Welcome to the new forum layout

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Welcome to the new forum layout

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:53 pm

This forum started with a US focus. Today, we reach world-wide and have many posts that are outside the US. The current forum layout is difficult to use - there is no clear separation between US and non-US investors.

In addition to long-standing member requests for a non-US forum, we are also receiving requests to support websites which follow the Bogleheads investment philosophy.

We have listened. Please look at the Board index, as we have reorganized the layout to accommodate non-US investors.

First, we have placed forums into top-level categories.
  • US Investors
  • Non-US Investors
  • Wiki
  • Community
Clicking on a category will display posts (active topics) from those forums. For example: If you only want to see US topics, click on the US Investors category. To see only Non-US topics, click on the Non-US investors category.

We have several new forums. First is the "Non-US" investing forum. Under the Non-US forum are subforums for Spain and the United Arab Emirates. We have a large number of UAE members looking for a forum.

View the "Non-US Investing" forum to see the Spain and United Arab Emirates subforums. In addition to these subforums, we have links to our sister Canadian forum and our to new Spanish forum.

Welcome to ¡¡ Bogleheads® España !! (en español) :beer

Under "Wiki" we have added a link to our sister Canadian wiki.

Under "Community", we split the local chapters forum into US and non-US chapter subforums.

The moderators will move threads to the new Non-US investing and local chapters forums. Allow some time for us to move the threads. If anyone wants a thread moved, report the post using the "!" in the top-right corner of the post. One of the reasons is "Wrong forum".
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

WoodSpinner

Re: Welcome to the new forum layout

Post by WoodSpinner » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:11 pm

I tend to start with the New Posts ....

Will I see New Posts across forums or just based on my personal geography (e.g.USA)?

Thanks for the work and thinking that went into the change. Should be interesting to see how it works.

WoodSpinner

denovo

Post by denovo » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:12 pm

I think Personal Consumer Issues Forum will get less posts/threads/eyeballs because it is on the bottom below the Wiki Forums.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Shackleton

Post by Shackleton » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:17 pm

Well done LadyGeek and crew!
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton

Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:18 pm

WoodSpinner wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:11 pm

Will I see New Posts across forums or just based on my personal geography (e.g.USA)?

Thanks for the work and thinking that went into the change. Should be interesting to see how it works.

WoodSpinner
You can see new posts across all forums by using the Active topics under the "Quick links" menu in the top-left corner of the page. This feature has always worked like that.
denovo wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:12 pm
I think Personal Consumer Issues Forum will get less posts/threads/eyeballs because it is on the bottom below the Wiki Forums.
We are primarily an investing site. The consumer issues forum is intended to introduce members to investing. Investing is not easy. The hope was that a member would become comfortable posting in the consumer forum, then gather enough courage to ask about investing.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:20 pm

Shackleton wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:17 pm
Well done LadyGeek and crew!
I also want to thank the members who provided feedback during our tests of the new layout.

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:22 pm

Calling out the Wiki as a line item is a really good idea!

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:24 pm

WoodSpinner wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:11 pm

WoodSpinner
+1
I also use the "new posts" as my "bogle" home page.

Great work!
thanks!

Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:26 pm

dbr wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:22 pm
Calling out the Wiki as a line item is a really good idea!
Thanks!

The description has been modified for non-US investors. The last link in the description is: Non-US domiciles.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:52 pm

The keen eyed observer might also note the little "-" sign at the right edge of each forum category. That's because it allows users to collapse and minimise forum categories with a simple click. Very useful when viewing the Board index page and some of the categories aren't of interest to you. Just click and collapse the whole category structure.

For example, the Wiki category, look at the far right for the "-" sign, click it and the whole category disappears.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:10 pm

Good improvement.
Thanks for the work on this.

z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:11 pm

Love it, great work!

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:26 pm

Hate it
Old, l am
Hate change

MnD

Post by MnD » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:35 pm

Great improvements.
One quibble.
The forum intended for non-US investors is titled non-US investing?
In my opinion that seems to be a potential source of confusion going forward.
LadyGeek wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:53 pm
This forum started with a US focus. Today, we reach world-wide and have many posts that are outside the US. The current forum layout is difficult to use - there is no clear separation between US and non-US investors.

In addition to long-standing member requests for a non-US forum, we are also receiving requests to support websites which follow the Bogleheads investment philosophy.

We have listened. Please look at the Board index, as we have reorganized the layout to accommodate non-US investors.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:09 am

will be interesting to browse the non-US area to see how other countries deal w/ taxes etc.

Strange question- what 'international' holdings do non-US investors hold? US holdings? :happy
Seems kinda odd to think about that as a US citizen, as its backwards.

longleaf

Post by longleaf » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:10 am

F150HD wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:09 am
will be interesting to browse the non-US area to see how other countries deal w/ taxes etc.

Strange question- what 'international' holdings do non-US investors hold? US holdings? :happy
Ideally, VT. No bias.
Frugality, indexing, time.

BeBH65

Post by BeBH65 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:53 am

F150HD wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:09 am

longleaf wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:10 am
Ideally, VT. No bias.
1. There is actually a thread running on Optimal equity home bias for non-U.S. investors.
2. Whatever the chosen AA, you then need to choose the domicile of your funds. Depending on the investors situation, US domiciled funds may not be the best choice.

From the wiki page on Non-US_investor's_guide_to_navigating_US_tax_traps
US tax laws contain multiple traps for unwary non-US investors, a category that includes both US nonresident aliens and US citizens living outside the US. In the worst cases they can lead to outcomes such as US income tax rates of 100% on gains, loss of 40% of total assets to US estate taxes, and huge fines for non-disclosure of assets.
We have a wiki page that summarises the recommended ETF domicile that US nonresident aliens might use, based on their own country of residence and domicile.

If you are intrested in the taxation of non-us investors, you might be intrested to read these BH wiki pages.
BeBH65. (only an investment enthusiast, not a financial adviser, perform your due diligence). | Have a look at https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Outline_of_Non-US_domiciles

TedSwippet

Post by TedSwippet » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:23 am

longleaf wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:10 am
Ideally, VT. No bias.
VT would be a bad choice for a lot of US non-resident aliens. The Ireland domiciled equivalent, VWRD, is far better for most. Same assets, but unlike VT it offers full insulation from the US's objectionable taxes on investments held by non-resident aliens.

longleaf

Post by longleaf » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:43 am

Pardon my lack of knowledge on taxes
Frugality, indexing, time.

TedSwippet

Post by TedSwippet » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:14 am

longleaf wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:43 am
Pardon my lack of knowledge on taxes
No worries! Few US investors would even suspect that the US has such confiscatory tax rules for non-resident aliens investing into US domiciled funds and ETFs.

It's just that I didn't want to leave your comment in place as it stood, to avoid possibly misdirecting future readers.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:59 am

Good job!

Many "Thanks" to you and all those who make the wheels go 'round on this forum....including posters and repliers.

Jack B. certainly must have been very proud of this forum.

Bogle-on everyone.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:53 am

The addition of a "forum filter" to allow people who have no interest in, or expertise in, non-US holdings or holdings by non-US residents, would seem to be a good enhancement going forward.

I click on New Posts all the time. Now I have to carefully look and see if any of them are in the non-US section. Not seeing any of those would be my preference, perhaps others. Something to consider, maybe.
Avid user of forums on a variety of interests - financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair and more. Enjoy learning and passing on knowledge.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:35 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:53 pm
Welcome to ¡¡ Bogleheads® España !! (en español) :beer
:beer ¡Muchas gracias! Esto me hace feliz. Ya me inscribí.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:14 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:53 am
The addition of a "forum filter" to allow people who have no interest in, or expertise in, non-US holdings or holdings by non-US residents, would seem to be a good enhancement going forward.

I click on New Posts all the time. Now I have to carefully look and see if any of them are in the non-US section. Not seeing any of those would be my preference, perhaps others. Something to consider, maybe.
you mean here? (pic below) I land here all the time and (if this is what you mean) I agree that not having non-US mixed in here would be a good idea.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:18 am

F150HD wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:14 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:53 am

you mean here? (pic below) I land here all the time and (if this is what you mean) I agree that not having non-US mixed in here would be a good idea.
No, I mean when I click on Quick Links, then New Posts, at the top of the forum. But I would think that something in the forum settings that allows me to not see entire sections in any link would be preferable.
Avid user of forums on a variety of interests - financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair and more. Enjoy learning and passing on knowledge.

Teague

Post by Teague » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:20 am

A grand tip o' the hat to forum administrators, moderators, and owners. We pay nothing for this site, yet these folks work tirelessly toward improvement, even if the changes mean an increased ongoing workload for them. :beer
Semper Augustus

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:30 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:18 am
No, I mean when I click on Quick Links, then New Posts, at the top of the forum. But I would think that something in the forum settings that allows me to not see entire sections in any link would be preferable.
I see. Comparing side by side, that is the exact same list as what I referred to, just a diff path to it apparently. I loaded each of those (#1 #2) simultaneously and they were each the same set of current links.
Sounds like we're talking about the same thing then, and I still agree :thumbsup

Oicuryy

Post by Oicuryy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:44 am

A nit: the home page view=2 does not group the new forums correctly.
https://www.bogleheads.org/index.php?view=2&ndays=1

Ron
Money is fungible | Abbreviations and Acronyms

ICH

Post by ICH » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:42 pm

Cool idea :sharebeer

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:25 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
[No, I mean when I click on Quick Links, then New Posts, at the top of the forum. But I would think that something in the forum settings that allows me to not see entire sections in any link would be preferable.
You want to 'filter out' threads like this, correct? Is/was there a setting for that currently? (even before the upgrade?)

At least the title says South Africa so its easier to skip, but without that one wouldn't know until reading it.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:34 pm

F150HD wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:25 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
[No, I mean when I click on Quick Links, then New Posts, at the top of the forum. But I would think that something in the forum settings that allows me to not see entire sections in any link would be preferable.
You want to 'filter out' threads like this, correct? Is/was there a setting for that currently? (even before the upgrade?)

At least the title says South Africa so its easier to skip, but without that one wouldn't know until reading it.
It's in the Non-US section, so I don't even want to read the title, simply filter out all the non-US sections of the forum. Otherwise, I could see replying to a thread without catching that it's a non-US-specific question, and giving wrong info.

Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:18 pm

Oicuryy wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:44 am

Ron
Nit noted, thanks.

=========================
As noted earlier, anyone who would like a thread moved to a new forum (Non-US investing, Spain, UEA, Non-US local chapters), please report the post using the "!" in the top-right corner of the post. One of the reasons is "Wrong forum".

Many thanks to the members who are doing just that. So far, 407 topics have been moved to the non-US investing forum.

Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:21 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:34 pm
F150HD wrote:
RickBoglehead wrote:

It's in the Non-US section, so I don't even want to read the title, simply filter out all the non-US sections of the forum. Otherwise, I could see replying to a thread without catching that it's a non-US-specific question, and giving wrong info.
To view US-only threads, click on the US Investors category under the Board index.

annebert

Post by annebert » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:05 pm

It's beautiful and thoughtfully designed. Thanks to all who made this possible.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:12 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:21 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:34 pm
F150HD wrote:
RickBoglehead wrote:

To view US-only threads, click on the US Investors category under the Board index.
Thanks, but that shows all threads. I want to see NEW posts, US only.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:31 pm

I would like to see Unread Posts, US only. Possible? My current bookmark is:
search.php?search_id=unreadposts
“Some depart to remain.” "A squirrel is just a rat with a cuter outfit." - Carrie Bradshaw

Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:34 pm

RickBoglehead - You have a valid point. The way to do this cleanly is to create a few user-defined groups, such as "US Only" or "Non-US Only", which will appear in your User Control Panel (Usergroups). You join whichever group who's posts you want to see (or not). Then, everything you view will be what you want.

That requires planning and testing, which must be done carefully. I don't have a time frame when this will happen, but it's on our list of things to do.

(This will also help with TimeRunner's request.)

CABob

Post by CABob » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:53 pm

Is my observation and assumption correct that this new layout does not change the bogleheads.org view? Non US posts, topics, etc. are not distinguished?
Bob

Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:09 pm

CABob wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:53 pm
Is my observation and assumption correct that this new layout does not change the bogleheads.org view? Non US posts, topics, etc. are not distinguished?
Yes, the non-US posts et al will appear in the bogleheads.org. view as they have heretofore done. However, they will be tagged with their new forum and subforum designations.

Code: Select all

Subforum key:
h = Investing - Help with Personal Investments
t = Investing - Theory, News & General
p = Personal Finance
n = Non-US Investing
s = Spain
u = United Arab Emirates
c = Personal Consumer Issues
l = US Local Chapters
I = Non-US Local Chapters
f = Forum Issues and Administration
regards
Image | blb | December Birthday Celebration: Ludwig van Beethoven

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:15 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:34 pm
RickBoglehead - You have a valid point. The way to do this cleanly is to create a few user-defined groups, such as "US Only" or "Non-US Only", which will appear in your User Control Panel (Usergroups). You join whichever group who's posts you want to see (or not). Then, everything you view will be what you want.

That requires planning and testing, which must be done carefully. I don't have a time frame when this will happen, but it's on our list of things to do.

(This will also help with TimeRunner's request.)
Exactly!

Thanks.

CarpeDiem22

Post by CarpeDiem22 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:30 pm

Thanks for the changes. I hope manual classification of ALL posts into US and non-US does not take up too much of moderator time. What separates this forum from the rest is high quality of moderatorship and I hope that does not get diluted.

carol-brennan

Post by carol-brennan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:44 pm

Great forum, but this place would gain a lot by moving to a more modern software platform like xenforo. Real-time notifications, the ability to "like" posts, @ mentions, and much, much more would increase user engagement and, most of all, let users know when their posts are appreciated.

Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:31 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:18 pm
Oicuryy wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:44 am

Ron
Nit noted, thanks.

=========================
As noted earlier, anyone who would like a thread moved to a new forum (Non-US investing, Spain, UEA, Non-US local chapters), please report the post using the "!" in the top-right corner of the post. One of the reasons is "Wrong forum".

Many thanks to the members who are doing just that. So far, 407 topics have been moved to the non-US investing forum.
Nit fixed, thanks.

GracoEngineer

Post by GracoEngineer » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:13 pm

I just joined forum, have been reading a few months and really enjoy.

With the new layout, the font has become much smaller than it was before and I am having difficulty reading on my tablets/phone. I looked but could not find a preference or setting to make it bigger again.

Can anybody tell me if there is a setting within the forum that will make the text font bigger? Thanks!

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:49 pm

GracoEngineer wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:13 pm
Can anybody tell me if there is a setting within the forum that will make the text font bigger? Thanks!
Ctrl-+ (control plus) or View->zoom->zoom in works for me.
It's in the browser, so may depend on which browser you use.
Bogleheads.org plays well with zooming in and changes the layout as needed. Unlike some websites which acquire a horizontal scroll bar if you zoom in.

zzzZZZzzz

Post by zzzZZZzzz » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:01 pm

For the non-US section: can you provide prefixes for the subject lines? I know other boards that offer this (e.g. [Germany], [China], [Europe], [Other]...) and you can use them as a filter within this section.

Some users already included it in their subject lines but if they are included in the software, filtering would be amazing.

Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:38 pm

We did think about that, but the phpBB software modification which does that is quite limited.

First - it only allows one prefix, which has to be managed by a site administrator (me). Next, how many countries are needed? Quite a few. Then, what do you do with ex-pats, who cover more than one country? Also, those topic prefixes are converted to text - they can't be filtered by prefix.

The better solution would use tags, but the one modification for that is unsupported, buggy, and is far too risky to use in a live environment.

So, the next best thing to do is to manually edit your topic title and insert the prefixes yourself. It will always work and you can search for [prefix] using the built-in or google search engines.

Tip: You can search for text in a topic's title by going to the built-in search engine (the "gear" in the top-right corner of the page, next to the google box), then enter:

Search for keywords: [prefix]
Search within: Topic titles only <--- will look at titles only

That's the best we can do.

ohboy!

Post by ohboy! » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:44 pm

Good to have a division between the US and international. Nationalism lives on :)

Any consideration to change to Xenforo?

Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:09 pm

Not unless there's a driving need to change software. Consider that phpBB is open-source (free!) and regarded as a worthy competitor to paid products (Xenforo is not free).

There are a lot more important things to consider, namely database compatibility and customizations, that would impact a decision to change. Missing a feature, such as tagging, is low on this list.

We're not there by a long-shot, phpBB works just fine.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:17 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:49 pm
GracoEngineer wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:13 pm
Ctrl-+ (control plus) or View->zoom->zoom in works for me.
It's in the browser, so may depend on which browser you use.
I don't think that works for any mobile browser. I wish it would, as there are some sites when viewed on my iPad mini that have tiny fonts. You can pinch-spread, but that expands the whole window and doesn't reflow the text like a true font increase.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.