New Forum User - how fast do PM get sent?

Discussions about the forum and contents
amiller7x7

New Forum User - how fast do PM get sent?

Post by amiller7x7 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:54 pm

I have sent PM’s back to each of the 11 commenters on my Boglehead Forum post (which requested investment advice on my portfolio) in which I thank them for their inputs and comments. However, it seems some messages go through right away and are shown in the Sent file (and a couple of responding posters have thanked me back) but another set of thank you posts are shown in the Out file but not in the Sent file. In the last couple of hours, two of the Out file have migrated to the Sent file so it seems like they get sent over time. Is this normal? Thanks!

PFInterest

Re: New Forum User - how fast do PM get sent?

Post by PFInterest » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:58 pm

no idea. they have been otherwise instantaneous for me.

prudent

Post by prudent » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:03 pm

They stay in your Outbox until the recipient reads it. Then it will move to your Sent Messages folder.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:05 pm

PMs stay in the outbox until it has been read by the recipient. See: Was my private message read?

When you "send" the PM it goes to the outbox and waits.

When a member logs in and reads the PM (that's two things), it moves from the outbox to the "sent" folder.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

amiller7x7

Post by amiller7x7 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:10 pm

Thanks for the explanation! I just didn’t understand the Outbox vs Sent file significance!

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:32 pm

amiller7x7 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:54 pm
I have sent PM’s back to each of the 11 commenters on my Boglehead Forum post (which requested investment advice on my portfolio) in which I thank them for their inputs and comments. However, it seems some messages go through right away and are shown in the Sent file (and a couple of responding posters have thanked me back) but another set of thank you posts are shown in the Out file but not in the Sent file. In the last couple of hours, two of the Out file have migrated to the Sent file so it seems like they get sent over time. Is this normal? Thanks!
It's nice that you sent PM's to thank portfolio reviewers and commenters. Not many do and it make the effort worthwhile. Most of the active reviewers are very busy and will get back to you in a few days or so if you have questions.
The PM system is a good way to get continuing help, especially if it is tangental to the original post.

Aloha
j

cfs

Post by cfs » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:08 pm

To the OP - Sending a PM to those helping is commendable. One thing with the PM system, you can use the settings to receive an email notification each time a member sends you a PM. Good luck, y gracias por leer ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

goingup

Post by goingup » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:47 pm

That was nice to PM all respondents. It's more common to just respond in the thread you started to thank respondents and to communicate which suggestions were helpful, etc. Either way, I always appreciate it when the OP circles back to comment. Abandoned threads are discourteous. :annoyed