Re: Rating system for posts/posters ?

Post by GoldStar » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:54 pm

iceport wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:41 pm
knpstr wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:31 pm
davidsorensen32 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:12 pm
Whoa !! 40 posts in 12 hours !! Hope admins are noticing the interest.
To be fair, most of the comments are going against your suggestion or are merely chatter (like this post), there are only 3 or so comments out of the 40+ agreeing with or suggesting something similar to what you said.
Seriously humorous! 8-) The overwhelming majority of the responses express pointed disinterest in the OP's suggestion.
LOL - With at least two posts that I noticed implying (with quotations from other posts) that the OP does exactly what he is accusing others of doing.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:56 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:46 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:08 am
BL wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:48 am
I do miss seeing the date joined and number of posts made that I saw on the bigger screen. That helped me as a newbie.
It's still there. I see you joined Sunday, Mar 1, 2009 at 3:28pm and have 8196 posts.
I see it from a computer - but not from my smartphone (Android-Chrome). I'm guessing BL is on a tablet or Smartphone.
It looks the same to me, only smaller, on the iPad as it does on desktop. What underlying method are you using to read the forum? For me it's Firefox for iOs.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

BL

Post by BL » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:01 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:56 pm
GoldStar wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:46 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:08 am
BL wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:48 am
I do miss seeing the date joined and number of posts made that I saw on the bigger screen. That helped me as a newbie.
It's still there. I see you joined Sunday, Mar 1, 2009 at 3:28pm and have 8196 posts.
I see it from a computer - but not from my smartphone (Android-Chrome). I'm guessing BL is on a tablet or Smartphone.
It looks the same to me, only smaller, on the iPad as it does on desktop. What underlying method are you using to read the forum? For me it's Firefox for iOs.
Thanks, I have it set to larger print and that was my problem. I thought it was lost due to a different setting.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:26 pm

davidsorensen32 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:21 pm
+1000000000

Brilliant suggestion. I completely agree. I second this. Admin what would it take to make this happen ?
JHU ALmuni wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:19 pm
What I think will be useful for this forum is having to ability to rate answers and highest rated answer will move to the top of the page. This way if you find old question that is applicable to you, you can read/find best answers relatively quick without having to read all answers/multiple pages.
As I asked in a previous post here: "Who rates the raters?" Meaning who decides who has the "ability to rate answers," to decide "best answers," and who decides the criteria for the ratings?
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:42 pm

Fallible wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:26 pm
davidsorensen32 wrote:
+1000000000

Brilliant suggestion. I completely agree. I second this. Admin what would it take to make this happen ?
JHU ALmuni wrote:
What I think will be useful for this forum is having to ability to rate answers and highest rated answer will move to the top of the page. This way if you find old question that is applicable to you, you can read/find best answers relatively quick without having to read all answers/multiple pages.
As I asked in a previous post here: "Who rates the raters?" Meaning who decides who has the "ability to rate answers," to decide "best answers," and who decides the criteria for the ratings?
Another reason this "best-post-first" approach would not work is that most posts here have a range of opinions and no "right" answers.

I used to ask questions on a forum for non-linear video-editing software. I would post an issue -- usually a bug. Some world-class expert would say something like "import the video clip in question, reverse its direction, then reverse its direction again and that should fix everything." It was a bug-fix and it was the answer [and that was an actual answer, btw]. Most of us here can Google the easy stuff; no one ask for the 403(b) contribution limit for 2019, for example. There are few questions here that have an answer like the example I just gave.

That, and the fact that some of the best content on this forum is the meta-content -- posts about posts -- and you'd lose the sequential aspect of accumulating wisdom and dawning understanding as the thread progresses.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

MJW

Post by MJW » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:44 pm

davidsorensen32 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:49 pm
Hello Admins, just thinking aloud - how do you feel about incorporating some sort of rating system for posts (or posters) ? The reason is as we've grown in leaps and bounds, I'm sure you've noticed a lot of pretty low quality posts these days. Random opinions without facts, distorted data, illogical inferences, and the most frustrating of all - enormous but completely content free posts. Long, wieldy sentences that mean absolutely nothing. People with too much time on their hands venting mumbo jumbo gibberish. On one hand we have posters like Taylor, KlangFool, nisiprius, Raybo, Homer, livesoft , triceratop who post brilliant insightful posts. And on the other hand you have pretty useless chaps who are a huge time sink at best.

Perhaps incorporating some sort of a rating system would allow folks to self police and let visitors to the board quickly sort through the good posts/posters and ignore the bad ones ? We skip over repeat offenders with low scores. What do you think ? IMO at our scale some sort of quality control is necessary to keep the board relevant and informative.
In any forum I’ve followed that has utilized a rating system for content and/or members, it has served as little more than a popularity contest with highly subjective and questionable criteria for assigning “worthiness.”

If you are as put off as you appear to be by the lack of quality or standards on this forum, what makes you think that the masses are any more capable of distinguishing valuable content or contributions than they are of providing their own?

I agree with the poster that mentioned the consumer issues section could see stronger moderation for overtly irrelevant or judgmental responses (those meant in jest, notwithstanding). But what constitutes “garbage” in other sections? At what point are we moderating to a degree that discourages people from asking genuine questions or offering well-intentioned feedback?

I would much rather ignore posts or posters that I do not feel add value to my experience with the forum than be told by someone else who I should or shouldn’t like.

If there is anything about the forum I would like to see moderately more closely, it is the casual incivility that rears itself through intellectual snobbery, condescension and know-it-all-ism. My sense is that this has become more rampant as of late compared to, say, a couple of years ago when I first began following Bogleheads.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:49 pm

👎 It works pretty well as it is. I recognize the avatars of the posters I'm most interested in as I scroll and skim the rest of the posts. If it doesn't interest me, I ignore it.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:50 pm

daveydoo wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:42 pm
Fallible wrote:
davidsorensen32 wrote:
+1000000000

JHU ALmuni wrote:
Another reason this "best-post-first" approach would not work is that most posts here have a range of opinions and no "right" answers.

I used to ask questions on a forum for non-linear video-editing software. I would post an issue -- usually a bug. Some world-class expert would say something like "import the video clip in question, reverse its direction, then reverse its direction again and that should fix everything." It was a bug-fix and it was the answer [and that was an actual answer, btw]. Most of us here can Google the easy stuff; no one ask for the 403(b) contribution limit for 2019, for example. There are few questions here that have an answer like the example I just gave.

That, and the fact that some of the best content on this forum is the meta-content -- posts about posts -- and you'd lose the sequential aspect of accumulating wisdom and dawning understanding as the thread progresses.
Excellent points and example that reflect all-important individual differences and judgements, which, btw, this forum is well known for and what many of us come for.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Post by 2015 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:59 pm

Fallible wrote:
davidsorensen32 wrote:
+1000000000

JHU ALmuni wrote:
Exactly. Censorship is a dangerous thing.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:32 pm

I vote "NO" on the grading system. I am still in shock from my high school grading system!!

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:36 pm

No, there will be not be any rating system.

(Thread locked to end discussion. See: Locked Topics, there is no point to continue.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.