 pm
As long as active funds exist and financial advisers roam the earth.

All it takes for evil to win is for good men and women to do nothing.
Thread winner!
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Wed May 15, 2019 10:45 am

get_g0ing wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:13 pm
Hi,

I was just wondering, how many years in the future will this forum be around? 10 years, 100 years?

What do people think?

Thanks.
Until we ran out of electricity...

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed May 15, 2019 10:50 am

selters wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:54 am
GRP wrote:
As long as the evil of active management is around, the good Bogleheads of this forum will be here to fight it tooth and nail! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Something that does worry me a little is that the Vanguard DieHards Forum at morningstar.com will be taken down one day. There's some really valuable historical source material there.
It's already taken down. M* just started using new software for their forums and the old forum's history hasn't transferred over.(The old Vanguard Diehards forum was later renamed Bogleheads Unite).

selters

Post by selters » Wed May 15, 2019 12:39 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:50 am
selters wrote:
GRP wrote:

It's already taken down. M* just started using new software for their forums and the old forum's history hasn't transferred over.(The old Vanguard Diehards forum was later renamed Bogleheads Unite).
It's still available to me:

https://discuss.morningstar.com/NewSoci ... Index=2190

The oldest posts are from 1998. Or was there ever an even older forum than that?

Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing » Wed May 15, 2019 1:23 pm

selters wrote:
Does the term "Diehards" as used here have a special meaning? Is it like a nickname for Bogleheads?

Thanks.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed May 15, 2019 1:41 pm

get_g0ing wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:23 pm
selters wrote:
Does the term "Diehards" as used here have a special meaning? Is it like a nickname for Bogleheads?

Thanks.
kget_g0ing:

When I joined the Morningstar forums about 1998, there were no individual company forums. However, there was a preponderance of posts relating to Vanguard.

A group of us asked Morningstar to start a separate Vanguard forum. Morningstar refused saying it would be unfair to other fund companies. For the next year or two we continued to badger Morningstar to start a separate Vanguard forum. Finally, Morningstar relented. They named it the Vanguard Diehard Forum because we never gave up pestering them.

A few years later it was their most popular forum.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed May 15, 2019 2:10 pm

selters wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:39 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:50 am
selters wrote:
GRP wrote:

It's still available to me:

https://discuss.morningstar.com/NewSoci ... Index=2190

The oldest posts are from 1998. Or was there ever an even older forum than that?
While it's still there for now, M* is transitioning all new posts to their new forum software, so for all intents and purposes, the old forums are a thing of the past. At some point, they'll probably just kill them off entirely. For now, they're using the old forums to redirect folks to the new forums, which do not connect to the old forums. All posters have to sign up again on the new software, so despite having more than 20,000 posts, my count was reset to zero, just like someone who came in brand new that day. And you can't search the old forum posts from the new forum. I've asked M* to not lose the rich history contained in all of the old forum's posts, but that's just a pipe dream at present since the new forum software is purchased externally, which means many desired features have to be requested and modified by the software vendor. Unless there's a large demand for any modifications, they're not likely to be made.

Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing » Wed May 15, 2019 2:24 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:41 pm
get_g0ing wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:23 pm
selters wrote:

Thanks.
kget_g0ing:

When I joined the Morningstar forums about 1998, there were no individual company forums. However, there was a preponderance of posts relating to Vanguard.

A group of us asked Morningstar to start a separate Vanguard forum. Morningstar refused saying it would be unfair to other fund companies. For the next year or two we continued to badger Morningstar to start a separate Vanguard forum. Finally, Morningstar relented. They named it the Vanguard Diehard Forum because we never gave up pestering them.

A few years later it was their most popular forum.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Oh wonderful :)
I didn't know this history. Thanks so much for sharing this!

SGM

Post by SGM » Wed May 15, 2019 2:52 pm

...until the mountains tumble to the sea.....

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed May 15, 2019 3:09 pm

For those wanting to know the background behind this forum, see: The Bogleheads®
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

beyou

Post by beyou » Wed May 15, 2019 3:53 pm

22twain wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:54 pm
How long will the forum be around?

(note I did not specify the units :wink: )
Don't panic...this guide will always be here.

Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing » Wed May 15, 2019 5:00 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:09 pm
For those wanting to know the background behind this forum, see: The Bogleheads®
Excellent. Thanks.