Forum is logging me out again

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
AAA

Forum is logging me out again

Post by AAA »

In the past, I had an issue with having to log in to the forum almost every day (despite checking the box to be kept logged in). I use Safari on a Mac with up to date software. There didn't seem to be any solution to this at the time, but then, possibly after a forum software update a few months ago, the forum was keeping me logged in so I thought the issue was finally resolved. Now it has come back and I'm just wondering if there was a change to the forum software recently that might have caused this and if others are having this issue.
bloom2708

Re: Forum is logging me out again

Post by bloom2708 »

Are you clearing your History/Cookies/Cache upon closing the browser or manually?

If you clear or do not save cookies (setting), then it will not remember your settings.
Topic Author
AAA

Post by AAA »

bloom2708 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:57 am Are you clearing your History/Cookies/Cache upon closing the browser or manually?

If you clear or do not save cookies (setting), then it will not remember your settings.
That could be it. I'll investigate. Thanks.
Topic Author
AAA

Post by AAA »

bloom2708 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:57 am Are you clearing your History/Cookies/Cache upon closing the browser or manually?

So I made sure not to clear anything out and the forum kept me logged in for about a week until I had to log in yesterday. Today an odd thing happened - it showed me as logged in and when I clicked on a new notification, I was not logged in on the page it took me to. This also used to happen back when I was having these issues a few months ago. If no one else is having any issues, I will assume it's something about my computer and/or browser configuration.
cfs

Post by cfs »

I use a laptop, and no issues here Triple A, please check your computer settings again. Good luck, y gracias por leer ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Do you have more than one browser window open, perhaps one "normal" window and one for private browsing? Your browser has a set of cookies for each mode (normal and private).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
AAA

Post by AAA »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:10 pm Do you have more than one browser window open, perhaps one "normal" window and one for private browsing? Your browser has a set of cookies for each mode (normal and private).
I use multiple tabs (in Safari) but not multiple windows, and I don't use private browsing.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Is your Safari software up to date? I use Safari and never have the problems you describe. I update my Safari (and all my Mac software) religiously. Also, are you running the most up to date version of the High Sierra operating system?
Topic Author
AAA

Post by AAA »

Safari is up to date but I am still in MacOS Sierra. I usually like to stay a bit behind until all the bugs are worked out.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

I think it is more likely to be some software setting or a browser extension or updated forum software rather than the compatibility or recentness of the operating system or browser software, as long as they are reasonably up-to-date.

Start investigating with the Safari Preferences tabs for Security and Extensions.

The forum cookies expire a year after creation but a change in any of the software involved might require new ones. You can also inadvertently delete or clear cookies in various settings. Sometimes cookies simply become corrupt.

You might also decide to accept that you will occasionally have to log in again. If it it is a problem, you might consider password software that logs you in automatically. You can also check Safari Preferences for AutoFill to make it easier.

Something else you might consider is switching to a different browser such as Chrome that will not only auto fill the user name and password but also sign in automatically but this doesn't seem like a sufficient reason to switch browsers, on its own.
Topic Author
AAA

Post by AAA »

Thanks for all the suggestions. So far, this episode of being logged out is not as bad as a few months ago when it was pretty much a daily occurrence.