Log-In Issues January 17th around 5:00 PM CST

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
Random Poster

Log-In Issues January 17th around 5:00 PM CST

Post by Random Poster »

Yesterday, January 17th, the forum apparently automatically logged me out (as in, I didn't log out manually), and then would not let me log in at all.

I would input my user name and password, and I'd keep getting either taken to the basic forum website (but without any indication that I my log in was successful) or to the log-in screen.

If I intentionally provided an incorrect password at log-in, I'd get taken to the "you have entered an incorrect password" screen with a link to contact a Forum Administrator.

But then when I would click on the Forum Administrator link, I'd get a notification that such notifications have been disabled and that, essentially, I couldn't contact anyone.

All of this has been resolved now (obviously, as I am now typing this message), but it leads me to wonder:

If I am unable to log-in to this forum, how am I supposed to contact someone to fix it?

Do I just create a new username and password and get in that way?

Or do I just sit around and hope that whatever issue there is that is causing the problem ultimately gets resolved?
livesoft

Re: Log-In Issues January 17th around 5:00 PM CST

Post by livesoft »

Yesterday was very special because Jack Bogle died. I think the forum was overwhelmed with people logging in.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

From communication I had yesterday with LadyGeek, there was a technical issue that caused the logout and unable to login problems. It was identified and resolved.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

I experienced this problem yesterday, and today too. It seems to fix itself.
Funding secured
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The problem yesterday was a technical issue that was later resolved.

Earlier today, there were some dropouts. A quick check showed that the problem is not the server itself, but getting to the server. (Can't find the website.)

We've had this problem before, which is bad guys mucking up the DNS servers.

Site owner (and server admin) mingstar is aware of the problem and is doing what he can. We don't have control of what happens in the internet.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.