would someone explain to me

Discussions about the forum and contents
mouses

would someone explain to me

Post by mouses » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:03 pm

Why the thread about how we can change our buying and other habits to help the environment seems to have vanished?

I found remnants of it in my cache. It was called Things I can do to reduce carbon footprint.
Last edited by mouses on Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoMoney

Re: would someone explain to me

Post by JoMoney » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:21 pm

Happens all the time with topics that are prone to be controversial. The board is primarily about personal investing, and is heavily moderated.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:23 pm

People can discuss anything under the sun in the consumer board as far as I can tell. I really doubt that helping the planet is controversial. I would love to see whoever deleted this explain their reasoning.

Atomic

Post by Atomic » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:25 pm

Darn. I had a good reply in that thread that gave the OP advice and shared my story on how I took a numbers approach to both conservation and finance and how related they were.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:29 pm

mouses wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:23 pm
People can discuss anything under the sun in the consumer board as far as I can tell. I really doubt that helping the planet is controversial. I would love to see whoever deleted this explain their reasoning.
Not anything, there are rules rules#section-3
Medical stuff "disappears" frequently. Environment / climate related stuff, even when trying to stick to a specific consumer issue, often devolves into stuff that is easier (apparently) to just nip it in the bud rather than trying to constantly prune to keep it within guidelines.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:34 pm

mouses wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:23 pm
You would think, but judging by one of the comments in that thread, helping the planet is, indeed, controversial.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:40 pm

Please note that discussions related to global warming / climate policy are off-topic. From experience, and as pointed out by quantAndHold, these threads devolve into controversial arguments which are a distraction for the community. From the forum policies:
Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics

If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:

- US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
- conspiracy theories of any type
- discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

TheDDC

Post by TheDDC » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:02 pm

mouses wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:03 pm
Why the thread about how we can change our buying and other habits to help the environment seems to have vanished?

I found remnants of it in my cache. It was called Things I can do to reduce carbon footprint.
Ooh... I'll take a stab at that answer: Because it didn't take long for someone to bring up offing most of the world population or preventing new life from happening as a wonderful "final" solution. There were a few other folks in power in history with the same reputation for treating human life the same (albeit for a whole range of "scientifically beneficial" purposes) and it didn't end well for them or for the free world.

I'm all for conservation that falls into the BH philosophy: make it low cost and easy, and I'll do it. Don't suggest getting rid of human beings or restricting legitimate dietary choices based on an already-formed theory regarding health, another topic that happens to be off limits. I don't come here for political advice or fancy ideas about such things as eliminating half the world's population FBO Mother Earth . I come here for actionable financial ideas.

If I want to complain about or debate climate change supporters treating the issue like their own religion I can always go to the myriad of political forums out there. Very few places are like bogelheads with the top notice advice I get here and almost zero politics involved. I trust the mods to keep to that philosophy.

-TheDDC

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:12 pm

TheDDC has the correct answer (controversial). See: Personal Consumer Issues, last paragraph.
This subforum is focused on making informed decisions about consumer goods and services (other than investing or financial).

Acceptable topics include:

- consumer goods and services (e.g., dress shirts, laptops, software)
- home maintenance
- vehicle purchases and maintenance
- leisure and recreational activities: travel, sports, entertainment

Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
It's also why we don't permit discussions related to global warming / climate change in: Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics
If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
  • US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
  • conspiracy theories of any type
  • discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
That being said, discussions of moderator actions are not open for public debate. See: Member Rights in a Dispute , second paragraph.

We will be glad to answer further questions via PM.

(Thread locked to end discussion.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.